Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2013, 19:19   #1141
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Came back from Payyanur last day. Took Hunsur - Periyapatna - Siddapura - Virajpet - Iritty - Mattanur - Kannur - Payyanur while going and took Thalipparamba - Sreekantapuram - Irikur - Iritty - Virajpet - Periyapatna - Hunsur for return.

Srirangapatna byepass is in good shape except for the 100mts just after the KRS turn. The road just after Periyapatna towards Siddapura is getting worsen day by day. There are big potholes now and you need to be very careful in case of low GC sedan. After this, road is very good except few pothole in the beginning of the ghat section and one big pothole after Makkutta (just after the culvert after the concreted section)
RajeshK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 21:03   #1142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
...The road just after Periyapatna towards Siddapura is getting worsen day by day. There are big potholes now and you need to be very careful in case of low GC sedan.
Hmmm. I plan to drive to Kerala mid-next week. And I drive a Punto. Any information about the progress of Hunsur - Gonikoppal road work. Is it stopped due to rains or going on?
Old 16th July 2013, 23:41   #1143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by igniteddriver View Post
Hmmm. I plan to drive to Kerala mid-next week. And I drive a Punto. Any information about the progress of Hunsur - Gonikoppal road work. Is it stopped due to rains or going on?
I had the misfortune of travelling on this route on Sunday. It is absolutely terrible, the 40kms stretch took us 2 hours. Lots of potholes are as big as a hatch. Once you cross into Coorg, roads get much much better. But the Mysore part of the road is just moon surface.

I suggest you drive until Piriyapatna and then take left towards Gonikoppal. That road will reach right at the Coorg border forest check post. This road can be seen on Google map.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 09:01   #1144
BHPian

Planning to drive down to Virajpet last weekend of August 2013 from bangalore. Is the bangalore-mysore-hunsur-periyapatna-siddapura-ammathi-virajpet the best option?

Or should I go till Kushalnagar and then turn towards siddapura

I drive a honda city (with bigger tyres though - so better than the default one which has low ground clearance)
Old 17th July 2013, 11:00   #1145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupkma View Post
Planning to drive down to Virajpet last weekend of August 2013 from bangalore. Is the bangalore-mysore-hunsur-periyapatna-siddapura-ammathi-virajpet the best option?

Or should I go till Kushalnagar and then turn towards siddapura

I drive a honda city (with bigger tyres though - so better than the default one which has low ground clearance)
In the Periyapatna - Siddapura section, roads are bad in the initial ~10kms. In this, the last 1-2kms of these are really bad, still you can manage with any car if you driving during day time. If you wanted to avoid this, go till Kushalanagar from Periyapatna and take turn towards Siddapura, this will cost you additional 25-35 minutes easily.
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 08:46   #1146
BHPian

Quote:
In the Periyapatna - Siddapura section, roads are bad in the initial ~10kms. In this, the last 1-2kms of these are really bad, still you can manage with any car if you driving during day time. If you wanted to avoid this, go till Kushalanagar from Periyapatna and take turn towards Siddapura, this will cost you additional 25-35 minutes easily.
Thanks Rajesh. That was helpful.

Couple of follow up questions

- You mentioned that the first 10 kms on the periyapatna stretch is bad with the last 2 of that first 10 especially bad. Does the road improve after that till Virjapet ?
- You also mentioned that if I go up to KushalNagar and then take the Siddapura route from there it will cost me an additional 30 minutes. Do you know the road condition?
- I am going to the new Club Mahindra resort there. The address mentioned is Palangala Village, Karada Post. I am yet to check with them where exactly in Virajpet this is. Any idea?
Old 18th July 2013, 19:08   #1147
BHPian

@anupkma - I'm driving there next weekend, so will be able to provide you with the update with my trial run! I managed to google the directions for Palangala village: http://goo.gl/maps/oonVN

Guys: For Virapet, do you suggest Periyapatna-Siddapura or Periyapatna-Gonikoppa? Appreciate your help with the latest updates!
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 22:36   #1148
BHPian

Quote:
- You mentioned that the first 10 kms on the periyapatna stretch is bad with the last 2 of that first 10 especially bad. Does the road improve after that till Virjapet ?
Yes, only these initial KMs are bad, afterwards its in great shape.

Quote:
- You also mentioned that if I go up to KushalNagar and then take the Siddapura route from there it will cost me an additional 30 minutes. Do you know the road condition?
Yes, roads are very good

Quote:
- I am going to the new Club Mahindra resort there. The address mentioned is Palangala Village, Karada Post. I am yet to check with them where exactly in Virajpet this is. Any idea?
Sorry dear, countless times I crossed coorg district, but never stayed in any of these resorts..!!
Old 19th July 2013, 09:02   #1149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
@anupkma - I'm driving there next weekend, so will be able to provide you with the update with my trial run! I managed to google the directions for Palangala village: http://goo.gl/maps/oonVN

Guys: For Virapet, do you suggest Periyapatna-Siddapura or Periyapatna-Gonikoppa? Appreciate your help with the latest updates!
Great. Let me know the details after your trip. Are you going to the Mahindra resort or somewhere else?
Old 19th July 2013, 15:54   #1150
BHPian

Quote:
Are you going to the Mahindra resort or somewhere else?
Yep going to CM. Usually all their resorts have clear sign boards at major junctions of the nearest city/town/village, so hoping I wouldn't be lost!
Old 19th July 2013, 16:08   #1151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, only these initial KMs are bad, afterwards its in great shape.
My friend is planning to drive with his Grand mom this weekend. She is around 70 years old. Which one do you suggest?
I asked him to take Kushalnagar route instead of Periyapatna-Siddapura.
Old 21st July 2013, 21:28   #1152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
My friend is planning to drive with his Grand mom this weekend. She is around 70 years old. Which one do you suggest?
I asked him to take Kushalnagar route instead of Periyapatna-Siddapura.
Sorry Latheesh, missed to see your post. If she don't hany health issues, Periyapatna-Siddapura route will be fine. Last week I went with my parents (in 70s) through this route only. Kushalnagar route is in good, but you feel that you are driving in a long route..!!
Old 23rd July 2013, 13:44   #1153
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone update the road conditions between Madikeri and Bhagamandala/Talacauvery? I may be traveling there this week.

Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 12:17   #1154
BHPian

Hi,
Planning for Independance day travel.

The route - BLR - Madurai - Kanyakumari - Trivandrum - Gurvayur-BLR. PLease help in route and road conditions, need to plan accordingly.
Old 24th July 2013, 13:57   #1155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh1968 View Post
Hi,
Planning for Independance day travel.

The route - BLR - Madurai - Kanyakumari - Trivandrum - Gurvayur-BLR. PLease help in route and road conditions, need to plan accordingly.
Ranjit mostly answered most of it in the other thread. Anything specific that you were looking for ? (Esp since it was posted in Bangalore-Kannur thread? )
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks