Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2021, 19:38   #2056
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriacc View Post
Any key callouts on ghat region and bad/risky road conditions I should be aware?
Restaurant suggestion in case if you are looking for one: Coorg gate, at Perumbadi check post, just at the start of Makkutta ghat downhill. A good place for lunch or dinner if you are around that area at that time or even for a quick tea stop.
balenoed_ is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 23:05   #2057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
If you are comfortable driving on the Bangalore-Maddur-Mandya-Mysore (NH275) route with all the diversions in place as part of the road widening, that would be the shorter route.
Beyond Mysore, the route is Hunsur- Gonikoppal- Virajpet(bypass) - Makutta Ghats- Kootupuzha-Iritty - Mattanur- Kannur.

Google suggested route is longer by 40-45 kms but is in good condition almost all the way. But most of us prefer to the take the regular route after Mysore, the one I suggested.
First of all, thanks a lot for the detailed answers. This is indeed really helpful.

I am starting from / returning to Mahadevapura-Hoodi area near KR Puram. So I guess taking the main road via Mandya to Mysore is not really a great attraction as such since I am not from South BLR, and the Nelamangala-Channarayapatna route looks a worthy alternative. I am not particularly worried about few extra kms (as long as it is in reasonable two digits) & the corresponding fuel expenditure, if it can instead provide peace of mind and good roads which are easy to drive. Would look forward to your advice on if the Mandya route is still a considerable option. Also - other than the aspect of regular diversions, what is the road quality in Mandya route these days?

At Wayanad, I am travelling to Meenangadi which I guess is in the periphery of Kalpetta/Ambalavayal. Given this, is the Google suggested route (which I mentioned in previous request) still the recommended one to travel from Kannur?

Regarding RTPCR, given the advice, I am planning to go without any RTPCR certicates and with only vaccination certificates for KL entry. For return to KA, I will take RTPCR from somewhere in Wayanad the day before the journey. Hope this plan would suffice.
Old 13th December 2021, 23:07   #2058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Restaurant suggestion in case if you are looking for one: Coorg gate, at Perumbadi check post, just at the start of Makkutta ghat downhill. A good place for lunch or dinner if you are around that area at that time or even for a quick tea stop.
Thanks a lot. I am likely to reach this area during lunch time, so this suggestion will come handy. Also - the google reviews for this restaurant are pretty good & shows ample parking space too. Will definitely try it out.
Old 14th December 2021, 09:28   #2059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am starting from / returning to Mahadevapura-Hoodi area near KR Puram. So I guess taking the main road via Mandya to Mysore is not really a great attraction as such since I am not from South BLR, and the Nelamangala-Channarayapatna route looks a worthy alternative. I am not particularly worried about few extra kms (as long as it is in reasonable two digits) & the corresponding fuel expenditure, if it can instead provide peace of mind and good roads which are easy to drive. Would look forward to your advice on if the Mandya route is still a considerable option. Also - other than the aspect of regular diversions, what is the road quality in Mandya route these days?
In that case, do proceed with KRpuram-Hebbal-Gorguntepalaya-Nelamangala-Belur cross-Nagamangala-Srirangapatna-Mysore ORR-Hunsur route or Nelamangala-Belur cross-Channarayapatna-Holenarsipura-Arakalgud-Periyapatna-Gonikoppal.

Quote:
At Wayanad, I am travelling to Meenangadi which I guess is in the periphery of Kalpetta/Ambalavayal. Given this, is the Google suggested route (which I mentioned in previous request) still the recommended one to travel from Kannur?
for both legs i.e, Kannur-Meenangadi and Meenangadi-Bangalore, the route you saw on gmaps are the best options currently.

Quote:
Regarding RTPCR, given the advice, I am planning to go without any RTPCR certicates and with only vaccination certificates for KL entry. For return to KA, I will take RTPCR from somewhere in Wayanad the day before the journey. Hope this plan would suffice.
When crossing into KA, the RT PCR report should be not older than 72 hours from sample collection time. So plan accordingly. Wayanad has less testing centers than Kannur so you could also see if it is possible to give samples at Kannur. I would suggest DDRC-SRL labs which is very much inside Kannur town. https://goo.gl/maps/5CxNFsQ2mf9iTZtW6

In Wayanad you may have to travel to Bathery or Kalpetta to get testing done.
sandsun7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 11:23   #2060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
In that case, do proceed with KRpuram-Hebbal-Gorguntepalaya-Nelamangala-Belur cross-Nagamangala-Srirangapatna-Mysore ORR-Hunsur route or Nelamangala-Belur cross-Channarayapatna-Holenarsipura-Arakalgud-Periyapatna-Gonikoppal.
Thanks. Amongst the two options above (i.e. Nelamangala-Srirangapatna-Hunsur vs Nelamangala-Holenarsipur-Piriyapatna), which one is recommended and why?

Also, for the route via Holenarsipur, Google has shown a direct cut from Holenarsipur to Ramnathapura, without going via Arakalgud? (please check the screenshot below) Is that Google being mischevious by taking via a not-so-good road just for the sake of few minutes/km savings? Shall I force-fix Arakalgud in that route for the sake of better roads? Or both are more or less equally viable options?

Regarding RTPCR at Wayanad vs Kannur, I am planning a two day stay at Wayanad just before coming back to KA, so taking RTPCR in advance in Kannur will result in breaching 72 hour limit. So it seems that there is no choice other than doing it in Wayanad. The place where I am staying in Wayanad - they are claiming it is easily available in 3-4 km premises. So it should be Ok i hope.
Attached Images

Old 14th December 2021, 13:51   #2061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Amongst the two options above (i.e. Nelamangala-Srirangapatna-Hunsur vs Nelamangala-Holenarsipur-Piriyapatna), which one is recommended and why?
I personally prefer The Nagamangala-Pandavapura-Srirangapatna-Mysore ORR-Hunsur route. This is shorter in distance by a couple of KMs and is more or less fine in terms of road conditions. No busy/confusing towns to cross either. The road between Mysore and Hunsur had some bad stretches for around 10-12 km which I hear is getting patched up this week. Rest of it is pretty alright.

Quote:
Also, for the route via Holenarsipur, Google has shown a direct cut from Holenarsipur to Ramnathapura, without going via Arakalgud? (please check the screenshot below) Is that Google being mischevious by taking via a not-so-good road just for the sake of few minutes/km savings? Shall I force-fix Arakalgud in that route for the sake of better roads? Or both are more or less equally viable options?
I have not taken that google suggested 'short cut' anytime. Better stick to Arakalgud- Ramanathapura- Periyapatna route.
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 15:52   #2062
BHPian

Quote:

b. For Kannur to Wayanad - is the G maps suggested route the most suitable one? (via Chala - Koothuparambu - Kolayadu - Periya - Manathavady - Wayanad)/ Or, some diversions are recommended? Any key callouts on ghat region and bad/risky road conditions I should be aware?
A small note on this route.

Roads are generally in good condition. However, in the ghat section between Nedumpoil and Periya, at a few of the sharp turns, the road is broken. Some of these are pretty deep gutters. Be watchful if you are in a car with low ground clearance.

Also, watch out for google playing mischief by routing through inner roads to save a kilometer or 2 minutes. Better stick to the main roads. From Mananthavady town, take Calicut road. Google routes you through a shorter route (Kammana road) to merge back into Calicut road at Ullishery. Didn't find this detour worth it.

Last weekend I drove from Kuthuparamba to Meppadi via Mananthavady & Kalpetta and back via Kalpetta, Pakranthalam gaht, Kuttiyady, Nadapuram.

I found Mananthavady route better. Kuttiyady route was slower.
MSAneesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 20:06   #2063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAneesh View Post
A small note on this route.

Roads are generally in good condition. However, in the ghat section between Nedumpoil and Periya, at a few of the sharp turns, the road is broken. Some of these are pretty deep gutters. Be watchful if you are in a car with low ground clearance.

Also, watch out for google playing mischief by routing through inner roads to save a kilometer or 2 minutes. Better stick to the main roads. From Mananthavady town, take Calicut road. Google routes you through a shorter route (Kammana road) to merge back into Calicut road at Ullishery. Didn't find this detour worth it.
Thanks. Based on this note, just double checked the Mananthavady - Kalpetta road, and could see that Google is quite unnecessarily forcing it out of the main road and take the Kammana road instead. Will remember this and avoid this diversion.

Also, will keep an eye on the craters in the Nedumpoil-Periya stretch. Other than being vigilant about it, there are no other issues I presume (asking since these are sharp turns as well if I understood correctly). I am driving a Corolla Altis which indeed has low GC, so there is some element of risk any ways.
Old 14th December 2021, 22:57   #2064
BHPian

Quote:

Also, will keep an eye on the craters in the Nedumpoil-Periya stretch. Other than being vigilant about it, there are no other issues I presume (asking since these are sharp turns as well if I understood correctly). I am driving a Corolla Altis which indeed has low GC, so there is some element of risk any ways.
Nothing to worry about. The ghat section is sufficiently wide and usually has sparse traffic. There are 4 hairpin bends, but are quite wide and easy to navigate.
MSAneesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 08:10   #2065
Senior - BHPian

Entry to Karnataka from Kannur via Makutta checkpost has been blocked till Monday morning citing weekend curfew in KA. Got this information from one of the Facebook travel groups I am part of.
Whoever is traveling, please plan accordingly.
sandsun7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 11:01   #2066
BHPian

Travelled a few times this month between Bangalore & Iritty.

Road conditions were overall excellent. But there is a bad section near Gonikoppal. Also, road construction is in full swing between Mysore and Bangalore with so many diversions, but the good thing is, even the diversions are one ways and 2 lanes.

Was having my mid way meals at VPK and Nandana palace. Found both the eateries to be very good-rate them way above rest of the usual highway eateries. Locations as follows.

VPK restaurant.
Approximately 6 kilometers after you take diversion from Hunsur -Madikeri highway on the left side when you are travelling towards kerala on the left side.

Nandana palace.
After Elivala, few km. before 4 lane divider road ends, again on the left side when travelling towards Kerala.

Both places serve Kerala food (Porotta poori etc). And rates are in par with local hotelsin Kerala.

Disclaimer. I am noway associated with any of these hotels. But frequent travel in this route for past 24 years. Seen so many hotels close down. I want the good business to survive these tough times-Hence this review.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-whatsapp-image-20220131-10.59.49-am.jpeg  

smasher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 12:00   #2067
Senior - BHPian

The new Kootupuzha bridge on KA-KL border was thrown open to public use today morning by PWD minister, Kerala. The construction was completed a month ago but inauguration was deferred apparently due to political reasons.
Although it does not make any difference for private car users, we may see multi-axle Volvos and Scania plying on this route henceforth once the sanctions on bus travel by the Coorg administration is lifted.
sandsun7 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 15:39   #2068
UMe
BHPian

Cross posting from another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMe View Post

Passengers from Goa and Kerala no more required to produce RTPCR negative certificate, as per GoK notification.
UMe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 15:57   #2069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMe View Post
Cross posting from another thread.
Finally!

Hope the authorities at Makkutta also know about this decision and follows it . They always seems to have their own rules and exceptions. Have to wait and see or hear once someone travels and confirms this.
balenoed_ is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 14:10   #2070
UMe
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Finally!

Hope the authorities at Makkutta also know about this decision and follows it . They always seems to have their own rules and exceptions. Have to wait and see or hear once someone travels and confirms this.
Travelled Bangalore - Kannur - Bangalore on the weekend.
The covid check post is still existing, but checking is only for vaccination certificate. The checking is quiet strict and they give you a slip with number of passengers, that is to be handed over to the police manning the exist. Since I travelled alone, Iam not sure if they are checking even for unvacinated kids.

Overall road is pretty good condition. The bad patch on the virajpet road (somewhere near gonipoppal) has been relaid. Road work is ongoing on hunsur road (bilikere), one side of the road is almost re-laid. As the road work is still happening on one side, the traffic for a few kms is routed to the other side.

Last edited by UMe : 21st February 2022 at 14:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks