Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2014, 19:39   #1486
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyaskr View Post
Hi all,

I'm travelling to Kelakam, Kannur from Bangalore, this Saturday. I googled and found 2 routes but not sure of the road conditions. Please suggest a good route of the two or any other.
Either way, you will have to deal with a few may be less than 10 kms of bad roads. Rest of the stretch is good. I still suggest the second route, i.e via Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Iritty. Except a stretch of 10 km between Anechowkoor and Hunsur, roads in this route are in superb condition now.

The ghat section via Boys town-palchuram in the first route is very steep and last heard, roads are not in good condition. And google map does not show the right route from Handpost to Bavali. There is a 14km long deviation through villages due to permanent closure of a short stretch of forest road. But the diverted route is well marked and was recently relaid. Also there is nighttime traffic restriction on this stretch, from 6pM to 6AM.

Choice is yours.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 22:37   #1487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyaskr View Post
Hi all,

I'm travelling to Kelakam, Kannur from Bangalore, this Saturday. I googled and found 2 routes but not sure of the road conditions. Please suggest a good route of the two or any other.
I agree with sandsun and would suggest the second route. The direct road bypassing Periyapatna is the only wild card with the rains proving spoilsport for about 12-14kms. However we can take comfort that the work is progressing and we could be gifted with fantastic roads the entire stretch.

Leaving Bangalore early would be a good idea. I personally preferred the Mysore ring road while passing Mysore, while many here advise to take the KRS road.
Old 13th September 2014, 08:59   #1488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Either way, you will have to deal with a few may be less than 10 kms of bad roads. Rest of the stretch is good. I still suggest the second route, i.e via Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Iritty. Except a stretch of 10 km between Anechowkoor and Hunsur, roads in this route are in superb condition now.
Agree. Just did this stretch today and as sandsun7 said roads are excellent all the way through except that 10 KMs of bad stretch, but nothing unmanageable. I was in a city and in front was a vento. We sailed through without issues with full load. The roads are being constructed, and its mostly gravel.
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 14:47   #1489
DRC
BHPian

Planning to drive to Kannur on the Oct2-6 long weekend. Ideally, Bangalore-Mysore-Gonikoppa-Iritty-kannur route could have been chosen.
But, knowing Oct 2nd is also dasara and traffic on weekend on Mysore road, I am contemplating to take channaray patna, Holenarasipura, Somwarpet, Kushalnagara, Gonikoppal road.
Though it is a roundabout, I am hoping not to fall into a trafficjam. Can the experts of the area throw some light on the road conditions ofthis route?
Old 19th September 2014, 11:10   #1490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
Planning to drive to Kannur on the Oct2-6 long weekend. Ideally, Bangalore-Mysore-Gonikoppa-Iritty-kannur route could have been chosen.
But, knowing Oct 2nd is also dasara and traffic on weekend on Mysore road, I am contemplating to take channaray patna, Holenarasipura, Somwarpet, Kushalnagara, Gonikoppal road.
Though it is a roundabout, I am hoping not to fall into a trafficjam. Can the experts of the area throw some light on the road conditions ofthis route?
Since its the Bangalore-Mangalore highway you're opting for most of the roads till you Holenarasipura at least should be very good.

But this is a very round about way of doing it. If there is an option of leaving early (at least by 5AM) I would suggest the Bangalore-Mysore road.

On a side note - A few relatives drove down to Bangalore day before. From what it seems they said work is progressing on the stretch that reaches Anechowkur check post. Matter of time now I hope.
shefiu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 19:05   #1491
BHPian

Good news!! The bad stretch near Anechowkur check post is completely leveled it seems!!! Should get tarred as well soon..
sivadas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 07:54   #1492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
Good news!! The bad stretch near Anechowkur check post is completely leveled it seems!!! Should get tarred as well soon..
Yes Sivadas, it was like moon surface last time. Now after the rain subsided, the road became in proper shape. Only one or two place you need to be carefull if there is any rain (can be slippery). Road work is going on, but on snail speed. Also the Srirangaptna byepass is also manageable now.
RajeshK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 13:09   #1493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
Its a breeze till Holenarasipur. Then 25+ kms of sporadic bad stretches (craters are not as bad as the ones in Coorg ) via Konanur upto Hebbaale from where butter smooth Makkutta highway begins but this again is practically upto Kushalnagar. However, if you proceed to Somwarpet (Somwarpet does not come on the way between H narasipur and Kushalnagar), better take Madikeri - Virajpet route which is much better. But, as all of us feel, this is very roundabout.
Old 29th September 2014, 10:49   #1494
Senior - BHPian

Planning to drive to Kannur on Wednesday from Electronic city. How is traffic going to be on Mysore road if we start by 2.30 PM?
Old 29th September 2014, 11:17   #1495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Planning to drive to Kannur on Wednesday from Electronic city. How is traffic going to be on Mysore road if we start by 2.30 PM?
Wednesday being a holiday due to festivals,this route may be crowded .This happens mainly in the mornings and evenings. You can try your luck in the afternoon.To tell the truth this road had become immensely crowded for the last couple of months,especially till Harohalli.
commonman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 11:23   #1496
BHPian

Hey if you are driving via Mysore-Hunsur-Irrity-Kannur please share the general road condition once you return from your trip.
I might have a drive getting planned on that route and would love some latest updates.
Old 29th September 2014, 11:32   #1497
BHPian

Quote:
Latheesh,
Expect good amount of traffic till Mysore, but should be manageable. You will have to be extra patient around each of those towns (Ramanagara, Channapatana, Maddur and Mandya).
By the way, I am starting on Thursday (morning).
sivadas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 12:24   #1498
Distinguished - BHPian

Can anyone provide info on road connecting Periyapatna to Siddapura? have driven this route in Feb and it was in bad shape
Old 29th September 2014, 14:19   #1499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Hey if you are driving via Mysore-Hunsur-Irrity-Kannur please share the general road condition once you return from your trip.
I might have a drive getting planned on that route and would love some latest updates.
I drove to Payyanur on Friday and came back yesterday night. Overall roads are in good shape. The 7kms between panchavali and Anachowkur is mud road but quite drivable. Be care if there is raining, road may be slippery then.

Srirangapatna - Eliwala byepass also decent now. Need to worry for only few 'meters' after the KRS turn. The Hunsur road is patched and there is no potholes now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Can anyone provide info on road connecting Periyapatna to Siddapura? have driven this route in Feb and it was in bad shape
I heard the the first 12km after Periyapatna is in very bad condition. If you destination is Siddapura and beyod, better to take alternate routes.

Quote:
More than traffic you need to worry about the torrential rain. Yesterday it was raining so heavy that I had to slow down below 40 on highways.

Last edited by RajeshK : 29th September 2014 at 14:23.
Old 1st October 2014, 23:09   #1500
BHPian

Hi, I plan to drive the Bangalore-Hunsur-Gonikoppa-Iritty-Irikkur route on 4th Oct morning. But enroute I want to visit Melukote. I will start from Bangalore at 6:30 am & hope to reach Irikkur by 6:30 Pm. Want to be doubly sure that there are no time restrictions on driving btw Gonikoppa-Iritty (say after 7 pm).

O.T. This is my first visit to Irikkur, I just couldn't find any information on an accomodation for the night. I have planned very late, so I dont think I will get any accomodation in Gonikoppa or even Virajpet. Request for any possible info, am planning to stay two nights - 4th & 5th.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks