Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2017, 13:17   #1756
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post
Planning to drive down to Kannur this weekend . What is the best route suggested. How is the road conditions between Iritty - Mattannur and Kodalli.
Mattanur-Koodali stretch is excellent.
Old 1st June 2017, 16:15   #1757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post
Planning to drive down to Kannur this weekend . What is the best route suggested. How is the road conditions between Iritty - Mattannur and Kodalli. Is the surface good, As i would be driving a sedan and wanted to check if this route is good to go. Any feedback from folks who just travelled would be beneficial.
Road work is going on beyond Vallithode. Till Iritty it would be manageable. Iritty - Mattannur stretch was pretty bad when I drove 2 weeks back. I would assume it is not improved, rather deteriorated due to the rains. It would even be better to take Iritty - Kakkayangad - Thillankery - Sivapuram - Mattannur - Koodalli. This will be approximately 10KMs extra between Iritty & Mattannur

For this you have to take left after Iritty town, just next to the HP fuel station on to Peravoor road. Take right at Kakkayangad junction on to Thillankery Uruvachal road. From Sivapuram, take Sivapuram Mattannur road. The idea is to avoid the main highway.
On this route, roads till Sivapuram is good. Not driven on Sivapuram-Mattannur stretch recently. So, not sure.

Another option would be Iritty-Irikkur-Nayattupara-Valiyannur. Not aware of road conditions though.
Old 9th June 2017, 17:23   #1758
Senior - BHPian

How about Iritty-Irikkur-Chalode-Kannur route? Is there any other better option instead of Iritty-Mattanur-Kannur route?
Old 9th June 2017, 19:40   #1759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAneesh View Post

Another option would be Iritty-Irikkur-Nayattupara-Valiyannur. Not aware of road conditions though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
How about Iritty-Irikkur-Chalode-Kannur route? Is there any other better option instead of Iritty-Mattanur-Kannur route?
Currently, the Iritty Bridge- Irikkur-Nayattupara-Chalode road is the best option.
I did try another route from Irikkur: Irikkur-Pavannurkadavu-Mayyil-Kannur. The stretch from Irirkkur to Pavannurmotta turned out to be very bad, rest of the stretch is superb. To avoid this bad stretch, there is another short cut to Mayyil after you proceed upto Nayattupara: Nayattupara-Chola-Varachal-Mayyil. If you have a programmable GPS device, then would be fine to try this route. Roads are pretty ok.

Map link here:https://goo.gl/4pZVKb
This would be a good option for people residing north of Kannur as you bypass Kannur town also.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 11:32   #1760
Senior - BHPian

VIRAJPET - KANNUR ghat section closed due to landslide. It may take days to get it repaired it looks like.

Near Perumbadi check post lake.

http://www.manoramaonline.com/news/l...uram-road.html
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 11:50   #1761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
VIRAJPET - KANNUR ghat section closed due to landslide. It may take days to get it repaired it looks like.

Near Perumbadi check post lake.

http://www.manoramaonline.com/news/l...uram-road.html
Some photos I received:

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-img_2750.jpg

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-img_2751.jpg

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-img_2752.jpg

Looks like its near the lake close to the checkpost.
sanjaykk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 12:31   #1762
Senior - BHPian

What are the alternate route options that we can think of?

Via Mananthavady? Any one know about this route?
Old 20th July 2017, 13:19   #1763
BHPian

This Saturday we are planning for a trip to Payyanur (Avisa Beach House) Any good alternate routes? Highly appreciate a quick repsonse
sbalagru6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 14:06   #1764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbalagru6 View Post
This Saturday we are planning for a trip to Payyanur (Avisa Beach House) Any good alternate routes? Highly appreciate a quick repsonse
If to Payyanur, You can go via this route. I regularly take this route to Kanhangad (a place 30kms before Payyanur)

https://goo.gl/maps/vYrc2ASu5xr

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-map1.jpg

This route is safe anytime of the day and good roads.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 14:38   #1765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Refer to the below link with regard to my Kanhangad trip in the last week of May 2017 for details on the route for onward and return journey

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...kanhangad.html
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 15:02   #1766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Refer to the below link with regard to my Kanhangad trip in the last week of May 2017 for details on the route for onward and return journey

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...kanhangad.html
The onward route that you took is closed at the moment and that is what today's topic is about.

The return route that you took is another good option, but after recent rains, the Bhagamandala - Madikeri stretch must have gone terribly bad and it is reported to be experiencing heavy rainfall now and could be a risk.

By the way, glad to read your travelogue to Kanhangad, being myself a native of that place.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 15:06   #1767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The onward route that you took is closed at the moment and that is what today's topic is about.

The return route that you took is another good option, but after recent rains, the Bhagamandala - Madikeri stretch must have gone terribly bad and it is reported to be experiencing heavy rainfall now and could be a risk.

By the way, glad to read your travelogue to Kanhangad, being myself a native of that place.
For the onward journey, i went via Hunsur, Gonikoppal, Makuta, Irikkur, Srikandapuram and Taliparambha. Are you saying the route I took is closed due to landslide ?
Old 20th July 2017, 15:15   #1768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
For the onward journey, i went via Hunsur, Gonikoppal, Makuta, Irikkur, Srikandapuram and Taliparambha. Are you saying the route I took is closed due to landslide ?
Yes, The pictures in one of the post above is about the incident that happened in between perumabdi check post and makkutta in the route << Gonikoppal - Virajpet - Perumbadi Check post - Makkuta Check post >> that you took.

If you remember or noticed a lake on the right hand side just about when the ghat starts after Perumbadi check post, it is it.
Old 20th July 2017, 16:24   #1769
BHPian

Quote:
What are the alternate route options that we can think of?

Via Mananthavady? Any one know about this route?
Allternate route is via mananthavady-Boys town-periya-nidumpoil-kuthuparamba . From mananthavady till the ghat section ,OK ish road with potholes here and there. near to Ghat section few kms is broken. After that good roads all the way till kuthuparamba.
Old 20th July 2017, 17:17   #1770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For a day journey:
Bangalore-Mysore-HD Kote- Bavali-kattikulam-Mananthavady-perya ghats-Kuthuparamba-Kannur-Taliparamba-Payyannur
The forest section between HD kote and Bavali is closed for traffic from 6 PM to 6 AM.

For night journey:
Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Kutta-Kattikulam-Mananthavady-Periya ghats-Kuthuparamba-Kannur-Taliparamba-Payyannur.

There is another route from Mananthavady to Payyanur, via Boys town-palchuram-Kottiyoor-Peravoor-Iritty-irikkur-Sreekandapuram-Taliparamba but I am not sure how comfortable would a new comer on that route would be. Also, the boys town ghat (palchuram) is very steep.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks