Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2010, 10:55   #541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmello View Post
1. - blr - mys- gonikoppa - perambadi - irriti - koothuparamba- kannur ( distance approx 230 km from mysore)
Are you sure on the distance in KM...? I belief it will be around 180 only (B'cose BLR- Gonikkuppa - makkuta - Irrity - Kannur is close to 310KM, and BLR-Mysore is ~140KM). Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 3rd September 2010, 12:40   #542
BHPian

hi
yes, the distance is correct. mysore irrity is 132 km via, gonikoppa, makutta. so from irrity to kannur ia approx 60 km
Old 3rd September 2010, 12:41   #543
BHPian

hi
lastly, take car only if it is really needed. else bus or train is ideal. car gets hit very very badly
Old 3rd September 2010, 13:38   #544
BHPian

Quote:
hi
yes, the distance is correct. mysore irrity is 132 km via, gonikoppa, makutta. so from irrity to kannur ia approx 60 km

Iritty > Kannur should be ~ 45 kms (iritty > mattanur is 16; mattanur > kannur is 27)
Old 5th September 2010, 20:32   #545
Senior - BHPian

Did a Bangalore - Thalassery - Bangalore run over Friday & Saturday. It was an emergency drive and thank to this thread for giving me last minute pointers.

The route map, that you can use with GoogleMap, is here.

From Bangalore to Hunsur and from there took the exit off SH88 towards Veerajpet. Passed thru Gonikopal, then Veerajpet, took the ghat road, which is in very very good shape now, and then toward Thalassery. 5 hours drive.

Advices:

- Road from SH88 to Gonikopal is single lane and not good. Had pot holes and when oncoming traffic you will have to go down.

- Road from Gonikopal to Veerajpet will be an issue for cars with low clearance or cars that are fully loaded. Avoid it, if so, else, drive very very carefully.

- The ghat has been well laid and hence we have lot of Schumacher there. Regardless of you standing on your horns, they like to come in silent and in your track! Nuts! And yes, in some places the roads are narrow and the bankings are not proper and there are huge drops. Drive very very carefully and do not get tempted!

This was a road which was totally non-existent 2 years back, when I did the same route in my Alto! Add a good amount of rain to that equation! But now, good weather and the road is as below:
Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-imag0199.jpg

Last edited by HappyWheels : 5th September 2010 at 20:33.
Old 6th September 2010, 12:46   #546
BHPian

Quote:
hi
lastly, take car only if it is really needed. else bus or train is ideal. car gets hit very very badly
hmm. now i am getting worried after this post, i am travelling with my family on 16th, are the roads really so bad ?
[Bangalore~Srirangapattana~Yelawala~Hunsur~Tithimat ti~Gonikoppa~Perumpady~Maakuta~Kootupuzha~Iritty~M attanur~Chalode~Kannur]
Old 7th September 2010, 09:35   #547
BHPian

im sure you will regret taking the car. even if it is a land crusier. take train all the way to kannur.
Old 7th September 2010, 10:44   #548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
im sure you will regret taking the car. even if it is a land crusier. take train all the way to kannur.
That, my friend, is definitely an exaggeration!

I rather enjoyed the drive, after having been driving only on well paved roads for a long time.
Old 7th September 2010, 12:58   #549
Senior - BHPian

Driving to Kannur on Sep 10th

Hi,

I am planning to drive to Kannur (near parassinikkadavu) on September 10th with my wife and 8 month okd daughter. Is Bangalore~Srirangapattana~Yelawala~Hunsur~Tithimat ti~Gonikoppa~Perumpady~Maakuta~Kootupuzha~Iritty~M attanur~Chalode~Kannur the best route (read fastest)?

Are there any decent hotels on the way?

Thanks,

Pramod
Old 7th September 2010, 14:27   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Hi,

I am planning to drive to Kannur (near parassinikkadavu) on September 10th with my wife and 8 month okd daughter. Is Bangalore~Srirangapattana~Yelawala~Hunsur~Tithimat ti~Gonikoppa~Perumpady~Maakuta~Kootupuzha~Iritty~M attanur~Chalode~Kannur the best route (read fastest)?

Thanks,

Pramod
Pramod,
What time you are leaving B'lore?? I am also travelling on the same day. Planning to start from B'lore around 2:30pm.

Regarding the route, it will be little long if you are going via Mattanur - Kannur. There is a short cut from Irikkoor (Take left just before Irikkor town), but I hv never travelled this route, and don't know the direction. If you want to take a try, you can.

Otherwise, try, Iritty - Srikantapuram - Thalipparamba - Dharmasala - Parassinikkadavu.

If you are joining with me, please let me know.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 7th September 2010, 15:01   #551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
That, my friend, is definitely an exaggeration!

I rather enjoyed the drive, after having been driving only on well paved roads for a long time.
thx Happywheels , i think i will go ahead with this same route ..hopefully it wont be as bad
Old 7th September 2010, 15:03   #552
BHPian

Quote:

hi Pramod, after reading through this thread i arrived at this route , i guess its the best not sure about shortcuts though, i suggest you stick to this .
Old 7th September 2010, 17:19   #553
Senior - BHPian

Road condition in some stretches are bad but nothing much to worry about it if you are not driving in the night. Take your car, I recently did 2 trips in my Spark and planning to do again by mid of this month.
Old 7th September 2010, 17:43   #554
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot for the responses.

@RajeshK - I plan to start by 5:00 AM on September 10th.
Old 7th September 2010, 19:43   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the responses.

@RajeshK - I plan to start by 5:00 AM on September 10th.
Pramod,

My cousin and his friend (with family) is travelling on the same day around this time. They could give company up to Thalipparamba as they are going to Payyanur.

PM, me if you need any assistance from them.

Thanks
Rajesh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks