Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2023, 01:25   #181
BHPian

Re: Travelling long distance during the Elections

Hi All,

I am travelling to Rajasthan in the third week of October and Madhya Pradesh on vacation between Oct 21 to Nov 4. I only recently realised that there are elections scheduled in the month of November in Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and Telangana.

Wanted to know if it is safe to travel considering the amount of checking, we are only 2 people (both guys) travelling in my petrol sedan and also do we need to worry about our private vehicle being requisitioned for election duty ?
Old 11th October 2023, 05:43   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Don’t carry any extra cash or valuables, and don’t carry any alcohol. You’ll be fine. I am also travelling to Rajasthan in the third week of October.
Old 8th April 2024, 10:33   #183
Senior - BHPian

I have a trip coming up which is next week during the Phase 1 elections. I will be travelling to Calicut(Kerala) from Bangalore. Thankfully, Kerala and Karnataka go to elections during Phase 2.
The reason for the post is because I will be using a friends car for this trip and I know there is checking going on at the borders and other locations in regards to the elections. Will this be a problem although I will have all the car documents in hand?
Old 8th April 2024, 10:43   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
The reason for the post is because I will be using a friends car for this trip and I know there is checking going on at the borders and other locations in regards to the elections. Will this be a problem although I will have all the car documents in hand?
I don't think car ownership matters for election checks. The checks are for cash (so don't carry a lot), and these will be allover the place and not just at borders. During the 2019 elections, my car was waved down in one of the lanes I used to take on my way to work
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 10:43   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a trip coming up which is next week during the Phase 1 elections. I will be travelling to Calicut(Kerala) from Bangalore. Thankfully, Kerala and Karnataka go to elections during Phase 2.
I crossed the border recently. They didn't ask for any car documents, check was for cash. It was same at both TN and KA.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 15:10   #186
BHPian

I will be travelling from Mumbai to Bharuch (Gujarat) day after tomorrow. Any specific places known to people here where any kind of checking is ongoing on NH48 for the elections ?

Regards
Diesel
Old 9th April 2024, 15:39   #187
Team-BHP Support

Some don'ts -

- Please do not carry cash over Rs. 50,000 INR combined.

- I am not sure about carrying legal firearms, so please check with a competent authority.

- I carry 2 or 3 knives in my car / s, but during election time, I replace it with a swiss army multi purpose knife, you should not be seen as a potential trouble maker.

-Please do not carry alcohol.

- Prefer not to travel in JH / BR / UP / WB areas in main stream 7 seater SUV / MUV as it may be requisitioned for election purpose. Thread.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 15:54   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
- I am not sure about carrying legal firearms, so please check with a competent authority.
Legal firearms are generally seized by the police station near you and returned after elections. 2-3 months before elections, police officers also come to the registered license address with a checklist to note down the number of bullets you have and also validate the license. If the license is expired, your firearm is seized. Firearm licenses also differ a lot on the basis of utility jurisdiction; at times they are only valid for a district (ex. Mumbai) or at other times they are valid for the whole state.
Old 10th April 2024, 16:31   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will be travelling to Calicut(Kerala) from Bangalore.
Based on drives during campaigning and polling dates for previous elections in the same route -
No, they are not bothered about the ownership or any other papers as such of vehicle. The check is only cash/ liquor / any items which can be termed as 'gift'.

As such, the checking has been non problematic for me, no harassment as such. However, some instances the barricades kept at the checkpost can become a traffic chokepoint. I faced the same in May last year just before KA legislative election around Mysore.

Else, as such, usually at end of ghat / Vythiri there will be a check and then past that near the border in KL side.

In KA, just before Gudlupet and then Nanjanguad.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 09:41   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
In KA, just before Gudlupet and then Nanjanguad.
Any updates on the checkpoints in the Coimbatore - Salem - Hosur - Bangalore route?

A friend who travelled to Coimbatore from Kochi on Tuesdaywas stopped at the TN border after Walayar check post. He was driving solo for an official meeting on his black BMW 530D with KL plates. Armed forces checked his car in detail. He politely asked them to be careful as they messed up his luggage containing formal wear for the meeting to which they gave no response.

Same exercise happened during his return yesterday but in KL side. This time he was proactive enough to get down from the car quickly and opened up the truck, luggage etc for them. Lesser trouble.
Old 11th April 2024, 17:38   #191
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Any updates on the checkpoints in the Coimbatore - Salem - Hosur - Bangalore route?
There are random checkpoints throughout this route. The check is for cash, gold, gifts, large quantities of alcohol, etc. It helps to be polite with the officials. One can be on the way quick if one co-operates.
Cheers
Old 12th April 2024, 10:24   #192
BHPian

There are check-points all over TN. 2 weeks back on our way to Rameswaram via Madurai we saw a few. I was with my wife and 2 kids in our Endeavour. From Rameswaram to Kodai, just after we got off the highway, we were stopped by one set of officials at a checkpoint. There were armed police, women cops and election officials accompanied with a camera to record the proceedings. There was a board of the EC with details of the constituency also displayed at the temporary shack.

I promptly parked on the side, made conversation with them and opened the boot and opened one suitcase. I told them I am happy to show the luggage but requested them not to touch and ask me whichever they wanted me to open. After first suitcase and a tote bag, they thanked me and asked me to go.

So net net, co-operate and be polite. They are conducting quite professionally and swift response saves you time and you could be on your way.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 12th April 2024 at 10:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks