Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2014, 11:00   #1426
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Returned from Kannur, last evening and reading @bijayks's post, I am wondering if I really took the road via Anechowkur checkpost , or did Google-maps lie to me. Anyhow, congrats to bijayks for the really incredibly fast drive. I might not be able to do it even after 10 attempts :-). While in Kannur, we spoke with 2 other families from Bangalore and the owner of the resort, and they said that on a non-rush season, Bangalore-Kannur (via Iritty) is barely doable in 8hours i.e. if your total collective stop is not more than 15-20mins odd, and you manage to drive at 110-120kmph+ most of the way. However, I suspect that they too were defensive drivers, much like me.

Anyhow, my return trip was 2x more adventurous (much more than I'd bargained for) and much longer... thanks to Google-maps-baba and my own nativity in trusting it. It all began with a wrong turn I took towards Paravoor, at Mattanoor, thanks to Google-maps "re-routing". The app got confused at an intersection (perhaps GPS had low precision and thought that I'd taken the wrong road, and re-routed as a result, which was indeed on correct route), anyhow, now I know better. It was the collecting prayer and chanting of our favourite God's names that saw us through one of the most nerve-wrecking experience climbing the last 2km towards Boys-Town (heading to Manthavady). After doing what seemed like a really tough 5 hair-pin bends, with my 1.4Ltr Petrol Logan, fully loaded... seeing the "steep limb" signs got my pulse racing, but nothing had prepared me for the last (1-2) unmarked hair-pin bend (a part of which is concrete). My car literally stalled, with full force rains facing us, the wheels skidding and screeching and unable to climb and slipping back - it was one of the scariest moments of my life. Had to rest my car thrice, and with some encouraging words from a Malayali local (who was literally a God-sent, and I am forever indebted to him) we did the last 1Km at like 5kmph @2500rpm in first gear... like I mentioned earlier, everyone chanting and calling out to God! I've done the 36-hair pin bend (again with much heart-burn and agony to my car) to Ooty, but the car was about 200kgs lighter then.

After the climb settled for gentler little climbs Manthavady was extremely charming, with rolling tea plantations, gentle rolling hills of Wayanad. Of course, we passed through Nagarhole, did some of the best, unplanned deer/antelope sighting including some road-crossing (though no elephant crossings, but passing through some relatively fresh heaps of elephant dumps). It was a beautiful drive through the national forest range.

I kept struggling with Google-maps to take us back towards the more familiar route, but in vain. Kept losing GPS lock and had to resort to the route I'd already seen, i.e. via HD Kote, Kabini, Harohalli etc. Of course, it took longer (total leg with few bio-break, photo-shoot and quick-eat breaks) was around 10hrs. However, it was one of the most beautiful (even if scary) drive of my life, where we saw the sea, the mountain in all it's glory (& might), drove through verdant green Kerala, coffee/tea plantations, the rolling hills of HD Kote and Kabini etc.

One thing for sure is, next time I pass through hills on my Logan, I am going to check for climb gradients with a fine tooth-comb. This car (petrol 1.4 GLX) loves the plains and hates the hills for sure. My round-trip odo reaching (including local sight-seeing) is 860kms.

Edit: With the route map attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-route.png  

Last edited by bdutta : 24th June 2014 at 11:13.
bdutta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 11:43   #1427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post
It was the collecting prayer and chanting of our favourite God's names that saw us through one of the most nerve-wrecking experience climbing the last 2km towards Boys-Town (heading to Manthavady).
Excellent report
The Peravoor-Kottiyoor-Boys town ghat section has some extremely steep climbs. This is not a regular route as compared to the Nedumpoil-Periya route. This road is not a very old one IIRC. This road was open to public in 2005 or 2006. I remember my first drive through this in that year during the Kottiyoor festival season, we had a very nice drive through thick fog from Kottiyoor to Boys town in our jeep. The engine got overheated in between and we stopped somewhere and refilled water in the radiator - a sign how steep the climb is The same vehicle never used to overheat in the Nedumpoil-Periya ghat section or Kuttiyadi-Pakranthalam ghat section.
Old 24th June 2014, 23:50   #1428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver85 View Post
Excellent report
The Peravoor-Kottiyoor-Boys town ghat section has some extremely steep climbs. This is not a regular route as compared to the Nedumpoil-Periya route. This road is not a very old one IIRC. This road was open to public in 2005 or 2006. I remember my first drive through this in that year during the Kottiyoor festival season, we had a very nice drive through thick fog from Kottiyoor to Boys town in our jeep. The engine got overheated in between and we stopped somewhere and refilled water in the radiator - a sign how steep the climb is The same vehicle never used to overheat in the Nedumpoil-Periya ghat section or Kuttiyadi-Pakranthalam ghat section.
Thanks @denver85. It is a bit redeeming to my Logan and it's pride is slightly (only) restored !

The Kottiyoor festival season was perhaps ongoing, or some special festival was underway when we were passing through the area, because it seemed like several thousands of devotees had descended in that area, road was swamped by them, but still it looked like a well managed event.
bdutta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 12:05   #1429
BHPian

Bdutta,
Sorry to hear about your misadventure.
You should have taken note of few key places/town names on the intended route apart from following the maps.
In a forest/Ghat section like this, blindly going with the instructions from Gmaps is not a good idea. Again this being your first time drive through this region (that too in heavy rain), added to your woes.
In normal conditions, Kottiyoor/Boys town route is very nice (I used this couple of times recently). You got into trouble due to the extra load, rain, car and being first time drive!!

Too late to comment/help on anything now. Better luck next time
sivadas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 18:59   #1430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
Went to Kannur and came back..
Took Hunsur-Periyapatana-Veerajpet-Iritty route for onward journey. I was also caught by surprise (as mentioned by Anoop) with road being closed at KRS turn. In fact, not realizing that road is closed, I followed the available road (towards KRS)for a while and had to return! The alternate road (temporary one) was barely manageable.
As expected, after Periyapatana road was in bad shape for around 8-10Km. Overall took around 8.5hrs.
While returning, tried the Mananthavadi-Kattikkulam-Bavali-HD-Kote route. Forest part of this route is really good. But had to negotiate the 8Kms of mud road(permanent diversion through few villages). I would say this is still better than the bad patches of Periyapatana route. Overall, return journey was faster taking around 7.5 hours (had my family with me while going but alone during return ).
Sivadas, where exactly is this KRS turn? Is this the forest section between Virajpet and Iritty? And is it closed during night? Thanks.
Old 30th June 2014, 11:16   #1431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Sivadas, where exactly is this KRS turn? Is this the forest section between Virajpet and Iritty? And is it closed during night? Thanks.
No no!! I was talking about the Mysore bypass road (right turn after Srirangapatana to reach Yelawal on Mysore-Husur road). When you go from Srirangapatana towards Yelawal, at one junction we have this right turn which goes towards KRS dam. The straight road was (not the KRS road) blocked some time back probably to repair the broken parts of the road.. Not sure if this is completed.
Old 30th June 2014, 12:02   #1432
BHPian

Thanks for the response.

I did the Madikeri-Virajpet-Iritty stretch day before yesterday night. There is no restriction during night (for all vehicles including bicycles)

Road is very good.

Quote:
No no!! I was talking about the Mysore bypass road (right turn after Srirangapatana to reach Yelawal on Mysore-Husur road). When you go from Srirangapatana towards Yelawal, at one junction we have this right turn which goes towards KRS dam. The straight road was (not the KRS road) blocked some time back probably to repair the broken parts of the road.. Not sure if this is completed.
Old 1st July 2014, 11:58   #1433
Senior - BHPian

planning for a Bangalore - Parassinikadavu trip in next 2-3 weeks. Plan is to start by 2AM from Whitefield, then take Mysore road, Mysore, PeriyPatna, Bittangala route.

1. Which is a good rest area for break after 3 hrs of drive?
2. I plan to take Periyapatna Anechowkur checkpost route. Hope that's the best option.
3. Should I take right at Vallikode towards Payyavoor sreekandapuram or continue straight to iritty?
4. If iritty route is taken, should I turn left at Peruvalathuparamba or chorukkala bus stop?
5. Are there any good hotels in Iritty town for breakfast at 7 Am?
Old 1st July 2014, 14:35   #1434
BHPian

I have been reading the last few pages in this thread trying to figure out which route to take. Planning to drive to Kannur Thursday night,4th Friday early morning going to leave Bangalore around 3:30 Am in the morning.

1) Route: Take Bangalore > NICE Road > Mysore Road > Mysore Ring Road (Take right turn at Columbia Asia Hospital) > Hunsur > Periyapatna (Take left turn towards)> Anechowkur > Gonikoppal > Bittingala-Perumbadi > Iritty > Kannur

My question is should i go directly to Gonikoppal from Hunsur or take the Periyapatna - Anechowkur route. Which one is best to take. As most of the folks who traveled in May and beginning June said they took this route. While some of the latest posts in last 2 weeks suggest to take the drect road from Hunsur to Gonikoppal.

If anyone has done this route recently or planning to do please share the pros and cons. We would be covering this route in a Vista and a I20.
Old 1st July 2014, 14:47   #1435
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post
I have been reading the last few pages in this thread trying to figure out which route to take. Planning to drive to Kannur Thursday night,4th Friday early morning going to leave Bangalore around 3:30 Am in the morning.

1) Route: Take Bangalore > NICE Road > Mysore Road > Mysore Ring Road (Take right turn at Columbia Asia Hospital) > Hunsur > Periyapatna (Take left turn towards)> Anechowkur > Gonikoppal > Bittingala-Perumbadi > Iritty > Kannur

My question is should i go directly to Gonikoppal from Hunsur or take the Periyapatna - Anechowkur route. Which one is best to take. As most of the folks who traveled in May and beginning June said they took this route. While some of the latest posts in last 2 weeks suggest to take the drect road from Hunsur to Gonikoppal.

If anyone has done this route recently or planning to do please share the pros and cons. We would be covering this route in a Vista and a I20.
I came back from Kannur to Bangalore on 27/06/2013 morning 9am.Alone in a Toyota fortuner.

Taken direct route thru kuttupuzha,Virajpet bye pass, gonikoppa , Hunsur,Srirangapatna,Bangalore.

Only one stretch of Road inside the jungle where one has to enter thru a forest check post gate and exit another gate is levelled with out any Tar.

Rest entire route is fine.Literally fortuner was flying from Kuttupuzha till hunsur, cafe coorg.

Sorry for poor picture quality as i alone driving and clicking.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-photo-1.jpg  

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-photo-2.jpg  

Last edited by Rajith : 1st July 2014 at 15:01.
Rajith is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 20:33   #1436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
planning for a Bangalore - Parassinikadavu trip in next 2-3 weeks. Plan is to start by 2AM from Whitefield, then take Mysore road, Mysore, PeriyPatna, Bittangala route.

2. I plan to take Periyapatna Anechowkur checkpost route. Hope that's the best option.
3. Should I take right at Vallikode towards Payyavoor sreekandapuram or continue straight to iritty?
4. If iritty route is taken, should I turn left at Peruvalathuparamba or chorukkala bus stop?
1. Taking rest at 5am wouldn't be a good idea according to me. You might want to take a very quick break and proceed.
2. Mentioned route is the best for the time being. Go by Mysore town (which is safer at this time) rather than any of the bypasses.
3. Iritty-Mattanur-Chalode-Mayyil-Naniyoor Nambram-Parissnikadavu would be the best route according to me. You have to turn right at Chalode and then a left after some time -go by the parassinikkadavu road signs.
4. NA
5. I remember seeing a decent restaurant (in the town itself) little after bus stand on the right side. Dont remember the name.
Old 1st July 2014, 21:41   #1437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Taking rest at 5am wouldn't be a good idea according to me. You might want to take a very quick break and proceed.
I agree. Primarily to take a bio break for female passengers. Any decent hotels on the way? Some times back when I was coming back from Kozhikode in a private bus, they stopped somewhere near Hunsur for break at around 2 AM. Any idea which one that could be?

Last edited by arjithin : 1st July 2014 at 21:43.
Old 1st July 2014, 22:30   #1438
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
2. Mentioned route is the best for the time being. Go by Mysore town (which is safer at this time) rather than any of the bypasses.
3. Iritty-Mattanur-Chalode-Mayyil-Naniyoor Nambram-Parissnikadavu would be the best route according to me. You have to turn right at Chalode and then a left after some time -go by the parassinikkadavu road signs.
4. NA
5. I remember seeing a decent restaurant (in the town itself) little after bus stand on the right side. Dont remember the name.
1. I echo what Sivadas said. You may not required to take rest, if required have a road side tea at Hunsur.

2. Take the direct route to Gonikkoppal instead of Periyapatna. No issues now, you can ride perfectly. I am traveling on this Friday and can update you the latest details if you want.

3. Take direct to Irrity.

4. You can take either the route mentioned by Sivadas or the one via Peruvalathuparamba. But the second option is not so good in terms of road condition and numerous turns. Otherwise, you can drive till Thalipparamba (U hv option of deviating at Kurumathur or Manna)

5. There is one after busstand on your right side. Its pretty decent and good bathroom facility.

PM me if you need any specific info

Thanks
Rajesh
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 22:45   #1439
BHPian

Quote:
I agree. Primarily to take a bio break for female passengers. Any decent hotels on the way? Some times back when I was coming back from Kozhikode in a private bus, they stopped somewhere near Hunsur for break at around 2 AM. Any idea which one that could be?
Yes, there are few restaurants specially catering to the night buses (private and KSRTCs) near Hunsur. But none of them will be open during early morning.
Sorry, not sure on the 24/7 restaurants. Please check out Cafe Coffee day at Maddur , Cafe Coorg and Namma Halli Mane at Hunsur .
Old 4th July 2014, 16:44   #1440
BHPian

Came to Payyanur today from Bangalore. Started at 4.40am and reached Payyanur at 11am via Hunsur - Gonikkoppal - Irikkur - Thalipparamba. This is including breakfast break at Cafe county@hunsur.

The Hunsur - Anechowkur stretch is almost done except for the last 10km. But this very easy to manage as the road surface is levelled after a coating of metal and mud.
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks