Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2013, 17:52   #1231
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Are you sure you took the same amount of time via Maldare and via Kushalnagar ? I just checked the GPX file corresponding to my last drive on the Maldare route (was 2-3 months ago) and I found that the first 18 kms from Siddhapura took me 23 minutes (Average of 46kmph) and the last 10 kms took me 21 minutes for a total of 44 minutes. Yes the last 10 kms is bad, but SUV only territory ? Not really.
I did not mean it is an SUV only territory. What I meant was the bad road is insignificant if it is an SUV. The bumpy ride will be felt if it is a car. It took me around 1 hour since I was in a two-wheeler. Around 45 minutes for a 4-wheeler is good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Do you think one can do the remaining 22 kms to Siddhapura in under 20 minutes ? I think around 30 minutes would be more like it with normal driving.
Out of remaining 22 kms, 10 kms is very good until the deviation to Dubare elephant camp. Only remaining 12 kms are not-so-good. Again, it is not as bad a stretch as the Maldare route. So a car can do it without much issues.

Well, it might not be exactly the same time, may be 5-10 min extra via. Kushal Nagar depending on what time of the day we drive.
Old 18th November 2013, 18:15   #1232
BHPian

Did Sreekandapuram-BLR yesterday. Route>>S'puram-Iritty-Virajpet-Ammathi-Siddapura-Periyapatna-Hunsur-Mysore(Ring Road)-BLR

Distance 312kms, of which hardly 10-15kms roads which need you to slow down below 50kmph. Watch out for some monster craters while ascending the ghat section (couple of big ones immediately after crossing culverts). Slow down on these.

Was a relaxed drive, please refer below GPS track for specific info on where to slow down/accelerate etc.

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/work...oftdpt6mv8r7d6
xotiq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 23:05   #1233
BHPian

Hi xotiq

Did not ever imagine Sports tracker is having such a use!! Awesome! May be I am really a "Newbie" . I will use it next time. Very informative post. Thanks.

Did anybody recently took the KRS road to bypass Mysore City? Any updates of the road condition?
Regards
Old 22nd November 2013, 13:15   #1234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijubalan View Post
Hi xotiq

Did not ever imagine Sports tracker is having such a use!! Awesome! May be I am really a "Newbie" . I will use it next time. Very informative post. Thanks.

Did anybody recently took the KRS road to bypass Mysore City? Any updates of the road condition?
Regards
Welcome onboard bijubalan.

If you are referring to the bypass road from srirangapatna, its in decent shape but bumpy. Around 300mts immediately after the turning to KRS is real bad, otherwise ok. Would recommend the Ring Road over this one.

Last edited by xotiq : 22nd November 2013 at 13:23.
Old 22nd November 2013, 13:54   #1235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijubalan View Post
OT: The old version of Sportstracker (The Nokia one) used to have a provision to export the track to a GPX file, but that capability doesn't exist in the Android version. You have to upload it to their server and export it to a GPX file there.

I prefer to keep my tracks in GPX format because it can then be processed by a variety of GPS software (unlike the .dat files which sportstracker creates) . I use a program called "gpsprune" to view the tracks and add waypoints etc later.

"My Tracks" (from Google) is also quite OK for saving your tracks (as GPX or KML files), but I've seen it misbehave once in a way - just stops recording at some random time - haven't investigated what exactly causes this.

@xotiq : Can you please post a GPX version of that track here as an attachment ? (You can export it from your diary on the Sports Tracker server)
Old 25th November 2013, 11:37   #1236
BHPian

Had been to Gonikoppal through the rough patch on saturday evening, there is no road , it has been flattened and is covered with mud but doable in a MPV/SUV very dusty and rough though.

On our return on sunday after a wedding ceremony from Siddapur, we were following google maps blindly and realised after some not so great road that we were following the Holenarasipur- Channarayapatna -Kunigal -Nelamangala route, then there was no turning back had about 20kms of bad roads till Holenarasipur and then it was a breeze. The distance was greater by only 15kms to reach Bangalore vis a vis the Mysore route, but once on the highway it was pleasant.

Another mistake while going to Gonikoppal was we took a turn at Srirangapatna and took the KRS route, should have gone all the way upto the ring road and took a turn to reach Yelwal to beat the bad roads.

On the way had dinner at Hallimane , Hunsur at about 10 pm, food was average.
Old 8th December 2013, 22:56   #1237
BHPian

Hi friends . Planning a trip to Tellicherry from Bangalore, later this month. After reading the latest updates here, have decided to take the Mysore ring road to connect to Hunsur Road.

However, am still undecided on the route after Hunsur.

Option 1: Virajpet Via Gonikoppa ??
Option 2: Virajpet via Periyapatna/Siddapura

If on Gonikoppa route, there is a short cut at Bittangala, which bypasses Virajpet , into the Iritty road. Anyone tried this ?

I have had some fantastic and accurate feedback in the past from this team. Hope to get some quality again .

Regards,
Old 9th December 2013, 00:08   #1238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
Hi friends . Planning a trip to Tellicherry from Bangalore, later this month. After reading the latest updates here, have decided to take the Mysore ring road to connect to Hunsur Road.

However, am still undecided on the route after Hunsur.

If on Gonikoppa route, there is a short cut at Bittangala, which bypasses Virajpet , into the Iritty road. Anyone tried this ?

I have had some fantastic and accurate feedback in the past from this team. Hope to get some quality again .

Regards,
Periyapatna-Siddapur-Ammathi is better than taking the road via Gonikoppa. Drove from BLR and back last month, and the route is good. You can check the GPS track for reference. Yesterday..came to BLR by a private travels bus, which avoided the Gonikoppa route as well.
xotiq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 15:17   #1239
BHPian

Quote:
Bad roads though work is happening. Best avoided.
Quote:
Decent stretch. Should be doable in any decent car. Most preferred option right now, I believe.
Quote:
This stretch is in good condition. It lands straight at the Perumbadi check-post (beginning of the ghat section). The roads are good from this point. But the road via Gonikoppa to reach this place is a back-breaker.
gk_fiesta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 20:38   #1240
BHPian

Any updates on the recent condition of the Madikeri-Bhagamandala-Panathur stretch? I'm assuming the roads are good from Mysore to Madikeri.
Old 18th December 2013, 21:44   #1241
BHPian

Planning to drive to Payyanur on this Saturday. Mostly the route will be Srirangapatna - Elwala - Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Perumbadi - Irikkur - Sreekantapuram - Thalipparamba - Payyanur. Yes, I am planning to take the Hunsur - Gonikoppal route as I drove in this same route during Oct'13 and it was a success. I will update the current condition once done.
Old 19th December 2013, 00:23   #1242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
...Yes, I am planning to take the Hunsur - Gonikoppal route as I drove in this same route during Oct'13 and it was a success. I will update the current condition once done.
I read on the facebook page that lots of new speed breakers, back breakers rather, have been erected on the newly done road, some without markers.
Old 22nd December 2013, 13:06   #1243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Planning to drive to Payyanur on this Saturday. Mostly the route will be Srirangapatna - Elwala - Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Perumbadi - Irikkur - Sreekantapuram - Thalipparamba - Payyanur. Yes, I am planning to take the Hunsur - Gonikoppal route as I drove in this same route during Oct'13 and it was a success. I will update the current condition once done.
Looking forward to a detailed report.

It will determine which route our convoy to Kannur will finally take.
As of now, it is via Siddapura, but if road conditions have improved substantially will re-route via Gonikoppa.

Also confirm that the Virajpet byepass at Bittangala towards Perumbadi check post is good.

Thanks
Old 22nd December 2013, 16:33   #1244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by igniteddriver View Post
I read on the facebook page that lots of new speed breakers, back breakers rather, have been erected on the newly done road, some without markers.
Any update on how far the road is newly done? Also the stretch between Gonikoppal and Virajpet bypass?

Planning to drive to Payyanur on Wednesday and waiting for updates from Rajesh.
Old 22nd December 2013, 16:42   #1245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSUDARSANAN View Post
Looking forward to a detailed report. It will determine which route our convoy to Kannur will finally take. As of now, it is via Siddapura, but if road conditions have improved substantially will re-route via Gonikoppa. Also confirm that the Virajpet byepass at Bittangala towards Perumbadi check post is good. Thanks
Here is the update
Sreerangapatna - Elwala : Road is good except for the 200mtrs just after the KRS turn off

Hunsur - Anechowkur check post : The first 7km is very nice.. nicely marked road humps but after this around 16km is level but no tarring. There is no sign of road work at these places. It's vey unpleasant to drive at these stretch.

Anechowkur - Gonikkoppal : Road is good and you can cruise. Potholes are getting patched up. At Gonikkoppal town roads construction is going on.

Gonikkoppal - Koottupuzha :
Road work is going after Gonikkoppal till Virajpet turn off. I think this will take some time to complete till then better to avoid this route. The first 4km after the Perumbadi check post is bad shape. You may scrape your bottom if you are driving a sedan

At present the best option is via Virajpet - Periyapatna for Hunsur- Koottupuzha
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks