Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2015, 16:48   #1636
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Had a quick solo drive to Payyanur yesterday. Started from Hulimav by 5.15am and reached Payyanur by 11.45am with enough breaks for food and bio-breaks. Took the Srirangapatna - Elivala bypass and it was really scenic in the morning time. The railway underpass is open now and road is newly laid till 1km before the Mysore town - KRS road joins. From there onwards till you reach KRS turn off, road is in bad shape and rough till you reach Elivala. Total condition is manageable and it will take only 20-25minutes (~20km) to cover this stretch.

I planned to have breakfast at hotel Ratna @ Hunsur before the Gonikkoppal turn. But it was not opened at 8am. So had food from the immediate next hotel on left side and it was really nice. Food was really good but don't know about the toilet facilities. Café County is big no-no these days as food quality is really bad.

Road condition is excellent throughout barring the few kms between Srirangapatna - Elivala.
Old 23rd December 2015, 18:35   #1637
BHPian

Am planning for an early start from B'lore to Kannur.

1) What are the good breakfast options available after Hunsur?
2) What are the good breakfast options available after one crosses the Kerala border?

A 4:30AM start generally gets me to the Cafe County @ Hunsur around 7AM or thereabouts. However the food is not really so enticing. Hence exploring other options for tastier food

Any pointers welcome...

This would be mostly a solo trip, hence only the taste and quality of food matters
Old 1st January 2016, 11:32   #1638
BHPian

Came back from Payyanur to Bangalore yesterday. This time for a change, took the Hunsur - Chennarayapatna route to try out the roads and also to avoid the day time traffic in Mysore road. This is the route as per gmap -> https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Hu...12.9000208!3e0

Road condition is very good and there is not even one pothole at any of the stretch. But it cut across many villages and there are many road humps and cattle crossing...!! The route is really scenic, and worth for those who have packed their food. There is no eateries in the entire stretch till you reach CR Patna, so please be aware of that. From CR Patna to my home around 160 odd km took only 2hrs. Though you will be able to avoid all the Mysore road traffic, towns etc, but to me, I feel this is not worth. You are travelling almost 100kms more, paying Rs200/- extra toll.
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 10:35   #1639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Though you will be able to avoid all the Mysore road traffic, towns etc, but to me, I feel this is not worth. You are travelling almost 100kms more, paying Rs200/- extra toll.
For people from North Bangalore, the difference definitely wont be 100 kms. At least to my home (near hebbal) it is roughly around 45 kms extra through this route. The only worry is the expected pile up on toll gates on long weekend sundays.

Also, I noticed that you did not go via Holenarsipur. I feel KR Nagar-Holenarsipur-Channarayapattana would have been shorter and would have less village areas. Except may be a couple of railway crossings. The KR nagar-Holenarsipur stretch was excellent when I did it a year ago.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 2nd January 2016 at 10:42.
Old 2nd January 2016, 11:46   #1640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Also, I noticed that you did not go via Holenarsipur. I feel KR Nagar-Holenarsipur-Channarayapattana would have been shorter and would have less village areas. Except may be a couple of railway crossings. The KR nagar-Holenarsipur stretch was excellent when I did it a year ago.
Sandeep, Yes I didn't took the Holenarsipur route. My initial aim was to take the Nagamangala route and hit Belur Cross (This way we can save Rs40/ toll and 13kms). But it was lunch time and we were not able to find any good hotel, so decided to take the CR Patna route. We had food at LemonTree just before CR Patna while going from KR Pet.
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 09:22   #1641
Senior - BHPian

Drove Kannur-Bangalore yesterday via Hunsur-Holenarsipura-Channarayapatna.
Took a last minute decision to take this route at Hunsur seeing the large number of Bangalore registered vehicles speeding towards mysore/Bangalore side while having lunch at Hunsur.

Started from Hunsur after lunch at around 1 PM, reached Channarayapatna at 2.30 and Bangalore (home near Hebbal) at 4.55 PM. Distance wise, this route is 45 kms more than the regular Mysore-Bangalore road, but took the same amount of time as that of the mysore highway. The drive was stress free except for the many speed humps on the KR Nagar-Holenarsipur-Channarayapatna stretch. Got flagged down by an interceptor a few kms after Channarayapatna on NH 75 for doing 92 kmph on an 80 kmph stretch. Had to pay a fine of Rs. 300. A large number of cars where being flagged down and some where doing 120-130 when flagged.
surprisingly, the toll gates also where relatively empty. Total toll on this stretch up to Gorguntepalya (Yesvantpur) is around Rs. 142.
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 20:39   #1642
Senior - BHPian

Any update on Srirangapatna-Yelwal bypass?
Old 28th January 2016, 12:10   #1643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Any update on Srirangapatna-Yelwal bypass?
It is in the same condition as in RajeshK's post# 1636 above.
Newly laid road is superb - around 6 KMs
The section where the newly laid road ends to KRS turn has become worse. - 5 KMs - Potholes are pretty big now.
KRS turn to Yelawala is rough, but ok.

Overall, it is manageable. But choose between this and Ring Road based on your timing.
Travelled on 23rd Jan

Last edited by MSAneesh : 28th January 2016 at 12:11. Reason: Added the travel date
MSAneesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 16:39   #1644
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to drive to Kannur next week, any update on Srirangapatna-Yelwal bypass?
Or any other latest updates?
Old 25th February 2016, 17:36   #1645
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to drive to Kannur next week, any update on Srirangapatna-Yelwal bypass?

Don't take this now. Road work is going on. I took this yesterday.
Old 9th March 2016, 14:58   #1646
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Did a round trip last week

02-March - Started from ECity @ 4.30 AM and reached Kannur @ 11 AM (with 40 minutes break)

06-March - Started from Kannur @ 11 AM and reached ECity @ 7.15 PM (with 1 hour break)

Cable laying (OFC) is going on newly laid stretch between Hunsur and Coorg (forest area)
Old 10th March 2016, 09:10   #1647
Senior - BHPian

Lot of road work is going on in the KRS road stretch. The first 5-6 kms after the turn off from Srirangapatna is good, but thereafter,at many places, the road is dug up and is without tarmac. It may take a couple of months for the work to be complete. So strongly suggest to use Mysore ORR till then.
Old 20th March 2016, 19:58   #1648
BHPian

Quote:
From KRS turn to Srirangapatna almost completed except a culvert and asphalting almost 1km.
From Eliwala to KRS turn, the work is still going on and road laying is going on. Below video is taken yesterday (excuse for the poor lighting, it was dark and the date was not set correctly)

It took only 20-25minutes to cover this distance

Last edited by RajeshK : 20th March 2016 at 20:05.
RajeshK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2016, 12:14   #1649
BHPian

Came back to bangalore via Srirangapatna-Yelwal bypass. From Yelwal side, first half of the road is in bad condition and second half is good but with lots of speed bumps. Its better to travel via the ring road.
Old 20th April 2016, 13:50   #1650
Senior - BHPian

Did a round trip;

Onward - 8th Apr Friday - Started @ 5.30 AM from Ecity and Reached Kannur @ 12.30 PM (40 minutes break)
Return - 17th Apr Sunday - Started @ 9.15 AM from Kannur and reached Ecity @ 6 PM (1 hour 30 minutes break)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks