Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2019, 21:35   #1981
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
HDkote- Bavali route would have better roads among the two. heard that roads inside Nagarhole forest on the Hunsur-Kutta are not that great, driveable though.
Also remember, the forest stretches on both routes remain closed from 6PM to 6AM.
Thank for the update. Also Kottiyoor - Peravoor - Iritty or Periya – Nedumpoyil – Kannavam is better?

There is a 'kutta' road which doesn't close during night?..Any idea about the condition?

Last edited by Anoopscv : 6th August 2019 at 21:43.
Old 6th August 2019, 22:46   #1982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoopscv View Post
I am planning to travel to Kannur on this Thursday.
I'm traveling a day after you! Please do update this thread with your experience with the route that you took, and the road conditions along the way.
Old 7th August 2019, 14:40   #1983
BHPian

Quote:
Thank for the update. Also Kottiyoor - Peravoor - Iritty or Periya – Nedumpoyil – Kannavam is better?

There is a 'kutta' road which doesn't close during night?..Any idea about the condition?
The 'Kutta' Road you are referring is - Reach Gonikuppa on the usual route via Hunsur. From Gonikuppa take a left turn to Kutta. From Kutta, proceed via Kattikulam, Mananthavady.
This route is 25+ KMs longer than HD Kote - Bavali - Kattikulam. But advantage is, it is not closed during the night. The buses will now ply on this route.

Ghat road from Boys town to Kottiyoor is much steeper.
If you take Kannavam - Koothuparamba - Kannur, it may usually have more traffic (Koothuparamba town and beyond).
You can determine the best option based on where in Kannur is your destination and your timing. For southern areas, probably Koothuparamba road is better.
MSAneesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 21:25   #1984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAneesh View Post
The 'Kutta' Road you are referring is - Reach Gonikuppa on the usual route via Hunsur. From Gonikuppa take a left turn to Kutta. From Kutta, proceed via Kattikulam, Mananthavady.
This route is 25+ KMs longer than HD Kote - Bavali - Kattikulam. But advantage is, it is not closed during the night. The buses will now ply on this route.
Adding to what Aneesh said, both roads to Manathavady via Hunsur touch Kutta. One via Gonikoppal-Ponnampet-Kutta and the other one a more direct route from Hunsur through Nagarhole forest. The former does not have any nighttime restrictions - the forest stretch of the road is in Kerala state, after Tholpetty.
Old 8th August 2019, 11:34   #1985
BHPian

I am planning to travel through HD Kote - Bavali - Kattikulam - Boys Town -Kottiyoor route tomorrow. Hearing lot about the heavy rains and land slides in Wayanad. Does anyone know any part of this route is impacted in last night rain?
rajblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 12:45   #1986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Adding to what Aneesh said, both roads to Manathavady via Hunsur touch Kutta. One via Gonikoppal-Ponnampet-Kutta and the other one a more direct route from Hunsur through Nagarhole forest. The former does not have any nighttime restrictions - the forest stretch of the road is in Kerala state, after Tholpetty.
Thanks you both for the information.

I just spoke to few shops/hotels in bavali/kattikkulam and as per them, kutta-bavali-kannavam road is fine as of now. Rest all seems water clogged.
Old 8th August 2019, 12:56   #1987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajblr View Post
I am planning to travel through HD Kote - Bavali - Kattikulam - Boys Town -Kottiyoor route tomorrow. Hearing lot about the heavy rains and land slides in Wayanad. Does anyone know any part of this route is impacted in last night rain?
Boys town - Kottiyoor palchuram ghat is highly prone to landslides. I suggest you check with locals there and take a decision. Till that point, there should not be any issue.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 12:59   #1988
BHPian

Unconfirmed news that Palchuram road is closed.
Old 8th August 2019, 14:07   #1989
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks you both for the information.

I just spoke to few shops/hotels in bavali/kattikkulam and as per them, kutta-bavali-kannavam road is fine as of now. Rest all seems water clogged.
News reports say Virajpet and surrounding areas are flooded. There is a travel advisory to avoid Coorg district.
Asianet news reports there is travel ban via Kutta.
Wayanad and Kannur districts too are reeling under floods and landslips.

If possible, avoid the drive till situation improves. Keep a constant watch on updates about the situation.
Old 8th August 2019, 15:47   #1990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajblr View Post
Driving down to Wayanad/Kannur is not recommended as of now. Lot of places are either flooded or having landslips.
Start only if you can make sure that the route till your destination is clear.
MSAneesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 22:43   #1991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAneesh View Post
Driving down to Wayanad/Kannur is not recommended as of now. Lot of places are either flooded or having landslips.
Start only if you can make sure that the route till your destination is clear.
Thanks a lot, I have also confirmed that Boys town route is also closed. Decided to drop the plan. Thanks a lot for the inputs.
Old 9th August 2019, 10:38   #1992
BHPian

I started from bangalore yesterday 3PM and reached Kannur today morning 8AM 😕.

Gonikoppa-kutta road was closed and locals said there is an alternate route to Ponnampet via aruvathokklu. I met some peoples travelling to Wayanad and decided to try that route. It was very narrow route but drivable. Via kutta I reached Mananthavadi but the road near Periya was flooded and vehicles were not passing. But the other 2 cars which I followed from Kutta decided to cross and they did it. Water was around waist level. Since it was around 2AM, i decided to stop. By morning some people started driving since the water level reduced and it was around knee level. Decided to start and crossed it with out any issues. Still people are waiting there and also there were 2 cars which was stuck in the middle while crossing it. Locals helped push it out of water clogged area and they are waiting for a mechanic since those cars are not starting. After Peria, road is fine but few land slides/broken tree branches etc.

I suggest to stay back if there is no emergency.

Before reaching Kutta, my front tyre brust after hitting a pothole and that too it was raining heavily . Other guys also stopped and helped me to change the tyre.
Anoopscv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 23:18   #1993
BHPian

Movement of vehicles resume on Makutta Road- Light vehicles such as two wheelers and cars can ply on the road.

https://www.deccanherald.com/state/m...ad-755535.html

http://www.kvartha.com/2019/08/traff...nterstate.html
Old 24th August 2019, 20:44   #1994
BHPian

I traveled today through this route towards Kannur. 4 places half of the road is washed out and only one side traffic is allowed, otherwise road condition is decent. Landslide also impacted couple of locations post Koottupuzha also. The bridge is in a bad condition as most of surface got washed, drive carefully once you turn toward the bridge especially when pot holes are covered with water.
rajblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 13:26   #1995
BHPian

What route is suitable for a trip to Kannur now? If there are no routes yet with great roads thoughout, I can postpone my trip as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks