Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2013, 10:41   #1156
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupkma View Post
Great. Let me know the details after your trip.
@anupkma Back from the trip. I've posted the details on the "Information on Coorg route" thread.

Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3193309.

Please feel free to PM me if you need additional details.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 18:32   #1157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
@anupkma Back from the trip. I've posted the details on the "Information on Coorg route" thread.
=========
Please feel free to PM me if you need additional details.
Thanks a lot. By the way heard the news about road conditions from the news paper. I have postponed the trip for the time being and is instead probably going to BR hills
Old 6th August 2013, 14:54   #1158
BHPian

I did a Payyanur- Bangalore trip this Sunday. Route: http://goo.gl/maps/Y5vTm

A major portion of the road between Anechoukoor check post and Periyapatna is in bad shape with 11 kms of bad roads having around 2-3 big potholes every one KM. But can be traversed by driving carefully. Except for this 11km, this route is quite good.
NICE road is the best option for those who are driving to east bangalore. One can reach Sarjapura Road Junction from Kengeri in 30-45 minutes.
Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-img_0380.jpg

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-img_0359.jpg

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-img_0372.jpg

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-img_0374.jpg

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-img_0375.jpg

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-img_0376.jpg

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-img_0378.jpg

Last edited by mobike008 : 7th August 2013 at 14:14. Reason: replaced the link
Old 19th August 2013, 11:01   #1159
Senior - BHPian

Any recent post-monsoon update on the Hunsur-Nagarhole-Kutta-Tholpetty-Mananthavady-Kannur route? The periyapatna-Maldare-Siddapura stretch now being very bad as reported, this could perhaps be the best option towards Kannur for daytime driving.
Old 19th August 2013, 12:37   #1160
BHPian

Did a Bangalore –Kannur – Bangalore round trip over last week.
While going, took Bangalore- Hunsur- Periyapattana- Sidapur-Veerajpet-Irity-Kannur. Roads are in terrible condition for few kilometers on the stretch between Periayapattana and Sidapur.

Return I took Gonikupa-Periyapattana-Hunsur route. Roads are in better condition except few rough stretches. People travelling on a sedan should consider this route.

Left Kannur around 1:00 PM and reached Bangalore by 10:00 PM. Being Sunday and end of long weekend there was heavy traffic on Mysore-Bangalore stretch.

Vimo
Old 19th August 2013, 12:38   #1161
BHPian

Just did Bangalore > Srirangapatna > Yelawal(!!) > Hunsur > Periyapatna > Kushalnagara > Sidapura > Ammathi > Virajpet > Mattanur
Overall good roads.
Bad stretches:
1. On the Srirangapatna > Yelawal > Hunsur road, the stretch under the railway bridge (after KRS turn off)
2. The stretch between Kushalnagar turn off to Siddapura - pot holes here and there; but nothing to worry as such.
Old 21st August 2013, 11:01   #1162
shimshumara

Re: Quick Meets at Bangalore

Hello people, I am planning to take my i10 to Virajpet with family. Departing on Friday morning around 0800. I have been given various updates from various sources on which is the best route. Guess the road must be good till Hunsur.

Any idea which is the best route depending on the smallness of the car?
1) Kushalnagar - Ammatthi - Virajpet
2) Kushalnagar - Madikeri - Virajpet
3) Gonikoppal - Virajpet
4) Periyapatna - Siddapur - Virajpet (added later)

Please let me know.
Thanks

Last edited by shimshumara : 21st August 2013 at 11:24. Reason: added one more option

Old 21st August 2013, 19:39   #1163
shimshumara

Hello TBHP Support Team,

Thanks for moving this to appropriate thread.
Based on the feedback from the Resorts guys and above udpatess, I have decided to take the below route:

Bangalore > Srirangapatna > Hunsur > Periyapatna > Sidapura > Ammathi > Virajpet.

My destination is Club Mahindra Resorts, which is another 10 kms from Virajpet on the Talakaveri Road.

Let me revert back by Monday with my experiences.

Old 21st August 2013, 19:58   #1164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshumara View Post
Hello TBHP Support Team,

I have decided to take the below route:

Bangalore > Srirangapatna > Hunsur > Periyapatna > Sidapura > Ammathi > Virajpet.
Be aware that the initial 9kms on the Periyapatna-Siddapura direct route (via Maldare) is very bad with some huge potholes. Other alternative is to continue till Kushalnagar and then turn towards siddapura.
Old 21st August 2013, 21:16   #1165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshumara View Post
Hello TBHP Support Team,

Thanks for moving this to appropriate thread.
Based on the feedback from the Resorts guys and above udpatess, I have decided to take the below route:

My destination is Club Mahindra Resorts, which is another 10 kms from Virajpet on the Talakaveri Road.

Let me revert back by Monday with my experiences.
I haven't travelled recently through the Kushalnagar-Sidhapura stretch that @sandsun7 had suggested as the better alternative. But believe me, the first 10 or so kms between Periyapatna and the Coorg district entry checkpost on the direct Periyapatna-Sidhapura route is extremely bad, so I feel it may very well be worth travelling an extra 15-20 kms and going via Kushalnagar if that road is in reasonable shape (and I assume it would be because I have seen some others also suggesting the same).
Old 22nd August 2013, 11:24   #1166
shimshumara

Thanks Sandsun7 & Kala,
With your inputs Im more keen to take your suggested route.
Let me make some inquiry at PPatna and hopefully I would not make a bad decission and end up banging my car's bottom.

Old 26th August 2013, 08:42   #1167
BHPian

Am Planning to do Bangalore to Kannur on Polo next weekend. Am completely new to this routes and travelling for the first time. Could someone let me know the best route please?
Old 26th August 2013, 09:13   #1168
shimshumara

Sandsun7 & Kala, once again, thanks very much for your inputs. I came back last night and here is what I would like to share as Road Condition update.

1. Bangalore - Sri Rangapatna - 120kms - Excellent Road, except for too many speed breakers

2. Sri Rangapatna - KRS Junction - Elwala - 20 kms: The initial 5 kms and mid stretch under the Railway Bridge for 2 kms are bad.

3. Elwala - Hunsur - Periyapatna: 60 kms - Excellent Road with first 20kms being divided and 4 lanes.

4. Periayaptna - Mutthhoor - Maldare - Siddapura - 30 kms, The figures of first 10 kms being bad is accurate and I took this road on my i10 but was able to do it with minimum efforts. The stretch after Mutthhor Chekpost is recently asphalted and is a pleasure to drive till Siddapura and beyond. This stretch is also full of forest on either side with lush green.

5. Siddapura - Ammatthi - Virajpet - 20 kms. Excellent road surface, though one might find it narrow. Watch out for busses at high speed and lot of cargo vehicles (small ones).

While going with stopped for break fast, fuel, nature call, photography, etc it took us 6 hours to reach Virajpet. While coming back, we departed Virajpet at 1030, were at Mysore Ring Road Junction at 1230. From there we had a break journey and second stretch to BLR was reached in another 2 hours. We were driving at 60-80 in the first leg (Virajpet - Mysore) and 80-100 in the second leg (Mysore - Bengaluru).

Also attaching some pics of the Road:
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-dscn7969.jpg  

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-dscn7971.jpg  

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-dscn7972.jpg  

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-dscn7974.jpg  

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-dscn7975.jpg  

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-dscn7976.jpg  

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-dscn7980.jpg  

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-dscn7981.jpg  

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-dscn7989.jpg  

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-dscn7991.jpg  

(1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 09:22   #1169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb4u View Post
Am Planning to do Bangalore to Kannur on Polo next weekend. Am completely new to this routes and travelling for the first time. Could someone let me know the best route please?
3 possible routes:
Route 1. Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Periyapatna-Maldare-Siddapura-Ammathi-Virajpet-Makutta-Iritty-Mattannur-Kannur:(around 340KM)

Road conditions are good from Bangalore to Periyapatna. Periyapatna to Siddapura, initial 9km are said to be very bad. Rest would be decent. Past Siddapura town, it is excellent.

Route 2. Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Periyapatna-Kushalnagar-Nellihudikeri-Siddapura-Ammathi-Virajpet-Makutta-Iritty-Mattannur-Kannur (around 360KM)

Road conditions are good to decent overall. This would be the recommended route if you want to drive on good roads throughout.

Route 3. Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Nagarhole-Kutta-Tholpetty-Kattikulam-Mananthavady-Periya ghats-Nidumpoil-Kuthuparamba-Kannur (around 360KM)

Good roads till Mananthavady, not sure about Mananthavady to Nidumpoil (was decent a couple of months ago). Excellent then on. Please note that Traffic not allowed between 6PM and 6AM on the Nagarhole forest stretch

Last edited by sandsun7 : 26th August 2013 at 09:24.
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 18:04   #1170
Senior - BHPian

Just came to Bangalore from Kannur in a friend's Chevrolet Spark. We took the following route:

Kannur- Mattannur-Iritty- Kootupuzha-Makkuta ghat-Virajpet-Siddapura-Maldare -Periyaptna-Hunsur-KRS road byepass-Srirangapatna-Maddur-Bangalore

Not much has changed since my last drive in May
Kannur-Mattannur has a lot of potholes now, but they are being repaired. Rain may play spoilsport though this week. Mattanur to the top of the ghat is in very good condition barring one or may be two potholes. There are a couple of HUGE potholes near Perumpadi lake, around 10km before Virajpet town. This is just outside the ghat stretch which was relaid two years ago. Virajpet to Siddapura is in excellent condition. Siddapura to Coorg border is decent. Beyond this point till Periyapatna town(9kms) is as it was earlier-bad with a lot of potholes. Surprisingly, I feel it has not worsened at all since May. In fact some big potholes seem to have been filled recently with mud and gravel mix. The stretch is pretty much doable even in a Low GC sedan if you are careful enough. The Spark I was traveling in (with 3 adults) bottomed out only at one point, just before joining Madikeri-Mysore highway near Periyapatna town.
For a change, tried the KRS road bye-pass to avoid Mysore. Some parts of this route have been recently relaid and some parts patched up, but still remains rough. There is virtually no road for around 500 meters just before Brindavan gardens turn off. Overall, not really satisfied. I will switch back to ORR during the next drive. Seems to be a better option any day.
Nothing new to update on Srirangapatna-Bangalore stretch. Same 4 lane road, same number of humps! But many parts of the road have been recently retarred and there are hardly any potholes. Today being a holiday and the fact that we hit the stretch around noon, traffic was very thin.
Will be driving my Punto to Kannur on the same route next Saturday.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks