Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2014, 20:28   #1396
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoopscv View Post
Hope you travelled via Hunsur-Periyapatna-Anechowkur, just waiting for the update on road condition.
I have tried both the routes..While going, took the Hunsur-Periyapatna-Anechowkur and return was by the direct route (as many of you had advised). First route is without a doubt better!! Though this one has multiple bad patches, none of them are as rough as the parts of the direct route. On my return, the stretch just after Anechowkur check-post (some 3-4 Kms) was not tolerable (even for SUVs). I feel the last night's rain might have spoiled it further as I could see many many sharp stones which were difficult to avoid.

While going to Kannur, post Anechowkur, roads are literally a dream. I am travelling between Bangalore and Kannur for more than 18 years now and this is the first time I could 'DRIVE' after Gonikoppal!! Hope soon the day will come when the entire Bangalore-Kannur stretch is without potholes!!
sivadas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2014, 21:52   #1397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
I have tried both the routes..While going, took the Hunsur-Periyapatna-Anechowkur and return was by the direct route (as many of you had advised). First route is without a doubt better!! Though this one has multiple bad patches, none of them are as rough as the parts of the direct route. On my return, the stretch just after Anechowkur check-post (some 3-4 Kms) was not tolerable (even for SUVs). I feel the last night's rain might have spoiled it further as I could see many many sharp stones which were difficult to avoid.

While going to Kannur, post Anechowkur, roads are literally a dream. I am travelling between Bangalore and Kannur for more than 18 years now and this is the first time I could 'DRIVE' after Gonikoppal!! Hope soon the day will come when the entire Bangalore-Kannur stretch is without potholes!!
Thanks for the update and letting us know Hunsur-Periyapatna-Anechowkur is the better-quality road at present. Definitely will try this track in my next trip to Kannur.
Hope they can complete the work on the rest of the bad stretch before it rains heavily.
Old 5th June 2014, 13:51   #1398
BHPian

I was thinking of taking a new route this weekend.Image attached.
Through kanakpura Bannur ,Nagarhole to Mananthavady and to Kannur.Any advice? Any night restrictions through this route?
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-bangalore-kannur.jpg  

Old 5th June 2014, 15:05   #1399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman View Post
Through kanakpura Bannur ,Nagarhole to Mananthavady and to Kannur.Any advice? Any night restrictions through this route?
Vehicle entry to the Nagarhole forest is not permitted after 6pm and before 6am.
Old 5th June 2014, 23:15   #1400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman View Post
So that will be Kanakapura-Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore-HD Kote-Mananthavady and Kannur. I had traveled this route(not entirely but the Mysore-HD kote-Mananthavady part) almost a month back. As we are not travelling fully through the Nagarhole forest (part of the road is diverted through Villages in the outskirts of forest), I doubt if there is any night travel restriction. Sorry, not totally sure about this.
As I mentioned in the earlier post, part of the village road (some 7 Kms) is yet to be tarred-it is just leveled mud road, but decent. According to me, there is no real advantage with this route compared to Mysore-Periyapatna-Anechowkur-Gonikoppal route except for the fact that you can avoid the Mysore road madness during peak hours.
Old 6th June 2014, 08:35   #1401
BHPian

Quote:
So that will be Kanakapura-Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore-HD Kote-Mananthavady and Kannur. I had traveled this route(not entirely but the Mysore-HD kote-Mananthavady part) almost a month back. As we are not travelling fully through the Nagarhole forest (part of the road is diverted through Villages in the outskirts of forest), I doubt if there is any night travel restriction. Sorry, not totally sure about this.
As I mentioned in the earlier post, part of the village road (some 7 Kms) is yet to be tarred-it is just leveled mud road, but decent. According to me, there is no real advantage with this route compared to Mysore-Periyapatna-Anechowkur-Gonikoppal route except for the fact that you can avoid the Mysore road madness during peak hours.
There is night travel restriction from 6pm to 6am as Anoop mentioned. As per one of my friend who is a regular in this route, the roads are better now compared to what was 3-6months back.
Old 6th June 2014, 09:33   #1402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
There is night travel restriction from 6pm to 6am as Anoop mentioned. As per one of my friend who is a regular in this route, the roads are better now compared to what was 3-6months back.
I am sure about the other route which cuts across Nagarhole (Hunsur-Naarhole-Kutta)has night restrictions (6pm-6am). I had gone that way many times. If you see the map, this route actually circumvents the main forest area. Hence I am not sure about the restrictions.
Old 6th June 2014, 13:38   #1403
BHPian

Quote:
I am sure about the other route which cuts across Nagarhole (Hunsur-Naarhole-Kutta)has night restrictions (6pm-6am). I had gone that way many times. If you see the map, this route actually circumvents the main forest area. Hence I am not sure about the restrictions.
Its the HD Cote-Bavali-Kattikulam road and forest entry gate is at Udbur, exit at Bavali. Night time travel restriction applies to this road too. Sometime back I had visited Orange county in Kabini and they asked me to cross Bavali(Entrance from kerala) before 6PM.
Anoopscv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 11:51   #1404
Senior - BHPian

Took Gonikoppal-Anechowkur-Periyapatna route couple of days back and it is better option comparing to direct route. Started from Kannur @6.45 AM and reached Bangalore Ecity @4.45 PM (with 2.25 hour break).
Old 10th June 2014, 17:02   #1405
Senior - BHPian

HUNSUR-ANECHOWKUR (KODAGU) ROAD WORK PROGRESSING AT SNAIL’S PACE

The assurance given by peoples representatives on completing works on Hunsur-Talacauvery State Highway road that connects Mysore and South Kodagu with Kerala State, before the start of the rainy season, has remained a dream with the works going on at snail’s pace.

The Hunsur-Anechowkur stretch of the road which is considered as the most important road link of South Kodagu, comes under the joint jurisdiction of Hunsur and Periyapatna Sub-Divisions of the Public Works Department (PWD).

The works on the 9.08 km stretch of the road coming under Hunsur PWD Sub-Division is complete and what remains is the asphalting of 11 km stretch of the road coming under Periyapatna PWD Sub-division. Although the asphalting on this stretch of the road commenced from Karnakuppe on May 30, one wonders whether the work will go on with the onset of Monsoon imminent.

This stretch of the road leading to Anechowkur was leveled for asphalting. But the slow pace of works has converted the stretch into a kacchha road dotted with a lot of potholes, which tests the skills of vehicle drivers.

Although the works on Periyapatna taluk stretch of Hunsur-Anechowkur road remains incomplete, the completion of Anechowkur-Gonikoppa and Gonikoppa-Virajpet stretch of the Highway road has brought some relief to motorists.

Andhra Pradesh based Mookambika Construction Company was awarded the Rs. 31 crore contract for works on Hunsur-Anechowkur stretch. The apathetic attitude and negligence on the part of the officials has led to the slow pace of the works, it is said.

When the previous BJP Government was in power, Virajpet MLA K.G. Bopaiah had reportedly used his authority to get a stone quarry allotted to a Mysroe based person who was in charge of this raod. But during the last Assembly elections, about 3,000 lorry loads of stone jelly meant for Kodagu road works was diverted to K.R. Nagar on account of political intervention and this is said to be the prime reason for the delay in asphalting.

Now with the commencement of asphalting on May 30 at Karanakuppe, the shortage of jelly has become a major hurdle in the expedition of works.

Meanwhile, MLA Bopaiah has alleged that former MP H. Vishwanath and K.R. Nagar MLA played a key role in the diversion of hundreds of loads of jelly to K.R. Nagar.

Bopaiah is also said to have called up Mysore based Govardhan, who was in-charge of the road and took him to task for diverting stone jelly to K.R. Nagar and cheating the people of Kodagu.

With the shortage of stone jelly troubling the contractor, arrangements have been made to supply appropriate quantity of jelly from Kushalnagar, Kanagalu, Hunsur, Panchavalli and Jentakal, in order to facilitate expedition of works.

The apathetic attitude of the then PWD AEE M.R. Manjunath, who served in Periyapatna from June 3, 2011 to Mar. 10, 2014, is the main reason for the slow progress of Hunsur-Anechowkur and Periyapatna-Anechowkur stretches of the road, with Periyapatna MLA only adding to the woes by his sheer negligence, according to the public.

With S. Prakash taking charge as new AEE, the public are hoping that the works will be expedited.

Prakash said that asphalting on 2 km stretch of Hunsur-Anechowkur road in Periyapatna taluk is underway and a proposal has been sent to the State Government for release of grant under K-SH1P for works on the remaining 9 km stretch of the road.

The non-payment of Rs. 31 crore bill for works on Hunsur-Anechowkur road too has added to the delay in the completion of the project, he added.

With the onset of monsoon looming large, the motorists fear that the works may be stopped until October, for the monsoon to end.

Meanwhile, the BJP Virajpet unit has presented a memorandum to newly elected MP Pratap Simha seeking to exert pressure on the State Government for the completion of work on the State Highway that links South Kodagu with Kerala. In the meanwhile, the people of the region are eagerly looking at Pratap Simha for a permanent solution to the problem, which has been haunting them for decades.

source: StarofMysore.com

Last edited by Latheesh : 10th June 2014 at 17:03.
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 19:02   #1406
BHPian

Hello There -

Has anyone recently tried Coimbatore - Kannur route? Can you please advice on the Road conditions and best time to drive through by avoiding traffic?

I tried Chennai - Kannur Via Bangalore in 2010 with the help of a fellow BHpian, I just followed him from Bangalore . So the challenge is I am not very familiar with the roads after Mysore. It would be great if any of you could suggest the best route as it would help me to decide and plan the travel.
Old 10th June 2014, 19:25   #1407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanoop.Patteri View Post
Hello There -

Has anyone recently tried Coimbatore - Kannur route? Can you please advice on the Road conditions and best time to drive through by avoiding traffic?

I tried Chennai - Kannur Via Bangalore in 2010 with the help of a fellow BHpian, I just followed him from Bangalore . So the challenge is I am not very familiar with the roads after Mysore. It would be great if any of you could suggest the best route as it would help me to decide and plan the travel.
Why touch Mysore if your origin is Coimbatore? It is a straightforward route through NH 47 + NH 213 + NH 17.
Coimbatore- Palakkad - Malappuram- Ramanattukara-Kozhikode Bypass-Vadakara- Tellicherry - Kannur.
Roads are good, but traffic would be heavy throughout as is the case with any Kerala highway.
Old 10th June 2014, 20:03   #1408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Why touch Mysore if your origin is Coimbatore? It is a straightforward route through NH 47 + NH 213 + NH 17.
Coimbatore- Palakkad - Malappuram- Ramanattukara-Kozhikode Bypass-Vadakara- Tellicherry - Kannur.
Roads are good, but traffic would be heavy throughout as is the case with any Kerala highway.
Thanks, I will be travelling from Chennai. If I take Coimbatore route, I have an option to break-in and continue again in the morning. I was not too sure about the recent Road conditions. Can you advise how long it would take to cover this distance?

Or Is it better to take Bangalore - Mysore route?
Old 10th June 2014, 20:51   #1409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanoop.Patteri View Post
Thanks, I will be travelling from Chennai. If I take Coimbatore route, I have an option to break-in and continue again in the morning. I was not too sure about the recent Road conditions. Can you advise how long it would take to cover this distance?

Or Is it better to take Bangalore - Mysore route?
Coimbatore-Kannur is a route which I have not driven end to end, so I would not be the best person to comment about the time it would take. But road conditions are pretty good, that is something I am sure. From Chennai, I feel its better to take the Bangalore-Mysore route to Kannur. chennai-Bangalore is pretty good as you would be aware. You can easily bypass Bangalore through NICE road and exit to Mysore road from it. Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur is pretty good except for the numerous speed breakers. Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Virajpet-Iritty-Kannur has around 10 km of 'not so good' roads, but the remaining stretch has excellent roads. You could budget around 7 hours for Bangalore-Kannur drive.

Here is the map link : http://goo.gl/maps/QPzqm

The stretch between Points D and E would be rough.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 17:17   #1410
BHPian

Planning to visit Kannur this (or the next) weekend (starting from Bangalore). Plan to start early - around 4:30AM.

Will be driving a rather heavily loaded Logan (belly-scratcher heavy), and need to avoid roads that are only SUV/MUV worthy ! Would be traveling with small kids and aged parents.

Is the following indeed the ideal road presently ?

Bangalore > NICE Road > Mysore Road > Mysore > Hunsur > Gonikoppal > Virajpet/Vijrapet > Iritty > Kannur (roughly 7 hours?)

Kindly suggest decent pit-stops (clean food + clean rest-rooms) between Hunsur and Iritty ?

Last edited by bdutta : 12th June 2014 at 17:23. Reason: clarification

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks