Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2012, 19:40   #931
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by su48 View Post
Hello All,

I am planning to do Bangalore - Kannur via Virajpet this Saturday. I heard that the protestors have set up roadblocks near Mandya and they are not allowing vehicles to pass through. How is the situation near Mandya now? Is it ok if I start from Bangalore early, say 4 AM? Or, is there any alternate route that I can take to reach Mysore?

Please help!

Thanks,
SU48
You can go via Kunigal-Channarayapatna-Holenarsipura-Arakalagudu-Madikeri-Gonikoppa. Longer route, but should be free of issues.
zoombiee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 19:48   #932
BHPian

Please wait till tomorrow as Supreme court is hearing the case on 12th Oct'12. Situation can be changed based on the outcome. I don't think there will be issue if you cover the stretch early morning hours, but remember to take the mysore ring road and avoid the Srirangapatna - Elwala shortcut which goes close to KRS.

If your final destination is north of kannur, you can even think of taking the Nelamangala - Hassan - Uppinangadi - Puttur - Vittal - Cherkala - and join the NH17. This is be much longer but you can avoid Cauveri affected areas..!
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 20:46   #933
BHPian

I am completly new to north Kerala, I need to go to Bekal and I could not find an active thread for Bekal hence posting here. Can you suggest the best route options, please? I came across the following options going through the thread.

1. Bangalore - Mysore - Madikeri - Baghamandala - Panathur - Kanhangad - Bekal

2. Bangalore > Srirangapatna > Round about sharp turn to right > Elivala > Bilikere > Hunsur > Kampala pura > Periya patna > (Mysore - madikeri road) Kushalnagara(follow orange county board, Take the left from circle where you see board toards DUBARE Camp (do not miss) ) > iddapura > Ammathi town > Virajpet > Koottupuzha Bridge, Thalassery Coorg Road > Iritty > Bekal.

3. Bangalore > Srirangapatna > Round about sharp turn to right > Elivala > Bilikere > Hunsur > Kampala pura > Periya patna > (Mysore - madikeri road) Kushalnagara(follow orange county board, Take the left from circle where you see board toards DUBARE Camp (do not miss) ) > iddapura > Ammathi town > Virajpet > Sulya > Bekal.

4. Bangalore - Kunigal - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Nelyady - Bekal

5. Bangalore - Srirangapatna - Round about sharp turn to right - Elivala - Bilikere - Hunsur - Kampala pura - Periya patna - (Mysore - madikeri road) Kushalnagara - Madikeri - Sulya - Bekal

Can you also suggest the safest and scenic route?

Last edited by RSimonS : 11th October 2012 at 20:49.
Old 15th October 2012, 19:04   #934
BHPian

Kindly share the latest update on the Bangalore - Mysore - Periyapatna - Gonikoppal - Virajpet - Iritty - Mattannur - Kannur route. Is this the best route at present? Please also share any to be aware of (such diversions, dangerous curves etc.) as I will be taking this route for the first time. Thanks!
Old 15th October 2012, 20:05   #935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Please also share any to be aware of (such diversions, dangerous curves etc.)
I meant - "any issues to be aware of (such as diversions, dangerous curves etc)."

Is Periyapatna - Siddapura - Virajpet better option than Periyapatna - Gonikoppal - Virajpet?
Old 15th October 2012, 20:14   #936
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41

I meant - "any issues to be aware of (such as diversions, dangerous curves etc)."

Is Periyapatna - Siddapura - Virajpet better option than Periyapatna - Gonikoppal - Virajpet?
Both equally potholed so little to choose really...
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 22:07   #937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimonS View Post
I am completly new to north Kerala, I need to go to Bekal and I could not find an active thread for Bekal hence posting here. Can you suggest the best route options, please? I came across the following options going through the thread.

1. Bangalore - Mysore - Madikeri - Baghamandala - Panathur - Kanhangad - Bekal

Can you also suggest the safest and scenic route?
I'd recommend this route - May be you could choose to bypass Mysore and go from Srirangapatna to Yeliwala, but please check on the Cauvery situation before you do this (that road passes close to KRS).

You have about 25 kms of not too great roads between Bhagamandala and Panathur when you take this route, but it is more than compensated by the very scenic nature of that drive - the road passes through very dense forest, has very little traffic and I'd rate it as probably one of the the most scenic options of crossing the Western Ghats between Karnataka and Kerala.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 22:39   #938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I'd recommend this route - May be you could choose to bypass Mysore and go from Srirangapatna to Yeliwala,.......
Thanks a lot Kala, this is really helpful. Yeah I am also little worried about the situation around Mandya, hope the trouble will subside soon
Old 16th October 2012, 13:08   #939
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to do Kannur next week and I will be taking following route:

BLR-COLOMBIA ASIA(MYSORE)-RING ROAD-MADIKERI ROAD-PERIYAPATNA-SIDDAPURA-VIRAJPET-KOOTUPUZHA-IRITTY-MATTANUR-KANNUR
Old 18th October 2012, 13:46   #940
BHPian

last weekend went to kannur and back.

i took the gonikoppa route. the route is bad. if you drive carefully to avoid potholes,its manageable.you save time and fuel on this route.if you are travelling during the day and if its not raining, this route is ok.

siddapur route is marginally better.

roads in kerala are in very good condition. makutta ghat roads have damage at few places.
ad75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 15:03   #941
HKP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I am planning to do Kannur next week and I will be taking following route:

BLR-COLOMBIA ASIA(MYSORE)-RING ROAD-MADIKERI ROAD-PERIYAPATNA-SIDDAPURA-VIRAJPET-KOOTUPUZHA-IRITTY-MATTANUR-KANNUR
Latheesh, once you are back let us know about the road condition. Planning to try this way instead of the gonikoppal route based on your experience.

\\\hkp
Old 23rd October 2012, 20:12   #942
BHPian

Planning go to kannur this Friday. I am thinking of taking Bangalore-Hunsur-Nagarhole-Kutta-Kattikkulam-Mananthavadi-Kannur route. Return has to be via Periayapatana as I can start only in the afternoon. Will give an update after reaching back.
Old 23rd October 2012, 20:42   #943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
Planning go to kannur this Friday. I am thinking of taking Bangalore-Hunsur-Nagarhole-Kutta-Kattikkulam-Mananthavadi-Kannur route. Return has to be via Periayapatana as I can start only in the afternoon. Will give an update after reaching back.
The Kutta route is better than the gonicoppa route purely because the periyapatna Virajpet road is in such atrocious condition. On your way back definitely do anechowkur periyapatna rather than anechowkur Hunsur, though be warned, the road is in horrible condition.
Old 25th October 2012, 00:24   #944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
The Kutta route is better than the gonicoppa route purely because the periyapatna Virajpet road is in such atrocious condition. On your way back definitely do anechowkur periyapatna rather than anechowkur Hunsur, though be warned, the road is in horrible condition.
Thanks pganapathy. Hope you agree that Periyapatana - Virajpet route is still better than the Gonikoppal route. And I didnt get the Anechokur part. Is this place coming in between Siddapura and Periyapatana. I was thinking of taking Virajpet-Siddapura-Periyapatana-Hunsur route. Is that what you were suggesting as well?
Old 25th October 2012, 04:08   #945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
Thanks pganapathy. Hope you agree that Periyapatana - Virajpet route is still better than the Gonikoppal route. And I didnt get the Anechokur part. Is this place coming in between Siddapura and Periyapatana. I was thinking of taking Virajpet-Siddapura-Periyapatana-Hunsur route. Is that what you were suggesting as well?
From periyapatna there are two ways to Virajpet.

Anechowkur - tithimathi - Gonikoppal - Virajpet
Siddapur - Ammathi - Virajpet

From Hunsur you can also go to gonicoppa via pancholi - anechowkur - tithimathi - gonicoppa - Virajpet. This is the worst option as you have the most bad road to drive on.

Of the two options via periyapatna there is not too much difference though at the moment the Siddapur option is definitely better.

Anechowkur is that forest gate entry point into Coorg district. So called because there is an elephant camp there.

Actually I totally forgot. Coming back, the best option would be Kutta - gonicoppa (that road really improved now) and then there are two options.

The shorter is tithimathi - anechowkur - periyapatna, though the 10 to 12 km from anechowkur to periyapatna really is bad. Drive slowly though and once you hit periyapatna it is highway all the way.

The longer is Ammathi - Siddapur - maldare - periyapatna and this road is not really worth the extra distance though it is better, but not pothole free.

Last edited by pganapathy : 25th October 2012 at 04:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks