Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2015, 02:30   #1561

re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Hi,

I read through several of the recent posts, and could not conclude which route to take.

I will be travelling to Kannur from Bangalore, with 3 friends on the 1st of May. We have rented a Ford Figo from Zoomcars (amazing and seamless booking experience by the way). Which route would you recommend keeping in mind firstly safety and road conditions, secondly scenic beauty?

We'll be starting from Bangalore at 9 a.m. as two of us will be arriving from Hyderabad the same morning.

1. Via Manthavady through Nagarhole National Park. (extra 35-40 km)
2. Via Hunsur and irrity.

Thanks
Keep Revving!!
Old 25th April 2015, 11:07   #1562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwindows View Post
Hi,

I read through several of the recent posts, and could not conclude which route to take.
No confusions at all, now. Just follow this route:
Bangalore-Mysore(ORR)-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Virajpet-Makkuta Ghats-Iritty-Mattannur-Kannur.
Excellent scenic roads all the way. Budget around 6.5-7 hours with relaxed driving.

Gmaps link: http://goo.gl/zUSSeS
Old 26th April 2015, 23:36   #1563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
No confusions at all, now. Just follow this route:
Bangalore-Mysore(ORR)-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Virajpet-Makkuta Ghats-Iritty-Mattannur-Kannur.
Excellent scenic roads all the way. Budget around 6.5-7 hours with relaxed driving.

Gmaps link: http://goo.gl/zUSSeS
Agree with sandsun7. Done this route last a days back (onward April 11th, inward April 18th). Excellent roads throughout. Expect heavy traffic till Mysore if you leave Bangalore by 9.30am. Try to leave as early as possible. Otherwise, this route can be done in 7 hrs with sedate driving.
Old 27th April 2015, 12:58   #1564
BHPian

Day time drivers, please watchout for speed camera at Ramanagara and Chennapattna. Last time I got cought at Ramanagara (close to town limit) for exceeding beyond 50km/hr.
Old 27th April 2015, 13:38   #1565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Day time drivers, please watchout for speed camera at Ramanagara and Chennapattna. Last time I got cought at Ramanagara (close to town limit) for exceeding beyond 50km/hr.
Was this an interceptor or a fixed camera? There are very few sign boards giving out the legal speed and hence its very difficult to discern the allowed speed while nearing the towns :(
Old 27th April 2015, 13:47   #1566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Was this an interceptor or a fixed camera? There are very few sign boards giving out the legal speed and hence its very difficult to discern the allowed speed while nearing the towns :(
Yes, interceptors in Police Tavera
Old 19th May 2015, 10:43   #1567
Senior - BHPian

Planning to drive from Payyanur to Whitefield on 25th May, possible start around 1 PM. Vehicle Ertiga.

1. Google maps shows Thaliparamaba - Sreekandapuram - payyavoor road bypassing Iritty. Is it a good option?

2. I think i should be in Mysore during the evening peak hours, so planning to take the KRS bypass.

3. From mysore , I will be hitting heavy traffic; so planning to spend 2-3 hrs around virajpet so that I reach Bangalore outskirts by 11 PM. Any suggestions for a good sight seeing spot? ( I am yet to go to coorg for sightseeing )
Old 19th May 2015, 15:59   #1568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post

1. Google maps shows Thaliparamaba - Sreekandapuram - payyavoor road bypassing Iritty. Is it a good option?

2. I think i should be in Mysore during the evening peak hours, so planning to take the KRS bypass.
1. Take Sreekandapuram -> Irikkur -> Iritty. Google Maps screwed my on my first solo trip down. What you have mentioned is a shorter route, but riddled with potholes and some narrow roads (if you will be religiously using GMaps).

2. I've heard that this route is now open, would be interested to hear the status especially the railway crossing underpass at srirangapatna and the other extensive work that was happening on this road.
shefiu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 09:19   #1569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Planning to drive from Payyanur to Whitefield on 25th May, possible start around 1 PM. Vehicle Ertiga.

3. From mysore , I will be hitting heavy traffic; so planning to spend 2-3 hrs around virajpet so that I reach Bangalore outskirts by 11 PM. Any suggestions for a good sight seeing spot? ( I am yet to go to coorg for sightseeing )
Taliparamba-Srikandapuram-Iritty via Irikkur. Very good but curvy roads all the way.
I am not a fan of the KRS bypass and prefer Mysore ORR any time. KRS road has lot of patchy sections where the ride would be rough, especially if you are in a small hatch.

You could visit the Golden Temple (Namdroling Monastery) in Bylakuppe. You will have to go towards Kushalnagar from Virajpet via Siddapura. Roads are good till Siddapura. Beyond that , I have no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shefiu View Post
2. I've heard that this route is now open, would be interested to hear the status especially the railway crossing underpass at srirangapatna and the other extensive work that was happening on this road.
The underpass at Srirangapatna was almost ready when I did the stretch in mid April. The asphalting of approach roads was pending. Should have completed by now.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 09:41   #1570
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
1. Take Sreekandapuram -> Irikkur -> Iritty. Google Maps screwed my on my first solo trip down. What you have mentioned is a shorter route, but riddled with potholes and some narrow roads (if you will be religiously using GMaps).
Take only Sreekandapuram -> Irikkur -> Iritty. Roads are in very good condition but curvy. Better plan to hit Mysore road after 8pm. If you start by 1-2pm from Payyanur, and take some good 1hr break in between you cannot reach before 7-8pm at Mysore road unless you drive very fast.
If you want to spend some time on sightseeing, Ranganamthittu will be a good option unless you haven't been there earlier. But be sure to reach there before 5pm. It will take almost 5hours to reach there from Payyanur in a continuous drive. At present there are lots of pre-monsoon showers and chances are there that you cannot drive as fast as you think.

In my last trip, I have started from Payyanur by 2pm and took early dinner break at Hotel Heritage Shelters in KRS road around 6:40pm. We spend some time there and started around 8pm and reached Bangalore by 10pm.

Quote:
Road is open and little rough at some places, but not a matter of concern now.

Thanks
Rajesh
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 11:22   #1571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
)
Update- road conditions are good through out. Started from Payyannur at 12 pm, reached Whitefield 11:15 pm

50 mts stop at cafe coorg, pathetic service - 30 mts for some one to take order, no food other than bakery items available at 3 pm and stinking rest room.
90 mts at brindavan gardens
45 mts for Dinner.
Old 1st June 2015, 18:14   #1572
BHPian

Travelled Bangalore -Payyanur (370kms) via Mysore ORR/Hunsur/Gonikoppa/Virjapet bypass/Irrity bridge/Sreekandapuram/Taliparambh
1. Started early 7.30, its not early anymore for weekend, traffic was moderate and avg speed was 60. the culprit was that all road humps/breakers removed and in place are metal turarounds, this caused jams as vehicles had to cut slowing entire traffic.
2. Most of eateries are full, better to have early breakfast/lunches, or carry and break off roadside.
3. Ghats are curvy all way from veerajpet to taliparambh, good roads but cant speed

Return leg: Nileswaram-Jalsore-Sullia-Madikeri-KRS byepass
1. Kasargod-Jalsore roads very good, but curves, Jalsore-Madikeri is wide roads and a breeze.
2. KRS byepass, 18kms 35mins not much difference compared to mysore ring road of 45mins
3. Weather factor slows down the speed, so factor in 9-10 hours whichever route one may take this time of the year
Old 9th June 2015, 09:14   #1573
BHPian

Travelled Bangalore-Mysore ORR-Virajpet-Iritty-Mattannur-Kannur and same way back.
1) Removal of spead breakers made it even more pathetic since they have not leveled the surface. Due to the combination of collapsible barricade and these rough surfaces the traffic is still slowing down lot more than required, creating traffic jams.
2) Mysore ORR-Hunsur stretch has lot of pot holes on the middle of the road. But one can evade these easily.
3) After Hunsur, Virajpet road is in amazing condition.
4) Makkootta ghats had two trees fell on the road. But the authorities seem to have cut them overnight and removed the hindrances.
5) Roads past Mattannur till Kannur is patchy. But my car loved the stretch.
Old 15th June 2015, 11:33   #1574
BHPian

Any update on the KRS byepass? The last I heard was the junction was being rebuilt. Appreciate updates from frequent travelers.
Old 19th June 2015, 21:29   #1575
Senior - BHPian

Cross posting from Accident thread - Now the road is in excellent condition, need to be careful during night.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3734441

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks