re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
I need some additional help with my trip

1) COCO pumps on the way - need diesel options
2) Clean Eating locations enroute
3) Places to see in Kannur
4) Must try food joints / dishes in Kannur
3) Please check whatever places Rajesh mentioned here (http://www.kannurtourism.com/) and decide, but as a BHPian never miss Muzhappilangad drive-in beach. It is about 12 KM from your resort, make sure you visit the beach early in the morning to avoid traffic and crowd.

4) Try MVK restaurant - it is an old small restaurant on crowded and narrow street and parking is an issue. But food is really good.

Last edited by Latheesh : 14th October 2015 at 11:49.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 11:28   #1622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
I need some additional help with my trip

1) COCO pumps on the way - need diesel options
2) Clean Eating locations enroute
3) Places to see in Kannur
4) Must try food joints / dishes in Kannur
5) If I have an additional day, which other place enroute is recommended to stay and visit.
Old 21st October 2015, 11:09   #1623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Friends, do any one know the latest update about the Srirangapatna - Yelivala route condition? Last time, I took this route in early Sep'15 and work was going on till you reach the place the where the road from Mysore to KRS meets. Any quick updates will be helpful, I am planning to leave to Payyanur tomorrow.
Rajesh, did you try the Srirangapatana-Yelawala route? Is the work completed?
Old 21st October 2015, 12:38   #1624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAneesh View Post
Rajesh, did you try the Srirangapatana-Yelawala route? Is the work completed?
No Aneesh, it was little late for me. It was around 9pm, and I decided to take the Mysore ORR to reach Hunsur route. May be I will try it during my return on 24th
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2015, 11:30   #1625
BHPian

Took the Yelawala (Elivala) - Srirangapatna bypass yesterday. The road is rough, but there is no big potholes. Around 90% of the road work completed between KRS Rd Jn and Mysore Rd. But still the Mysore ORR will be the best bet for those who are looking for smooth surfaces.
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 13:30   #1626
BHPian

Took the yelwala short cut while coming back to Bangalore today. Road is good to not so good... Lots of potholes but can be done at low to moderate speeds. A small portion of one side, about 50 meters, is blocked where the road meets Mysore Road, but can take the wrong side and join the Mysore Road.
Old 12th November 2015, 15:15   #1627
BHPian

I had driven to Kannur last Saturday and returned back on Tuesday. During my return journey, near Iritty, got a call from my friend (he was also returning to Bangalore but had started earlier)asking us not to pass through Coorg due to a sudden 'Bandh' declaration. He was warned at Makkotta that situation could be violent in Gonikoppal etc. So I asked him to return back to Iritty so that we can take the Kottiyoor-Mananthvady route. As some of you might know, Iritty-Kottiyoor-Boys Town-Manthavady road is quite beautiful and has a very steep/beautiful climb near Boys town. We had our break fast at Prince Residency (food was decent) which comes little after Kottiyoor. From Mananthavady, took the Kattikkulam-Bavali-HDKote-Mysore road. This road is again is in excellent condition except for the countless number of humps inside the Nagarhole forest. At Mysore, took the outer ring road to join Bangalore road. Being festival week, Mysore road was quite empty and drive was peaceful overall.
sivadas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 11:20   #1628
BHPian

Is there any info on any roads to avoid due to the recent unrest in Coorg?

I'm traveling tomorrow from kannur (Payyabalam beach) to bangalore and am planning to take the most recommended (Kannur - Mattanur - Iritty - Gonikappal - Hunsur - Mandaya - Bangalore) route

Google maps link:
https://goo.gl/maps/2M29rcp1qnC2

Are there any sections in this route that I should avoid? I don't mind traveling extra for better roads.
I was driving from wayanad to Kannur with Google and there were many places where Google was trying to get me to drive on some tiny, potholed roads in order to save a few km, where I had to choose the longer route on the map manually.
Old 13th November 2015, 14:25   #1629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Is there any info on any roads to avoid due to the recent unrest in Coorg?

I'm traveling tomorrow from kannur (Payyabalam beach) to bangalore and am planning to take the most recommended (Kannur - Mattanur - Iritty - Gonikappal - Hunsur - Mandaya - Bangalore) route

The route you mentioned is the best option. But keep an eye on the law and order situation. If you are in a situation which demands avoiding Coorg district, you can opt for
Kannur - Kuthuparamba - Kannavam - Nedumpoil - Periya peak - Boys Town - Mananthavady - Kattikkulam - Bavali - HD Kote ByePass (Heggadadevanakote) - Hampapura - Mysore Ring Road - Bangalore
Note:
1) The road through forest in Bavali - HD Kote section is shut from 6:00 PM to 6:00 AM
2) If you want to go via a much steeper ghat climb, you can take from Nedumpoil - Peravoor - Kottiyoor - Boys Town - Mananthavady
3) Don't trust just google maps in these routes, especially Mananthavady - Mysore it always try to route you through Kutta - Gonikkuppa

I am driving from Bangalore to Kannur today evening and in dilemma over the Coorg situation.
MSAneesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 11:42   #1630
BHPian

Quote:

I am driving from Bangalore to Kannur today evening and in dilemma over the Coorg situation.
Hi

Which route did you end up taking finally? Am driving from Bangalore to Kannur next week with family and wanted to check what is the most scenic route one could take. Provided surface condition is decent

thanks

Last edited by Technocrat : 15th December 2015 at 06:24. Reason: lease quote selectively as a long quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 15:27   #1631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Hi

Which route did you end up taking finally? Am driving from Bangalore to Kannur next week with family and wanted to check what is the most scenic route one could take. Provided surface condition is decent

thanks
See the options below. The choice is yours
You can even try the Kanakapura route for Bangalore - Mysore
Don't trust only google maps - especially in routes 2 and 3, it may route you the wrong way, have the key diversions written down/stored

Route 1: Mysore - Hunsur - Gonikkoppa - Bittangala - Koottupuzha - Iritty - Mattannur - Kannur
Shortest, easiest to drive, best road condition, always open (passes through forest(outer) & ghat - since you asked scenic)
https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/12...11.8744775!3e0

Route 2: Mysore – Hampapura – HD Kote – Bavali – Kattikulam - Mananthavady – Boys Town - Kottiyoor - Peravoor - Nedumpoyil – Kannavam – Koothuparamba - Kannur
Slightly longer - roads are good - Best scenic of the routes - forest section closed from 6:00 PM to 6:00 AM (passes through forest(thicker), steeper ghat, tea plantations, kottiyoor temple)
https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ka...3e36c8!1m0!3e0

Route 3: Mysore – Hampapura – HD Kote – Bavali – Kattikulam - Mananthavady – Boys Town - Periya - Nedumpoyil – Kannavam – Koothuparamba - Kannur
Slightly longer - roads are good - forest section closed from 6:00 PM to 6:00 AM (passes through forest(thicker), ghat, tea plantations)

Route 4: Mysore – Hunsur – Nagarhole – Murukal – Kutta – Tholpetty - kattikulam – Mananthavady – then route 2 or 3 as preferred

Longer - Passes right through the Nagarhole national park - roads through Nagarhole may be bad(not sure, haven't travelled in the past 3 years) - forest section closed from 6:00 PM to 6:00 AM (passes through dense forest, ghat, tea plantations)

Have you good trip! Let us know your trip experience!
MSAneesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2015, 15:22   #1632

Quote:
See the options below. The choice is yours
You can even try the Kanakapura route for Bangalore - Mysore
Don't trust only google maps - especially in routes 2 and 3, it may route you the wrong way, have the key diversions written down/stored

Route 1: Mysore - Hunsur - Gonikkoppa - Bittangala - Koottupuzha - Iritty - Mattannur - Kannur
Shortest, easiest to drive, best road condition, always open (passes through forest(outer) & ghat - since you asked scenic)
I am planning to visit Kannur from Bangalore on 15th to 17th Jan for a vacation with my wife and a 4 month old daughter in my humble Wagon R (VXI). I have below questions:
a) Is it a good idea to visit this place with a 4 month old, considering there is a ghat section. Haven't visited this place earlier hence don't have much idea about how big the ghat is and how steep.
b) Would the above quoted route suggested by MSAneesh (thank you MSAneesh) be the best option as we would be accompanied by the baby. Of course she would be comfortably seated in a baby seat.
Haven't made any bookings yet, will decide after getting valuable inputs form the forum members.

Last edited by manson : 14th December 2015 at 15:37. Reason: Fixed quote.
Old 14th December 2015, 15:52   #1633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakra View Post
I am planning to visit Kannur from Bangalore on 15th to 17th Jan for a vacation with my wife and a 4 month old daughter in my humble Wagon R (VXI). I have below questions:
Hi schakra, The route 1(via Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikkoppal-Koottupuzha) is perfectly ok and safe. The ghat section is mild and not steep at all. Roads are good as well.
With the baby, plan the 330KMs long drive with breaks in between. Café County at Hunsur and Coorg Café at Gonikkoppal would be ok places with clean toilets. Food is not that great.
The sun would be pretty hot during the day time, have some protection if you plans to spend time outdoors.
An early start would be better and there will be lesser traffic on Mysore road. Expect traffic in Kannur city.

Last edited by Technocrat : 15th December 2015 at 06:24. Reason: lease quote selectively as a long quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 14th December 2015, 16:12   #1634

Quote:
Hi schakra, The route 1(via Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikkoppal-Koottupuzha) is perfectly ok and safe. The ghat section is mild and not steep at all. Roads are good as well.
Hi MSAneesh,
Thank you so much for the quick response, your inputs are quite helpful

Old 15th December 2015, 18:36   #1635
BHPian

Quote:
Hi schakra, The route 1(via Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikkoppal-Koottupuzha) is perfectly ok and safe.
Safe only during day time. I have heard isolated incidents of some attacks in the forest road. Travelling by road at day time is perfectly safe. Do not stop at isolated places though unless you are in a group

Quote:
The ghat section is mild and not steep at all. Roads are good as well.
Agreed, but you still need to watchout for the blind turns. Honk early and enough so that you warn the drivers. Allow the folks climbing the road to have a go at the hair pin bends. Otherwise you might find yourself in tricky situations where in some of the edges of the road are too much for your Wagon R to handle and may slip into the side. Some hairpin bends have nasty potholes too - not good for a small baby.

If there is fog, then be extra careful.

Quote:
With the baby, plan the 330KMs long drive with breaks in between. Café County at Hunsur and Coorg Café at Gonikkoppal would be ok places with clean toilets. Food is not that great.
Cafe county is good, but I personally dislike their place. Expensive and not very good food. There is a "namma mane" a little ahead of Cafe County that serves excellent dosa and snacks. It falls on the left side about 3-4 buildings ahead towards hunsur town.

Quote:
An early start would be better and there will be lesser traffic on Mysore road. Expect traffic in Kannur city.
Regardless of when you start, you will find traffic unless you are starting like 4 or 5 in the morning. As soon as you hit "mele chovva" junction, expect very slow moving traffic all the way into the city (post 4 PM). It's worse than Bangalore sometimes.
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks