Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2014, 19:06   #1321
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Why would one need to go via Sulia to Kasargod (honest question)?. If one is going via Madikeri, it would be Madikeri - Bhagamandala - Panathur - Kasargod/Kanhangad.
Roads around Panathur (to Sulia as well as Madikeri) are pretty bad.
Shiradi is currently in excellent condition. Also I think roads around Shiradi would be better any time of the year than the ones around Panathur.
Old 7th April 2014, 20:05   #1322
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
Why would one need to go via Sulia to Kasargod (honest question)?. If one is going via Madikeri, it would be Madikeri - Bhagamandala - Panathur - Kasargod/Kanhangad.
For Kanhagad, Bhagamanda option makes sense. But for Kasargod, I thought Sullia/Jalasoor is the shortest option.
Old 8th April 2014, 08:53   #1323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancho View Post
I really do not think this route is worth the risk. Madikeri - Bhagamandala stretch is managable.But Baghamandala - Panathur stretch is terrible. I had taken this route sometime in December.
Thanks Vancho. I agree with you. My experience in December was also horrible.

However the latest info I have is as of Saturday, specifically for the reserve forest road (Baghamandala - Panathur). This route would make my journey shorter, hence keen on this road. Not to mention the sparse traffic.
Old 8th April 2014, 14:29   #1324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefuturist View Post
Good to know that the route info was of help. What were the driving times for your journey either way? Bangalore to Nileshwar and back would be around 800 km (depending on where you live in Bangalore) via the Channarayapatna (NH48) - Madikeri - Bhagamandala - Kanhangad route. Was the driving time or the fuel economy good enough to justify the extra kms?
Apologies for delayed response. I didn’t take the Madikeri route, instead took Hassan-Sakleshpur-Jalsur . You are right the entire route is just around 840 KM, I had some local drive between Nileshwar and Kasaragod, and while returning I took a bad decision to take NICE road towards Electronics City then Marathalli, instead I could have taken city route. This added few Km to the entire trip.

It took almost 10 H in each direction with multiple breaks in between, the drive time would be just above 8 hrs. For me driving time was not a concern, my main concern was on drivability and comfort of the journey, but then with multiple breaks comfort took a nose dive on the winding roads as my better half was not comfortable :P

Cheers !!!
Old 8th April 2014, 15:04   #1325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It is decent only if you have a vehicle that can glide over rough roads. Don't try it with a car with soft suspension.
My friend has a (new) Verna and he was OK with this road. My TSI (Laura) should fare better/similar I suppose. And I think potholes on a mud road is more manageable compared to the ones on a (supposed to be) tarred road.
Old 8th April 2014, 15:22   #1326
BHPian

Tomorrow I will be travelling to Kannur and planning to take the direct route via hunsur-gonikoppal- Perumbadi. Election on Thursday, so can vote this time . I will keep posted on the road condition.
Got a call from one of my friend in Kannur saying their party have arranged a bus tomorrow from B’lore to Kannur just for the the voters
Old 8th April 2014, 15:50   #1327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestone View Post
Apologies for delayed response. I didn’t take the Madikeri route, instead took Hassan-Sakleshpur-Jalsur . You are right the entire route is just around 840 KM, I had some local drive between Nileshwar and Kasaragod, and while returning I took a bad decision to take NICE road towards Electronics City then Marathalli, instead I could have taken city route. This added few Km to the entire trip.

It took almost 10 H in each direction with multiple breaks in between, the drive time would be just above 8 hrs. For me driving time was not a concern, my main concern was on drivability and comfort of the journey, but then with multiple breaks comfort took a nose dive on the winding roads as my better half was not comfortable :P

Cheers !!!
8 hrs of driving time is quite good I'd say for a 400+ km trip. You may try out the Bhagamandala stretch next time - our motion-sick maid did not have any problems on this route as the tarmac is good (broken portions have been relaid) and the twisties are quite manageable, the roads albeit being on the narrower side. We did the stretch in the evening - the fragrance of the shola forests coupled with the shrill chirping of the mountain crickets made for a mesmerizing drive.
thefuturist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 16:05   #1328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Thanks Vancho. I agree with you. My experience in December was also horrible.

However the latest info I have is as of Saturday, specifically for the reserve forest road (Baghamandala - Panathur). This route would make my journey shorter, hence keen on this road. Not to mention the sparse traffic.
I did this route as recently as last month. We were advised by an elderly gentleman in Madikeri against taking this route, but I spurred on and was glad to have done so. The tarmac was smooth and some sections seemed to have been recently relaid to take care of the broken patches. Traffic is sparse indeed, as we encountered fewer than 5 vehicles in the entire stretch during our drive late in the evening.
Old 8th April 2014, 17:37   #1329
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I did this route as recently as last month. We were advised by an elderly gentleman in Madikeri against taking this route, but I spurred on and was glad to have done so. The tarmac was smooth and some sections seemed to have been recently relaid to take care of the broken patches. Traffic is sparse indeed, as we encountered fewer than 5 vehicles in the entire stretch during our drive late in the evening.
Do you mean this stretch is now relaid and is quite good to do?

If so, then it is good news indeed! I had always heard and read that at least the stretch till Bhagamandala was quite bad and roads are very narrow.
Old 8th April 2014, 17:48   #1330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
For Kanhagad, Bhagamanda option makes sense. But for Kasargod, I thought Sullia/Jalasoor is the shortest option.
For Kasargod Kukke-Jalasoor-Cherkala-Kasargod is the route. No need to go through Sulia. If going via Sulia, there is a road to Panathur(pathetic) road which is actually the shorter. The journey would be longer by alteast 70-80 mins though.
Its better to stick to Jalasoor-Cherkala route for Kanhangad too. The roads from any direction in KA to Panathur are always a risk.
Old 8th April 2014, 18:28   #1331
BHPian

Quote:
Do you mean this stretch is now relaid and is quite good to do?

If so, then it is good news indeed! I had always heard and read that at least the stretch till Bhagamandala was quite bad and roads are very narrow.
Yes, it's the same Talcauvery route that I was talking about. I did this stretch last month in a fully loaded ANHC (5 adults and 2 kids plus a boot full of luggage) and quite comfortably at that, so any vehicle should be able to do this without issues . Yes, the roads are narrow but not that bad either - you can easily pass the oncoming traffic (not too many - just the occasional Mahindra pick-up) without stopping and looking around for a shoulder, and the surface was good throughout except for an occasional pothole here and there that you can easily dodge.
thefuturist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 19:11   #1332
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it's the same Talcauvery route that I was talking about. I did this stretch last month in a fully loaded ANHC (5 adults and 2 kids plus a boot full of luggage) and quite comfortably at that, so any vehicle should be able to do this without issues . Yes, the roads are narrow but not that bad either - you can easily pass the oncoming traffic (not too many - just the occasional Mahindra pick-up) without stopping and looking around for a shoulder, and the surface was good throughout except for an occasional pothole here and there that you can easily dodge.
On second thoughts, I might have taken this route as well. Unfortunately my phone got overheated and the GPS broke down just after Madikeri, so I had to keep following the road signs to Bhagamandala and then on to Panathur. There is no way I can verify now whether it was the Talcauvery Road or the Madikeri-Bhagamandala road (SH-27 and SH-90) that we took, but the roads were good throughout all the way to Kanhangad.
thefuturist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 19:16   #1333
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. That seals it! In my next trip 4 weeks from now, will be trying this route.

How was the stretch between Madikeri & Bhagamandala?
Old 8th April 2014, 19:18   #1334
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
ts better to stick to Jalasoor-Cherkala route for Kanhangad too. The roads from any direction in KA to Panathur are always a risk.
Even I agree. The only issue is that one can potentially get stuck at Shiradi thanks to an accident. And there is no alternate route at all. Hence was wondering if there are options.
Old 8th April 2014, 21:31   #1335
BHPian

Quote:
Even I agree. The only issue is that one can potentially get stuck at Shiradi thanks to an accident. And there is no alternate route at all. Hence was wondering if there are options.
What about Charmadi-Puttur-Kasargod?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks