Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2017, 19:09   #1771
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Looks like the whole section has been washed away!
Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-virajpet_route.png

PS: This pic is a screengrab taken from a video that is circulating in WhatsApp!
Old 20th July 2017, 19:23   #1772
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
If to Payyanur, You can go via this route. I regularly take this route to Kanhangad (a place 30kms before Payyanur)

https://goo.gl/maps/vYrc2ASu5xr
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbalagru6 View Post
This Saturday we are planning for a trip to Payyanur (Avisa Beach House) Any good alternate routes? Highly appreciate a quick repsonse
Route suggested by balenoed is good but do keep an eye out for news around Madikeri as even Kodagu district has been receiving heavy rains over the last few days and its supposed to continue for the next 3-4 days.
Old 20th July 2017, 22:08   #1773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
If to Payyanur, You can go via this route. I regularly take this route to Kanhangad (a place 30kms before Payyanur)

This route is safe anytime of the day and good roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Refer to the below link with regard to my Kanhangad trip in the last week of May 2017 for details on the route for onward and return journey

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...kanhangad.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayoojl View Post
Allternate route is via mananthavady-Boys town-periya-nidumpoil-kuthuparamba . From mananthavady till the ghat section ,OK ish road with potholes here and there. near to Ghat section few kms is broken. After that good roads all the way till kuthuparamba.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
For a day journey:
Bangalore-Mysore-HD Kote- Bavali-kattikulam-Mananthavady-perya ghats-Kuthuparamba-Kannur-Taliparamba-Payyannur
The forest section between HD kote and Bavali is closed for traffic from 6 PM to 6 AM.

For night journey:
Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Kutta-Kattikulam-Mananthavady-Periya ghats-Kuthuparamba-Kannur-Taliparamba-Payyannur.
Thanks for details Google map suggesting one more route via Kunigal-> CR Patna-> Hassan-> Sakleshpur-> Subrahmanya-> Sullia-> Kasaragod. Is there any advantage in taking that route? Or stick to the one suggested by balenoed?
Old 20th July 2017, 22:41   #1774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbalagru6 View Post
Thanks for details Google map suggesting one more route via Kunigal-> CR Patna-> Hassan-> Sakleshpur-> Subrahmanya-> Sullia-> Kasaragod. Is there any advantage in taking that route? Or stick to the one suggested by balenoed?
Shiradi ghat that comes after Sakleshpur is in a bad state. (I traveled via that last weekend). And this route that you got from google map is not at all advised for a first timer on this stretch. Absolutely no advantage.

Like I already said, under present circumstances of Virajpet route being closed, the route that I suggested is good for you unless otherwise you have a strong desire to go along with what google map says

Just have a search in google tomorrow night to see if there are any reports of any issues around Madikeri due to extreme rains. Very unlikely, but just as a precaution.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 20th July 2017 at 22:43.
Old 21st July 2017, 14:40   #1775
Senior - BHPian

Here are couple of videos showing the damage!

Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 15:24   #1776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Here are couple of videos showing the damage!
The damage is quite substantial. The lake seems to be draining out literally through the breached section.
As per media reports, we are looking at a few months blockade on the route. The Coorg district administration is not clear what has to be done, as of now.
Old 21st July 2017, 16:50   #1777
BHPian

Quote:
There is another route from Mananthavady to Payyanur, via Boys town-palchuram-Kottiyoor-Peravoor-Iritty-irikkur-Sreekandapuram-Taliparamba but I am not sure how comfortable would a new comer on that route would be. Also, the boys town ghat (palchuram) is very steep.
Yes, the ghat is very steep in this route. But can be done, since a novice like me had done it in Alto 800 (two years back). Iritty-Irikkur-Srikandapuram-Thaliparamba has its own share of twists and turns. Good roads though, and traffic would also be rare.
Old 22nd July 2017, 14:22   #1778
BHPian

Media report says the road 8s closed for 45 days.
Old 22nd July 2017, 14:36   #1779
BHPian

People who travels to north of Thalipparamba can take Gonikoppal - Virajpet - Bhagamandala - Panathur - Payyanur route. It will be a great drive in monsoon... after Virajpet towards Bhagamandala, you can take small detours and see Chelavara falls, Thalacauvery etc.
Old 22nd July 2017, 15:14   #1780
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
People who travels to north of Thalipparamba can take Gonikoppal - Virajpet - Bhagamandala - Panathur - Payyanur route. It will be a great drive in monsoon... after Virajpet towards Bhagamandala, you can take small detours and see Chelavara falls, Thalacauvery etc.
Roads around Bhagamandala were submerged and the home guard was apparently called in for flood relief. Virajpet - Bhagamandala might not be a good option.
Source - http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...le19319486.ece
Old 24th July 2017, 09:50   #1781
BHPian

Reconstruction of the damaged section near Perumbadi lake has been started, says the FB post of Kerala RTC Bengaluru (https://www.facebook.com/keralartcba...70961093001256).

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-capture.jpg
ajishanand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 12:09   #1782
BHPian

Quote:
For a day journey:
Bangalore-Mysore-HD Kote- Bavali-kattikulam-Mananthavady-perya ghats-Kuthuparamba-Kannur-Taliparamba-Payyannur
The forest section between HD kote and Bavali is closed for traffic from 6 PM to 6 AM.

For night journey:
Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Kutta-Kattikulam-Mananthavady-Periya ghats-Kuthuparamba-Kannur-Taliparamba-Payyannur.

There is another route from Mananthavady to Payyanur, via Boys town-palchuram-Kottiyoor-Peravoor-Iritty-irikkur-Sreekandapuram-Taliparamba but I am not sure how comfortable would a new comer on that route would be. Also, the boys town ghat (palchuram) is very steep.
How are the roads Gonikoppal - Kutta - Kattikulam?

Also any idea about the state via boys town - palchuram? I don't mind twisties but back breaking roads will make me think twice.

Thanks!
Old 25th July 2017, 12:14   #1783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shefiu View Post
How are the roads Gonikoppal - Kutta - Kattikulam?

Also any idea about the state via boys town - palchuram? I don't mind twisties but back breaking roads will make me think twice.

Thanks!
Gonikopp-Kutta Kattikulam is good. Most Bangalore-Kozhikode private buses and KSRTC buses take this route daily.

Boys town-Palchuram road had a few potholes when I last traveled. Could be worse now after the monsoons. The Ghat is very steep.
Old 25th July 2017, 12:46   #1784
BHPian

Hey guys! I knew this would be the most active thread on the route queries section given recent incidents

My parents are regulars on the Mysore - Payyanur route. They had gone to Payyanur before the rains and are set to return on Thursday. The usual route of Payyanur-Talipramba-Srikandapuram-Irrity-Makuta-Virajpet-Gonikoppal-Mysore is obviously out of commission, and hence they are looking for options. They are considering taking the Payyanur-Kannur-Kuthuparamba-Mananthavady-Kattikulam-Bavali- HD Kote - Mysore route.

Since my mom is almost 60 and she will be driving with my dad who is almost 70, I would request those have have done both these routes to give me a comparo. They are quite comfortable on the usual route, but would not want any other route that would be significantly more challenging (in terms of steeper ghats/ narrower roads etc). Keeping that in mind, is the mananthavady route best? Is it significantly different in terms of difficulty? If so,is there any other possible route that will be easier? They will be in a Baleno CVT.

Thanks,
Kaushik

Last edited by kaushik60 : 25th July 2017 at 12:47.
Old 25th July 2017, 16:51   #1785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik60 View Post
Hey guys! I knew this would be the most active thread on the route queries section given recent incidents

My parents are regulars on the Mysore - Payyanur route. They had gone to Payyanur before the rains and are set to return on Thursday. The usual route of Payyanur-Talipramba-Srikandapuram-Irrity-Makuta-Virajpet-Gonikoppal-Mysore is obviously out of commission, and hence they are looking for options. They are considering taking the Payyanur-Kannur-Kuthuparamba-Mananthavady-Kattikulam-Bavali- HD Kote - Mysore route.

Since my mom is almost 60 and she will be driving with my dad who is almost 70, I would request those have have done both these routes to give me a comparo. They are quite comfortable on the usual route, but would not want any other route that would be significantly more challenging (in terms of steeper ghats/ narrower roads etc). Keeping that in mind, is the mananthavady route best? Is it significantly different in terms of difficulty? If so,is there any other possible route that will be easier? They will be in a Baleno CVT.

Thanks,
Kaushik
I strongly recommend that you advice your parents to use this route. It might look a long detour on the map, but will meet all your conditions.
Good and wide roads, no steep ghats, no isolated stretches, less challenging than the usual route, can travel anytime during the day. And it is not that far a detour when compared to the other alternative of going via Mananthavady road.

Payyanur - Kanhangad - Sullya - Madikeri - Mysore
https://goo.gl/maps/MPwz8WUEvaJ2

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-sullya.jpg

Last edited by balenoed_ : 25th July 2017 at 17:11.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks