Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2014, 17:28   #1441
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
... But this very easy to manage as the road surface is levelled after a coating of metal and mud.
Hoping they soon complete the remaining part too. Then Bangalore- Payyanur would be 6-7 hours drive.

I could manage this in seven hours only in solo drives, not when driving with family.
Old 4th July 2014, 18:48   #1442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by igniteddriver View Post
Hoping they soon complete the remaining part too. Then Bangalore- Payyanur would be 6-7 hours drive.

I could manage this in seven hours only in solo drives, not when driving with family.

The work is in snail speed.. there are very less construction vehicle. No idea when this will complete.

Even now I could reach Payyanur in 6.30hrs
Old 6th July 2014, 21:54   #1443
BHPian

Came back to Bangalore today. Started by 10:15am and reached Bangalore by 6pm including lunch break and tea break (total 1.30hr). The Mysore - Bangalore road traffic was hell with heavy rain between Madhur and Bidadi.

The picture below shows the condition of the un-completed stretch close to Anechowkur checkpost.

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-hunsur_gonikkoppal.jpg
RajeshK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 13:22   #1444
BHPian

Quote:
Came back to Bangalore today. Started by 10:15am and reached Bangalore by 6pm including lunch break and tea break (total 1.30hr). The Mysore - Bangalore road traffic was hell with heavy rain between Madhur and Bidadi.

The picture below shows the condition of the un-completed stretch close to Anechowkur checkpost.

Attachment 1258222
@ Rajesh and other recent travellers,

I will be driving down to Kannur on July 13. Planning to take:

Bangalore-NICE Road-Mysore Road- Mysore Ring Road- Hunsur- Gonikoppal-Perumbadi-Iritty-Kannur route as per suggestions of recent travellers. A reconfirmation that this route is okay will help me.

Would it be possible to give some land marks for turns at Hunsur to Gonikoppal and from there to Perumbadi byepass and Iritty? This is only the second time Iam driving to Kannur, that too after a gap of one year.

Looking forward to your reply.

Last edited by Aravindpn : 11th July 2014 at 13:23. Reason: grammar/typo
Old 12th July 2014, 12:47   #1445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravindpn View Post

I will be driving down to Kannur on July 13. Planning to take:

Bangalore-NICE Road-Mysore Road- Mysore Ring Road- Hunsur- Gonikoppal-Perumbadi-Iritty-Kannur route as per suggestions of recent travellers. A reconfirmation that this route is okay will help me.

Would it be possible to give some land marks for turns at Hunsur to Gonikoppal and from there to Perumbadi byepass and Iritty? This is only the second time Iam driving to Kannur, that too after a gap of one year.

Looking forward to your reply.
Yes, at this moment this is the easiest and better route. You don't need to worry much about the diversions. At Mysore, remember to take the right turn at the first signal (There will be a canal going on top on the road, you will not miss it). At this signal, you can see Columbia Asia hospital diagonally opposite. Now you are in the mysore ring road and the very next signal make sure to change the lane to right side. Your direct lane is not laid properly. Now take exit at the next signal towards Hunsur/Madikeri.

Once you drive past Hunsur, after 3-4km you will reach a "Y" junction and take left here. The right will go to Madikeri and left will go to Gonikkoppal / Virajpet. Now keep continue this road. (After ~15km you will hit the bad patch for about ~10km). Once you crossed Gonikkoppal town, keep driving on the same route and don't deviate. You can see right turn towards Virajpet after around 12km from Gonikkoppal town. Here keep straight and this will take you to the Perumbadi checkpost.

Hope you know the routes once you are in side Kerala.

I have sent you a pvt message with my number, you can call me any time if there is any doubt.
RajeshK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2014, 14:39   #1446
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, at this moment this is the easiest and better route. You don't need to worry much about the diversions. At Mysore, remember to take the right turn at the first signal (There will be a canal going on top on the road, you will not miss it). At this signal, you can see Columbia Asia hospital diagonally opposite. Now you are in the mysore ring road and the very next signal make sure to change the lane to right side. Your direct lane is not laid properly. Now take exit at the next signal towards Hunsur/Madikeri.

Once you drive past Hunsur, after 3-4km you will reach a "Y" junction and take left here. The right will go to Madikeri and left will go to Gonikkoppal / Virajpet. Now keep continue this road. (After ~15km you will hit the bad patch for about ~10km). Once you crossed Gonikkoppal town, keep driving on the same route and don't deviate. You can see right turn towards Virajpet after around 12km from Gonikkoppal town. Here keep straight and this will take you to the Perumbadi checkpost.

Hope you know the routes once you are in side Kerala.

I have sent you a pvt message with my number, you can call me any time if there is any doubt.
Hey Rajesh,

This helps immensely. Incase of any doubts, will call you.
Old 16th July 2014, 17:02   #1447
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Rajesh,

This helps immensely. Incase of any doubts, will call you.
Completed the trip to Kannur with the help of crisp inputs from Rajesh. Started on July 13 at 3.30 am from JP Nagar and reached around 11.45 at Azhikode, Kannur, with stops in total adding to 30 mts. Returned on July 15 through same route. Started at around 3.45 am and reached JP Nagar, Bangalore at 11.45 am with similiar stops. It was continuosly raining both ways in routes of Mysore-Kannur. Looks like 10kms of bad patch from Hunsur to Anechowkur will be done up soon. Saw piles of stones and sand on road sides to fill holes and level the road. May be by end of this monsoon, it should be up.

Saw the below old tusker at Anechowkur, with one tusk. Reminded me of Lord Ganapathy and mantra:

"Om ekadantaya vidmahe Vakkratundaya dheemahi Tanno danti prachodayat"
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-img_6839v3.jpg  

Aravindpn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 15:41   #1448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like 10kms of bad patch from Hunsur to Anechowkur will be done up soon
Is this the only bad patch on the Hunsur-Virajpet stretch?
Old 22nd July 2014, 15:43   #1449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Is this the only bad patch on the Hunsur-Virajpet stretch?

Yes, that is the only bad patch on the stretch
Aravindpn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 09:29   #1450
BHPian

My first post. Travelling to Kannur this weekend. From above posts, looks like, Hunsur - Gonikopal direct route is better than Periyapattana route.
Old 25th July 2014, 10:22   #1451
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajishanand View Post
My first post. Travelling to Kannur this weekend. From above posts, looks like, Hunsur - Gonikopal direct route is better than Periyapattana route.

Except for the bad patch around Anechowkur checkpost

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 22:18   #1452
BHPian

I reached Kannur today morning and just wanted to update here that the bad stretch become more uneven because of the heavy rain. End of the bad stretch(around 1-2km) is more uneven with many craters and had to drive at a speed of 10KM/hr.
Anoopscv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 22:42   #1453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoopscv View Post
I reached Kannur today morning and just wanted to update here that the bad stretch become more uneven because of the heavy rain. End of the bad stretch(around 1-2km) is more uneven with many craters and had to drive at a speed of 10KM/hr.
Thanks Anoop. Is there any damage in the ghat section specially few KMs after the Perumbadi checkpost and at the police outpost at Makkutta..?
Old 26th July 2014, 08:45   #1454
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Anoop. Is there any damage in the ghat section specially few KMs after the Perumbadi checkpost and at the police outpost at Makkutta..?
No, that road is still in good condition. Towards Kannur, before Mele Chovva, there were 2-3 damaged spots.
Old 26th July 2014, 11:20   #1455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoopscv View Post
Can somebody who travelled on both routes (direct & periyapatna) give a comparison of both? I went through old posts and there are conflicting reports about the conditions.. thanks.

i am driving Bglr- Payyannur -kollur- bangalore on 8/8. So appreciate any road condition update for this complete route

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks