Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2014, 16:16   #1306
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
Do you want to try Mysore-HD Kote-Mananthavady route? As I mentioned before, my friend had mentioned that this one is is in good shape. I will be trying the same route mostly next week (starting point would be electronic city too).
Do check this thread before you assume it is good.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3377425
Old 4th April 2014, 20:35   #1307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Where is the 60km detour coming from?

Husnur-Gonikoppal-Virajpet is 60km; while Hunsur-Periyapatna-Siddapur-Virajpet is about 70km.
I have to travel from Electronic City to Kannur. So the regular road which is not so good via Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Virajpet to the destination is about 334Kms and the best road via Channarayapatna (NH48) - Madikeri will take around 400kms. So I was checking if this extra miles is a good to go considering the good roads and total travel time.
Old 4th April 2014, 22:38   #1308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
I think the question of additional 60Kms comes only if you are taking the Madikeri or Suntikkoppa route. Here are the distances as per Google
One of my friend traveled in the direct route yesterday. As per him the Road work beyond Gonikoppa till the turn off to Perumpadi is not yet completed. Still you can drive without much issues.

Thanks
Rajesh
Thanks Rajesh, if the direct route via Gonikoppa-Perumpadi is doable without much stress(I think its ~17kms) then it should be the right option. Considering Periyapatna - Siddapura route has around 12kms of bad stretch.
Old 4th April 2014, 23:34   #1309
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoopscv View Post
I have to travel from Electronic City to Kannur. So the regular road which is not so good via Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Virajpet to the destination is about 334Kms and the best road via Channarayapatna (NH48) - Madikeri will take around 400kms. So I was checking if this extra miles is a good to go considering the good roads and total travel time.
If you are starting from Electronic city, then all means take the Mysore road. No point taking NH48. The NH48 option comes good if you are heading to Madikeri and more of North Coorg. For south coorg it still makes sense to use the Mysore road option. Just time the drive well and it should be OK.
Old 5th April 2014, 15:34   #1310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Do check this thread before you assume it is good.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3377425
Thanks for sharing.
From the video, road appears decent. But looking at the speed that Honda City was moving, I am worried.
My usual route is via Nagarhole where the forest stretch is potholed but manageable. Last trip through Virajpet-Periyapatana was comparatively bad.
Unfortunately 'good' and 'bad' are contextual/relative in case of Bangalore-Kannur routes. I am confused now!!
Old 5th April 2014, 16:43   #1311
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
From the video, road appears decent. But looking at the speed that Honda City was moving, I am worried.
It is decent only if you have a vehicle that can glide over rough roads. Don't try it with a car with soft suspension.
Old 7th April 2014, 08:09   #1312
BHPian

Heard yesterday from a relative who had used the Panathur-Bhagamandala-Madikeri route to Bangalore, that the tarmac on the forest section of Panathur-Bhagamandala has been relaid. He drives a Duster, so not sure of his impression of the road . Anyone else had a chance to take this route recently?

Last edited by vinjosep : 7th April 2014 at 08:11.
Old 7th April 2014, 08:20   #1313
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Heard yesterday from a relative who had used the Panathur-Bhagamandala-Madikeri route to Bangalore, that the tarmac on the forest section of Panathur-Bhagamandala has been relaid. He drives a Duster, so not sure of his impression of the road . Anyone else had a chance to take this route recently?
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Gundya - Kukke: Good
Kukke - Guttigaru - Sonangeri - Jalsoor: After Kukke, road repair was in progress. 3-4 km of rough roads before Guttigaru. My cousin just now informed that this 3-4 KM rough patch is ready. After this stretch, its excellent all the way until Jalsoor.
Jalsoor - Cherkala: Excellent
Does this mean there are now two good roads to Kasargod?

Sakleshpur-Gundya-Kukke-Jalasoor-Cherkala
Madikeri-Bhagamandala-Punathur-Kanhagad

Also how about Madikeri-Sullia-Jalasoor? Any improvements there?

Because any volatile changes to Shiradi would impede access to Kukke (as per what we are seeing now). From that point of view Madikeri-Sullia seems to be a better option ?

And if one can beat the traffic on Mysore road, then this option (despite all the humps) is a shorter distance.

Last edited by ampere : 7th April 2014 at 08:22.
Old 7th April 2014, 09:16   #1314
BHPian

Quote:

Because any volatile changes to Shiradi would impede access to Kukke (as per what we are seeing now). From that point of view Madikeri-Sullia seems to be a better option ?

And if one can beat the traffic on Mysore road, then this option (despite all the humps) is a shorter distance.
Madikeri-Bhagamandala-Punathur-Kanhagad: Again the Madikeri-Bhagamandala stretch is a suspect. I'm planning to risk giving this route a try next month, i.e. if there are no updates forthcoming from others before that.

At the moment, the best route to Kasargod IMO is Sakleshpur-Gundya-Kukke-Jalasoor-Cherkala
Old 7th April 2014, 09:19   #1315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yes, the roads are in excellent condition all the way upto Kasargod through the route Sakleshpur-Gundya-Kukke-Jalasoor-Cherkala.

Quote:
The work is in progress here. I guess it'll take couple of months for them to finish the Sampaje - Sullia stretch. Only few km of work is left out but the progress is very slow.

Quote:

If the Sampaje - Sullia section is completed, then Madikeri - Sullia is the best alternative to reach Kukke. One can see a board to Kukke after crossing Sampaje but this shortcut road's condition has become really bad.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 09:25   #1316
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If the Sampaje - Sullia section is completed, then Madikeri - Sullia is the best alternative to reach Kukke. One can see a board to Kukke after crossing Sampaje but this shortcut road's condition has become really bad.
In fact more than Kukke I was wondering even this would be a better option for Kasargod. Reason? Simply because you are invariant to daily conditions on Shiradi. Even if the roads are better, any conditional change on Sakleshpur-Gundya causes a stagnancy to the whole traffic flow on that stretch.

Today is the Sullia stretch that bad, which warrants the use of Shiradi? If its a few km, can't it be tolerated to reach Jalsoor ?

Last edited by ampere : 7th April 2014 at 09:27.
Old 7th April 2014, 09:34   #1317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today is the Sullia stretch that bad, which warrants the use of Shiradi? If its a few km, can't it be tolerated to reach Jalsoor ?
The worst stretch was near Sullia which is almost repaired. If one can take the bad stretch slowly, then no issues at all. Its way better than the condition of Shiradi which was worst few months back.

If one gets habituated to reach Madikeri through Holenarasipura, then its the best route with least risk and traffic one can imagine to reach Kasargod via Madikeri.
guyfrmblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 10:05   #1318
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If one gets habituated to reach Madikeri through Holenarasipura, then its the best route with least risk and traffic one can imagine to reach Kasargod via Madikeri.
My only thought was, if possible try to avoid the uncertainty of Shiradi. If that equates to 4-5km of bad roads, I think it would be worth it. But looks like it needs to seen how is the current Sullia condition.
Old 7th April 2014, 10:11   #1319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If that equates to 4-5km of bad roads, I think it would be worth it. But looks like it needs to seen how is the current Sullia condition.
If the Shiradi uncertainty factor is considered, I would say this route will be the better option. I'm again driving to Sullia this month end. Planning to take the Madikeri route and will update the latest condition here. I hope most of the work is completed by then.

Quote:
Again the Madikeri-Bhagamandala stretch is a suspect. I'm planning to risk giving this route a try next month, i.e. if there are no updates forthcoming from others before that.
One of my colleague had been to Talakaveri around 2 months back and he didn't like the Madikeri - Bhagamandala stretch. He said there are some rough patches in between but its doable.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 7th April 2014 at 10:25.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 18:08   #1320
BHPian

Quote:
Madikeri-Bhagamandala-Punathur-Kanhagad: Again the Madikeri-Bhagamandala stretch is a suspect. I'm planning to risk giving this route a try next month.
I really do not think this route is worth the risk. Madikeri - Bhagamandala stretch is managable.But Baghamandala - Panathur stretch is terrible. I had taken this route sometime in December.
Vancho is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks