Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2017, 12:25   #1831
Senior - BHPian

I drove from Bangalore to Kannur today morning. Started from Electronic City @3.30AM and reached Kannur @10AM. Took Iritty-Mattanur route this time, and it is OK during day time and needs to be careful if you are driving in the night.
Old 26th December 2017, 16:28   #1832
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Planning to drive from Bangalore to Iritty for a family event over the first weekend of 2018. I plan to visit Kannur town and the famous Parasinikadavu Muthappan Temple as well. I intend to stay at Iritty. Planning to follow the below route:
Bangalore > Srirangapatna > Hunsur > Gonikoppal > Vayathur > Iritty > Mattanur > Kannur.
As indicated I plan to visit Parasinikadavu temple and take the Irikkur route back to Iritty. Some help required:
1. Condition of the roads? any possible pit falls that i need to avoid - e.g. hair pin curves.
2. Any suggested restaurants that we can use as pit stop? going with family hence the question.
3. Any restrictions at night driving through the forest zone (similar to the one that exists at Bandipur/Mudumalai reserves).
4. Duration of time needed to reach Kannur from Bangalore (Starting from Whitefield). Plan to leave WFD at 0500am on a saturday morning. I am not a speedster, but someone who likes to keep the car between 60 to 70 kmph on single lane highways.

thanks in advance for the tips.
Old 28th December 2017, 09:25   #1833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleTank View Post
1. Condition of the roads? any possible pit falls that i need to avoid - e.g. hair pin curves.
Bangalore - Srirangapatna - Eliwala - Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Makutta - Koottupuzha - Iritty route is in good shape except for few KMs post koottupuzha due to road work. The KA-KL border bridge is narrow and only one vehicle can go at a time. The ghat section will be foggy specially in evening. Iritty - Kannur route via Mattanur is not in good shape due to road work. If your destination in Parassinikkadavu, then taking Irikur - Peruvalathu parambu - Mayyil will be easier (https://goo.gl/maps/SCPy4ZRDutx), I don't have latest update on the road condition beyond peruvalathuparambu.

Quote:
2. Any suggested restaurants that we can use as pit stop? going with family hence the question.
Since you are starting at 5am, better to have breakfast before you leave Mysore road (may be at Madhur area). Beyond that options are less though you will get few at Hunsur highway side. Gonikoppal is the next town, but it is around 40-50minutes travel. After Gonikoppal, there is one restaurant at Perumbadi Checkpost

Quote:
3. Any restrictions at night driving through the forest zone (similar to the one that exists at Bandipur/Mudumalai reserves).
No restriction in this route, still better to avoid late night journey.

Quote:
4. Duration of time needed to reach Kannur from Bangalore (Starting from Whitefield). Plan to leave WFD at 0500am on a saturday morning. I am not a speedster, but someone who likes to keep the car between 60 to 70 kmph on single lane highways.
Estimate 5-6hours to Iritty on a relaxed drive
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 10:43   #1834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Planning to drive from Bangalore to Iritty for a family event over the first weekend of 2018. I plan to visit Kannur town and the famous Parasinikadavu Muthappan Temple as well.
If you are driving directly to Parassini, as RajeshK suggested, Irikkur-Mayyil-Parassini is the best option. Ideal time to be in Parassini temple would be after 3 when the Muthappan vellattam would be going on, but I am not sure weather vellattam would be scheduled now when the Kunnathurpadi Muthappan festival is going on.

When in Kannur, don't miss the beaches - Payyambalam, and Chal/Meenkunnu beach. Both are charming: chal beach the less crowded one of the two.
If you are a non vegetarian, do not miss tasting the Chicken Biriyani at MVK Restaurant, SM road. Parking is non existent near the hotel, so park the car somewhere else and take an auto. You could park near the SN park/ inside 'City centre' shopping mall paid parking on Fort road or the new bus stand. Also, buy Banana chips from a small manufacturing unit near 'Sree Krishnan Koil', market road. You won't get such quality chips anywhere else I bet. Again, don't dare to take your car there. The MVK and the chips shop is close-by.
Disclaimer: I have no commercial connection/interest in any of the recommended shops/restaurants)
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 13:11   #1835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. Any suggested restaurants that we can use as pit stop?
You can chose "Cafe County" restaurant at Hunsur. If you are right on time with your 5AM start, then you should reach there by 8:30AM. If you are late with the start, then at some place just before reaching Mysore. (Say, Adigas at Maddur)

And then "Coorg Gate" at just the start of down hill ghat at Perumbadi for a refreshment if you would like to.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 19:18   #1836
BHPian

thanks a ton RajeskK for the route map and the detailed inputs. I will use the maps suggested by you as well as pay heed that i avoid after sun-down driving. Absolutely appreciate taking time out in providing a detailed layout.

Sandsun7: Will inquire the Vellattam timings, plan to visit the temple on Saturday (6th Jan) also will not miss the beaches and the biryani and all the detailed instructions that you've provided. I will also splurge some money on banana chips at Sri Krishnan Koil outlet, bro you've got a fan in me for all the fine details.

And balenoed, thank to you as well for the inputs. will mark these restaurants on my google maps as way points and halt at one of them for either breakfast/lunch depending upon where I am and at what time.

thanks again for the detailed explanation, I can go to Kannur armed with all the info that you three have provided. I shall post my trip in brief once am back with some snaps.

Cheers, happy and safe driving.
Old 1st January 2018, 19:36   #1837
Senior - BHPian

Made a quick dash to Kannur on 29th Morning and returned on 31st afternoon. Took my usual route on the way up - Mysore (KRS road-Yelwal bypass)-Hunsur-Virajpet bypass-Makutta-Koottupuzha-Vallithod-Ulikkal-Irikkur-Mayyil-Kannur.

Roads remain excellent throughout. The ghat section is holding up really well, except one large pothole at one of the curves.
While returning, tried the regular route Via Mattannur-Iritty. Most of the work is done in the Mattannur-Iritty stretch. The completed stretches are beautiful :
W-i-d-e with super-smooth surface. There a few diversions in place where work is progressing really fast. The Iritty-Kootupuzha stretch is a different story altogather. Diversions literally every km, some very narrow stretches and dug up portions. Could be risky at night if not careful.
Under the current conditions, the best route I can suggest is Kootupuzha-Vallithode-Ulikkal-Iritty-Mattannur. .
Google maps link here (kootupuzha onwards) : https://goo.gl/zgtazg

First two Pics are of the completed stretch, next two, WIP Iritty-Kootupuzha stretch

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-img_20171231_144638.jpg

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-img_20171231_144640.jpg

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-img_20171231_151039.jpg
sandsun7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 20:12   #1838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
It is clear now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Ghat road continue to be good though there are signs of damages on the sides. Koottupuzha to Iritty, road work is going on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I drove from Bangalore to Kannur today morning. Started from Electronic City @3.30AM and reached Kannur @10AM. Took Iritty-Mattanur route this time
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
you can try this: https://goo.gl/Zk65w4 (Kootupuzha-Vallithode-Ulikkal-Irikkur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Made a quick dash to Kannur
Under the current conditions, the best route I can suggest is Kootupuzha-Vallithode-Ulikkal-Iritty-Mattannur. .
Google maps link here (kootupuzha onwards) : https://goo.gl/zgtazg
Gentlemen, thanks for this very useful thread and the timely updates on road conditions.

On the 22nd December, started from my house in Kasturi Nagar at 5 am and reached Kannur at 12:30 pm. This is inclusive of an hour long breakfast at The Atrium Boutique Hotel on Bangalore-Mysore Road, near Columbia Asia Hospital. After this it was a non-stop drive till we reached our destination.

Route taken was : Bangalore --> Atrium Boutique hotel, Mysore road --> Bypass Mysore town and hit the ring road --> Honsur --> Gonicuppa --> Virajpetta --> Perumbadi check post --> Ghat section --> Makuttam --> Vallithode--> Iritty --> Mattannur --> Edayannur --> Elayavoor --> Mele Chovva junction (Landmark is a huge watertank) --> Turn Left --> Go straight & cross the railway crossing -->Thottada Junction.

We stayed at the Ocean Hues Beach House for 3 days. (https://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Rev...ct_Kerala.html)

Had an awesome time relaxing at the beach as the weather was just perfect and did some local sight seeing.

Few pics taken at the drive-in beach can be found here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post4332143

Last edited by Keynote : 3rd January 2018 at 20:39. Reason: updated url
Keynote is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 08:04   #1839
Senior - BHPian

I returned from Payyanur to Bangalore on 30th Dec night. Started from Payyanur around 3:00PM and reached Whitefield around 12:30AM. Lost a lot of inside Bangalore town due to white topping at Mysore road

As mentioned above, roads are mostly good. Iritty town was glowing red due to traffic and I bypassed the town as shown below - Road conditions are very good in this section.
Attached Images

Old 4th January 2018, 22:51   #1840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
I returned from Payyanur
As mentioned above, roads are mostly good. Iritty town was glowing red due to traffic and I bypassed the town as shown below - Road conditions are very good in this section.
You would have bypassed the town even if you had taken the regular Madathil-Kootupuzha road instead of Ulikkal-Vallithode route while coming from Taliparamba. The regular Taliparamba-Kootupuzha route does not make you enter the town or cross the Iritty bridge. But you avoided the Work-In-Progress stretches on the Iritty Bridge-Madathil-Vallithode stretch.
Old 9th January 2018, 11:47   #1841
BHPian

I am planning for a short family trip to Kannur around 20th weekend. I see lot of political violence and unplanned hartals in Kannur. Do they affect tourists ? Are vehicles allowed to drive around ?
Old 9th January 2018, 14:32   #1842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedkrish View Post
I am planning for a short family trip to Kannur around 20th weekend. I see lot of political violence and unplanned hartals in Kannur. Do they affect tourists ? Are vehicles allowed to drive around ?
As you correctly mentioned, sometimes harthals happen unplanned in Kannur - some harthals would affect only some localities based on the seriousness of the issue for which they are being called for. And when they do happen, everyone including tourists would be affected. Vehicles, generally including privately owned, wouldn't be allowed to ply for the duration of the harthal. In that sense, harthals is Kannur are notorious. But then, frequency of political issues now are not anywhere near what it used to be a few years ago. If you don't have any friends or relatives in Kannur area, you need to have some plan.

Last edited by Turbopetrol : 9th January 2018 at 14:34.
Old 9th January 2018, 14:39   #1843
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbopetrol View Post
As you correctly mentioned, sometimes harthals happen unplanned in Kannur ...

To add to this, the hartals are enforced typically from 6am to 6pm. So you can plan accordingly.
Best is to avoid travel during hartals.
Old 10th January 2018, 14:00   #1844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I recently drove to Kannur on a hartal day. Instead of leaving early morning from Bangalore, we left Bangalore @8AM, spent couple of hours @ Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary (en route) reached Kerala border @ 4PM and Kannur @ 6 PM. Everything was fine.
Old 20th January 2018, 14:22   #1845
BHPian

Harthal declared in Kannur today (6am to 6pm). Private vehicles are generally plying. Shops are all closed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks