Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2012, 14:40   #946
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Lot of good information. Since I would be starting late from Kannur, I might not prefer experimenting too much. Will try to stick to a more known route. Hence would prefer Virajpet-Ammathi-Siddapur-Periyapatana route. Let me see, Thanks again.
Old 26th October 2012, 11:38   #947
BHPian

Just came back from a trip to Kannur.

Onward route -
Bangalore - Mysore - Hunsur - Gonikoppa - Virajpet - Iritty - Mattanur - Kannur
Hunsur to Karnataka/Kerala border is pathetic. Road is full of potholes. It took us about 7 hours to get from Hunsur to Kannur. Roads in Kerala are much better on this route.

Return route -
Kannur - Thalaserry - Nadapuram - Kutiyad - Korome - Velamunda - Sulthan Bathery - Gundlupet - Mysore - Bangalore
Kannur to Thalaserry to Nadapuram road condition is very good. Nadapuram - Kutiyad is very bad. The ghat section from Kutiyad to Korome is excellent. Then road to Velamunda quite bad. It has lot of potholes and is uneven. From Velamunda to Sultan Bathery road is very good. Sultan Bathery to Karnataka border at Muthunga is quite bad considering its a NH. The road in Karnataka side is much better (seemed freshly laid). But true to our tradition in Karnataka, there is a road hump every half a km. After about 10 kms it seems to slow down vehicles the road builders have cut the road. After that road to Bangalore seems like a soft cushion.

We took same time for both journeys which was around 10 hours. The onward journey was 320 odd kms as per gps and return was 400 as per gps. Another route which one can try is Kannur - Calicut - S Bathery - Bangalore. This is the longest route but road conditions should be better since its completely on NH and the Bangalore-Mysore SH. Again this could be wrong.

Last edited by zoombiee : 26th October 2012 at 11:41.
zoombiee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 11:40   #948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
Lot of good information. Since I would be starting late from Kannur, I might not prefer experimenting too much. Will try to stick to a more known route. Hence would prefer Virajpet-Ammathi-Siddapur-Periyapatana route. Let me see, Thanks again.
Please do not leave late from Kannur. Leave as early as possible. There are lot of railway crossings and you may be delayed more than expected. Also, road conditions are bad. If its late and your car has problems you could get stuck.
Old 26th October 2012, 12:56   #949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
Please do not leave late from Kannur. Leave as early as possible. There are lot of railway crossings and you may be delayed more than expected. Also, road conditions are bad. If its late and your car has problems you could get stuck.
Railway crossings...!!! between Kannur - Bangalore...?? Are you referring to some other road? I hope there is only one crossing, that is in the Srirangapatna bypass just before joining the Mysore - Bangalore road
Old 26th October 2012, 13:03   #950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Railway crossings...!!! between Kannur - Bangalore...?? Are you referring to some other road? I hope there is only one crossing, that is in the Srirangapatna bypass just before joining the Mysore - Bangalore road
Kannur to Thalaserry there are atleast 2 of them. Thalaserry to Wayanad there are another 2 of them.
Old 26th October 2012, 13:39   #951
BHPian

Quote:
Kannur to Thalaserry there are atleast 2 of them. Thalaserry to Wayanad there are another 2 of them.
You could have bypassed the 'Thazhe chovva' and 'Edakkadu' gates by going via Chala. To reach Sulthan Bathery, easy route will be Kannur - Koothuparamba - Manathawadi - Panamaram - Beenachi - Sulthan Batheri. Beyond Sulthan batheri, between Muthanga and Gundalpet forest check post is closed between 9pm to 6am (don't know the current timings).
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 13:49   #952
BHPian

Quote:
You could have bypassed the 'Thazhe chovva' and 'Edakkadu' gates by going via Chala. To reach Sulthan Bathery, easy route will be Kannur - Koothuparamba - Manathawadi - Panamaram - Beenachi - Sulthan Batheri. Beyond Sulthan batheri, between Muthanga and Gundalpet forest check post is closed between 9pm to 6am (don't know the current timings).
I was made aware of the Koothuparamba route, but no one could assure me of the road condition. Hence took the other route. I was even ready to go via Calicut (anything to avoid the kind of bad roads we faced in onward journey). Car break down in middle of nowhere with a 2 year old kid would be tough.
First part, unless you know that area well, its difficult to find. I just followed the NH.

Thanks for the advice . I will keep in mind when I visit Kannur next.
Old 26th October 2012, 14:05   #953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To reach Sulthan Bathery, easy route will be Kannur - Koothuparamba - Manathawadi - Panamaram - Beenachi - Sulthan Batheri. Beyond Sulthan batheri, between Muthanga and Gundalpet forest check post is closed between 9pm to 6am (don't know the current timings).
Going via Wayanad to Bangalore, this would be the best option currently. Or even Kannur-Mananthavady-Kattikulam-Tholpetty-Kutta-Hunsur-Mysore route, but night time restriction from 2100 to 0900
Roads from Kannur to Nidumpoil via Kuthuparamba is in good condition. RajeshK, any idea how are the roads from Nidumpoil to Mananthavady? Especially perya ghat?
And yes, timings are right. Forest gates closed from 2100 to 0600 on SBY-Gundlupet road

Last edited by sandsun7 : 26th October 2012 at 14:08.
Old 27th October 2012, 12:54   #954
BHPian

Did BLR-Kannur 3 times last week tried all options and HUNSUR-PERIYAPATNA-SIDDAPURA-AMMATHI-VIRAJPET-KOOTUPUZHA-IRITTY is marginally better. others are in very bad state.
Old 29th October 2012, 10:36   #955
BHPian

Hello all, just came back from Kannur..
As mentioned earlier, took the Hunsur-Nagarhole-Kutta-Kattikkulam-Mananthavady route while going. Except for few bad stretches here and there, roads are reasonably good (Srirangapatana-Yelawal part is deteriorating fast).
While returning, wanted to use the same road. Hence did my best to start early (after attending a marriage), eventually started by 1pm. This was more than sufficient! Even after taking a break at Mananthawady, comfortably crossed Nagarhole and reached Hunsur well before 6pm. I could see wild elephants during both the trips. It was little scary too see a a big tusker almost on the road during my return trip. Also had a glimpse (through thick bushes) of few wild buffaloes. And as usual saw plenty of deers!!

As expected, Mysore-Bangalore road was totally crazy with thousands of people (returning after Pooja/Dussera vacation) wrestling each other for every inch of space.

Bottom line is, 'at this moment Nagarhole route is the best we have' to go to Kannur!!!
Old 29th October 2012, 11:37   #956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
As mentioned earlier, took the Hunsur-Nagarhole-Kutta-Kattikkulam-Mananthavady route while going. Except for few bad stretches here and there, roads are reasonably good (Srirangapatana-Yelawal part is deteriorating fast).
Bottom line is, 'at this moment Nagarhole route is the best we have' to go to Kannur!!!
How did you reach Kannur from Mananthavady. Was it viz Kuthuparumba? If so how was that road condition. Also good to hear the Nagarhole road is in good condition. Thats usually the road in the most pathetic condition.
Old 29th October 2012, 15:28   #957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston.Martin View Post
Did BLR-Kannur 3 times last week tried all options and HUNSUR-PERIYAPATNA-SIDDAPURA-AMMATHI-VIRAJPET-KOOTUPUZHA-IRITTY is marginally better. others are in very bad state.
Yes, this route is marginally better than other options.
Old 29th October 2012, 17:06   #958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Or even Kannur-Mananthavady-Kattikulam-Tholpetty-Kutta-Hunsur-Mysore route, but night time restriction from 2100 to 0900
I think the allowed timings for the Nagarahole WLS road between Hunsur and Kutta is 0600 to 1800 hrs and not 2100 hrs. (Unless they relaxed it in the last 8 or 10 months, which seems quite unlikely).

On the other hand, the forest checkposts on the Gundlupet-Muthanga and Gundlupet-Gudalur stretches do remain open upto 2100 hrs.
Old 29th October 2012, 18:07   #959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I think the allowed timings for the Nagarahole WLS road between Hunsur and Kutta is 0600 to 1800 hrs and not 2100 hrs.
Oops, yes, mistake! that route is restricted from 6PM to 6 AM, i e 1800 to 0600. Thanks for correcting!
Old 29th October 2012, 20:15   #960
BHPian

Quote:
How did you reach Kannur from Mananthavady. Was it viz Kuthuparumba? If so how was that road condition. Also good to hear the Nagarhole road is in good condition. Thats usually the road in the most pathetic condition.
Yes, I travelled by Kuthupramba route only. Within Kerala, roads are in very good condition.
But dont expect Nagarhole route to be super smooth It is decent for a forest route.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks