Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2014, 07:12   #1501
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

@gearedup -
1) There is no driving restriction - do not worry
2) There are few hotels in Iritty itself you can try that. I have no idea about hotel options in Irikkur town.

I started from Electronic city @ 2.45 PM yesterday and reached Kannur @ 10.30 PM (took 1 hr dinner+tea break). Potholes between Yelwal and Hunsur SH are repaired now, but did not see much improvement on pending road work between Hunsur-Gonikoppa stretch. But as others said you can manage with any vehicles.

Road is damaged at few places between Iritty and Mattanur, thanks to heavy rain.
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2014, 22:45   #1502
BHPian

Came back from Kannur today. Onward journey (on 2nd October) was beautiful as I took the Kanakpura route(my new found love!)in the morning. In fact, at NICE road toll booth I had taken coupon for Mysore road. But seeing the huge number of cars already on the road (even at 5.30am), took the Kanakpura road exit. Only grouse with this route would be the lack of proper rest room/restaurant options. Nothing new on the bad stretch of Hunsur-Gonikoppal route. Unfortunately no work is happening now, do not know why :(
While returning (today), took Mysore road itself. Traffic was quite heavy (for an afternoon), but manageable. As a vegetarian, extremely happy to have A2B on this route now. I cannot tolerate the Adiga's, Kamats etc when it comes to Dosas, Sambar & Chutney..
Old 6th October 2014, 14:35   #1503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
Onward journey (on 2nd October) was beautiful as I took the Kanakpura route(my new found love!)in the morning. In fact, at NICE road toll booth I had taken coupon for Mysore road. But seeing the huge number of cars already on the road (even at 5.30am), took the Kanakpura road exit. Only grouse with this route would be the lack of proper rest room/restaurant options. Nothing new on the bad stretch of Hunsur-Gonikoppal route. Unfortunately no work is happening now, do not know why :(
While returning (today), took Mysore road itself. Traffic was quite heavy (for an afternoon), but manageable. As a vegetarian, extremely happy to have A2B on this route now. I cannot tolerate the Adiga's, Kamats etc when it comes to Dosas, Sambar & Chutney..
Sivadas, Hows the road condition Malavalli - Bannur - Mysore..? Have you taken this route? Earlier I heard that at Bannur, the road is small and not in good condition in the town limit.

Yes, A2B is a good choice now. It actually a food court and there are other options too.
Old 9th October 2014, 17:20   #1504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Sivadas, Hows the road condition Malavalli - Bannur - Mysore..? Have you taken this route? Earlier I heard that at Bannur, the road is small and not in good condition in the town limit.

Yes, A2B is a good choice now. It actually a food court and there are other options too.
I went by Malavalli - Bannur - Mysore route only. Yes, post Malavalli, there are many humps and road surface is a bit rough at places. Inside Bannur town, road is not good and is quite narrow, but that is hardly for some 500 meters. What I feel is that this route is good only during morning times as villages become active and chaotic later (especially in the evening).
sivadas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 14:48   #1505
Senior - BHPian

Planning to go to Kannur for a holiday during Deepavali. Any suggestions on the road conditions and route to be taken. Also planning to leave early in the morning need suggestion on breakfast (Hunsur or beyond) and Veg restaurants in Kannur (For Lunch and Dinner).
Old 16th October 2014, 19:12   #1506
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Planning to go to Kannur for a holiday during Deepavali. Any suggestions on the road conditions and route to be taken. Also planning to leave early in the morning need suggestion on breakfast (Hunsur or beyond) and Veg restaurants in Kannur (For Lunch and Dinner).
- Kalyani : Mysore ORR
- Cafe coorg: Hunsur Bypass
- CCD : Periyapatna.
Old 16th October 2014, 20:29   #1507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Best route as of now is via Mandya-Mysore ORR-Hunsur-Thithimathi-Gonikoppal-Virajpet(bypass)-Makkuta ghat-Iritty-Mattannur-Kannur.
roads are in good condition throughout except around 7km between Hunsur and Gonikoppal, and a few patches between Mattannur and Kannur. The bad stretches are very much manageable, and you can easily do this stretch in 6-7 hours with sedate driving.

For breakfast, the best bet would be Cafe County, Hunsur if you leave Bangalore by , say 4.30 AM. If you plan to leave late, there are plenty of excellent restaurants between Bangalore and Mysore.
There are very few pure veg restaurants in Kannur - I can only think of a few like Dakshin, sree vaishnavi, Quality, Aquaris, Gowrishankar etc. Among them, Dakshin which is in south Bazaar is the better bet with parking etc. However all other major restaurants do serve pure veg food also and If you don't mind having veg food from a non veg restaurant, there are plenty of such hotels.

I will pm you my number. Feel free to call for any help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- Kalyani : Mysore ORR
- Cafe coorg: Hunsur Bypass
- CCD : Periyapatna.
Cafe coorg is now Cafe county. taken over by a Kannur based group and rebranded. No need to go to Periyapatna now that Hunsur-Gonikopal road is almost ok.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 16th October 2014 at 20:30.
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 13:47   #1508
Senior - BHPian

There is a new Cafe Coorg @ Gonikoppal (after crossing town) when you are going towards Kannur.

I am starting from Bangalore tomorrow evening

Last edited by Latheesh : 21st October 2014 at 13:48.
Old 21st October 2014, 13:58   #1509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
There is a new Cafe Coorg @ Gonikoppal (after crossing town) when you are going towards Kannur.

I am starting from Bangalore tomorrow evening
Latheesh, its not new any more. This is operational atleast from last April'14. I took a break there during that time.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 21st October 2014, 16:05   #1510
Senior - BHPian

Yes Rajesh, we too started taking break there since June'14.

I'll be starting @ 4PM from Bangalore and will take Mysore road. Hope to reach Srirangapatna in 3 hours. I am not familiar with Kanakapura-Malavalli route.
Old 21st October 2014, 23:39   #1511
BHPian

Quote:
Yes Rajesh, we too started taking break there since June'14.

I'll be starting @ 4PM from Bangalore and will take Mysore road. Hope to reach Srirangapatna in 3 hours. I am not familiar with Kanakapura-Malavalli route.
If you are starting in the evening, taking Kanakapura-Malavalli route is not good. It will be quite crowded with people, cattle, dogs and countless number of deadly two wheeler riders
sivadas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2014, 10:11   #1512
Senior - BHPian

Started from Ecity-Bangalore @ 3.15 PM and reached Kannur @ 10.45 PM (1 hour break). Bad stretch between Hunsur and Gonikoppal is almost same except metalling under progress in couple of kilometers, watch out for few new speed breakers.

Surprisingly Bangalore-Srirangapatna drive was smooth.
Old 17th November 2014, 13:20   #1513
BHPian

Quote:
...Bad stretch between Hunsur and Gonikoppal is almost same except metalling under progress in couple of kilometers, watch out for few new speed breakers.
There are five speed breakers in total, two of them in pairs, near a school and a small village. Asphalting is going on in the remaining stretch with 6.5 kms left to be done.
I reached Payyanur in 8 hours, 1.5 hours break included.
igniteddriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 13:46   #1514
Senior - BHPian

Had done Bangalore-Kannur a week ago. work was going on in the 7 km stretch , but the pace seems to be slow. not much machinery was found. Around 4-5 km of the 7 km stretch has lot of loose stones and is dusty. remaining is leveled and smooth. Luckily no potholes. pics below:

The leveled surface:
Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-img_20141107_091958116_hdr.jpg

The rough surface with loose stones:
Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-p_20141112_095848.jpg

rest of the stretch is in fantastic condition. As igniteddriver said, there are a few unmarked humps. I saw a brio coming at high speed 'fly' over one of them after he failed to notice it.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 17th November 2014 at 13:48.
sandsun7 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 16:25   #1515
Senior - BHPian

Did Bangalore-Kannur drive yesterday, started from Ecity at 2.30PM and reached Kannur at 10.30 PM (incl 1 hr break). Now the bad stretch is around 5 KM and work is going at a slow pace. It can be easily managed with any vehicles.
Latheesh is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed