Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2012, 20:32   #871
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Did a round trip this week

BLR-KNR - Took Srirangapatna-Hunsur -Priyaapatna-Siddapura-Ammathi-Virajpet-Iritty-Mattanur-Kannur

KNR-BLR - Took Mattanur-Iritty-Virajpet-Gonikoppal-Hunsur-Srirangapatna route. Condition is improved a bit but Hunsur-Gonikoppal is in bad condition.

So Priyaapatna-Siddapura-Ammathi-Virajpet route is the best option now!
Old 27th March 2012, 20:57   #872
BHPian

Am planing to drive to kannur in 1st week april..
after reading through decided on below route

Mysore Road > Srirangapatna > Round about sharp turn to right > Elivala > Bilikere > Hunsur > Kampala pura > Periya patna >
(Mysore - madikeri road) Kushalnagara(follow orange county board) > Siddapura > Ammathi town > Virajpet > Koottupuzha
Bridge, Thalassery Coorg Road > Iritty -> mattanur -> Kannur

any latest updates ?
Old 27th March 2012, 23:30   #873
Senior - BHPian

^^

See my post above

Periyapatna-Siddapura road is in good condition except few potholes
Old 5th April 2012, 08:55   #874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbr1304 View Post
Mysore Road > Srirangapatna > Round about sharp turn to right > Elivala > Bilikere > Hunsur > Kampala pura > Periya patna >
(Mysore - madikeri road) Kushalnagara(follow orange county board) > Siddapura > Ammathi town > Virajpet > Koottupuzha
Bridge, Thalassery Coorg Road > Iritty -> mattanur -> Kannur
reached kannur yestedray...
stopped at the Golden Temple , kushalnagara - bylakuppe on the way.
The road conditions are good...
from bylakuppe - diversion to virajpet the roads are rough, ofcourse there no potholes..
some tar work is in progress, so it might be good in next few weeks..
Old 26th April 2012, 16:36   #875
BHPian

I'm travelling to Kannur from Bangalore this weekend. Any recent updates on the road near Gonikkoppal?
I plan to take the below route if roads near Gonikkoppal is bad.
Srirangapatna-Hunsur -Priyaapatna-Siddapura-Ammathi-Virajpet-Iritty-Mattanur-Kannur.
Is this route easy to drive in the night? We plan to start friday evening from Bangalore.
Old 26th April 2012, 21:48   #876
BHPian

I am driving to Bangalore from Payyanur on 30th Apr afternoon. I will be taking Iritty - Virajpet - Gonikoppal - Hunsur road, will post the update after this drive.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 28th April 2012, 00:32   #877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
I'm travelling to Kannur from Bangalore this weekend. Any recent updates on the road near Gonikkoppal?
I plan to take the below route if roads near Gonikkoppal is bad.
Srirangapatna-Hunsur -Priyaapatna-Siddapura-Ammathi-Virajpet-Iritty-Mattanur-Kannur.
Is this route easy to drive in the night? We plan to start friday evening from Bangalore.
I dorve down from bangalore to kannur ,last week ,did a record time of 6 hrs and 15 mins

Relatively the only streach that is bad is the Gonikkopal to Virajper but its better that the last time I took it about 6 months back,now its atleast drivable at 50 - 60 km/hr.

The roads in kerala have been recently rebuilt,so after the koothupuzha bridge the ride is awesome.

I took the Gonikkopal route to Virajpet,and did not regret taking it,this has always been the shortest way,but was avoided a long time due to the road conditions

I would say the right time to start from B'lore is around 4:30 am - 5:00 am not much traffic on the roads,I was really surprised when the clock at home (Kannur) said 11:30 am ..it was still morning

Good luck on the drive,Stay safe and keep it rolling
epvineesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2012, 19:48   #878
BHPian

The normal route I take is a bit different from what have been mentioned here. My destination: Cherupuzha (~31km from payyannur)

My normal route: Bangalore-NICE road-mysore- hunsur- periyapattana- madikeri-bhagamandala-(bhagamandala-panathoor interstate rd)- panathoor-vellarikundu-cherupuzha.

Total distance: ~370kms (from Madiwala, B'lore)

The postives: ~260 kms of superb road (B'lore to Madikeri) - Takes about 4-4.5hrs

The negatives: ~28kms on the Bhagamandala-Panathoor interstate road is via the Karike forest reserve. This road is narrow and mostly bad (though picturesque and sparse traffic). Rest of the stretch is of good to moderate quality with an occassional bad patch (not too many either, to be irritating). Takes me ~4+hrs to cover the last 120km to Cherupuzha with family.

On a side note, I make the whole journey within 7hrs on solo trips without any rash "off-roading" antics. Don't have to bother about second row passenger comfort and hence the difference.

My normal drive is a WagonR. With an Innova, the same route was a breeze even with family and took just 7hrs (discounting a good break for food etc, at Madikeri).

An interesting fact is that there is supposedly a kaccha/ unpaved road from Talakaveri to Pulingome through the reserve. This road is just 18kms long!! So if ever this road turns into a reality, then my journey reduces by ~75kms/ 2-3hrs. Alas, all efforts to turn this route into a route has met with failure so far (resistance from the Karnataka Govt. + forest dept - am told). A rubberised road on the Kerala side has been laid, along with a bridge to cross over and thats the only progress so far in the last 10 years towards this.

Last edited by vinjosep : 28th April 2012 at 19:58.
vinjosep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 07:45   #879
BHPian

Just came back from Payyanur via Iritty - Virajapet (town) - Gonikkoppal - Hunsur route. Total 342Kms. The gonikoppal route is not as bas as mentioned in many of the previous posts. Still there are potholes, and rough roads but quite manageable. It took me 50minute to reach Hunsur from Virajpet via Gonikoppal. If you are travelling in a day time, I suggest to take this route.

Looking at the current condition of the road, I think we need to find alternate roads in monsoon, and surprisingly there is no sign of road repairs..!! :(

@vinjosep, why not Cherupuzha - Therthally - Alakode - Payyavur - Ulikkal - Iritty -Virajapet (town) - Gonikkoppal - Hunsur route? I think this will save time and kms. Are the roads are not good till Iritty...??

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 1st May 2012, 07:56   #880
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Just came back from Payyanur via Iritty - Virajapet (town) - Gonikkoppal - Hunsur route. Total 342Kms. The gonikoppal route is not as bas as mentioned in many of the previous posts. Still there are potholes, and rough roads but quite manageable. It took me 50minute to reach Hunsur from Virajpet via Gonikoppal. If you are travelling in a day time, I suggest to take this route.
Just a doubt.

Do you hit Virajpet while taking the Gonikoppal route?
I thought the town is totally by-passed. Only while coming form Kushalnagar/Periyapatna - Ammathi
one should hit Virajpet. Am I missing something?
Old 1st May 2012, 09:20   #881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Just a doubt.

Do you hit Virajpet while taking the Gonikoppal route?
I thought the town is totally by-passed. Only while coming form Kushalnagar/Periyapatna - Ammathi
one should hit Virajpet. Am I missing something?
Ampere, the Virajpet byepass was in real shambles last when I travelled two months ago! So most people prefer to go to the town and then get back to Gonikoppal via cauvery college road/Bitangala, avoiding the byepass. May be this was the reason he mentioned 'Virajpet town'

Last edited by sandsun7 : 1st May 2012 at 09:23.
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 10:45   #882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Ampere, the Virajpet byepass was in real shambles last when I travelled two months ago! So most people prefer to go to the town and then get back to Gonikoppal via cauvery college road/Bitangala, avoiding the byepass. May be this was the reason he mentioned 'Virajpet town'

Yes this is correct. The direct route from Gonikoppal to Perumpadi checkpost is in ruins. Its very difficult to drive in a low GC car through this route. Going via the town will add only 4-5kms to the max.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 2nd May 2012, 10:29   #883
BHPian

Did a bangalore-kannur-madikeri-bangalore trip last weekend.
Took hunsur-Gonikkoppal-Iritty road and I have the say that the road condition from near gonikkoppal until the checkpost is BAD. Please take any alternate route if possible. Also take the mysore ring road to get to hunsur road, for the onward journey, we did a mistake of taking the first right after srirangapatna (ranganthittu road I think).

From Iritty, we went to Napoklu (had booked a homestay there). From there to Madikeri and then madikeri to bangalore. Madikeri- bangalore road is amazing and silky smooth.
Old 5th May 2012, 14:30   #884
BHPian

Guys, Iam driving from kanchipuram to windflower resorts, Coorg this week end. Which is the best route? I need the roads to be good/ scenic etc even if its a bit longer drive. and, any idea about the windflower resort? I've stayed in Orange county which was good. thanks.
Old 5th May 2012, 17:02   #885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
Also take the mysore ring road to get to hunsur road, for the onward journey, we did a mistake of taking the first right after srirangapatna (ranganthittu road I think).
Mysore ring road isn't in any great shape either. If you compare these two routes (i.e Mysore Ring road vs. Srirangapatna-Yelivala road), the one you took would probably be the better choice - you at least save some distance.

If you are very particular about good roads only and don't mind extra time / distance / traffic, the best would be to go to Mysore city and take Hunsur road from there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks