Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2010, 08:33   #406
BHPian

@sbraj,

All the routes mentioned are alternate roads as the Gonikuppa - Perumpadi - Makkutta - Iritty roads is closed for repair. Once this road is open (Mostly by 30th April'10), the distance to Kannur will be reduced to ~320KMs.

About the options mentioned, here is the update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
1) BLR-Mysore-Madikeri-Bhagamandala-Panathur-Kanhangad-Kannur
This will be longest for reaching Kannur. ~460km. But if you are travelling north of Kannur, this is the prefered route. Road conditions is good.

Quote:
2) BLR-Mysore-Hampapura-Bavali-Kattikulam-Mananthavadi-Periya-Nedumpoyil-Koothuparamba-Kannur
3) BLR-Mysore-HD Kote-Nagarhole-Mananthavadi-Periya-Nedumpoyil-Koothuparamba-Kannur

Are 2 & 3 really different route? Or same route with different towns on the route mentioned in those options? I have same doubt with 4 & 5 also.
I think both are same. At present, this is most prefered route to Kannur even though there is a slight detour at the begining of the National park. Except the detour, the road condition is okey, but please be watchful about the roadhumps. The road is open 6am - 6pm. After Mananthawadi, you can go via Nedumpoyil - Koothuparamba - Kannur or Periya - Boys Town - Kottiyur - Irrity - Mattannur - Kannur. Roads are good for both routes.

Quote:
4) BLR-Mysore-Hunsur-Tithimatti-Gonikoppa-Kutta-Kattikulam-Mananthavadi-Periya-Boys Town-Kottiyoor-Peravoor-Iritty-Mattanur-Kannur
5) BLR-Mysore-Hunsur-Nagarhole-Kutta-Tholpatty-Kattikulam-Manandvadi-Nedumpoyil-Koothuparamba-Kannur
The option 4 is longer and open 24hrs with lots of bad stretches. Option 5 will cross the National Park, but still you will get the bad stretch of 4-6km at the border. Option 5 is closed 6pm to 6am.

Quote:
6) BLR-Mysore-Gundlupet-Sultan Bathery-Mananthavadi-Periya-Boys Town-Kottiyoor-Peravoor-Iritty-Mattanur-Kannur
7) BLR-Mysore-Gundlupet-Sultan Bathery-Beenachi-Nadavayal-Panamaram-Koyileri-Mananthavadi-Koothuparamba-Kannur
8) BLR-Mysore-Gundlupet-Sultan Bathery-Meenangadi-Panamaram-Mananthavadi-Palchuram ghat-Kottiyur-Irrity-Sreekantapuram-Taliparamba-Kannur
The roads are good, but you need to cross the muthanga ghat between 5:30am to 9pm. If going to Kannur, then option 8 is long. Prefer option 8 only if you are travelling north of Thalipparamba.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 12th March 2010, 06:09   #407
BHPian

Daily train to Kannur

As per the Asianet and Monorama News flash, the Yeshwanthpur -- Kannur train is daily now :-) This gives some relief to those who depends mostly the night bus services. The background for this decision is the recent K'taka high court verdict on banning the night travel through Bandipur national park
Old 12th March 2010, 06:11   #408
Senior - BHPian

Thanks RajeshK. I will mostly be taking below routes.

Onward : BLR-Mysore-Gundlupet-Sultan Bathery-Mananthavadi-Periya-Boys Town-Kottiyoor-Peravoor-Iritty-Mattanur-Kannur (Option 6)

Return : Kannur-Koothuparamba-Nedumpoyil-Periya-Mananthavadi-Nagarhole-HD Kote-Mysore-BLR (Option 3)

In terms of facilities (hotels & shops), how are the sections via Iritti and Koothuparamba? Distance wise, both are ~95 KMs. Correct me if I am wrong.

Also the Mananthavadi-HD Kote section? Any comments on the facilities available?
Old 12th March 2010, 13:16   #409
BHPian

Quote:
In terms of facilities (hotels & shops), how are the sections via Iritti and Koothuparamba? Distance wise, both are ~95 KMs. Correct me if I am wrong.

Also the Mananthavadi-HD Kote section? Any comments on the facilities available?
Within Kerala, you will get shops and restaurants at almost all places.

In the HD Kote road, after crossing Mysore expect good shops only after reaching Kerala Border which is around 70-80 km away.

PM me if you need any specific information.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 23rd March 2010, 10:50   #410
Senior - BHPian

RajeshK, thanks a ton for your post. In hindsight, your words turned out to be so crucial for my trip.

Quote:
At check post I verify that the check post is indeed open till 9 PM. I wonder if fellow BHPian RajeshK had not commented on the check post timings, I would have stayed in Kannur and started the next day. Each of his comments in his reply to me has turned out the extremely valuable. Hail RajeshK and TBHP.
Again, thanks. TBHP rocks!!!
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:07   #411
BHPian

sbraj,

Thanks, the timing information is from frequent travellers only. In your posting you have mentioned about the turn at Beenachi to Mananthawadi. I belief if you took the turn at Meenangadi, you might get little more good roads.

Thanks
Rajesh

Last edited by RajeshK : 23rd March 2010 at 12:09.
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:50   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
sbraj,

Thanks, the timing information is from frequent travellers only. In your posting you have mentioned about the turn at Beenachi to Mananthawadi. I belief if you took the turn at Meenangadi, you might get little more good roads.

Thanks
Rajesh
Yes, on my onward journey, I did not take turn at Meenangadi. I took that route on return trip and that definitely has better roads.

Which turn comes first? Turn at Beenachi or turn to Meenangadi? Even now I am confused. During the onward trip, I did not notice turn to Meenangadi . And for the return trip, I could not find the turn towards Beenachi either.
Old 24th March 2010, 09:27   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Which turn comes first? Turn at Beenachi or turn to Meenangadi? Even now I am confused. During the onward trip, I did not notice turn to Meenangadi . And for the return trip, I could not find the turn towards Beenachi either.
Beenachi comes first in the onwards journey. From Sulthan Bathery, beenachi is ~2km and Meenangadi is ~9km on the Kalpeta highway.

Most of the time, while coming from Mananthawadi to Sulthanbathery, you will tend to catch up the Beenachi route at Panamaram, which the left turn immediatly after the bridge.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 24th March 2010, 14:04   #414
BHPian

turn at Beenachi

Quote:
Beenachi comes first in the onwards journey. From Sulthan Bathery, beenachi is ~2km and Meenangadi is ~9km on the Kalpeta highway.

Most of the time, while coming from Mananthawadi to Sulthanbathery, you will tend to catch up the Beenachi route at Panamaram, which the left turn immediatly after the bridge.

Thanks
Rajesh
And to add, It is very easy to miss the turn towards Beenachi when you are traveling from Batheri towards manathavati. Soon after Batheri, there is a small road towards right which runs parallel to the Batheri meenangadi route for about 50 meters or so. Once you enter that route, there are somany "Y" intersections. But the good part is, you can take towards right on all those "Y " intersections till you reach Manathavati.

While returning, it is easy. As soon as you cross Panamaram bridge, take a sharp left turn and you are on the correct route.

Prince
Old 27th March 2010, 07:07   #415
BHPian

As per yesterday's Mathrubhumi news paper, the Makkutta road will be partially opened for traffic from first week of April. Parially means only to cars and other small vehicles.
Regards,
Sarin
Old 27th March 2010, 23:33   #416

Any idea from when exactly we can start using this road for cars....the report says first week of April.
Old 28th March 2010, 00:43   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarinkumar View Post
As per yesterday's Mathrubhumi news paper, the Makkutta road will be partially opened for traffic from first week of April. Parially means only to cars and other small vehicles.
Regards,
Sarin

Will take this road on the way to kannur in the second week of April.

Detail report with pics guaranteed
Old 3rd April 2010, 15:22   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithinnarayanan View Post
Will take this road on the way to kannur in the second week of April.

Detail report with pics guaranteed
Nitin, when are you planning to drive? Any recent update as first week of April is already over

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 3rd April 2010, 23:33   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Nitin, when are you planning to drive? Any recent update as first week of April is already over

Thanks
Rajesh

The road was open on the 1st of April, but was closed the same day after a big issue created by the locals on the non completion of the work.

The latest update is that the asphalting work is in progress and only 8 out of the total 16 kms in complete. Base work for 5kms is only half done. Drain work on either sides of the road is only 20% complete. Concreting the road on the curves is only 50% complete.

The work is happening at a snails pace, with only 4 trucks, one roller, 2 levelers and 2 tractors with water tankers. Saw only about 25 people working on the entire stretch.

They have got an extension for one more month for the completion of work. I dont think at this pace they will be able to complete it within 25 days.

If it is not completed before June 2010 (start of monsoons) then this road will only be a dream.

I have lost hope on this road. And am doubtful that it can be open to public this year !
Old 5th April 2010, 06:35   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithinnarayanan View Post
The road was open on the 1st of April, but was closed the same day after a big issue created by the locals on the non completion of the work.

The latest update is that the asphalting work is in progress and only 8 out of the total 16 kms in complete. Base work for 5kms is only half done. Drain work on either sides of the road is only 20% complete. Concreting the road on the curves is only 50% complete.

The work is happening at a snails pace, with only 4 trucks, one roller, 2 levelers and 2 tractors with water tankers. Saw only about 25 people working on the entire stretch.

They have got an extension for one more month for the completion of work. I dont think at this pace they will be able to complete it within 25 days.

If it is not completed before June 2010 (start of monsoons) then this road will only be a dream.

I have lost hope on this road. And am doubtful that it can be open to public this year !
This is really bad and sad news. I still hope they will take this work seriously and give some relief to the people travelling to Northern Kerala
Regards,
Sarin

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks