Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2016, 11:36   #1741
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

I am driving tomorrow morning o Kannur and will take KRS road.
Old 3rd January 2017, 13:39   #1742
Senior - BHPian

Update on KRS Road-Jan1:-

It is in perfect driving condition. It is exactly 17 kms from Mysore road exit to Yelawal entry and took me 17 minutes.

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-krs-1.jpg Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-krs2.jpg

On my return journey, I tried this below route for a change. Was feeling bored of Mysore road and I had enough time, so decided to take a detour from Hunsur and get into this route and join the Mangalore highway at Channarayapatna. Let me say, it is a beautiful road and was very refreshing. The whole of 90 kms fom Hunsur to Channarayapatna passes through villages. You could also get to see windmills around Holenarsipura. And after that most of you may know it is the national highway from C'patna to Bangalore. It will be approximately 30 kms extra compared to Mysore road and again depends on which part of the city you reside. If Nelamangala/Yeswanthpur entry is convenient for you, then I think this route will be faster or at least the same as Mysore road. And this route might sometimes help to get rid of the long-weekend evening Mysore road chaos.

I wouldn't really recommend this for frequent use due to the lack of eateries and breakdown assistance and isolated (at night) until you hit the highway at C'patna, but can be taken once in a while (day drives) to explore and see new places.

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-narsipura.jpg

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-b1-1.jpg Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-b1-2.jpg

Last edited by balenoed_ : 3rd January 2017 at 13:40.
balenoed_ is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 14:11   #1743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
On my return journey, I tried this below route for a change. Was feeling bored of Mysore road and I had enough time, so decided to take a detour from Hunsur and get into this route and join the Mangalore highway at Channarayapatna.
I have taken this route quiet number of times. Once you left from Hunsur and until you reach CR Patna, you may not find any good eatery with proper restroom facility. Also this is good for the people staying north side of Bangalore. South Bangalore guys has to shell out more at tolls. This was the only route opened during the Cauveri issue.
Old 21st January 2017, 15:14   #1744
BHPian

Dear fellow TBHPians,
Driving to Kannur first time, on 26th Jan long weekend. Perhaps google map shows the exact route to be taken current days for BLR to Kannur as per TBHP i.e. this, however want to be assured about some finer intermediate route points. Would be using Hunsur - Krishnarajanagara - Holenarasipur- Channarayapattana - Kunigal - Nelamangala route on the return journey. Would appreciate any sort/amount of inputs/assurance on below doubts/curiosities/concerns.

(1) Hunsur to Gonikoppal in current thread earlier(may be year back or so) used to be prescribed as Hunsur - Periyapatna - Anechoukoor Check Post(via SH21) - Gonikoppal i.e. this? Is this not the recommended way now, and is it Hunsur - Anechoukoor Check Post - Gonikoppal on SH90 i.e. this? Shorter and google map suggested is later one.

(2) Holenarasipur to Channarayapattana is recommended via shorter and google map suggested SH8 i.e. this?, or via longer SH102 + SH121 i.e. this? I read recommendation of later instead in some thread, for good road conditions.

(3) Want to confirm the route points from Mattannur to Kannur, is it Mattannur- Therur - Chalode - Koodali - Kudukkimotta - Vattapoyil - Elayavoor - Mele Chovva junction - Kannur(viaNH66) i.e. this? Is aforementioned the standard "Mattannur to Kannur" route road conditions wise? Google map also suggests as alternative tad longer Mattannur - Kanhirode - Chakkarakkal - Chovva Fish Market junction - kannur(via SH66) i.e. this. Which is the standard or better route? My destination in Kannur is at Payyambalam beach road.

(4) From recent updates on this thread I am presuming Srirangapatna to Elivala KRS bypass(this) is better currently relative to taking Mysore ORR. If this section still have bad patches and is subjective choice Vs ORR than please advice. Also, Virajpet have to be bypassed via Bittangala to Perumbadi(this) I presume.

(5) In a report some months back in this thread I read that Kannur to Irritty is patchy/rough, in general or in sections, specially Kannur to Mattannur. Any latest update on road conditions of this stretch? Any other bad/worse stretch to watch out for in whole bangalore - Kannur route?

(6) For pit stops between Hunsur to kannur, I presume Coorg country at Hunsur, Cuisine Papera & White Palace at Gonikoppal, and M2H Residency, Kanal Family Restaurant & Rara Avis Family restaurant at/near Iritty(observed in Gmap photos) are the options. Any observed or tried pit stop recommendation specially after Gonikoppal upto Mattanur/Chovva suitable for families would be welcome/useful, just for keeping in mind for if at all needs with kidos.

Thanks.

Last edited by Throtttle : 21st January 2017 at 15:36.
Old 22nd January 2017, 17:12   #1745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throtttle View Post
Dear fellow TBHPians,
Driving to Kannur first time, on 26th Jan long weekend. Perhaps google map shows the exact route to be taken current days for BLR to Kannur as per TBHP i.e. this, however want to be assured about some finer intermediate route points. Would be using Hunsur - Krishnarajanagara - Holenarasipur- Channarayapattana - Kunigal - Nelamangala route on the return journey. Would appreciate any sort/amount of inputs/assurance on below doubts/curiosities/concerns.

(1) Hunsur to Gonikoppal in current thread earlier(may be year back or so) used to be prescribed as Hunsur - Periyapatna - Anechoukoor Check Post(via SH21) - Gonikoppal i.e. this? Is this not the recommended way now, and is it Hunsur - Anechoukoor Check Post - Gonikoppal on SH90 i.e. this? Shorter and google map suggested is later one.

(2) Holenarasipur to Channarayapattana is recommended via shorter and google map suggested SH8 i.e. this?, or via longer SH102 + SH121 i.e. this? I read recommendation of later instead in some thread, for good road conditions.

(3) Want to confirm the route points from Mattannur to Kannur, is it Mattannur- Therur - Chalode - Koodali - Kudukkimotta - Vattapoyil - Elayavoor - Mele Chovva junction - Kannur(viaNH66) i.e. this? Is aforementioned the standard "Mattannur to Kannur" route road conditions wise? Google map also suggests as alternative tad longer Mattannur - Kanhirode - Chakkarakkal - Chovva Fish Market junction - kannur(via SH66) i.e. this. Which is the standard or better route? My destination in Kannur is at Payyambalam beach road.

(4) From recent updates on this thread I am presuming Srirangapatna to Elivala KRS bypass(this) is better currently relative to taking Mysore ORR. If this section still have bad patches and is subjective choice Vs ORR than please advice. Also, Virajpet have to be bypassed via Bittangala to Perumbadi(this) I presume.

(5) In a report some months back in this thread I read that Kannur to Irritty is patchy/rough, in general or in sections, specially Kannur to Mattannur. Any latest update on road conditions of this stretch? Any other bad/worse stretch to watch out for in whole bangalore - Kannur route?

(6) For pit stops between Hunsur to kannur, I presume Coorg country at Hunsur, Cuisine Papera & White Palace at Gonikoppal, and M2H Residency, Kanal Family Restaurant & Rara Avis Family restaurant at/near Iritty(observed in Gmap photos) are the options. Any observed or tried pit stop recommendation specially after Gonikoppal upto Mattanur/Chovva suitable for families would be welcome/useful, just for keeping in mind for if at all needs with kidos.

Thanks.
Just follow the gmap -> https://goo.gl/maps/pKRFNP626X52
No need of going via Holenarsipura route unless you wanted to try something different. If you are returning on Sunday evening, please note that Mysore - Bangalore route will be busy post 5pm. If you going with Family, pit stops can be Café County @ Hunsur, Rotana @ Hunsur, Cuisine Papera at Gonikoppal, and there are few new places opened after the Sales Tax check inside Kerala.
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 12:03   #1746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear fellow TBHPians,

I have done this stretch 3 weeks back as mentioned in post#1742. It is good if you want to try out something new. if you are for the first time, stick to Mysore road.

The periyapatna route was used when the road the latter road was under repair. Now that it is repaired and in excellent condition, you can directly go to check post.

This route is recommended only if you want to explore some new roads, otherwise the traditional Mysore road is advised.

I do not have a good idea about that area.

Yes, the KRS bypass is in very good condition, and you may take a look at the same post#1742. No need of going via ORR.

Yes, you can bypass Virajpet via that route and that is what is recommended.

Do not know about about Iritty to Kannur stretch as i take diversion from iritty towards Thaliparamba side. No other concerns in any other stretch.

Cafe county at Hunsur is a very good option. It comes on the left side before you deviate to Gonikoppal.
And as mentioned in above post, expect some good traffic if you hit Mysore-Bangalore road in the evening of a sunday. And especially it being a long weekend, it could be worse. Anticipate a driving time of 4-5 hours from Mysore to Bangalore if you drive through 5pm to 9pm.
balenoed_ is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 12:17   #1747
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
If you are returning on Sunday evening, please note that Mysore - Bangalore route will be busy post 5pm.
Quote:
And as mentioned in above post, expect some good traffic if you hit Mysore-Bangalore road in the evening of a sunday. And especially it being a long weekend, it could be worse.
Quote:
Driving to Kannur first time, on 26th Jan long weekend
IMHO driving on mysore road at the end of a long weekend is high stress. If you stay near North bangalore, then would suggest you take this route. Good 2 lane SH with lot less traffic and peaceful drive even though the distance is +40 kms, time taken will be much lesser than the normal srirangpatna - bangalore (4+ hours during long weekend)
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 22:36   #1748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Just follow the gmap -> https://goo.gl/maps/pKRFNP626X52
No need of going via Holenarsipura route unless you wanted to try something different. If you are returning on Sunday evening, please note that Mysore - Bangalore route will be busy post 5pm. If you going with Family, pit stops can be Café County @ Hunsur, Rotana @ Hunsur, Cuisine Papera at Gonikoppal, and there are few new places opened after the Sales Tax check inside Kerala.
Quote:
And as mentioned in above post, expect some good traffic if you hit Mysore-Bangalore road in the evening of a sunday. And especially it being a long weekend, it could be worse. Anticipate a driving time of 4-5 hours from Mysore to Bangalore if you drive through 5pm to 9pm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
IMHO driving on mysore road at the end of a long weekend is high stress. If you stay near North bangalore, then would suggest you take this route. Good 2 lane SH with lot less traffic and peaceful drive even though the distance is +40 kms, time taken will be much lesser than the normal srirangpatna - bangalore (4+ hours during long weekend)
Thanks a lot to all. Did this trip, sorry for late updates. The route remains good throughout, the only minor hiccup being road work at few places in & near Irrity, where the two lane road becomes single lane due to diversions due to barricaded worked-on one lane of the road.

Hunsur - Krishnarajanagara - Holenarasipur - Channarayapattana is all good roads throughout, very stress-free & joyful countryside drive really. It takes less than 2 hours to crossover from Hunsur to Chanrayapatna.

Tried lunch at Cuisine Papera, Gonikoppal, good place, good food, very much recommended.

A feedback about Kannur - WOW! what exotic beaches! Truely impacting! A great find of place for me just 6-7 hours away from Bangalore. Recommend Muzhuppilangad Drive-in beach, Meenkunnu Beach, Thottada beach and Payyabalam Beach as must see, with first two having exotic feel and later two too having distinct nice feel. Very peaceful town, clean, uncrowded, gentle people, a destination suitable to relaxing.

While one is staying in kannur town and is on excursion/sightseeing to Drive-in and other southern beaches(20 km away), that area being suburban, it is hard to find a good place for lunch. After some adhoc search on that highway I came across Surya Residency, nice A/C restaurant with good food, recommended while on sightseeing in that scarce food option area.

In Kannur town, Mascot Beach Resort has a good sea side restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating, where the breeze is lovely. Food is fine.

Stayed in Asokam Beach resort, good beach front relaxing stay option in vicinity of main town, good sea view spacious rooms, nice ambiance, and good atmosphere with music during nights.

Last edited by Throtttle : 21st February 2017 at 22:47.
Throtttle is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 22:00   #1749
BHPian

On returning from a Nagarahole visit on 18th Feb, we had taken the Virajpet-Talakaveri route for returning to Kochi. The Panathur stretch of forest road was in good condition. Road widening was going on right from the Kerala border. We then took the Malabar Hill Highway from Ranipuram via Malom, Alakode upto Naduvil. Work was going on in several places for road formation and widening like nobody else in Kerala. Though traffic is less, it is not a smooth drive now. But once the hill highway work is completed, it will be an interesting alternative.
Old 3rd May 2017, 15:44   #1750
Senior - BHPian

Road widening work going on stretch between Mattanur-Iritty, and need to be very careful if you are driving at night.
Old 8th May 2017, 16:06   #1751
BHPian

Road work is in progress from Vallithode to Thalassery as part of Thalassery Coorg Highway project. It is a major work and includes relaying road surface, building new bridges, culverts etc. and has resulted in single lane roads and no asphalted surface at a lot of stretches (especially beyond Iritty). Avoid Iritty - Thalassery stretch if alternate options are available even if it means 10+ KMs more. Lot of traffic jams during day time and risky at night.
Old 12th May 2017, 18:47   #1752
Senior - BHPian

Planning to drive to Kannur, but looks like there is a bandh tomorrow in Kannur. I think it is better to start late tomorrow and reach by evening.
Old 14th May 2017, 07:30   #1753
Senior - BHPian

We started from Ecity-Bangalore at 8.15 in the morning and reached Srirangapatna by 11.15. Spent an hour and half in Ranginathittu bird sanctury and reached Kerala boarder by 4pm and Kannur by 5.30. Bird sanctury is a very nice place if you want to spend some quality time en route. My 3.5 year old son enjoyed the park and boat ride very much.

Charges:
Entry - 60 for adults
Car parking - 30

Boating - 60 for adults and 30 for kids above 5 years.

Last edited by Latheesh : 14th May 2017 at 07:33.
Old 31st May 2017, 12:30   #1754
BHPian

Planning to drive down to Kannur this weekend . What is the best route suggested. How is the road conditions between Iritty - Mattannur and Kodalli. Is the surface good, As i would be driving a sedan and wanted to check if this route is good to go. Any feedback from folks who just travelled would be beneficial.
Old 31st May 2017, 12:35   #1755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post
Planning to drive down to Kannur this weekend . What is the best route suggested. How is the road conditions between Iritty - Mattannur and Kodalli. Is the surface good, As i would be driving a sedan and wanted to check if this route is good to go. Any feedback from folks who just travelled would be beneficial.
Iritty <> Mattanur road is undergoing major work. The progress will be slow due to various diversions and construction work going on. The recent rains would add to this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks