Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2014, 12:03   #1351
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Thanks Rajesh, I took Siddapura route while coming back from Kannur on 17th. Another trip is planned next month, will try Gonikopal route!
Old 21st April 2014, 15:40   #1352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Came back from Payyanur yesterday. Took the normal route via Gonikkoppal - Hunsur. Its no more a nightmare. There are plenty of small and big cars taking this route now.
That's reassuring. Thanks for the update. I am driving next week and will definitely choose this route.
Old 25th April 2014, 14:41   #1353
BHPian

Need to make a trip to Chittarickal, Kerala (from Bangalore) to attend a function next week.

1. Was looking at this route till Virajpet (since I have halt there)
Nelamangala-Channarayapatna-Arkalgud-Ramanathpura-Kushalnagar-Siddapura-Virajpet.

Anybody has any update on any part of this route, primarily on the condition of the road. I will be driving a sedan.

2. From Virajpet, I've two options to reach Chittarikal, Kerala.

a. Virajpet-Bhagamandala-Karike-Panathur-Kolichal-Malom-Chittarickal
b. Virajpet-Vallithodu-Ulikkal-Payyavoor-Chemperri-Cherupuzha-Chittarickal

How is route (a) above? I heard the roads are narrow? How is the ghat section? Any chance of encounter with wild animals (though kids are looking forward to it, I'm not, especially with elephants :-))

I've done route (b) couple of times till Iritty, few years back. Roads were good at that time.

Which of these are preferable with respect to quality of the road surface?

Any input from people who frequent these routes will be appreciated.

Regards
Rex
Old 25th April 2014, 15:23   #1354
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
Need to make a trip to Chittarickal, Kerala (from Bangalore) to attend a function next week.

1. Was looking at this route till Virajpet (since I have halt there)
Nelamangala-Channarayapatna-Arkalgud-Ramanathpura-Kushalnagar-Siddapura-Virajpet.

If you are starting from south Bangalore, the Hassan road would be quite a round about. And on top you have to go to south Coorg.

Quote:
a. Virajpet-Bhagamandala-Karike-Panathur-Kolichal-Malom-Chittarickal
b. Virajpet-Vallithodu-Ulikkal-Payyavoor-Chemperri-Cherupuzha-Chittarickal
- The reason that you need to hit Virapet, I would say take the Mysore-Hunsur road.
- The road via Punathur is bad at some stages. However that is the shorter of the two.
- The road around Bhagamandala is quite narrow.
- I have no idea about the second option once you deviate from the Iritty road.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 17:32   #1355
BHPian

I went to Kanhangad in Feb. The road conditions around Panathur were bad (both from Sulia as well as from Madikeri). If you dont mind a little longer route with good roads try this -

Bangalore-Hasan-Sakleshpur-Kukke-Jalasoor-Cherkala-Panathur-Chittarickal. Road conditions till Panathur are awesome on this route. Not sure about Panathur -Chittarickal. In any case you will have to drive on this part.

Panathur-Kolichal -> Please avoid this section at all costs. Some of the worst roads you will ever find. There is a 15-20km ghat section that you would need to descend and that would take you abt 90.
zoombiee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2014, 18:54   #1356
BHPian

Thanks for the responses, ampere and zoombiee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you are starting from south Bangalore, the Hassan road would be quite a round about. And on top you have to go to south Coorg.
I'm starting from North Bangalore. That's why I thought the NH48 route will make sense for me. Moreover, somehow I don't prefer Mysore road these days. It's pretty 'un-drivable', if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- The reason that you need to hit Virapet, I would say take the Mysore-Hunsur road.
- The road via Punathur is bad at some stages. However that is the shorter of the two.
- The road around Bhagamandala is quite narrow.
- I have no idea about the second option once you deviate from the Iritty road.
Thanks! Based on another response, I may decide to stick with the Iritty route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
If you dont mind a little longer route with good roads try this -

Bangalore-Hasan-Sakleshpur-Kukke-Jalasoor-Cherkala-Panathur-Chittarickal. Road conditions till Panathur are awesome on this route. Not sure about Panathur -Chittarickal. In any case you will have to drive on this part.
I need to reach Virajpet and halt there. So this may not be the best option for me, unless otherwise I want to take the Panathur-Bhagamandala-Virajpet route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
Panathur-Kolichal -> Please avoid this section at all costs. Some of the worst roads you will ever find. There is a 15-20km ghat section that you would need to descend and that would take you abt 90.
Thanks a lot for this info. I will skip this route.

Regards
Rex

Last edited by rex_varghese : 27th April 2014 at 19:03.
Old 27th April 2014, 22:52   #1357
BHPian

Took the hunsur, gonikoppal, virajpet route. Overall good road, except for about 10-15 kms of bad roads before gonikoppal. Work is still going on in full swing, but expect broken and work in progress on these 15 kms. Otherwise smooth roads all through. Took 7.5 hours to reach Kannur - sedate driving.
vista_qjd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 12:08   #1358
BHPian

Rex,
For reaching Virajpet, I prefer mysore, Hunsur, gonikkoppal road now-that is the shortest and fastest (I traveled last week)

If you are taking Chenrayapattana road, please go via arakalgoud, somwarpet madikeri mooranadu virajpet. 30KM extra compared to Kushalnagar-but roads are awesome except for 2KM. (Roads around Kushalnagar are in bad condition on either side.)

From Madikeri, Bagamandala cherupuzha roads are in very good condition-I traveled that route a month back.
safe journey
Prince

Last edited by princenoble : 2nd May 2014 at 12:09. Reason: spelling
Old 2nd May 2014, 12:12   #1359
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by princenoble View Post
From Madikeri, Bagamandala cherupuzha roads are in very good condition-I traveled that route a month back.
safe journey
You mean to say, Bhagamandala-Punathur road has been relaid? If yes thats very good news then.
Old 2nd May 2014, 12:26   #1360
BHPian

Quote:
Rex,
For reaching Virajpet, I prefer mysore, Hunsur, gonikkoppal road now-that is the shortest and fastest (I traveled last week)

If you are taking Chenrayapattana road, please go via arakalgoud, somwarpet madikeri mooranadu virajpet. 30KM extra compared to Kushalnagar-but roads are awesome except for 2KM. (Roads around Kushalnagar are in bad condition on either side.)

safe journey
Prince
Wow! That's good news. We are driving to Cherupuzha tomorrow. Could you elaborate on the route you had taken? (from Madikeri to Cherupuzha plz) Thank you...
Old 2nd May 2014, 15:34   #1361
BHPian

Quote:
Rex,

safe journey
Prince
Is it via Kozhichal or the direct forest route...? The direct route via Pulingome was used to opened earlier in summer. Are you referring to this..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Wow! That's good news. We are driving to Cherupuzha tomorrow. Could you elaborate on the route you had taken? (from Madikeri to Cherupuzha plz) Thank you...
You can take the direct Hunsur - Gonikkoppal - Perumbadi - Vallithode (its before irrity, take right at this junction) - Ulikkal - Chemperi - Alakode - Cherupuzha.
Hunsur - Gonikkoppal direct route is better now, there is only close to 10kms needs repair. This can be driven in any types of car.

Thanks
Rajesh

Last edited by RajeshK : 2nd May 2014 at 15:35.
Old 3rd May 2014, 08:38   #1362
BHPian

Panathur Bhagamandala road is relaid and in good condition-90% work was completed almost a month back. I travelled Panathur to Cherupuzha via Bheemanadi-GPS guided me through that route. After that I found, Via Malom, it was much shorter-not sure about the road condition.

From Bangalore, Via Chenrayapattana, Holenarasipura, Arakalgoud, somwarpet, Madikeri, Bhagamadala, Panathur, cherupuzha to Therthally, I did not encouter any bad or difficult stretches.
Old 5th May 2014, 16:56   #1363
BHPian

Did Channarayapatna-Hole Narsipura-Arkalgud-Shanivara Santhe-Somawarpet-Madikeri-Virajpet in the onward and return directions. Great road surface except for approx 2 kms of real bad surface just before Hole Narsipura (in the Channarayaptna-Hole Narsipura stretch). KSTDC Mayura Hotel near Belur Cross was flooded by May 1 morning commuters stopping for breakfast. People were standing and eating everywhere. We lost a lot of time here waiting for breakfast. Though I stop here religiously whenever I pass through this place, have never seen such a crowd as this time.

We took Virajpet- Koottupuzha - Vallithode - Ulilkkal (hill highway SH 59) - Payyavoor - Chemperi- Naduvil - Alakode - Therthally - Cherupuzha - Chittarikkal onward and return since I had to make a visit in Ulikkal. Average road surface. Couple of kilometers of real bad road between Vallithode and Ulikkal.

Due to the ongoing bus strike there was less traffic on the roads in Kannur district on Saturday. But, driving through those not very good roads and through umpteen number of twists and turns took us more than 3 hours to cover 105 kilometers.

Quote:
Panathur Bhagamandala road is relaid and in good condition-90% work was completed almost a month back. I travelled Panathur to Cherupuzha via Bheemanadi-GPS guided me through that route. After that I found, Via Malom, it was much shorter-not sure about the road condition.

From Bangalore, Via Chenrayapattana, Holenarasipura, Arakalgoud, somwarpet, Madikeri, Bhagamadala, Panathur, cherupuzha to Therthally, I did not encouter any bad or difficult stretches.
princenoble, your message came little late. I would have taken onward or return trip via this route if I had such a good report about this route. Missed it.

Regards
Rex
Old 12th May 2014, 18:25   #1364

Hi, I am planning a trip to one of the Kannur beach homestays from Bangalore during the last week of May and I am, frankly quite surprised by the number of people warning me about the monsoons.

Can someone help with the ideal route that I can put in Google Maps, please? Also, is it going to be that bad with the monsoons? I should be back by June 1st week.
Old 12th May 2014, 21:22   #1365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhnag View Post
Hi, I am planning a trip to one of the Kannur beach homestays from Bangalore during the last week of May and I am, frankly quite surprised by the number of people warning me about the monsoons.
Not sure about when Monsoon would start. But its already raining in the coast thanks to some depression.

Quote:
Can someone help with the ideal route that I can put in Google Maps, please? Also, is it going to be that bad with the monsoons? I should be back by June 1st week.
Here you go :
Route Link

Bangalore-Mysore (ORR) - Hunsur Bypass - Periyapatna - Siddapur - Virajpet - Iritty - Mattannur - Kannur

Last edited by ampere : 12th May 2014 at 21:29.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks