Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2018, 21:36   #1861
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

I am planning a drive from Bangalore to Kannur, during the end of April, i would appreciate if someone can confirm if it is safe to travel with family on the stretch mentioned where robbery happened some time back? is the road condition also improved on the same stretch?
Old 1st April 2018, 08:30   #1862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav.info111 View Post
I am planning a drive from Bangalore to Kannur, during the end of April, i would appreciate if someone can confirm if it is safe to travel with family on the stretch mentioned where robbery happened some time back? is the road condition also improved on the same stretch?
What time you plan do drive between hunsur and KL border?? Better avoid 12 AM to 6AM

There are so many vehicles crossing this route without incidents as well. So situation may not be as bad as some news papers portrait.

But better to be on safer side. Do not stop in between when something unusual happens, do not keep/carry expensive stuff (jewellery, electronics etc) , xarry just enough cash, drive along another car/tempo etc etc.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 10:08   #1863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To be on safer side and to have a peace of mind, avoid starting from Bangalore between 9pm to 11:59pm (else, you will be passing through those incident prone areas between 1am to 4am). It is just a precaution, nothing to panic. Road conditions are good up to Kerala border. Beyond that, for about 15kms, large scale road construction is going on, so have to drive slow.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 2nd April 2018 at 10:09.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 12:03   #1864
Senior - BHPian

slightly off topic-
Does anyone know how much is the entry tax for KL taxis from Kannur to Bangalore. Both 5 seater and 7 seater.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 2nd April 2018 at 12:33.
Old 9th April 2018, 09:43   #1865
Senior - BHPian

Drove from Bangalore to Kannur on 5th. Started from Ecity @5.15 AM and reached @12 noon.

Small bridge just before Thithimati is demolished for making new one, and you need to take a small deviation.
Old 9th April 2018, 10:08   #1866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Drove from Bangalore to Kannur on 5th. Started from Ecity @5.15 AM and reached @12 noon.

Small bridge just before Thithimati is demolished for making new one, and you need to take a small deviation.
Thanks for the update. Is the deviation through a different road or just beside the demolished bridge? Planning to drive on 14th early morning.
Old 9th April 2018, 10:25   #1867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajishanand View Post
Thanks for the update. Is the deviation through a different road or just beside the demolished bridge? Planning to drive on 14th early morning.
The deviation is just besides the old bridge. Nothing to be worried about. Traffic was being allowed on the old bridge when I crossed it last week.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 09:43   #1868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
What time you plan do drive between hunsur and KL border?? Better avoid 12 AM to 6AM

There are so many vehicles crossing this route without incidents as well. So situation may not be as bad as some news papers portrait.

But better to be on safer side. Do not stop in between when something unusual happens, do not keep/carry expensive stuff (jewellery, electronics etc) , xarry just enough cash, drive along another car/tempo etc etc.
Thanks for the reply arjithin...I would be driving with my family from Electronic city ..and it would be early morning around 5 AM.
Old 19th April 2018, 09:47   #1869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
To be on safer side and to have a peace of mind, avoid starting from Bangalore between 9pm to 11:59pm (else, you will be passing through those incident prone areas between 1am to 4am). It is just a precaution, nothing to panic. Road conditions are good up to Kerala border. Beyond that, for about 15kms, large scale road construction is going on, so have to drive slow.
Thanks for your response Balenoed (sorry I don't know your name). I would really appreciate if you could tell me which road should I take from Silk board (Bangalore) to Kannur. Since you mentioned about the road construction, if you could provide some details about the route which would be best that would be really helpful for me.
Old 19th April 2018, 10:14   #1870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would really appreciate if you could tell me which road should I take from Silk board (Bangalore) to Kannur. Since you mentioned about the road construction, if you could provide some details about the route which would be best that would be really helpful for me.
I guess your another post mentioned you are starting from E.City, so I am providing you the map from E.City.

E.City - NICE Road - Mysore road - Srirangapatana - (Divert to right after Srirangapatna to bypass Mysore city) - Yelwala - Hunsur - (divert to left after Hunsur towards Virajpet) - Gonikoppal - Virajpet (deviate to left just before Virajpet to bypass the city) - Ghat Road - Koottupuzha Bridge (border) - Iritty - Mattanur - Kannur

The stretch between Kootupuzha bridge and Mattanur is where the road construction is going on and have to go slow.

https://goo.gl/maps/X1mWvKvZaLp

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-blr.jpg

Last edited by balenoed_ : 19th April 2018 at 10:34.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 10:16   #1871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your response Balenoed (sorry I don't know your name). I would really appreciate if you could tell me which road should I take from Silk board (Bangalore) to Kannur. Since you mentioned about the road construction, if you could provide some details about the route which would be best that would be really helpful for me.
- From Electronic City>NICE road>Mysore road exit
- Take right turn at Srirangapatna (Check for Thank you for Visiting Srirangapatna board and right turn comes immediately after this board. There is a bird sculpture at this turn) Drive straight till Yelwala.
- Take right turn at Yelwala to Join Mysore-Madikeri road (Drive around 35KM)
- Take left turn towards Gonikoppal
- Drive thru Gonikoppal towards Virajpet
- Just few km (5?) before Virajpet take deviation at Bittangala towards Perumbadi check post (There is a blinking traffic light here at this turn. Right goes towards Virajpet, straight towards Perumbadi)
- Ghat section starts from Perumbadi and takes around 25-30 min to cover
- Cross Kuttupuzha bridge and take left after crossing bridge toward Iritty
- This is where road construction starts - some sections are complete and some are under construction (drive ~ 9KM)
- Iritty bridge (you need to cross the bridge) - drive towards Mattanur - Some section is complete and road is excellent and some are under construction (~ 15 KM)
- At Mattanur take a right deviation towards Kannur (drive around 24 KM straight)
- Take right turn at Mele Chovva (Big water tank is the land mark here) and drive towards Kannur (~ 4 KM)

Last edited by Latheesh : 19th April 2018 at 10:27.
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 15:12   #1872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply arjithin...I would be driving with my family from Electronic city ..and it would be early morning around 5 AM.
Nothing to worry if you are starting after 5AM. So you Will reach Mysore around 730-8AM. You can choose the right at srirangapatanam (smaller roads, jumps, and less distance) or via Mysore ORR (wider road but more distance). Better to have your breakfast before you leave Mysore
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 16:53   #1873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
You can choose the right at srirangapatanam (smaller roads, jumps, and less distance) Better to have your breakfast before you leave Mysore
This road is in good shape now, no need to take ring road. For breakfast, Cafe County@Hunsur is a decent option and can easily reach there by 8.15-8.30 AM. There are few more options in the same area.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2018, 13:03   #1874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
- From Electronic City>NICE road>Mysore road exit
- Take right turn at Srirangapatna (Check for Thank you for Visiting Srirangapatna board and right turn comes immediately after this board. There is a bird sculpture at this turn) - Take right turn at Mele Chovva (Big water tank is the land mark here) and drive towards Kannur (~ 4 KM)
Thanks to Lateesh/Arjithin/Balenoed- for providing the detailed directions, with landmarks, and Map and also detailed road conditions. I am glad you all gave the reply before my journey start date.I will take a print of the above suggestions and use it in addition to google maps. You guys are so knowledgeable and helpful. Thanks again.
Old 15th May 2018, 11:30   #1875
BHPian

Just back from a solo drive from Bangalore to Payyanur and back. This time I tried the Kootupuzha-Peratta-Ulikkal-Payyavoor-Sreekandapuram to avoid the ongoing road work on the regular route. I would suggest this to those bound for Sreekandapuram, Taliparamba and Beyond. While going from Bangalore I took the right turn immediately after crossing Kootupuzha bridge and then took left at Peratta (Peratta Mattini road). After 3-4 kms drive I got a link road to the newly laid Malabar Hill Highway that passes through Ulikkal and Payyavoor. The new road is not only butter smooth but wider, and less twisty. Reaching Payyavoor and then Sreekandapuram from the border is a much less taxing drive now.

While coming back Y' day I started from Payyanur at 6 20 AM and reached the border at 7 40 (I drive sedately, this distance I used to cover taking around 2 hours 15 minutes) and could start after a breakfast from Perumbady Coorg Gate at 8 40 AM. This is indeed less taxing and time consuming.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks