Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2022, 14:21   #2071
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMe View Post
Iam not sure if they are checking even for unvacinated kids.
For kids, there were mixed feedback during the last weekend. For some, they let go, for some they have asked Rs.100/- per kid to pass through.

The rule for kids is still not clear, whether RTPCR required or not. So they are taking the advantage of that and looting people.
balenoed_ is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 14:43   #2072
BHPian

Just wanted to know if there are any night time travel restrictions Virajpet-Makkotta(m)-Iritty-Kannur like the Gundlupet-Wayanad route. Please help if you have info.
Old 24th March 2022, 14:54   #2073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodvayyat View Post
Just wanted to know if there are any night time travel restrictions Virajpet-Makkotta(m)-Iritty-Kannur like the Gundlupet-Wayanad route. Please help if you have info.
No such restrictions on Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Virajpet - Makkuta route. It is open at anytime.
Old 14th April 2022, 13:51   #2074
BHPian

A recent video of the Makuta ghat - Kootupuzha stretch. The road is excellent throughout.

ajishanand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 13:42   #2075
BHPian

See some update on the road conditions.

Wanted to check
1. Is it safe to take this route in the night, in terms of any wild life movements or wild people movement?
2. What are the Kerala entry requirements with respect to COVID (vaccination status, etc)?
3. How are the road conditions once you hit Kerala?

Thanks.

Regards
Rex
Old 24th April 2022, 13:55   #2076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodvayyat View Post
No such restrictions, probably because Virajpet on the other side of forest (adjacent to Kerala border) needs to be connected 24x7 with Mysore and other parts of Karnataka...
Old 24th April 2022, 14:02   #2077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
1. Is it safe to take this route in the night, in terms of any wild life movements or wild people movement?
2. What are the Kerala entry requirements with respect to COVID (vaccination status, etc)?
It is usually safe at anytime of the day, but I would avoid driving between 1am-4am through the Gonikoppal - Hunsur stretch, yes - to avoid any wild people. No wild animals to be concerned of in this stretch.

No restrictions/requirements at all w.r.t Covid.

Road conditions are good through out.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 24th April 2022 at 14:03.
Old 24th April 2022, 16:13   #2078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
See some update on the road conditions.

Wanted to check

Thanks.

Regards
Rex
As balenoed_ said, preferably avoid doing the Hunsur-Gonikoppal stretch between 1AM to 3 or even 4 AM. There have been stray incidents of robbery, but nothing in the last couple of years I heard. Still, better to be safe than sorry. The forest stretch is the outer periphery of Nagarhole tiger reserve and wildlife movement is very less. So nothing to worry on that part.
Old 24th April 2022, 20:12   #2079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
As balenoed_ said, preferably avoid doing the Hunsur-Gonikoppal stretch between 1AM to 3 or even 4 AM. There have been stray incidents of robbery, but nothing in the last couple of years I heard. Still, better to be safe than sorry. The forest stretch is the outer periphery of Nagarhole tiger reserve and wildlife movement is very less. So nothing to worry on that part.
Thanks, balenoed_ and sandsun7. Appreciate your quick replies.
We should be covering this stretch within 12. So, hopefully we are ok.

Any recommendation for a family accommodation for a night in Iritty town?
Clean/hygienic AC rooms, preferably not a 'BAR attached' place :-)

Regards
Rex
Old 24th April 2022, 21:58   #2080
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, balenoed_ and sandsun7. Appreciate your quick replies.
We should be covering this stretch within 12. So, hopefully we are ok.

Regards
Rex
Within 12 is nice timing... maybe just follow any KSRTC bus or private bus (slow down after Hunsur and before forest checkpost to let them catch up withy you) if you are new to driving in this stretch....
ajithbr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 15:37   #2081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
No wild animals to be concerned of in this stretch.
Usually, yes, no wild animals.

But once, 6 or 7 years back, I had to drive overnight due to an emergency. Started from Sarjapur rd around 9 PM. Me and brother in law took turns to drive while the other slept, as it was a night drive after a regular day.
I was at the wheel when i got to see an elephant by the side of the road. It was just before the Anechowkur check post.
Not sure if it was a wild elephant or a tame one from the nearby elephant camp.
Was a bit scary as I came to notice only as I was passing it. It was right beside the road on the left side and I was doing decent speed. That stretch did not have speed breakers every 500 m as it is today.

Quote:

Regards
Rex
I don't have first hand info, but heard that Hotel White Gate at Uliyil (~5KMs after Iritty, towards Mattannur) is good. There seems to be more options at Mattannur.

Last edited by MSAneesh : 25th April 2022 at 15:46. Reason: Added response to Rex's query
MSAneesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 21:19   #2082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAneesh View Post
Usually, yes, no wild animals.

I don't have first hand info, but heard that Hotel White Gate at Uliyil (~5KMs after Iritty, towards Mattannur) is good. There seems to be more options at Mattannur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Within 12 is nice timing... maybe just follow any KSRTC bus or private bus (slow down after Hunsur and before forest checkpost to let them catch up withy you) if you are new to driving in this stretch....
Thanks, ajithbr and MSAneesh.

We did this last week and took a route that a regular on this stretch recommended. Bangalore-Channarayapatna-Aarkalagud-Periyapatna-Iritty was pretty decent. Mostly good roads and very scanty traffic. Started from Bangalore around 4pm and hit Iritty by 11pm with a tea/snacks break near Perambadi.

Wanted to mention that the small tea shop we stopped for snack also sell wines of various flavors. The owner aunty makes wines out of almost everything, looks like. They have a large display of their offerings. We picked couple of bottles, ginger, goosberry, birds eye chilly, etc. The birds eye chilly wine was pretty interesting. Could not take more than a small sip at a time due to the extremely hot flavor. Interesting place to stop by to pick few bottles, if you're inclined. They run a nursery as well by the side of the shop.

We stayed at M2H Residency at Iritty (Payancheri Mukku). Decent place, right on the main road. Have good enough parking. They have a restaurant, but was closed during day time due to Ramzan season. So, had breakfast from Indian Coffee House. Was visiting an ICH after a really long time. Refreshing experience :-)

Was very impressed by quality of roads in and around Iritty. Malayora Highway has come out excellent with well marked roads, especially on the edges. Night driving was a pleasure.

Regards
Rex
rex_varghese is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 11:49   #2083
BHPian

Any information on the current road conditions in the Virajpet-Makuta-Iritty route? We have a travel plan to Taliparamba this Friday. Just got to know about heavy rains in Coorg, does anyone have information on the road conditions and if I should consider an alternate route?

Last edited by SoulDrive : 11th May 2022 at 11:52.
Old 11th May 2022, 12:01   #2084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulDrive View Post
Any information on the current road conditions in the Virajpet-Makuta-Iritty route? We have a travel plan to Taliparamba this Friday. Just got to know about heavy rains in Coorg, does anyone have information on the road conditions and if I should consider an alternate route?
No issues, I travelled day before yesterday from Taliparamba to Bangalore. Even with rains it wouldn’t have gone any bad.

And if heading to Thaliparamba, you don’t have to touch Iritty, unless you have any work there. Take a right turn at a place called Vallithode which is 2-3kms after Kerala check post. Route it via Vallithode - Ulikkal- Payyavoor - Sreekantapuram- Thaliparamba. Good trafficless road, less winding, and bypasses couple of towns.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 11th May 2022 at 12:02.
Old 11th May 2022, 12:45   #2085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
No issues, I travelled day before yesterday from Taliparamba to Bangalore. Even with rains it wouldn’t have gone any bad.

And if heading to Thaliparamba, you don’t have to touch Iritty, unless you have any work there. Take a right turn at a place called Vallithode which is 2-3kms after Kerala check post. Route it via Vallithode - Ulikkal- Payyavoor - Sreekantapuram- Thaliparamba. Good trafficless road, less winding, and bypasses couple of towns.
Much obliged, sir. Was concerned about any landslide risks in the ghat section. Your post is reassuring. Thank you for the route suggestion as well!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks