Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2014, 17:57   #1411
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Alternately, would this be any better ?

Bangalore > Kanakapura Road > Mandur > Srirangapatna > Elivala > Hunsur > Periyapatna > Anechowkur > Gonikoppal > Virajpet/Vijrapet > Iritty > Kannur

The differences being:
1. Use of Kanakapura Road, instead of Mysore Road. I think the traffic would be much less, though the Kanakapura Road doesn't have any pit-stops. Last time I used it, was pretty boring and didn't save much time though.

2. Bye-pass Mysore city completely, by taking the Srirangapatna > Ranganathittu > Elivala > Hunsur route. It is a narrow road, and last time I took this road, it wasn't in great condition, with several bad patches and small potholes. Just that it helps avoid Mysore, but not sure if it's worth it.
Old 12th June 2014, 19:15   #1412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post

Bangalore > Kanakapura Road > Mandur > Srirangapatna > Elivala > Hunsur > Periyapatna > Anechowkur > Gonikoppal > Virajpet/Vijrapet > Iritty > Kannur

The differences being:
1. Use of Kanakapura Road, instead of Mysore Road. I think the traffic would be much less, though the Kanakapura Road doesn't have any pit-stops. Last time I used it, was pretty boring and didn't save much time though.

2. Bye-pass Mysore city completely, by taking the Srirangapatna > Ranganathittu > Elivala > Hunsur route. It is a narrow road, and last time I took this road, it wasn't in great condition, with several bad patches and small potholes. Just that it helps avoid Mysore, but not sure if it's worth it.
Given that you will start at 4.30 am, you can safely take Mysore road. At this time, there will be very little traffic and the towns en route would still be waking up.

Coming to bypassing Mysore, someone had posted that the Srirangapatna-Ilavala road was blocked at one place. Even otherwise, the road is not in good condition and it would be better if you take the Mysore ring road. The ring road is half constructed, so you will find diversions and unpaved sections, but it is still a better option.

I have no idea on conditions after Hunsur.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 21:08   #1413
BHPian

As per the earlier posts, the best route to Kannur as of now is Hunsur > Periyapatna > Anechowkur > Gonikoppal > Vijrapet > Iritty > Kannur.
Anoopscv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 13:19   #1414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Planning to visit Kannur this (or the next) weekend (starting from Bangalore). Plan to start early - around 4:30AM.

Will be driving a rather heavily loaded Logan (belly-scratcher heavy), and need to avoid roads that are only SUV/MUV worthy ! Would be traveling with small kids and aged parents.

Is the following indeed the ideal road presently ?

Bangalore > NICE Road > Mysore Road > Mysore > Hunsur > Gonikoppal > Virajpet/Vijrapet > Iritty > Kannur (roughly 7 hours?)

Kindly suggest decent pit-stops (clean food + clean rest-rooms) between Hunsur and Iritty ?
1) Route: Take Bangalore > NICE Road > Mysore Road > Mysore Ring Road (Take right turn at Columbia Asia Hospital) > Hunsur > Periyapatna (Take left turn towards)> Anechowkur > Gonikoppal > Bittingala-Perumbadi > Iritty > Kannur

You can do it in 7 hours (without break)
You do not need to go to Virajpet town

2) Pit-Stops
a) Cafe County - Near Hunsur town turn on - Pretty decent - But you may reach there by 7 - 7.30 AM

b) Cafe Coorg - After Gonikoppal town - you may reach there 8.30-9 AM

Even I am looking for other pit stop options between Hunsur-Virajpet

Last edited by Latheesh : 13th June 2014 at 13:22.
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 14:11   #1415
BHPian

Quote:

The differences being:

If you are really starting at 4.30am , stick to Mysore road (as mentioned by addyhemmige). I would say you don't need to take even the outer ring road, can cut through the city and join Hunsur road. Mysore city will be just waking up at 6.30-7.00 am. I normally go to the city, have an early breakfast at Hotel Sidhartha (very decent place) and then continue towards Hunsur Road. As mentioned by others follow Periyapatna-AneChowkur route. Turn from Periyapatna (which comes in the middle of the town) can be confusing if you have not taken it before. Dont take the Ammatti-Virajpet turn which comes 100-200 mts away from the main town area. Better have the maps handy and use GPS in the phone(for Mysore City also). Ideal option for a second break will be Cafe Coorg at Gonikoppal (comes on the right side at the end of Gonikoppal town).
sivadas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 15:14   #1416
BHPian

Thanks Latheesh and Sivadas. Excellent advice - noted.

BTW, for people who are familiar with "western coast + monsoon", please share some feedback on what to expect. I've done Coorg in monsoons and it was extremely beautiful, secluded (and thus peaceful), terrible roads and after 2 days -- boring (my kid was small then, so it wasn't too much of a problem). However, my perception of coastal resorts in monsoons is that sea will probably look menacingly beautiful (magestic + scary), but you'd have to stay put in the resort hotel... saying away from the water. Is that right ? Saw pictures of the extensive soil/land erosion in Ullal and other parts of west coast -- not a pretty sight.
Old 13th June 2014, 17:12   #1417
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Latheesh and Sivadas. Excellent advice - noted.

BTW, for people who are familiar with "western coast + monsoon", please share some feedback on what to expect. I've done Coorg in monsoons and it was extremely beautiful, secluded (and thus peaceful), terrible roads and after 2 days -- boring (my kid was small then, so it wasn't too much of a problem). However, my perception of coastal resorts in monsoons is that sea will probably look menacingly beautiful (magestic + scary), but you'd have to stay put in the resort hotel... saying away from the water. Is that right ? Saw pictures of the extensive soil/land erosion in Ullal and other parts of west coast -- not a pretty sight.
Your assumptions are mostly right. Roads become quite messy during Monsoon. If you have plans to go around/sight seeing, bit tough to travel in the heavy rain (unless you are prepared to enjoy the adventure ). Sea also looses its calm and becomes very rough.
sivadas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2014, 13:10   #1418
BHPian

Finished a round trip last Weekend .

To Kannur through Mysore road-outer ring road (deviate at Columbia Asia Mysore)-Hunsur- Anechowkur post-Gonikkoppal-Iritty-Kannur

Found 10 kilometers of road being laid before the Anechowkur checkpost.

From Kannur Iritty Gonikkoppal Anechowkur post-Periyapattana-Hunsur -Mysore -Bangalore

From the check post took a left and to my surprise this road is not better.This road takes much more time.

In my opinion straight Hunsur to Anechowkur check post is much better road and time saving .
@anoop after Gonikkoppal you need not go to Virajpet .There is a bypass to Perumbadi.

For travelers ,be aware of the mist in the ghat section during monsoon. Visibility was 15 feet for me when traveling at night.
commonman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2014, 14:11   #1419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman View Post

To Kannur through Mysore road-outer ring road (deviate at Columbia Asia Mysore)-Hunsur- Anechowkur post-Gonikkoppal-Iritty-Kannur

From Kannur Iritty Gonikkoppal Anechowkur post-Periyapattana-Hunsur -Mysore -Bangalore

From the check post took a left and to my surprise this road is not better.This road takes much more time.

In my opinion straight Hunsur to Anechowkur check post is much better road and time saving .
@anoop after Gonikkoppal you need not go to Virajpet .There is a bypass to Perumbadi.

For travelers ,be aware of the mist in the ghat section during monsoon. Visibility was 15 feet for me when traveling at night.
This is the reason I always try to take the direct route even though it is not better than any of the alternate. At this moment, I feel that this direct road is better and faster than any alternate route. The 10km bad roads are easy to cover in any car but better to be in day time.

Yes, there used to be thick fog and rain in the initial 3-4km down the hill. If you cannot drive properly, wait for a big vehicle and trail it with a safe distance.
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2014, 20:12   #1420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman View Post

Yes, am sorry that was a copy paste mistake I did.

So now am confused between the direct road and Anechowkur-Periyapattana. Few peoples reported the later one is better
Old 15th June 2014, 09:15   #1421
BHPian

Hi Anoop,

Rains are making the direct "Hunsur to Anechowkur check post" road un-drivable.If in the day and in an SUV you can crawl through this stretch.In a car you will have a very tough time.

The " Periyapatna to Anechowkur check post" road is for the want of a better description a "Path" where you can drive in the second/occasionally third gear in a sedan,instead of struggling to find a path to drive as is the case with the direct road.It is the better of two "Paths" to cover that distance.You cannot define them as "Roads" by any standards.As mentioned if you are on this route you can bypass Virajpet

Last edited by masin4 : 15th June 2014 at 09:17. Reason: change of locations
masin4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 00:20   #1422
BHPian

Still in Kannur, returning tomorrow morning, but my drive from Bangalore to Kannur was a nearly horrendous 9 hour drive, (actually 11 hours time, with 1 hour or so for pit-stops, and 1 hour of so due to multiple missed-turns and google-map goofups). Anyhow that 15km stretch is plain terrible (i.e. once I found it, although google-maps put me on an even more horrible alternative internal road... where, clearly there are only craters, no road). However, the biggest surprise was the extremely long ghat section. Had not anticipated it.

Returning tomorrow morning, and still undecided on which route to take, but probably with stick to gmaps most direct route. All routes seem to have the nearly equally bad section.

Oh and BTW, I think that 'Cafe Coorg' and 'Cafe County' are the same, or atleast one of the 'Cafe Coorg' outlets has changed name to 'Cafe County' and we might have 2 of those.

Hopefully, will have a better trip report to share once I get back.
Old 23rd June 2014, 07:14   #1423
BHPian

Just back from a trip to Kannur and this I took the hunsur-gonikoppal route. Except for the 10 kms near the anechowkur check post, the whole route is a breeze to do drive until iritty.
Even that 10 kms is levelled and motorable. I took about 20-30 minutes to navigate that. Even smaller cars like santro or sedans like verito was doing that section without any pain. I used Mysore ring road because I wasn't sure if the other one was open yet
bijayks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 17:48   #1424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijayks View Post
Just back from a trip to Kannur and this I took the hunsur-gonikoppal route. Except for the 10 kms near the anechowkur check post, the whole route is a breeze to do drive until iritty.
Even that 10 kms is levelled and motorable. I took about 20-30 minutes to navigate that. Even smaller cars like santro or sedans like verito was doing that section without any pain. I used Mysore ring road because I wasn't sure if the other one was open yet
How long did this journey take ? drive time alone?
Old 23rd June 2014, 18:10   #1425
BHPian

I drove from bannerghatta to a place near irrukkur. Took about 7 hrs including 2 breaks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks