Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2009, 20:10   #346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn12 View Post
Rajesh, the updated in bold says 9Am on option 4 (Beyond 9am, the road is closed at Muthanga ghat), I think its should be 9PM correct me if i am wrong

Cheers, Nitin
Nitin, you are right...!! thanks a lot for the correction..!!
Old 11th December 2009, 12:08   #347
Senior - BHPian

am driving down to Bangalore tomorrow and decided to take following route
(as suggested by many in this forum):

Kannur, Kuthuparambu, Nedumpoyil, Mananthavadi,Kattikulam, Tholpatty, Kutta,
Nagarhole, Hunsur, Mysore - Bangalore.

Will update after the trip.
Old 11th December 2009, 13:53   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithinnarayanan View Post
Yes Sir,
I am planning to leave the SS80 @ Kannur for some time. Let dad play with it for some time .
Will update my Garage once the restoration work is done.
Till that time here is a teaser.
OT

Nitin,

You need to give us a chance to see the SS80 before you leave for Kannur . Calls for a 'Kannur meet in Bangalore'

-Sanjay
Old 11th December 2009, 21:50   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
am driving down to Bangalore tomorrow and decided to take following route
(as suggested by many in this forum):

Kannur, Kuthuparambu, Nedumpoyil, Mananthavadi,Kattikulam, Tholpatty, Kutta,
Nagarhole, Hunsur, Mysore - Bangalore.

Will update after the trip.
Nair Saab, How long you will be here in bangalore...? Please PM me if any you require any help. Happy journey..!!

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 12th December 2009, 00:43   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
OT

Nitin,

You need to give us a chance to see the SS80 before you leave for Kannur . Calls for a 'Kannur meet in Bangalore'

-Sanjay
Sure, When and Where ?

Nithin
Old 12th December 2009, 15:52   #351
BHPian

Has anyone taken this route?

(1) Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet

(2) Gundlupet-Bandipur-Gudalur-Nilambur-Areekode-Calicut

Took this from another post, I am driving down today
Old 14th December 2009, 10:50   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Nair Saab, How long you will be here in bangalore...? Please PM me if any you require any help. Happy journey..!!

Thanks
Rajesh
++
Sorry .. I didnt see your above post which seems you sent on 11th 21.50hours. After a gap of two days, I just opened the computer and seen this post. I reached Bangalore at 1600hours on 12th and left Bangalore at 0830hours on 13th. I had a meet with @shajufx and unni.ak on the 12th evening.
Lets see if we can meet next time.
Thanks
Old 14th December 2009, 11:06   #353
Senior - BHPian

On 12th morning 0620 hours, I left for Bangalore on my Fiesta.

I took following route:

Payyannur - Kannur - kuthuparambu -Nedumpoyil - Mananthavadi =130kms
Mananthavadi - Kattikulam -Tholpatty - kutta - Mysore =120kms
Mysore -srirangapatna - Mandiya - Bangalore = 147kms (upto Bangalore Adugodi circle).

(Th Road starting from kerala Border through the forest area to mysore -Road repair work is going on hence need to take diversion through the villages and the roads were very bad and took more than 45 minutes to complete the diversion)

Return via different Route:

Bangalore - Mysore
at mysore, took the outer ring road (marked to ooty/calicut) via Nanjagadu, Gundlepet - Sultanbattery - Mananthavady - took the palchuram hill -to climb down(in between the roads were bad)-kottiyur -
irrity - Srrekantapuram - Thaliparamba-Payyannur =Total 429 kms.

The road upto Nanjagadu is little patchy but from gundlepet to sultanbattery good roads. No traffic, can cruise more than 120kms avarage.
Old 14th December 2009, 12:19   #354
BHPian

Hi Nair Saab, thanks for the update. Will catch you in Payyanur after 25th Dec'09. Mean while I just came across one news in Hindu -> The Hindu : Karnataka / Madikeri News : Konanur-Virajpet-Makutta road project work to start soon

It says "This road would connect the Makutta road, being laid at a cost of Rs. 28 crore, the sources said. Makutta road is a vital road link between Karnataka and Kerala. The Karnataka High Court had set a deadline asking the Public Works Department, which is taking up the project, to complete it by December 31, 2009. However, the Public Works Department is likely to seek some more time."

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 14th December 2009, 12:50   #355
Senior - BHPian

I was told that the virajpet stretch is already under repair work and may be it will
open for traffic in a month or so (not 100% sure about this route). But if this road becomes good for traffic, then this may be easiest route between kannur/kasaragode and mysore?
Old 14th December 2009, 13:16   #356
BHPian

Quote:
On 12th morning 0620 hours, I left for Bangalore on my Fiesta.

I took following route:

Payyannur - Kannur - kuthuparambu -Nedumpoyil - Mananthavadi =130kms
Mananthavadi - Kattikulam -Tholpatty - kutta - Mysore =120kms
Mysore -srirangapatna - Mandiya - Bangalore = 147kms (upto Bangalore Adugodi circle).

(Th Road starting from kerala Border through the forest area to mysore -Road repair work is going on hence need to take diversion through the villages and the roads were very bad and took more than 45 minutes to complete the diversion)

Return via different Route:

Bangalore - Mysore
at mysore, took the outer ring road (marked to ooty/calicut) via Nanjagadu, Gundlepet - Sultanbattery - Mananthavady - took the palchuram hill -to climb down(in between the roads were bad)-kottiyur -
irrity - Srrekantapuram - Thaliparamba-Payyannur =Total 429 kms.

The road upto Nanjagadu is little patchy but from gundlepet to sultanbattery good roads. No traffic, can cruise more than 120kms avarage.
Nair saab,

A new member here. Need your advice. Am going from Bangalore to Kannur on Dec 25th. Planning on leaving home as early as possible - 6:30 or 7:00 a.m. With my driving style and philosophy, I will probably reach Mysore by 9:30 a.m., Gundlupet by 11:00 a.m. and Battery by 12:30 p.m. How is the road from Battery to Mananthavady via Meenangadi? How is the road condition from Mananthavady to Kannur? Can I hope to to reach Kannur by 4:30 p.m?

On the way back plan to find a homestay somewhere near Kutta. If I leave Kannur by say 10:00 a.m. can I hope to reach Kutta by 3:30 p.m.?

Some unsolicited advice from my side. Doing 120 kmph in a forest road may not be in the interest of the wildlife. I'm not sure even a deer has those sort of reflexes, let alone an elephant. Sorry if this offends you, but as a wildlife lover, I had to speak up .
Old 14th December 2009, 13:44   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_yajaman View Post
Nair saab,

A new member here. Need your advice. Am going from Bangalore to Kannur on Dec 25th. Planning on leaving home as early as possible - 6:30 or 7:00 a.m. With my driving style and philosophy, I will probably reach Mysore by 9:30 a.m., Gundlupet by 11:00 a.m. and Battery by 12:30 p.m. How is the road from Battery to Mananthavady via Meenangadi? How is the road condition from Mananthavady to Kannur? Can I hope to to reach Kannur by 4:30 p.m?

On the way back plan to find a homestay somewhere near Kutta. If I leave Kannur by say 10:00 a.m. can I hope to reach Kutta by 3:30 p.m.?

Some unsolicited advice from my side. Doing 120 kmph in a forest road may not be in the interest of the wildlife. I'm not sure even a deer has those sort of reflexes, let alone an elephant. Sorry if this offends you, but as a wildlife lover, I had to speak up .
Hey Buddy welcome to Tbhp,

I am leaving for kannur on 25th early morning @ 4 AM and will be taking the Nagarahole route.
This is the best and the shortest route to kannur. (around 370 Kms)

If you want you can join our convoy (2 cars)

We are planning to reach kannur latest by 10.30am.

Regarding the trip back, you will be able to reach Kutta by 3.30pm. Suggest you to take the Kannur~Chalore~Mattanur~Iritty~Peravoor~Nedumpoyil ~Mananthavady~Kartikulam~Kutta.

Regards
Nithin

Last edited by nithinnarayanan : 14th December 2009 at 13:50.
Old 14th December 2009, 14:39   #358
BHPian

Nithin,

Thanks for the offer mate. I'll let it pass - in both our interests. I don't fancy driving in the dark on unlit roads. And if you really want to reach Kannur in those sort of times, you would best leave me out of your convoy .

I plan to take the Nagarahole route on the way back from Kutta. If I leave Kutta at 9:30 or so I think I could doa leisurely drive through the forest with the hope of seeing some wildlife. On the way to Kannur, I think I will stick to Battery and Mananthavady. From Mananthavady, based on the threads above there are two options :-

a. Via Periya, Nedumpoyil and Koothuparamba and then onto Kannur on SH38 (Google maps says so)
b. Via Iritty and Mattanur.

Are they both reasonably motorable? Would 3 - 3.5 hrs be enough for Mananthavady to Kannur?

Thanks and regards,
Srivathsa
Old 14th December 2009, 14:41   #359
BHPian

Quote:
I was told that the virajpet stretch is already under repair work and may be it will
open for traffic in a month or so (not 100% sure about this route). But if this road becomes good for traffic, then this may be easiest route between kannur/kasaragode and mysore?
Should be. The distance from Bangalore to Payyanur will be reduced to 330km. (Bangalore ~ Srirangapattina ~ Hunsur ~ Gonikoppal ~ Perumbadi ~ Makkutta ~ Koottupuzha ~ Irikkur ~ Thalipparamba ~ Payyanur)

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 14th December 2009, 14:55   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_yajaman View Post
Nair saab,

+
I did not go via meenagadi from s.bathery to Mananthavadi, instead I took a right turn after s.bathery (you can see the signages to m.vadi/kannur etc), but the roads are not that good (you cannot go over 60kmph and lot of potholes in places also narrow roads). However I was told that via meenangadi is better and you will reach fast.

REgarding driving at 120kmph in the forest area. Yes agree, but I hardly seen any elephant or deer except few monkeys here and there. But the roads were very good (intermitent speed breakers are there) and no traffic at all.

Yes if you leave by 6.30pm, you should be able to reach kannur before 4pm with one hour break for tea/lunch?.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks