Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2010, 16:17   #526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad75 View Post

after gonikoppa you will see another y intersection the left goes to makutta and the right goes to virajpet.you have to take left. this road leads to koothupuzha(thats where you enter kerala from).
Y intersection - the place is called 'Vittangal'(??!!!) .

land marks: There is a bus waiting shelter at this intersection
I think there also a big advertising board

Take left to bypass Virajpet town.

I am starting from Bangalore on sunday early morning.

Last edited by Latheesh : 20th August 2010 at 16:20.
Old 20th August 2010, 20:05   #527
BHPian

Rajeshk, ad75, Lateesh. Many thanks for clarifying the route. I've got it all written down.
Rajesh- thanks for sharing your number. Will trouble you with a call in case I think I'm off route.
This is my first time driving to Kannur from Bangalore ( i've done a Mumbai- kannur trip last year) so I'm pretty excited. Also this is my first time during Onam in Kerala - even though I used to visit every year when in school during summer. But never ever got a chance in so many years to visit during onam. I've bought about 10 kilos of flowers from kr market today to carry along for the decorations.
Ad75 - I have MMI and navteq maps on my garmin. But both dont have koothupuzha ( however I spell it)
Old 21st August 2010, 11:50   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Y intersection - the place is called 'Vittangal'(??!!!) .

land marks: There is a bus waiting shelter at this intersection
I think there also a big advertising board

Take left to bypass Virajpet town.

I am starting from Bangalore on sunday early morning.
+1
there is a small milestone at this intersection with makutta and iritty written on it with distances.

am not sure of the name of the place.
Old 31st August 2010, 09:11   #529
BHPian

Any update on the road condition by those went to native during Onam?? Due to the heavy monsoon, I believe patholes started to appear..is it?

Saw few updates in the malayalalam daily -> Kannur District News,Local News,???????? ,Regional News- Mathrubhumi (Road was blocked after a big tree falling)
Kannur District News,mattannoor Local News,???????? ,??????????? ,???? ????????: ????????-????????? ????????? ???????? (Thalassery - Koottupuzha road damaged at many places..)

I am planning to go native next week, any update on the condition is highly appreciated.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 31st August 2010, 10:49   #530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Any update on the road condition by those went to native during Onam?? Due to the heavy monsoon, I believe patholes started to appear..is it?

Saw few updates in the malayalalam daily -> Kannur District News,Local News,???????? ,Regional News- Mathrubhumi (Road was blocked after a big tree falling)
Kannur District News,mattannoor Local News,???????? ,??????????? ,???? ????????: ????????-????????? ????????? ???????? (Thalassery - Koottupuzha road damaged at many places..)

I am planning to go native next week, any update on the condition is highly appreciated.

Thanks
Rajesh
  • Iritty - Mattanur road is horirible - lots of potholes that slow you down.
  • Mattanur - Kannur is very good.
  • Mattanur - Thalassery is ok.
  • From Bangalore till Iritty is good; expect few pot holes after Thithimathi turn off till Makkootta.
Rajesh, when are you leaving? I'm planning Iritty - Bangalore Sunday morning.
Old 31st August 2010, 11:31   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
Rajesh, when are you leaving? I'm planning Iritty - Bangalore Sunday morning.

Sanjay, Thanks a lot for the information. As of now, my plan is on 11th Sept'10 (friday) and leaving B'lore by 3pm. Return yet to decide.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 2nd September 2010, 12:46   #532
BHPian

hi guys , this post is really helpful, i am also planning to travel to Kannur on 15th Sept , last couple of times i took the mysore-sultanbattery route , it was abt 400 kms ..pretty long compared to this route as mentioned by you guys .
Bangalore~Srirangapattana~Yelawala~Hunsur~Tithimat ti~Gonikoppa~Perumpady~Maakuta~Kootupuzha~Iritty~M attanur~Chalode~Kannur

will check and update you abt the road condition after i am back, meanwhile Rajesh if you can updated the road condition before 15th it would be helpful.
thx
Old 2nd September 2010, 13:16   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbr1304 View Post
Bangalore~Srirangapattana~Yelawala~Hunsur~Tithimat ti~Gonikoppa~Perumpady~Maakuta~Kootupuzha~Iritty~M attanur~Chalode~Kannur

will check and update you abt the road condition after i am back, meanwhile Rajesh if you can updated the road condition before 15th it would be helpful.
thx
Sure, mean while if you are travelling north of Kannur suggest you to take Iritty - Sreekantapuram - Thalipparamba otherwise take turn at at Irikkoor. The Iritty - Mattannur is not in good condition as per the local newspapers.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 2nd September 2010, 13:53   #534
BHPian

Definitely agree - the iritty-> mattanur road was horrible to say the least. Although the punto handled it better than my santro would have , I bottomed out atleast a couple of times.
Also - the road from srirangapatna bypassing mysore to reach Hunsur,Gonikoppa is pretty badly damaged in certain stretches.

The kootupuzha - makutta stretch is like a dream. Beautiful hills - theres one spot with a lake on the right and with hilly vegetation in the background thats seems out of this world. Will post a pic - words dont do justice.

Last edited by milestogo : 2nd September 2010 at 13:58. Reason: Add some more info
Old 2nd September 2010, 14:22   #535
BHPian

kootupuzha makutta stretch during onam

This is the stretch that I was talking about
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-21082010012.jpg  

Old 2nd September 2010, 14:41   #536
BHPian

nice picture, am going to kannur town proper, so i think mattanur is the only option.
if the roads are really bad what do u suggest ?
Old 2nd September 2010, 14:50   #537
Senior - BHPian

Road condition:
Bangalore-Srirangapattana - Very good with decent number of spead breakers
Srirangapattana - Yelwala - Hunsur - decent till you reach Mysore-Madikeri road (speed I managed 10-80 on this streach), Once you are on Mysore-Madikeri road it is very good.
Hunsur-Gonikoppa : Not very good speed you can do from 10-80. Few very bad patches at some places.

Gonikoppa-Vittingal (turn) - Decent road

Vittingal-Makkutta : single lane bad streatch. But saves time.

Makkutta-Kuttupuzha: Very good, newly opened road. You can feel that you are approaching Kerala; Please do not go outside asphalted surfaces.

Kuttupuzha-Iritty-Mattanur - road condition is bad, expect some deep potholes

Mattanur-Kannur: 2 lane road, but excellent

Last edited by Latheesh : 2nd September 2010 at 14:51.
Old 2nd September 2010, 20:36   #538
BHPian

Milestogo, I think this lake is at Perumbadi, just after the checkpost in the right side..right..?

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 2nd September 2010, 23:09   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Milestogo, I think this lake is at Perumbadi, just after the checkpost in the right side..right..?
Yes Rajesh - right after the checkpost.
Old 3rd September 2010, 10:26   #540
BHPian

hi
returned to mysore from kannur last night. my advise on the route is
blr- mysore - H D kote hand post - bawli - manandavadi- koothupuramba- kannur. staright forward, no issue with the sign posts too.
total distance from mysore is approx 198 kms till kannur main junction from mysore.
road condition: mysore to H D kote hand post is excellent.the stretch inside the forest ( about 12 kms) is very bad and needs extra care. bawli to manandavadi is good. from m vadi to kannur is horrible. absolut night mare for any cars incld SUV and buses. even gods cannot save kerala's worst road conditions.
alternatively, you can do a round about
1. - blr - mys- gonikoppa - perambadi - irriti - koothuparamba- kannur ( distance approx 230 km from mysore)
2. - blr- mysore- gundalpet- bathery - koothuparamba- kannur ( approx 240 km from mysore)
3. blr- mys- hunsur- nagarhole forest - kutta - thodapuzha - manadavadi - koothuparamba- kannur ( 210 km from mys)
lastly going by bus makes lot of sense as it is very likely that evry part of car gets hit in kerala roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks