Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2009, 09:25   #271
BHPian

On 4th Sept'09, I came back from Payyanur. Took the usual Irritty - Kottiyur - Manathawadi - Kattikkulam - Kutta - Nagarhole - Hunsur route. At many places within Kerala, the roads are damaged due to heavy rain. Those who are taking the Kottiyur - Boy's Town - Palchuram route, please be careful the bad roads and steep uphill. From Kattikkulam to Kutta, roads are not in good shape specially the stretch after kerala border.

I heard that Nitin is in Kannur now, and can expect more updates once he is back to Bangalore
Old 16th September 2009, 16:14   #272
BHPian

I am planning a trip to coorg this coming weekend (sep 20th). How are the latest road conditions and what would be the recommended route. Most likely I will take the civic. I hope the car can manage.

Any recommendations?
Old 16th September 2009, 16:20   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
I am planning a trip to coorg this coming weekend (sep 20th). How are the latest road conditions and what would be the recommended route. Most likely I will take the civic. I hope the car can manage.

Any recommendations?

Coorg have different routes, where exactly you want to go in coorg ?
Old 16th September 2009, 17:31   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez02 View Post
Coorg have different routes, where exactly you want to go in coorg ?
Not sure yet but am searching for places in and around madikeri
Old 16th September 2009, 19:10   #275
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore-Madikeri is pretty straightforward route, with the new road from Mysore - Bantwal being a delight. It is only when you reach close to Madikeri that the road goes bad.
Old 16th September 2009, 21:17   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Bangalore-Madikeri is pretty straightforward route, with the new road from Mysore - Bantwal being a delight. It is only when you reach close to Madikeri that the road goes bad.
can you point me to a map or a more detailed description of the route? Also is this route through hunsur?
Old 17th September 2009, 13:41   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
can you point me to a map or a more detailed description of the route? Also is this route through hunsur?
Ok so I finalized my destination. I will be going to java hills at kadagadal (close to madikeri).
So which route is preferable. Car is going to be civic (with low GC). Please advise with details.
Old 17th September 2009, 21:52   #278
Senior - BHPian

Don't try the Hassan route, it might be a torture on the civic, whichever ghat you chose.

I think the best and shortest route is Mysore-Maddur-Mandya-Srirangapatna-Hunsur-Periyapatna-Kushalnagar-Madikeri. Instead of taking Mysore bypass at Srirangapatna, you could also go into Mysore and then take the Bantwal road.

SOmewhere after Kushalnagar, the road gets bad and you have to tread carefully. Roads around Madikeri should be broken and so, take care.
Old 17th September 2009, 22:32   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Don't try the Hassan route, it might be a torture on the civic, whichever ghat you chose.

I think the best and shortest route is Mysore-Maddur-Mandya-Srirangapatna-Hunsur-Periyapatna-Kushalnagar-Madikeri. Instead of taking Mysore bypass at Srirangapatna, you could also go into Mysore and then take the Bantwal road.

SOmewhere after Kushalnagar, the road gets bad and you have to tread carefully. Roads around Madikeri should be broken and so, take care.
Yes I spoke to the homestay owners and they advised the same route as above. He mentioned that between madikeri and kushalnagar the road is very bad.
Then fellow BHPiam Zahed called and he said that from Kushalnagar, I can take the road to dubare and from there the road to madikeri. This route although narrow is better quality. So this is what I will probably do.

On another note, will be in madikeri this sat,sun and mon. If anyone wants to meet up I am game. How about a late night meetup (can leave wife and kids at homestay and venture out)
Old 8th October 2009, 09:48   #280
BHPian

Route Enquiry : Bangalore - Kannur - Guruvayoor

Okay, so within less than a month of my last drive <Bangalore-Gokarna> I'm out on the road again. And as predicted this time it's Kerala. Planning to drive my folks to their native towns <near Kannur> and then to Guruvayoor.

As before, I have done a basic research on the routes and here is what I have so far :

Bangalore - Mandya - Mysore - Gundlupet - Sultan Bathery - Mananthvady - Koothuparamba - Kannur

Kannur - Thalassery - Kozhikode - Kuttipuram - Ponnani - Chavakkad - Guruvayoor

Guruvayoor - Kunnamkulam - Pattambi - Pernithalmanna - Nilambur - Gudalur - Gundlupet - Mysore - Mandya - Bangalore

Queries :

1 - Opinions and suggestions on routes.
2 - Road conditions from Bangalore to Kannur.
3 - Road condition of NH17 from Kannur to Guruvayoor.
4 - Good hotels for accomodation in Kannur. <Currently thinking of Malabar Residency. Any other suggestions?>

Also, I plan to leave Bangalore at 6 AM. I would really appreciate if someone could give me a few good breakfast/lunch options on the Bangalore - Kannur route.

Thanks in advance.

~Morgul

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th October 2009 at 10:07. Reason: Please continue here. Thanks
Old 9th October 2009, 08:44   #281
BHPian

Bangalore - Mandya - Mysore - Gundlupet - Sultan Bathery - Mananthvady - Koothuparamba - Kannur

Guruvayoor - Kunnamkulam - Pattambi - Pernithalmanna - Nilambur - Gudalur - Gundlupet - Mysore - Mandya - Bangalore

Do you have the distances of this route? As i have to plan to go to thallasery /guruvayoor sometime. When do you plan to leave?

Have an happy & safe journey.
Old 9th October 2009, 10:25   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post

Do you have the distances of this route? As i have to plan to go to thallasery /guruvayoor sometime. When do you plan to leave?

Have an happy & safe journey.
I dont have the exact distances. But from what I gathered from the net, here is a rough picture

Bangalore - Kannur - 380kms
Kannur - Guruvayoor - 180kms
Guruvayoor - Bangalore - 400kms

I'm planning to leave on 17th of this month.

Safe and happy journey to you too.. ^^

~Morgul
Old 20th October 2009, 08:07   #283
BHPian

Any update of the road work at Perumpadi - Makkutta Road?

All,

Any one has update on the road work in the Permpadi - Makkutta sector of the Virajpet - Irritty Road?

This supposed to be open by Dec'09-Jan'10 as per the court verdict. I hope the contractor will ready to honour this court order.

@Nitin, any update...?

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 20th October 2009, 08:48   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
All,

Any one has update on the road work in the Permpadi - Makkutta sector of the Virajpet - Irritty Road?

This supposed to be open by Dec'09-Jan'10 as per the court verdict. I hope the contractor will ready to honour this court order.

@Nitin, any update...?

Thanks
Rajesh

The work was stopped for some time, but has started on a slow pace.

The latest update is that the road is still not open to public.

I dont think the road will be open by Dec 09.

Will give more updates on the same in the 1st/2nd week on November.
Old 20th October 2009, 15:38   #285
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Take the outer ring road in Mysore to link up to the Hunsur road. The Srirangapatna by bypass is not all that great. ORR will be very fast and the road is also very good.

The road till Kushalnagar is a delight. After that only trouble starts. That is about 40KM I think.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks