Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2012, 19:16   #886
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post

@vinjosep, why not Cherupuzha - Therthally - Alakode - Payyavur - Ulikkal - Iritty -Virajapet (town) - Gonikkoppal - Hunsur route? I think this will save time and kms. Are the roads are not good till Iritty...??
Its a viable alternative. But again there are some pretty bad stretches till you get on the madikeri-mysore road. Also the twists and turns on the iritty-virajpet stretch (especially the forsest part) doesnt agree much with the family if one is going at moderate speeds. The traffic is also comparatively very less for the route I take.
Old 24th May 2012, 11:00   #887
Senior - BHPian

Did Bangalore-Kannur last sunday. Took the following route: Yelahanka-Anandarao circle-Mysore road-Srirangapatna-Bilikere-Hunsur byepass-Peryapatna-Siddapura-Ammathi-Virajpet-Perumpadi-Koottupuzha-Iritty-Mattanur-Kannur.
Road condition was good except for around 15-20kms after peryapatna on siddapura road. This road is full of potholes, humps and is very narrow at some places even single laned! Below are a couple of pics of the bad stretch:
Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-1.jpg
Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-2.jpg

The perumpadi-makutta Ghat section is still in very good condition
Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-3.jpg
Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-4.jpg
Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-5.jpg
Old 27th May 2012, 09:21   #888
BHPian

Karnataka to develop Hunsur-Kutta road

Good news for us -> Karnataka to develop Hunsur-Kutta road

This came today's Mathrubhumi (Bangalore Edition) also. So once this is ready, our travel time to Kannur will reduce considerably as we get good stretch till Gonikkoppal.

Thanks
Rajesh
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2012, 00:40   #889
BHPian

Drove to Payyanur from Bangalore last weekend. Took the Gonikoppal route Blr to Pay and the Madikeri-Kushalnagar route way back.As said by others the Gonikoppal route is in ruins and will cause considerable stress to both driver and car(drove the XUV500).To make matters worse when passing through Gonikoppal town we were caught in a small jam of sorts holding us up for about 15-20 minutes.But this pales in comparison to the number of 'hold ups' due the number of potholes on this stretch.Took a full 9 hours including a 45 minute break to cover 346 Kms.The Madikeri Kushalnagara stretch wasn't all that better with really bad stretches after crossing the Kerala border and up untill Kushalnagara.Furthermore, on the way to Madikeri, you pass through densely forested ghats and extremely narrow stretches winding through thick foliage.There were some stretches were we didn't see a soul or other vehicles for around 8-10 Kms, even when driving through at around noon. So obviously wasn't a much traversed route.And the foliage is such that you'll not have sunlight at some pockets making you wonder if its daytime.Took 9.5 hours to reach Bangalore, a distance of 400 Kms through this route.So not sure which of the routes is better, the Gonikoppal route though rough seemed safer and was indeed shorter while the Madikeri route was longer, relatively less rough and one of adventure and suspense, not knowing what the next turn will bring to you! Having done Delhi-Mumbai-Bangalore and Bangalore-Coimbatore-Palakkad, I had begun to take great roads for granted, so this stretch was quite a trip back to the real world!
Old 10th June 2012, 10:20   #890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot77in View Post
Drove to Payyanur from Bangalore last weekend. Took the Gonikoppal route Blr to Pay and the Madikeri-Kushalnagar route way back.
Which route did you take on the return journey? Payyannur-Kannur/Taliparamba-iritty-virajpet-Madikeri-Kushalnagar-Hunsur or Payyannur-kanjhangad-Panathur-Madikeri-Kushalnagar-Hunsur?

In fact if you look to byepass the Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Virajpet stretch, next time I suggest you go via hunsur-Peryapatna-Siddapur-Ammathi-Virajpet. Distance would be around 15km extra, but roads are far better. There is a stretch from Peryapatna, around 15km odd where you might find lot of potholes, but other than that, route is pretty good, at least in comparison with the gonikoppal stretch.
Old 10th June 2012, 13:04   #891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Which route did you take on the return journey? Payyannur-Kannur/Taliparamba-iritty-virajpet-Madikeri-Kushalnagar-Hunsur or Payyannur-kanjhangad-Panathur-Madikeri-Kushalnagar-Hunsur?
Took the Panathur-Madikeri stretch on the way back.
Old 10th June 2012, 23:06   #892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Took the Panathur-Madikeri stretch on the way back.
How was Panathur route?
Old 10th June 2012, 23:30   #893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Furthermore, on the way to Madikeri, you pass through densely forested ghats and extremely narrow stretches winding through thick foliage.There were some stretches were we didn't see a soul or other vehicles for around 8-10 Kms, even when driving through at around noon. So obviously wasn't a much traversed route.And the foliage is such that you'll not have sunlight at some pockets making you wonder if its daytime.
The only time I drove through that route (Madikeri-Bhagamandala-Panathur) last August I just loved the drive !! Roads were rough and narrow, but the thick forest was a real treat. Should drive through that route during monsoon, you'll be greeted with thousands of waterfalls all around you, the scenery is simply out of this world !
Old 11th June 2012, 07:20   #894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
The only time I drove through that route (Madikeri-Bhagamandala-Panathur) last August I just loved the drive !! Roads were rough and narrow, but the thick forest was a real treat. Should drive through that route during monsoon, you'll be greeted with thousands of waterfalls all around you, the scenery is simply out of this world !
Yes, during monsoon its a real treat to eyes, but some times falling trees on the road make your drive memorable for ever...!!!

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 11th June 2012, 13:27   #895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
How was Panathur route?

Not sure the exact length of it, but from Payannur to Panathur the initial few KMs are excellent - looked liked newly built roads. However, as you approach Panathur and cross it for Bhagamandala towards Madikeri, the stretch gets rough, very narrow and dicey.I wouldn't take this stretch during Monsoons. I was praying all through that it doesn't rain - there were quite a few trees swooping down towards the narrow road and the possibility of getting stuck is high, that is if you are lucky enough for a tree not to fall on you.Furthermore, the route hardly had any traffic -so the wilderness and the thickly forested area may be stressful and a bit unsafe, if no additional hands to help if in trouble.The Gonikoppal route had relatively more potholes and for a longer stretch - but none of them big enough to devour a car.So if one drives slow, it might still be safer during monsoons.
Old 25th June 2012, 16:42   #896
Senior - BHPian

Planning to visit Kannur this weekend. Any update on Hunsur-Gonikoppa road condition? or is it better to take Siddapura route?
Old 2nd July 2012, 14:02   #897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Planning to visit Kannur this weekend. Any update on Hunsur-Gonikoppa road condition? or is it better to take Siddapura route?
Latheesh, hope you were able to make it. Any update on the road condition??
Any effect of monsoon so far..?

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 5th July 2012, 15:17   #898
Senior - BHPian

I took Siddapura route and it is good. Monsoon did not do any major damage
Old 10th July 2012, 17:23   #899
BHPian

[quote=kala;2692284]Yes, the road from Kabini to Mananthavady via Bavali is very much open. And it was in pretty good shape except for the initial 4-5 kms from Karapur when I travelled last a few months ago.

Kala, can you please confirm the condition of the road starting from Mysore to Manathavady, via Kabini (SH 33) ? I think this could be a viable alternative to the Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Sultan Battery route, since traffic in this sector is pretty heavy sometimes.
I am planning to go to Calicut next week, and thought of taking this route, if the road is good.
Old 10th July 2012, 23:32   #900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
Kala, can you please confirm the condition of the road starting from Mysore to Manathavady, via Kabini (SH 33) ? I think this could be a viable alternative to the Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Sultan Battery route, since traffic in this sector is pretty heavy sometimes.
I am planning to go to Calicut next week, and thought of taking this route, if the road is good.
About 15 kms of this road is pretty bad shape, starting from the Nagarahole WLS entrance where the straight road through the forest is closed for public traffic and so you have to take a detour that goes through some 5-6 villages. Once you pass this 15 kms and land back on the SH33, the road is again pretty good except for periodic speedbreakers (which are at least well marked, so less of a menace). That 15 kms would take you 45 minutes at the very least.

This was the condition of the road about a year+ back when I travelled that way last. Could have become worse or better, haven't heard any feedback recently.

If you're travelling to Calicut, you will not gain any time going this way. The Gundlupet-Batheri route is much better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks