Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2017, 20:16   #1816
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Until you come out with the travelogue, which resort was this? Is the beach shown directly accessible? Thanks.
Chera Rocks is the resort name. As you can see from the pic itself, beach is just steps away.
Hope it helps.
Highh5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 20:29   #1817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Heard that today makkutam churam road was closed due to some accidents and traffic was diverted from Iritty through mananthavady route. Any one has any idea or more details on the present condition?
Ignore my above post. It is clear now.

With regards to google maps, it still shows the ghat road as closed. It is been showing like that since that recent closure. What does it take to get it updated and show the route as open?

Last edited by balenoed_ : 8th September 2017 at 20:31.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 11:14   #1818
BHPian

Quote:
Ignore my above post. It is clear now.

With regards to google maps, it still shows the ghat road as closed. It is been showing like that since that recent closure. What does it take to get it updated and show the route as open?
Is the road (iritty-Makuta ghat-Virajpet-Madikeri bypass-Puttur safe to drive at night? am planning a drive tonight
Old 10th September 2017, 13:59   #1819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuchel View Post
Is the road (iritty-Makuta ghat-Virajpet-Madikeri bypass-Puttur safe to drive at night? am planning a drive tonight
Not sure about the route beyond virajpet which bypasses Madikeri. Doesn't it go through even via Sullya? If you have never been through that route, better avoid and go via Madikeri highway itself, if it is late in the night.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2017, 07:05   #1820
BHPian

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1506043893.518956.jpg

A new restaurant opened at the Perumbadi check post almost a month back.. Anyone tried this.. any reviews..?

By the way the Ghat road continue to be good though there are signs of damages on the sides. Koottupuzha to Iritty, road work is going on. The bypass to connect to Perumbadi from Bittangala (Gonikoppal side) has few potholes developed.
Old 22nd September 2017, 14:30   #1821
Senior - BHPian

Planning to drive to Kannur tomorrow and decided to take Iritty-Chalode (via Irikkoor?) instead of Iritty-Mattanur route. Hope everything is fine.
Old 22nd September 2017, 15:36   #1822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Planning to drive to Kannur tomorrow and decided to take Iritty-Chalode (via Irikkoor?) instead of Iritty-Mattanur route. Hope everything is fine.
I presume you are headed to Chovva, in which case Iritty-Irikkur-Nayattupara-Chalode-Koodali route would be the better option. Roads were good in the Irikkur-Iritty stretch except for the stray pothole. Work on the Valavupara-Iritty stretch could slow you down. If you want to avoid most of that but don't mind taking a 4 km longer route, you can try this: https://goo.gl/Zk65w4 (Kootupuzha-Vallithode-Ulikkal-Irikkur)

For someone headed to north of Kannur town, Irikkur-Mayyil is a better option as it bypasses Kannur town.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 22:37   #1823
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sansun7 - Started from ECity @ 5AM and reached Chovva by 12.40 PM. Took Kootupuzha-Vallithode-Ulikkal-Irikkur-Chalode as per your suggestion and road condition is very good.
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 12:32   #1824
BHPian

Dear fellow BHPians,

I am planning to visit Kannur with my family next month. I am looking for home stays and resorts in and around Kannur. Any pointers would be of great help.
Old 11th December 2017, 14:40   #1825
BHPian

Hi All,

I am going on a solo motorcycle ride to Kannur. I plan to start around 4:30 AM. As per the previous pages the most common route is

Bangalore - Mysore - Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Virajpet - Iritty - Kannur

There has been talk in the recent pages about road being closed, I hope everything is sorted by now.

I have ridden up to Virajpet before, for some Coorg destinations but never beyond that. How is the road conditions beyond Virajpet. KL roads are always good, but wanted your opinion.

Is there any recommended petrol stations which might dispense some sort of premium petrol? My motorcycle recommended petrol is 95 RON and above, so the premium helps placebo my anxiety

Thanks & regards
Surajit
Old 11th December 2017, 19:47   #1826
Senior - BHPian

Surajit - You do not need to go to Mysore. Take right after Srirangapatna to join Hunsur road @ Yelwal. Last time when I drove (in Sept) took different route after entering Kerala to go to Kannur. This is due to major road work happening in this stretch. PM sandsun7 for latest updates, he may be able to help you.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 21:44   #1827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surajit333 View Post
Hi All,

I am going on a solo motorcycle ride to Kannur. I plan to start around 4:30 AM. As per the previous pages the most common route is

There has been talk in the recent pages about road being closed, I hope everything is sorted by now.

I have ridden up to Virajpet before, for some Coorg destinations but never beyond that. How is the road conditions beyond Virajpet. KL roads are always good, but wanted your opinion.

Is there any recommended petrol stations which might dispense some sort of premium petrol? My motorcycle recommended petrol is 95 RON and above, so the premium helps placebo my anxiety

Thanks & regards
Surajit
Road is all open. The ghat section starts after Virajpet. It is just about 30kms of winding downhill road up to Koottupuzha bridge which is the border. It would be a nice ride through these stretches. I have ridden my bullet several times to Kannur. After that comes Iritty - Kannur. The road construction is still going on in the Iritty - Kannur stretch, but nothing to be concerned for a two wheeler.

I have no idea about premium petrol options.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 09:47   #1828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surajit333 View Post
Hi All,

Thanks & regards
Surajit
No road closures now. The other queries answered in the posts above. Since you are riding a two wheeler, I suggest you take the regular Iritty-Mattannur-Kannur route. But do not expect butter smooth roads on the KL stretch due to the ongoing road work.
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 10:56   #1829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Surajit - You do not need to go to Mysore. Take right after Srirangapatna to join Hunsur road @ Yelwal. Last time when I drove (in Sept) took different route after entering Kerala to go to Kannur. This is due to major road work happening in this stretch. PM sandsun7 for latest updates, he may be able to help you.
Thanks for the info Latheesh, sandsun7 replied.

Quote:
Road is all open. The ghat section starts after Virajpet. It is just about 30kms of winding downhill road up to Koottupuzha bridge which is the border. It would be a nice ride through these stretches. I have ridden my bullet several times to Kannur. After that comes Iritty - Kannur. The road construction is still going on in the Iritty - Kannur stretch, but nothing to be concerned for a two wheeler.

I have no idea about premium petrol options.
Thanks balenoed, I love KL roads, had the privilege of riding from Cochin to Kuttikkanam once, beautiful roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
No road closures now. The other queries answered in the posts above. Since you are riding a two wheeler, I suggest you take the regular Iritty-Mattannur-Kannur route. But do not expect butter smooth roads on the KL stretch due to the ongoing road work.
Thanks sandsun7.

Last edited by Surajit333 : 12th December 2017 at 10:57. Reason: Spelling correction.
Old 23rd December 2017, 14:48   #1830
BHPian

Drove down the Virajpet-Makuta-Iritty-Mattanur-Panoor-Calicut road yesterday. Ghat section has developed many potholes and beware of 2 big ones (near sharp turns) which re not visible easily.
Makuta kootupuzha road is uneven and lots of bridge culvert work is going on and most of diversions don't have proper signals. Advisable to go with speed not more than 60.
Iritty mattanur road has 90 % work completed.
vinuchel is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks