Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2023, 12:08   #2116
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

I am planning to drive to Kannur next week from Bangalore. Last time (in 2018) we took the regular route via Mysore-Hunsur- Gonikoppa-Virajpet bypass-Perumbadi. How is the road conditions right now?

Also thinking about returning via Manthavady-Nagerhole this time to exlore that route. As per Google Maps, that would add just an extra hour. Can anyone comment on that route in terms of drivability and scenaries.
Old 12th April 2023, 12:32   #2117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsroy View Post
I am planning to drive to Kannur next week from Bangalore. Last time (in 2018) we took the regular route via Mysore-Hunsur- Gonikoppa-Virajpet bypass-Perumbadi. How is the road conditions right now.
Just drove on it yesterday night. All good. Much better than 2018 overall.

Via Manathavady is good to explore. It will be longer than 1 hour I suppose.
balenoed_ is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 13:44   #2118
BHPian

Not sure if we are allowed to enquire about weather on TeamBhp :-) . But is it too hot compared to Bangalore around this time of year?
Old 12th April 2023, 13:48   #2119
UMe
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Just drove on it yesterday night. All good. Much better than 2018 overall.
How is the road condition on perumbadi-maakutta ghat section? Were there any patching work done in the past months, owing elections.
I remember this section was somewhat bad when I took the route, about 6 months ago.

Last edited by UMe : 12th April 2023 at 13:54.
Old 12th April 2023, 16:12   #2120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure if we are allowed to enquire about weather on TeamBhp :-) . But is it too hot compared to Bangalore around this time of year?
Yes, quite hot at the moment compared to Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMe View Post
How is the road condition on perumbadi-maakutta ghat section? Were there any patching work done in the past months, owing elections.
Yes, ghat road is all fixed and better. Road conditions are good throughout.
Old 12th April 2023, 17:20   #2121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But is it too hot compared to Bangalore around this time of year?
Hot and humid! difficult to manage even for us localites.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 16:07   #2122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also thinking about returning via Manthavady-Nagerhole this time to exlore that route. As per Google Maps, that would add just an extra hour. Can anyone comment on that route in terms of drivability and scenaries.
remember an update in another thread recently that on the Mananthavady-Bavali-HD Kote route, Bavali-Udbur forest stretch is in bad condition. Similarly on the other route via Tholpetty-Kutta- Nagarhole - Hunsur, there are some bad stretches inside the forest.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2023, 19:12   #2123
UMe
BHPian

I had to pay entry fee of Rs 20 at makutta check post for entering into Karnataka side. I don't remember paying this earlier. I asked, if it is applicable for KA reg vehicles too, he noded in affirmation.

Looks like this is being collected via muthanga route too. Quoting from another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
Not sure when they started this. Through the Muthanga route, Karnataka checkpost is collecting ₹20 from all vehicles just like the Rajiv Gandhi National Park route. Lorry drivers and other daily drivers were refusing to pay and led to a huge pileup of vehicles at checkpost, today morning at 6.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-20230422_183748.png  

Old 24th April 2023, 19:16   #2124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMe View Post
I had to pay entry fee of Rs 20 at makutta check post for entering into Karnataka side. I don't remember paying this earlier. I asked, if it is applicable for KA reg vehicles too, he noded in affirmation.

Looks like this is being collected via muthanga route too. Quoting from another thread.
Experienced this when I drove to/fro bangalore last week. I was a bit surprised and asked him about the same and the official pointed me to a banner nearby. It came into effect from this month!

Seems like a lot of cash for them considering the amount of vehicles which pass through these routes. The govt realised it's a quick way to mint some money!

Last edited by logicalidiot : 24th April 2023 at 19:17.
logicalidiot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 21:42   #2125
BHPian

Friends,

Have few quick route checks.

Need to travel to Chittarikkal tomorrow morning to attend a funeral.
I see from updates on this thread that Makkutta road is in good condition.

How is the stretch from Vallithode till Chittarikkal?

I need to get back to Manathavadi (from Chittarikkal) late in the night. Which is the best route? Iritty-Kottiyoor-Manthavadi OR Iritty-Nedumpoil-Mananthavadi? Are these routes safe to drive late in the night?

On the way back, how is the route Mananthavadi-Kattikulam-Bavali-Antharasanthe? Road conditions and wild elephant sightings wise.

Thanks a lot for your time.

Regards
Rex
Old 3rd July 2023, 18:00   #2126
BHPian

Hi All

Has anyone tried the Kanakpura route to get to South Bengaluru?

With the toll being collected on the Mysore expressway (plus the absymal condition of the NICE road that I would have to take till ECT), some dangerous/moronic driving I encountered on the expressway the last time, I was wondering if Kanakpura route might be a viable option.
Old 4th July 2023, 11:35   #2127
BHPian

Since I did not hear from anybody on this query, thought of sharing an update with our trip details

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post

How is the stretch from Vallithode till Chittarikkal?
Malayora highway all the way from Vallithode to Chittarikkal is amazing. Great road surface. It's a pleasure driving through those winding roads through small towns and villages.

It was hard to find a decent place on the way for lunch, though. Many places were closed, not sure if it was a Sunday routine. Finally, we stopped at Choice hotel at Naduvil. Small place serving Biriyani, Porotta and Neychoru (primarily, biriyani rice, from what I understood). We ordered two biriyani and grossly mis-estimated the portion size. It was a lot of food. But, pretty tasty. This place appears to be very popular looking at the crowd landing there even after 3pm.

Quote:
I need to get back to Manathavadi (from Chittarikkal) late in the night. Which is the best route? Iritty-Kottiyoor-Manthavadi OR Iritty-Nedumpoil-Mananthavadi? Are these routes safe to drive late in the night?
Based on local feedback, we took Iritty-Kelakam-Kottiyoor-Mananthavadi route though Google Maps was constantly trying to take us through the Nedumpoil route. Google Maps also tried to take us to the Malayola Highway via Aralam, which a night owl we found on the road advised us not to follow quoting wild elephant raids in that area during night. So, we came back to Kelakam route and continued.

Road conditions are not great on the ghats and beyond that till Mananthavadi. Work is going on and you can find short good stretches and sudden dips on the road to bad surface. Pretty unpleasant experience especially during nights. Adding to the fun was mild rains during most of the drive.

We had dinner from a roadside thattukada at Payanchery Mukku, Irritty, just before the Kottiyoor turn. It was a nice experience to eat at such a place which was packed with people even at that time of night. Piping hot (mostly) Kerala style dishes with a typical black tea (kattan chai) was very refreshing and filling. The food appeared to be very very affordable too. Looks like a very popular night hangout looking at the crowds, including families.

Quote:
On the way back, how is the route Mananthavadi-Kattikulam-Bavali-Antharasanthe? Road conditions and wild elephant sightings wise.
We were told that Bavali-Antharasanthe stretch is pretty bad with sharp/deep side cuttings and better avoided by sedans. So, we took Mananthavalid-Panamaram-Nadavayal-Bathery-Gundlepet-Nanjangud-Mysore-Bangalore route. Overall, uneventful drive except for few wild life sightings (elephants and deers) and a stop at Sunflower fields just after the forest stretch.

Thanks and Regards
Rex
rex_varghese is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 07:05   #2128
BHPian

Planning a drive to Kannur from Bangalore on this weekend. Any idea on the road conditions given the monsoon affect?
Old 11th August 2023, 07:18   #2129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niel@Figo View Post
Planning a drive to Kannur from Bangalore on this weekend. Any idea on the road conditions given the monsoon affect?
Roads are good, no issues as such throughout. Light patches in ghat section here and there but nothing to be worried of.

Fortunately/Unfortunately, the monsoon this year wasn’t so furious and did not last long to cause damage on the roads in this stretch.
Old 11th August 2023, 11:24   #2130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

Fortunately/Unfortunately, the monsoon this year wasn’t so furious and did not last long to cause damage on the roads in this stretch.
Offtrack...Forget about monsoon not being furious. It has failed completely. I never remember a time in my life where it has not rained in July/August for continuous 3 weeks in Bangalore. I just hope its raining or rained at some place which makes a difference (like in catchment areas). This kind of a hot and dry July and August makes me wonder whats in store in the coming days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks