Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2013, 11:47   #1186
BHPian

Re: Bangalore->Kalpetta->Kozhikode->Thalaserry->Kannur->Bangalore

Thanks... couldn't have asked for a more comprehensive and to-the-point answer.

Will try to share a travelogue.
Old 4th October 2013, 11:33   #1187
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Friends, any one has update on the Hunsur - Gonikoppal road..? Is it drivable now...? Or else what about the Periyapatna - Anechowkur - Gonikoppal..?

I am driving to Payyanur tomorrow early morning

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 4th October 2013, 12:18   #1188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Friends, any one has update on the Hunsur - Gonikoppal road..? Is it drivable now...? Or else what about the Periyapatna - Anechowkur - Gonikoppal..?
I am driving to Payyanur tomorrow early morning
Thanks
Rajesh
Not heard anything on the same, but I have heard that locals have filled up the potholes on the Periyapatna-siddapura stretch with mud and gravel, so would be a lot easier now. This was from someone who traveled 10 days ago.

Meanwhile, Kerala chief minister Oomen Chandy had a meeting with his Karnataka counterpart Siddaramaiah to discuss about the alternate route options to avoid the difficulties caused due to night ban on bandipur highway. Karnataka government has agreed to take up the restoration of the alternate route through Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Kutta at the earliest. Also the two governments are exploring three other alternative routes: Mysore -Bavali - Mananthawadi-Sultan-Batheri, Mysore-Virajpet-Kannur, Mysore-Bylukuppe-Virajpet-Kannur. Progress of the work will be monitored by a joint committee comprising officials from both states

Source: http://www.deccanchronicle.com/13100...ive-me-my-road

Last edited by sandsun7 : 4th October 2013 at 12:19.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 12:33   #1189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Not heard anything on the same, but I have heard that locals have filled up the potholes on the Periyapatna-siddapura stretch with mud and gravel, so would be a lot easier now. This was from someone who traveled 10 days ago.

[/url]
Sandeep, Thank you... I have travelled on the Periyapatna - Siddapura stretch during Onam. It was patched up with mud and gravel. But this time, I wanted to try the Gonikoppal option as it used to little faster than any other alternatives. Will post the update if I am taking this route tomorrow.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 4th October 2013, 12:42   #1190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sandeep, Thank you... I have travelled on the Periyapatna - Siddapura stretch during Onam. It was patched up with mud and gravel. But this time, I wanted to try the Gonikoppal option as it used to little faster than any other alternatives. Will post the update if I am taking this route tomorrow.

Thanks
Rajesh
I would not recommend Hunsur-gonikoppal, work is going on is what I heard, but I presume it would be nowhere near to being decent yet. I had been to Kannur a week before onam in a bus which took the Periyapatna-Anechowkoor road, and it was very rough. The rough ride woke up everyone in the bus then. I faintly remember the road after Gonikoppal to be decent.
Old 5th October 2013, 18:46   #1191
BHPian

Quote:
I would not recommend Hunsur-gonikoppal, work is going on is what I heard, but I presume it would be nowhere near to being decent yet. I had been to Kannur a week before onam in a bus which took the Periyapatna-Anechowkoor road, and it was very rough. The rough ride woke up everyone in the bus then. I faintly remember the road after Gonikoppal to be decent.
Sandeep, Today I took the Periyapatna - Anechowkur - Gonikkoppal road. The 11km till Anechowkur is rough but without any pothole..you can drive only in 2nd or 3rd gear most of the time. After that till the Gonikkoppal town limit everything is fine and you can pickup good speed.But Gonikkoppal to Virajpet turn off road is very rough.After this to the check post is newly laid road. The initial 2km after the check post remains the same or worse. Overall this route will save some time as most of places it's straight than via siddapura.
Old 5th October 2013, 19:32   #1192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But Gonikkoppal to Virajpet turn off road is very rough.After this to the check post is newly laid road. The initial 2km after the check post remains the same or worse. Overall this route will save some time as most of places it's straight than via siddapura.
Thanks for the info Rajesh. So effectively, around 17 kms (from Anechowkoor to Gonikoppal) is good, and either sides of it remains bad. I still feel Siddapura route would be a better option because distance wise, there is hardly any difference, and you have decent roads, except for may be around 10-12 kms. One advantage with the route you took would be that you can bypass Virajpet town completely, but then Gonikoppal town still remains a bottle neck. Once I remember getting stuck inside Gonikkoppal town for 30 odd minutes. BTW are those mighty big potholes after perumpadi lake still there?

My next drive to Kannur would most likely be only in December, hopefully the Hunsur-Gonikoppal stretch would be alright by then.

Slightly OT, just saw in another thread that you tried the newly opened 'Halli mane' near the cafe Coorg, Hunsur. How was the food?

Last edited by sandsun7 : 5th October 2013 at 19:35. Reason: added a question
Old 5th October 2013, 21:27   #1193
BHPian

Quote:
BTW are those mighty big potholes after perumpadi lake still there? My next drive to Kannur would most likely be only in December, hopefully the Hunsur-Gonikoppal stretch would be alright by then. Slightly OT, just saw in another thread that you tried the newly opened 'Halli mane' near the cafe Coorg, Hunsur. How was the food?
Sandeep,

I felt the road via Gonikkoppal is faster b'cose of the slightly straighter roads..!!

Those potholes are getting bigger and soon will cover the entire width of the road..!!

Hallimane is very next to Coorg Cafe and slightly better food. We had idli and pongal.. Pongal was very good..!!
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 07:50   #1194
BHPian

Came back to Bangalore last night by Bus. The bus came via Virajpet - Siddapura -Periyapatna route. However, met fello BHPian igniteddriver in the bus, sitting next to me. He came to Kannur few days back in the regular Hunsur - Gonikoppal route. As per him, the first 10KM towards Anechowkur is very good, next 8-10km is leveled and driving is easy, but the last 6-8kms are reall hell for low GC cars. Work is in full swing and we can expect some drivable road by Dec'13..!!

Thanks
Rajesh
RajeshK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 09:49   #1195
BHPian

It was nice meeting you, Rajesh.
Quote:
, but the last 6-8kms are reall hell for low GC cars.
The last 6-8 kms are real mess. No work is going on in the last stretch towards Anecheckour. Hatches and sedans should not even think of taking this route.
But the good news is that work is going on from Hunsur side and the road is "likely" to be in motorable shape in another six months or so. The new under-construction road is wider too.

Last edited by igniteddriver : 8th October 2013 at 10:14.
igniteddriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 13:09   #1196
BHPian

Quote:
Came back to Bangalore last night by Bus. The bus came via Virajpet - Siddapura -Periyapatna route. However, met fello BHPian igniteddriver in the bus, sitting next to me. He came to Kannur few days back in the regular Hunsur - Gonikoppal route. As per him, the first 10KM towards Anechowkur is very good, next 8-10km is leveled and driving is easy, but the last 6-8kms are reall hell for low GC cars. Work is in full swing and we can expect some drivable road by Dec'13..!!

Thanks
Rajesh
It has been sometime since I made trips to Payyanur. Planning for a drive tomorrow evening. After going thru your posts it prompts me to ask specific suggestions. Mine is a Fiesta and after Mysore it will be night drive. Can I take the risk of driving straight from Hunsur to Virajpet via Gonikoppal, or has anybody tried the route via Kushalnagar - Virajpet? Also, how is the road between Iritty and Taliparamba?

Suggestions please....
Old 10th October 2013, 13:57   #1197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin Kumar View Post
Can I take the risk of driving straight from Hunsur to Virajpet via Gonikoppal, or has anybody tried the route via Kushalnagar - Virajpet? Also, how is the road between Iritty and Taliparamba?
I would say don't take the Hunsur-Gonikoppal route. The last 6-8 kms are very bad. Will be even more tough in the night. I went that route in an XUV last Saturday. Instead, take the Periyapatna->Anechekour-> Virajpet route. RajeshK suggests it's leveled now. Kushal nagar Virajpet road is too long and time taking.

OT: Are you from Kandankali, Payyanur? I think I know you.
igniteddriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 14:34   #1198
BHPian

Quote:
It has been sometime since I made trips to Payyanur. Planning for a drive tomorrow evening. After going thru your posts it prompts me to ask specific suggestions. Mine is a Fiesta and after Mysore it will be night drive. Can I take the risk of driving straight from Hunsur to Virajpet via Gonikoppal, or has anybody tried the route via Kushalnagar - Virajpet? Also, how is the road between Iritty and Taliparamba?

Suggestions please....
Quote:
Originally Posted by igniteddriver View Post
I would say don't take the Hunsur-Gonikoppal route. The last 6-8 kms are very bad. Will be even more tough in the night. I went that route in an XUV last Saturday. Instead, take the Periyapatna->Anechekour-> Virajpet route. RajeshK suggests it's leveled now. Kushal nagar Virajpet road is too long and time taking.

OT: Are you from Kandankali, Payyanur? I think I know you.
Please remember that road is not so smooth till Anechowkur and after Gonikkoppal too. Also please be extra careful on the first 2-3km after the Perumbadi checkpost. Some of the potholes are so big, and you will have lesser visibility in the foggy conditions.

Thanks
Rajesh
RajeshK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 23:48   #1199
BHPian

Thanks a lot RajeshK and Igniteddriver for the timely and specific info. So, better I go upto Periyapatna and then to Forest checkpost and continue. I hope Iritty-Taliparamba stretch doesnt have any issues now, and so is Virajpet bypass.

O.T. Yes, indeed...I m the one from Kandankali
Nalin Kumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 06:41   #1200
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot RajeshK and Igniteddriver for the timely and specific info. So, better I go upto Periyapatna and then to Forest checkpost and continue. I hope Iritty-Taliparamba stretch doesnt have any issues now, and so is Virajpet bypass. O.T. Yes, indeed...I m the one from Kandankali
Virajpet bye pass is in very good condition. At Sreekantapuram you will hit an off-road track for about 1km at Parippayi. Road is really bad, but you can sail through. If you wanted to avoid this, go via Kannur, Pazhayangadi route..!! You can take the Chalod-Puthiyatheru to bypass Kannur during day time
RajeshK is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks