Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2017, 16:37   #1801
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Hi ,

Planning to drive to Thalasheri next week.

Hope the Virajpet - Iritty ghat section is fully functional now. It is showing in
the Google maps, but still wanted some confirmation before venturing out
in the evening / night .

Regards,
SAPVEN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 19:35   #1802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
Hi ,

Hope the Virajpet - Iritty ghat section is fully functional now. It is showing in
in the evening / night .

Regards,
It is fully open now. Buses also are using the route since last week.
Old 8th August 2017, 21:47   #1803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
Hi ,

in the evening / night .

Regards,
I drove last week and this week. It is open.
Google map yet to get updated..

Picture taken day before yesterday:-

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-img_20170808_214243.jpg

Last edited by balenoed_ : 8th August 2017 at 21:50.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 10:08   #1804
BHPian

Hi,

I was planning a drive from Mysore to Kannur tomorrow and Google Maps is showing the Virajpet road as closed and is suggesting the Mysore->HD Kote->Manthanvadi route.

Please suggest if this route is good to travel on or what would be the best option? Thanks!
Old 25th August 2017, 11:29   #1805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangface View Post
Hi,

I was planning a drive from Mysore to Kannur tomorrow and Google Maps is showing the Virajpet road as closed and is suggesting the Mysore->HD Kote->Manthanvadi route.

Please suggest if this route is good to travel on or what would be the best option? Thanks!
No no. It is not closed. Somehow google map got never updated after the road was re-opened after the recent closure. I drove yesterday night too to Kannur via that. Go ahead via Virajpet - Iritty route only.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 25th August 2017 at 11:32.
Old 30th August 2017, 09:38   #1806
BHPian

Last Sunday (27th August '17) while coming via Makkutta I saw one new restaurant opened at the Perumbadi Checkpost. This seems to be better one than those available in Gonikoppal though I am yet to experience their service. If it is good, this will be a good option for those who are travelling in this route..(I think the name is Coorg Gate)
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 09:45   #1807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Last Sunday (27th August '17) while coming via Makkutta I saw one new restaurant opened at the Perumbadi Checkpost. This seems to be better one than those available in Gonikoppal though I am yet to experience their service. If it is good, this will be a good option for those who are travelling in this route..(I think the name is Coorg Gate)
This is a few meters before the Perumpady check post, on the left side when going towards Bangalore I guess. Construction was going on when I passed by a couple of months ago. Looked pretty good with ample parking space also. Will try this our on my return trip after Onam.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 09:53   #1808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
This is a few meters before the Perumpady check post, on the left side when going towards Bangalore I guess. Construction was going on when I passed by a couple of months ago. Looked pretty good with ample parking space also. Will try this our on my return trip after Onam.
Are you guys talking about that building just adjacent to the check post, with green sheet roof. I though that was part of the check post. That is a restaurant is it? Is it opened ? Then it is a good option to take break just before and after the ghat drive. A much needed one at that place.
Old 30th August 2017, 15:47   #1809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Are you guys talking about that building just adjacent to the check post, with green sheet roof. I though that was part of the check post. That is a restaurant is it? Is it opened ? Then it is a good option to take break just before and after the ghat drive. A much needed one at that place.
Yes. It was opened on the very next day of Vinayaka Chathurthi. It got good parking facility too.
RajeshK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 21:09   #1810
Senior - BHPian

Copying as received through a whatsapp group today:-

Quote:
So this happened yesterday night near Gonikkoppe!!

Few hooligans robbed my friend's car. They were on the way to hometown from Bangalore after Onam shopping. It was a CELERIO. A gang of people stopped the car in between Gonikkoppe and Virajpet, beaten my friends. Showing knife they asked my friends to drop the car and leave.

Now they got the car from outskirts of Virajpet without loosing any belongings. One of my friend have minor fracture and rest everything is clear now.

STAY ALERT. DRIVE AS A GROUP OR TAG ALONG WITH OTHER VEHICLES WHILE TRAVELLING AT ODD TIMINGS. BE SAFE.
This is scary. This menace is never ending. I don't know why people do this, and why the police do not take strict actions whenever they nab the culprits. This particular incident happened at 3am.
Old 30th August 2017, 22:21   #1811
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Copying as received through a whatsapp group today:-

This is scary. This menace is never ending. I don't know why people do this, and why the police do not take strict actions whenever they nab the culprits. This particular incident happened at 3am.
Shocking, that too between Gonikoppal and Virajpet. This is not a completely desolate area, mind you. Night driving in a car, particularly post 1 AM best avoided on this route I feel, unless absolutely necessary.
Old 30th August 2017, 23:37   #1812
BHPian

Visited Kannur this weekend and loved every bit of it.
Followed the same route suggested by the fellow bhpians for both onward and return journey.
Bangalore -- Mysore-- Hunsur -- GoniKoppal -- Virajpet -- Iritty -- Kannur

Started from Bangalore around 5:45 a.m and reached Kannur around 3:00 pm which includes around 2 hours of break time.
Stopped at CCD which comes after kamat lokaruchi before Mysore and thereafter "The Spice Rack" just 1 km before GoniKoppal Bus Stand. It's a new facility, opened just 6 months. Spacious and comfortable seating, good spread of cuisines, taste is good (that's what I felt), underground parking and there is an ATM/Bank too on the ground floor of the same building. So, this will add as another major stop over en route to Kannur.
Road conditions are over all good.
On the way back just after crossing the Iritty Bridge, there's a recently opened cafe "The Rider's cafe". Had a small tea/Coffee and French toast break. They didn't have much to offer on the platter right now but the overall location of this cafe is perfect. Situated on the banks of the flowing river, kinda refreshing set up and quirky seating options will appeal to many and adds another much-needed place in the list for the quick break.
Had Thalaserry Biryani at the famous Paris Restaurant.
Driving beach is a bliss for bhpians, had a great time there.

Overall I found Kannur as an untouched beauty, though if you roam in the city there is nothing much to offer and found the community pretty conservative too(just my two cents). Attaching few pics and will try to write every detail in a travelogue.
Our Resort Destination
Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-3334.jpg

My Ride(Ballu) at Driving Beach
Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-3567.jpg
Highh5 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 11:42   #1813
Senior - BHPian

Returned from Kannur yesterday.
This was the route taken (From home in Alavil till Kootupuzha, the standard route then on)

https://goo.gl/Le7vQN

Good roads all around, the ghats are holding on well except the stray pothole here and there. Saw at least 4 accident vehicles on the ghats. First time seeing so many in a single journey.
Bypassed the Work in progress sections on the Mattanur-Iritty stretch by going through Mayyil-Pattanur-Irikkur-Uliyil-Vallithode. Roads are good through out. See gmap link for the exact route.

Checked out the new Restaurant besides the Perumpadi check post. Neat and clean with clean rest rooms and ample parking space. Food was typical Kerala style with predominantly Non veg on the menu. Had something very light, so cant really judge the taste.

Also, found out that there is a way to bypass the core part of Gonikoppal town. Google maps doesn't show this option, but my Baleno's navigation system which I believe has here maps data had this marked as Gonikoppal bypass. The right turn while coming from Virajpet towards the bypass is marked as 'Kutta bypass' with a small board which is easy to miss. The last 200 metres is full of potholes, but still would have saved me some time compared to going through the crowded main road besides the bus stand.

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-gpbypass.jpg

Last edited by sandsun7 : 7th September 2017 at 11:44.
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 17:03   #1814
Senior - BHPian

Heard that today makkutam churam road was closed due to some accidents and traffic was diverted from Iritty through mananthavady route. Any one has any idea or more details on the present condition?
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 20:05   #1815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Our Resort Destination
Until you come out with the travelogue, which resort was this? Is the beach shown directly accessible? Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks