Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2014, 23:53   #1366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Not sure about when Monsoon would start. But its already raining in the coast thanks to some depression.

Here you go :
Route Link

Bangalore-Mysore (ORR) - Hunsur Bypass - Periyapatna - Siddapur - Virajpet - Iritty - Mattannur - Kannur

You don't need to take the Periyapatna route anymore. The direct Hunsur - Gonikkoppal route is far better now. This will save distance and time. Only a few kms left out without tarring and this can be covered in any type of car.

Do not worry about monsoon in Kerala, in fact it's better to visit Kerala during monsoon.
RajeshK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 13:47   #1367

re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
You don't need to take the Periyapatna route anymore. The direct Hunsur - Gonikkoppal route is far better now. This will save distance and time. Only a few kms left out without tarring and this can be covered in any type of car.

Do not worry about monsoon in Kerala, in fact it's better to visit Kerala during monsoon.
Thanks a lot, Rajesh. I assume, it would be Bangalore-Hunsur-Gonikkopal-Virajpet-Iritty-Mattanur-Kannur.
Abhnag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 15:21   #1368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhnag View Post
Thanks a lot, Rajesh. I assume, it would be Bangalore-Hunsur-Gonikkopal-Virajpet-Iritty-Mattanur-Kannur.
Yes, thats correct. After hunsur, towards Gonikkoppal initial 15km+ is ready now. The next 7-8kms, road is level, but no tarring till you reach the Anechowkur Checkpost. The work is in progress now.

Once you cross the check post road is very good till you reach Gonikkoppal town. From there to till the Virajpet turn, road work is going on so you may get some rough stretches. Take the direct route to Perumbadi checkpost instead of Virajpet town route.
RajeshK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 14:46   #1369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
You don't need to take the Periyapatna route anymore. The direct Hunsur - Gonikkoppal route is far better now. This will save distance and time. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by princenoble View Post
From Bangalore, Via Chenrayapattana, Holenarasipura, Arakalgoud, somwarpet, Madikeri, Bhagamadala, Panathur, cherupuzha to Therthally, I did not encouter any bad or difficult stretches.
@RajeshK: Is this route open during night? I'm planning to start from Bangalore around 4pm. So will there be any problems of the forest portion of the route being shut?

@princenoble:
Thank you. Which route did you take from Madikeri to Bhagamandala? I guess there are 2 routes, hence the question. Also same question for this route as well - are you aware of the bhagamandala-panathur route being shut for traffic during the night?
Old 15th May 2014, 16:58   #1370
Senior - BHPian

@vinjosep - there is no night restriction in this route. You can start at any time.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2014, 10:07   #1371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
@vinjosep - there is no night restriction in this route. You can start at any time.
Thank you Latheesh. You meant there are no restrictions for both the routes I mentioned, right?

(i.e. via Gonigoppa, Iritty as well as via Madikeri-Bhagamandala-Panathur)

Last edited by vinjosep : 16th May 2014 at 10:09.
vinjosep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2014, 17:42   #1372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Thank you Latheesh. You meant there are no restrictions for both the routes I mentioned, right?

(i.e. via Gonigoppa, Iritty as well as via Madikeri-Bhagamandala-Panathur)

Yes, there is no night restriction on both the roads.. but there could be mist at some places in night specially on rainy days..!!
Old 19th May 2014, 18:29   #1373

Completed my second Bangalore - Kannur drive along with my family yesterday.

BLR-KNR: Srirangapattana - Hunsur - Periyapatna - Siddapura - Virajpet - Irity. Guided by Google Navigator.

Road condition between Periyapatna and Siddapura is in very bad shape. 14 KM out of 25 took me about 90 minutes.

We met a Coffee Planter and his family at the resort we stayed in Kannur. This gentleman guided me a better way.

KNR - BLR: Irity - Virajpet - Siddapura - Ammathi - Kushalnagar - Periyapatna - Hunsur - Srirangapatna - BLR.

Awesome road with an exception of ~2 KM where they are laying the road. The only bottleneck we faced was after Ramnagara. Ramnagara to NICE road junction took about 2 hours due to heavy traffic.

Weather was fantastic in Kannur during our stay there (15th to 18th May 2014).

Temperature in Bangalore was ~36 deg C, and Kannur recorded ~32 deg C.
NO RAIN.
Cool sea breeze.
Clear sky.
Good company (Last time my in laws were with us. So... you are right Mr Wangroo, I mean Rancho!!!).

Overall a great relaxing holiday.
Old 19th May 2014, 23:10   #1374
BHPian

An update on the Srirangapatna <> Yelwala <> Hunsur stretch:

They've blocked the road under the railway bridge after the KRS turnoff.
When you are coming from Hunsur side, you will have to take a diversion before the railway bridge.
If you are coming from Srirangapatna side, you can go to KRS I suppose; but you'll not be able to go further towards Hunsur.

Not sure till when the blockage will be there. I guess they are relaying the road in that stretch.
Old 20th May 2014, 12:53   #1375
shimshumara

Gautom, thanks for the update. How long was the total journey? if you follow the route of KNR-BLR: Irity - Virajpet - Siddapura - Ammathi - Kushalnagar - Periyapatna - Hunsur - Srirangapatna - BLR. Assume you never had any traffic jams.

We are working on a plan to drive to Kannur around June 1st weekend but are hard pressed for time. If it takes more than 6 hours, we would prefer somewhere in the Forests around Mysore.

Thanks in advance.

Old 20th May 2014, 14:13   #1376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshumara View Post
. If it takes more than 6 hours, we would prefer somewhere in the Forests around Mysore.
Bangalore-Kannur in 6 hours is a bit tight under the current circumstances.
Once the shortest route via Gonikoppal-Virajpet is completely renovated, it might be possible, but not now.
Old 24th May 2014, 02:29   #1377

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshumara View Post
How long was the total journey? if you follow the route of KNR-BLR: Irity - Virajpet - Siddapura - Ammathi - Kushalnagar - Periyapatna - Hunsur - Srirangapatna - BLR. Assume you never had any traffic jams.

We are working on a plan to drive to Kannur around June 1st weekend but are hard pressed for time. If it takes more than 6 hours, we would prefer somewhere in the Forests around Mysore.
There was no traffic till Ramanagara/Hanumanthanagara. After that you got the real taste of Bangalore as there was a heavy rush of people trying to enter Bangalore.

If I leave aside the 2 hours before NICE road, there and about another hour and half lunch and rest on the way, the trip took me less than 6 hours.

You may explore the forest, and update your experience here. If you go via Nagarhole, you finish the forest before Mananthawari, and if you go via Wynad, you will emerge near Sulthan Batherry.

I took the former road in my previous trip to Kannur a couple of years ago, and the the later on my way back. both these took me over 6 hours.
Old 27th May 2014, 12:02   #1378
BHPian

Does anyone know if the Srirangapatna-Yelwala road is open at the KRS road junction?
Assume outer ring road (Mysore) would be a better option.
I am driving to Kannur this Friday and can only start by noon

Last edited by sivadas : 27th May 2014 at 12:04.
Old 27th May 2014, 13:33   #1379
Senior - BHPian

Even I am planning to drive to Kannur this friday!

I'll be taking Hunsur-Gonikoppal route this time.
Old 27th May 2014, 14:23   #1380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Even I am planning to drive to Kannur this friday!

I'll be taking Hunsur-Gonikoppal route this time.
Latheesh, please update the status once done. I will be traveling early June.

I would also like to know about the KRS road status

Thanks
Rajesh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks