Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2018, 18:35   #1936
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
How about bus services between Kannur and Bangalore. Is it normal?
I don't think so. The Periya and the Palchuram routes are closed.
Old 17th August 2018, 22:28   #1937
BHPian

I just reached kannur Safely. Started from Electronic city by 1PM and reached kannur at 8PM. Before starting, I called up Coorg Gate restaurant near perumbadi and inquired about the ghat section. They confirmed there are no issues and LMV's are allowed. Google map was showing possible road closure at two places inside the ghat section hence I cross checked with them about the vehicle movement.

Overall road condition was good through out the journey. There were lot of road work between Koottupuzha bridge and Iritty but still manageable.

I heard that buses didn't operate on Thursday night between Bangalore and kannur and P K travels which stated on wednesday night reached kannur today morning.

Last edited by Anoopscv : 17th August 2018 at 22:29.
Anoopscv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 12:45   #1938
BHPian

Had called Coorg Gate restaurant yesterday, they confirmed route is open for LMV. Anyone has an update on this route?

Last edited by xotiq : 3rd September 2018 at 12:46.
Old 3rd September 2018, 16:56   #1939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Had called Coorg Gate restaurant yesterday, they confirmed route is open for LMV. Anyone has an update on this route?
Yes, the route is open as of yesterday. And coorg gate is the right place to get latest update.
Old 3rd September 2018, 20:58   #1940
BHPian

Any update on the Hunsur-Virajpet-Iritty- Thalassery road status and overall condition. Also heard of no tourist entry into Coorg until September 9th. Have a weekend travel coming up toThalassery. Driving a hatch.

Thanks in advance for inputs and updates.

Last edited by Sportsmind : 3rd September 2018 at 21:24.
Old 3rd September 2018, 23:39   #1941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmind View Post
Any update on the Hunsur-Virajpet-Iritty- Thalassery road status and overall condition. Also heard of no tourist entry into Coorg until September 9th.
The road is open. The ghat section from Virajpet to Iritty is open only for LMVs. Road condition is not in a bad state as such. Where did you hear that news of no entry and from when? Coorg is a wide area. Which part of Coorg is the entry restricted?
I know people who have traveled via this route last weekend.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 00:01   #1942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
The road is open. The ghat section from Virajpet to Iritty is open only for LMVs. Road condition is not in a bad state as such. Where did you hear that news of no entry and from when? Coorg is a wide area. Which part of Coorg is the entry restricted?
I know people who have traveled via this route last weekend.
Thanks for the update.
There was a restriction for tourists across Coorg until 31st August. The same has been extended to September 9th.
Refer: https://starofmysore-com.cdn.ampproj...odagu-stays%2F
Old 4th September 2018, 07:43   #1943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmind View Post
Thanks for the update.
There was a restriction for tourists across Coorg until 31st August. The same has been extended to September 9th.
Refer: https://starofmysore-com.cdn.ampproj...odagu-stays%2F
Okay, this looks to be more to do with the tourism. They probably want to restrict the tourism until things are cleared and stabilized. The Bangalore Kannur route is not affected with the recent floods and the travel is permitted in this stretch.
Old 8th November 2018, 21:15   #1944
BHPian

Would anyone give me the latest update on the road conditions between Coorg and Iritty? Planning a Bangalore-Payyanur drive this weekend and a cab driver suggested Mananthavady route, hence the query. Thanks in advance!
Old 8th November 2018, 21:20   #1945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin Kumar View Post
Would anyone give me the latest update on the road conditions between Coorg and Iritty? Planning a Bangalore-Payyanur drive this weekend and a cab driver suggested Mananthavady route, hence the query. Thanks in advance!
Went by car last week. Cars can take Makkutta ghat road. After Koottupuzha bridge lots of road work happening. But not a big issue. Not sure of the condition beyond Iritty.
sanjaykk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 21:22   #1946
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin Kumar View Post
The cab driver is not up to date with the info. You dont have to go via manathavady now.

The route is Bangalore - Mysore - Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Makootta - Kuttupuzha - Vallithode - Ulikkal - Payyavoor - Sreekantapuram - Taliparamba - Payyanur.

For Payyanur, you do not have to touch Iritty. Deviate from Vallithode towards Ulikkal as mentioned above.

The road is fine throughout.

I do this very frequently and the last being last weekend.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 8th November 2018 at 21:25.
Old 8th November 2018, 22:40   #1947
BHPian

Thanks a lot sanjaykk and balenoed for a quick and detailed update. Yes I had taken the Malabar hill highway a couple of times bypassing Iritty and happy to know that road condition is good throughout
Old 15th December 2018, 18:18   #1948
BHPian

Hi all

Whats the best route from Bangalore to kannur? How are the road conditions, I will be driving a sedan (Sunny) with my 7 month old daughter and wife. I have driven long back till Gonikoppal and have never been beyond that.

How bad or long is the ghat section and is that stretch doable in a sedan? I am assuming there are no good places to eat or take a bio break after Mysore - Hunsur till I reach Kannur?

My final destination is hotel central avenue in kannur which is near the station.

Thanks in advance
Old 15th December 2018, 18:38   #1949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
Whats the best route from Bangalore to kannur? How are the road conditions, I will be driving a sedan (Sunny) with my 7 month old daughter and wife. I have driven long back till Gonikoppal and have never been beyond that.

How bad or long is the ghat section and is that stretch doable in a sedan? I am assuming there are no good places to eat or take a bio break after Mysore - Hunsur till I reach Kannur?
The route is Bangalore - Srirangapatna - KRS Road (which bypasses Mysore city) - Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Ghat road - Koottupuzha - Iritty - Mattanur - Kannur.

Road condition is overall good. No issues as such.
About 7kms stretch before Gonikoppal (Thithimathi to Gonikoppal) has several pot holes, just drive slow on that stretch. That is the only bad part.

After Gonikoppal it is Virajpet, where you can bypass without touching the Virajpet town. Go straight after a place called Bittangala. Road diverts towards right to go to town. Maps should help. And then comes the Perumbadi check post. There is a nice hotel over there - "Coorg Gate". You may chose to take a break here. The ghat road starts right after that, and of course it can be done in a Sedan or any car. Repair work going on at couple of curves, but nothing to be concerned of. It is about 30 minutes drive through the ghat until the border which is a narrow bridge called as "Kootupuzha bridge". From there onward road widening work is happening until Mattanur and nothing to be concerned of. After Mattanur is Kannur.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 15th December 2018 at 18:41.
Old 15th December 2018, 18:43   #1950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
The route is Bangalore - Srirangapatna - KRS Road (which bypasses Mysore city) - Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Ghat road - Koottupuzha - Iritty - Mattanur - Kannur.

Road condition is overall good. No issues as such.
After Mattanur is Kannur.
Thank you so much for the detailed and super quick response!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks