Old 19th September 2015, 11:05   #1606
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post

Wonder why ?
No clue Thanks for pointing that out!

here is the link, shortened in bitly : http://bit.ly/1V13T1o

Last edited by sandsun7 : 19th September 2015 at 11:07.
Old 28th September 2015, 09:36   #1607
BHPian

I stay in Banaswadi and want to undertake a pleasure trip to Kannur & Bekal for a couple of days.

My preference is for better road condition and not the distance.
Should I be taking the Hasan / Shiradi route to stick to the Mandya/ Hunsur route ?
Old 28th September 2015, 10:41   #1608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
I stay in Banaswadi and want to undertake a pleasure trip to Kannur & Bekal for a couple of days.

My preference is for better road condition and not the distance.
Should I be taking the Hasan / Shiradi route to stick to the Mandya/ Hunsur route ?
If you are driving to Kannur first, then Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Makutta-Iritty-Mattannur-Kannur. Very good roads upto Iritty, and road is with few potholes beyond that.

You can drive via Taliparamba-Payyannur-Kanhjangad for Kannur to Bekal. Good roads, but expect lot of traffic. I suppose there is another thread running for Bangalore-Bekal route queries, so do refer that for your return journey from Bekal.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 28th September 2015 at 10:43. Reason: typo
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 18:28   #1609

Hi All - I am travelling from Bangalore to Kannur this weekend with parents (with my mom having a bit of motion sickness problem) and a jumpy 5 year old in a Duster. Based on reading above, I am thinking this would be the best route - any further inputs / alternative routes would be appreciated. Bangalore (east) - Mysore road - ORR - Hunsur - Gonikoppa - Mudathil - Irikkur - Mayyil - Kambil - Puthiyatheru - Kanaka Beach House.
One specific question - After Gonikoppa, do we go upto Virajpet before taking a left on SH 91, or can we leave the road near Bittangala and join SH91, thus saving around 6 km, and any Virajpet traffic. Map of my proposed route given below.

Thanks everyone for your inputs.
[url="https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Akme+Ballet,+Akme+Ballet+Inner+Rd,+Chinappa+Layout ,+Bengaluru,+Karnataka+560037/Kanaka+Beach+House,+Kannur,+Kerala/@11.9087843,75.345236,10.79z/am=t/data=!4m19!4m18!1m10!1m1!1s0x3bae117bb68e7e31:0x78 2b413a1254ddea!2m2!1d77.6920846!2d12.9794595!3m4!1 m2!1d75.4584984!2d11.9933582!3s0x3ba43917d17f11f3: 0x2b86025e99ec03c7!1m5!1m1!1s0x3ba43d58b6931c7b:0x 7ceb8ddddba432c5!2m2!1d75.342435!2d11.883687!3e0?h l=en"]
Old 29th September 2015, 18:48   #1610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surajitatha View Post
Hi All - I am travelling from Bangalore to Kannur this weekend with parents (with my mom having a bit of motion sickness problem) and a jumpy 5 year old in a Duster. Based on reading above, I am thinking this would be the best route - any further inputs / alternative routes would be appreciated. Bangalore (east) - Mysore road - ORR - Hunsur - Gonikoppa - Mudathil - Irikkur - Mayyil - Kambil - Puthiyatheru - Kanaka Beach House.
One specific question - After Gonikoppa, do we go upto Virajpet before taking a left on SH 91, or can we leave the road near Bittangala and join SH91, thus saving around 6 km, and any Virajpet traffic. Map of my proposed route given below.
1) If your destination is Kanaka beach house - better to take
Bangalore (east) - Mysore road - ORR - Hunsur - Gonikoppa - Bittingala - Permbadi Check post - Iritty - Mattanur - Kannur

2) No need to go to Viraj pet - can leave the road near Bittingala and join SH91 @ Perumbadi check post
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 19:03   #1611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
1) If your destination is Kanaka beach house - better to take
Bangalore (east) - Mysore road - ORR - Hunsur - Gonikoppa - Bittingala - Permbadi Check post - Iritty - Mattanur - Kannur

2) No need to go to Viraj pet - can leave the road near Bittingala and join SH91 @ Perumbadi check post
Hi Latheesh. How is the Iritty - Mattanur - Kannur road currently? I thought I ready some posts on reasonably large potholes, thus was trying to avoid this by going via Irikkur? Thanks for the note on the detour from Bittingala.
Old 29th September 2015, 20:07   #1612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Latheesh. How is the Iritty - Mattanur - Kannur road currently? I thought I ready some posts on reasonably large potholes, thus was trying to avoid this by going via Irikkur? Thanks for the note on the detour from Bittingala.
For Destinations inside Kannur town, better to opt the Iritty-Mattannur- Kannur road. The mayyil route would be better for people going towards Puthiyatheru-pappinisseri. Moreover, there are some turns which you are likely to miss if you are not familiar with that route.

When my friend last did this route a few days ago, there were many potholes on the stretch between Koodali and chovva (near Kannur town), but nothing that a duster cannot manage.

As latheesh said, absolutely no need to go towards Virajpet town. Just drive straight on from Bittangala. The main road curves slightly towards right going to Virajpet town.
Old 4th October 2015, 08:00   #1613

Reached kannur via above route. Potholes in the last stretch were manageable. I am trying to avoid the terrible Mysore Road traffic while going back to Bangalore today - does anyone know the condition of roads if I go from gonikoppa - ramanathapura (SH 21) - arakalagud - channarayapattana - nelamangala? Google map shows only 12 minutes slower - this maybe actually faster considering Sunday evening traffic on mysore Road. Yet, noone in the forum have talked about this. Wonder why? I am starting from kannur in 2 hours, any quick pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 4th October 2015, 09:24   #1614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Reached kannur via above route. Potholes in the last stretch were manageable. I am trying to avoid the terrible Mysore Road traffic while going back to Bangalore today - does anyone know the condition of roads if I go from gonikoppa - ramanathapura (SH 21) - arakalagud - channarayapattana - nelamangala? Google map shows only 12 minutes slower - this maybe actually faster considering Sunday evening traffic on mysore Road. Yet, noone in the forum have talked about this. Wonder why? I am starting from kannur in 2 hours, any quick pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.
No idea about the condition of NH21 . Not many in the forum seem to have done that route in recent times. Anechowkoor to Periyapatna stretch has always been bad.

Instead, why don't you come to Mysore city and take the Bannur-Malavalli-Kanakapura route? I feel this would be a safer bet if you want to avoid SH17. Roads between Bannur and Bangalore via Malavalli Kanakapura is excellent. Mysore-Bannur stretch is not as good.

See this post from Rajeev :http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3813241

Last edited by sandsun7 : 4th October 2015 at 09:24. Reason: added link
Old 4th October 2015, 17:41   #1615
BHPian

Quote:
gonikoppa - ramanathapura (SH 21) - arakalagud - channarayapattana - nelamangala?
I heard from some one that, Hunsur - KrishnarajaNagara - Holenarasipur - Chennarayapattana - Nelamangala route is in good condition. But no first hand info on this.
For gonikoppa - ramanathapura, if you are taking the Anechowkur - Periyapatna route, then please be aware that this is fully patchy (~12KM) and difficult to drive. Beyond Periyapatna, I hv not idea..sorry.
Old 13th October 2015, 11:00   #1616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
If your final destination is somewhere in the northern part of Kannur, eg Puthiyatheru/Azhikode/ Pappinisheri/ Payangadi, there is a nice alternative now, bypassing the towns of Iritty, Mattannur and Kannur.

Kootupuzha- Iritty bridge (no need to cross the bridge)- Irikkur- Pavannurkadavu- Pavannurmotta - Ettayar- Mayyil - Kambil - Puthiyatheru/chungam.

Gmaps link: https://goo.gl/Ro7VQk

Distance is almost the same, and you get very good roads til Irikkur and excellent roads again from Ettayar to Puthiyatheru. The Etteyar-Mayyil-Puthiyatheru road was recently widened and resurfaced and is a pleasure to drive on. Traffic is also on the lighter side compared to Iritty-Mattanur- Kannur road. You get to avoid Kannur town traffic completely.

I have not tried this route end to end yet, but have done Pavannurmotta-Puthiyatheru many times and can vouch for that section.

I am staying here Asokam Beach Resort, Payyambalam, Beach Road.
Do you recommend that I take this road instead of entering the Kannur town ?
Old 13th October 2015, 11:06   #1617
Senior - BHPian

@LonelyPlanet - Payyambalam beach is couple of Kilometers from Kannur town, so it is better to go via Kannur town.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 09:32   #1618
BHPian

I need some additional help with my trip

1) COCO pumps on the way - need diesel options
2) Clean Eating locations enroute
3) Places to see in Kannur
4) Must try food joints / dishes in Kannur
Old 14th October 2015, 11:37   #1619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
I need some additional help with my trip

1) COCO pumps on the way - need diesel options
2) Clean Eating locations enroute
3) Places to see in Kannur
4) Must try food joints / dishes in Kannur
1) Generally Petrol pumps in Kerala are trust worthy
2) There are many till you reach Mysore. Beyond Mysore not much option. Still ok-ok places are Cafe County @ Hunsur, Mayuri @ Hunsur (before gonikkoppal turn off), Coorg Cafe @ Gonikkoppal (after the town), Cousine Pappera @ Gonikkoppal (before entering the town area, on top of the MORE super market)
3) St. Angelo Fort, Beaches (Payyambalam, Muzhuppilangadu (drive in beach), Chaal etc), Chirakkal Museum. If you have time, plan to visit Madayippara(~30km), also Bekal Fort (~60-70KM)
4) Seafoods and Biriyani are specialities.
RajeshK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 11:48   #1620
BHPian

Friends, do any one know the latest update about the Srirangapatna - Yelivala route condition? Last time, I took this route in early Sep'15 and work was going on till you reach the place the where the road from Mysore to KRS meets. Any quick updates will be helpful, I am planning to leave to Payyanur tomorrow.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks