Old 25th July 2017, 19:53   #1786
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

Payyanur - Kanhangad - Sullya - Madikeri - Mysore
https://goo.gl/maps/MPwz8WUEvaJ2

Attachment 1660407
Thanks balenoed. I thought of this option but driving on the NH 66 has its share of madness! My parents seem hell bent on taking the mananthavady route. While I concede that this is probably the easiest route, I was wondering whether the Mananthavady road is significantly more difficult than the Srikandapuram road (which itself is full of curves). If it is then I will veto their plans of taking that route.

In any case, thanks a lot for your advice!
Old 26th July 2017, 08:59   #1787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik60 View Post
I was wondering whether the Mananthavady road is significantly more difficult than the Srikandapuram road (which itself is full of curves).
The route to Mananthavady via Kottiyoor-Palchuram is very steep and will be tricky. The other route via Periya ghats can be done easily compared to the former. Don't know what is the current road condition though.

I think, since Iritty- Virajpet route is closed, traffic would be a problem via Mananthavady. Better to stick with balenoed's suggestion.
Old 26th July 2017, 14:13   #1788
Senior - BHPian

Anybody recently traveled on these routes-

1. Madikeri - Somwarpet - Shanivarasanthe - Channarayapatna
2. Madikeri - Kushal Nagar - Ramanathapura - Channarayapatna

Any update on the condition or preference.
Old 27th July 2017, 12:49   #1789
BHPian

Thanks a lot sandsun! Btw can anyone send the Google maps location for the Nagarhole gate while travelling from Mysore please? I'd like to leave in advance tomorrow while leaving from Mysore to ensure I pass by 6PM or else travel via Kutta
Old 27th July 2017, 14:56   #1790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shefiu View Post
Thanks a lot sandsun! Btw can anyone send the Google maps location for the Nagarhole gate while travelling from Mysore please? I'd like to leave in advance tomorrow while leaving from Mysore to ensure I pass by 6PM or else travel via Kutta
I have never traveled on this route to confirm, but I found it here on the google map. So unless you get a confirmation from someone, consider it is here:-

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-nagar.jpg
Old 27th July 2017, 14:58   #1791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shefiu View Post
https://goo.gl/maps/xjsNU4BSohp

It is around half an hour drive from "Cafe County" in Hunsur.
Old 27th July 2017, 16:57   #1792
Senior - BHPian

Repair work in progress.

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-whatsapp-image-20170727-3.21.11-pm.jpeg

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-whatsapp-image-20170727-3.21.12-pm.jpeg

This looks to be a permanent solution that they are planning. I thought they will construct a proper concrete culvert for the water flow. Not sure how practical it would be for the water to pass through the rocks.
balenoed_ is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 13:54   #1793
Senior - BHPian

Virajpet road is open for LMVs. Just travelled today.

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-img20170731wa0011.jpg
balenoed_ is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 13:26   #1794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Virajpet road is open for LMVs. Just travelled today.

Attachment 1662523
Is it open at night also? One of my friend plans to visit Mattanur after two weeks. He will be starting from Bangalore in the evening. What route should I advise?
Old 2nd August 2017, 13:46   #1795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider_7 View Post
Is it open at night also? One of my friend plans to visit Mattanur after two weeks. He will be starting from Bangalore in the evening. What route should I advise?
Yes, it is open at night as well. I traveled during the day, but I know someone who had traveled over night. Advise the same route.
Old 2nd August 2017, 13:54   #1796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider_7 View Post
The route is open 24x7.
Bangalore-Srirangapatana-Yelwala-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Virajpet-Makutta ghats-Koottupuzha-Iritty-Mattannur.

Google maps link: https://goo.gl/UWTuD1

Road widening is going on in full swing on Koottupuzha-Iritty-Mattannur stretch. There are diversions, so have to be careful during the night.
Suggest him to leave at least by 5-6 PM. There have been a couple of incidences of late night robbery attempts on the Hunsur-Gonikoppal stretch in the past . Would be safe if he can clear this stretch before 10-11 PM.
sandsun7 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 16:05   #1797
BHPian

Thanks guys! I shared these post link with him.

I am aware of the construction work on Iritty-Mattannur route. Are the roads any better now? Last visited the route 3 weeks back.

Thanks in advance!
Old 4th August 2017, 17:39   #1798
BHPian

Hey Bhpains,

Will be going to Kannur for the very first time from Bengaluru in August last week. Any recommendations for the route.
I checked the weather and looks like it's rainy all the time. All ears for any recommendations for Food Pit-stops too.
Old 5th August 2017, 10:38   #1799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Hey Bhpains,

Will be going to Kannur for the very first time from Bengaluru in August last week. Any recommendations for the route.
I checked the weather and looks like it's rainy all the time. All ears for any recommendations for Food Pit-stops too.

Which part of Kannur you are going to? What time of the day you will be starting?

Ideally if you start at 5am you can break at Hunsur for breakfast fast.. there are few hotels like Cafe County, Halli Mane, Rotana etc... food will be avar age only. Lunch you can have at Kannur itself.. if you wanted to skip breakfast at Hunsur, next town is Gonikoppal which is around 40-50minutes drive from Hunsur.
Old 5th August 2017, 22:10   #1800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Hey Bhpains,

Route: This is the popular, fastest route.

Bangalore - Mysore - Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Virajpet - Iritty - Kannur

- You do not have to enter Mysore city. After Srirangapatna, a right diversion towards KRS road which will take you to Hunsur road

- You do not have to go to Virajpet town. There is a bypass road before reaching Virajpet.

- Google at the moment is not showing the actual Gonikoppal - Iritty route. It says closed because of the recent closure of this road. But the road is open from this week, and google will get updated in a while I guess.

As mentioned above, Cafe county is a good pitstop for breakfast if you start around 4-5am.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks