Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2018, 23:09   #151
BHPian

Re: Travelling long distance during the Elections

Not related to elections, but my company car - an Innova was requisitioned along with the driver by Kolkata Police for duty during Ganga Sagar mela. This was sometime back in 2013. It was quite a harrowing experience for the driver as there was no accomodation provided and he had to pay for his own food and boarding. He was made to ferry basically VIPs and political flunkeys in the name of public service. There wasnt much that could be done. Just wanted to add this to the thread on requisitions.

It seems your car can be requisitioned by the government also for their own purpose if they so deem it to be.
Maveryq is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 23:41   #152
BHPian

Me and my friend will be driving from Chennai to Berhampur, Odisha in the coming weekend in my new Passat. I will also be performing some local road trips in Odisha in the next 3 weeks before returning to Chennai. Did anyone witness any form of forcible private vehicle impounding as part of the upcoming/ongoing electoral process? Anything to worry about especially while travelling in Andhra and Odisha? All suggestions and feedback welcome.
deep_behera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 09:19   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_behera View Post
Did anyone witness any form of forcible private vehicle impounding as part of the upcoming/ongoing electoral process?
I have travelled during elections time in Andhra. Never saw/heard of any private vehicles impounded unless they were carrying large amounts of cash or suspicious material. There will be checks at a lot of places of course and it will be irritating. But we have to cooperate. Generally on highways these checks are kept to a minimum as police keep track of vehicles that have crossed the last check-post.

Quote:
Anything to worry about especially while travelling in Andhra and Odisha? All suggestions and feedback welcome.
Nothing much. If you can avoid as much luggage as you can, then you'll not be spending a lot of time unpacking/packing during police checks. Also be extra watchful as there is always a greater chance of political mischief happening during elections time.

Last edited by strawhat : 2nd April 2019 at 09:24.
strawhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 11:02   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Me and my friend will be driving from Chennai to Berhampur, Odisha in the coming weekend in my new Passat. Anything to worry about especially while travelling in Andhra and Odisha?
Three things to be mindful - Cash-Jewels, Weapons, Documents. Be sure you avoid first two and the third one update. Make sure you have soft copies of all your documents. Avoid carrying documents like passport which are difficult to obtain. Carry only Aadhaar, License and Vehicle documents. Avoid staying in obscure places. Use arterial roads as much as possible, Police would be watchful due to publicity.
aadya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 20:27   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
I have travelled during elections time in Andhra. Never saw/heard of any private vehicles impounded unless they were carrying large amounts of cash or suspicious material.
It is very reassuring to hear this since 90% of the road trip will be on Andhra Roads. My hometown in Odisha is within 60Kms of Andhra Odisha Border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
Three things to be mindful - Cash-Jewels, Weapons, Documents. Be sure you avoid first two and the third one update. Make sure you have soft copies of all your documents. Avoid carrying documents like passport which are difficult to obtain. Carry only Aadhaar, License and Vehicle documents. Avoid staying in obscure places. Use arterial roads as much as possible, Police would be watchful due to publicity.
I rarely carry cash and jewels during road travel for obvious reasons. I will for sure carry only the required documents.
Old 2nd April 2019, 22:25   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is very reassuring to hear this since 90% of the road trip will be on Andhra Roads. My hometown in Odisha is within 60Kms of Andhra Odisha Border.
I thought Berhampur was just 20 kms away from the border. Are you referring to some other place like Aska?

Also avoid carrying alcohol. They usually cause a lot of problems if you do.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 00:16   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I thought Berhampur was just 20 kms away from the border. Are you referring to some other place like Aska?

Well, alcohol and road trips never go hand in hand for me. I do not carry alcohol nor do I drink during a road trip.

My in-laws home is on the outskirts of Berhampur towards Gopalpur and my home is in a place called Rambha, the beginning of Chilka lake from South. Rambha is approximately 60kms from the border on the national highway. I need to visit both the places (possibly also frequent short trips) to be politically correct at home.
deep_behera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 12:40   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, alcohol and road trips never go hand in hand for me. I do not carry alcohol nor do I drink during a road trip.

My in-laws home is on the outskirts of Berhampur towards Gopalpur and my home is in a place called Rambha, the beginning of Chilka lake from South. Rambha is approximately 60kms from the border on the national highway. I need to visit both the places (possibly also frequent short trips) to be politically correct at home.
I guess your in-laws stay near Rangailonda, near the university. I am certainly aware of Rambha. I've passed it hundreds of times during my road trips in the 70s and early 80s. In those days, the highway used to pass through the town.
Old 3rd April 2019, 13:11   #159
Team-BHP Support

Forget long distances, some law enforcement personnel are already doing nakabandi in Pune. I was stopped on Law College rd last weekend by a couple of people in khakee uniform (not traffic police) and a plain-clothed person; along with them was someone with a video camera. They stopped every vehicle, irrespective of who was driving and who the occupants were (senior citizens, kids, women) and taking a video shoot of the car's interiors: all seats, boot and even the spare tyre area. When asked, they said this is to track money movement given the election season.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 16:00   #160
BHPian

Quote:
I guess your in-laws stay near Rangailonda, near the university. I am certainly aware of Rambha. I've passed it hundreds of times during my road trips in the 70s and early 80s. In those days, the highway used to pass through the town.
You are indeed right. My inlaws stay very close to the University. The NH16 highway now goes through the Rambha Bypass. No need to pass through the town anymore unless you have to visit the town. If anyone is passing through the highway, it is best to avoid passing through Rambha town during election times as you risk being held up in slow moving traffic due to numerous processions and gatherings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Forget long distances, some law enforcement personnel are already doing nakabandi in Pune. I was stopped on Law College rd last weekend by a couple of people in khakee uniform (not traffic police) and a plain-clothed person; along with them was someone with a video camera. They stopped every vehicle, irrespective of who was driving and who the occupants were (senior citizens, kids, women) and taking a video shoot of the car's interiors: all seats, boot and even the spare tyre area. When asked, they said this is to track money movement given the election season.
I have seen similar checks being enforced around Chennai for the last two weeks or so. In fact my car was checked 3 times while returning from Pondicherry to Chennai last week. Again Khakee uniform and plain-clothed folks. However they were are a lot lenient here. I noticed that they mostly let go vehicles with families and senior citizens.
Old 4th April 2019, 16:26   #161

Last week I did Hyderabad-Shirdi-nashik-Shirdi-Shani Signapur-Hyderabad trip (28th March - 31st March). I was stopped few times by police for checking. On the way from Shirdi to Nashik was stopped at a check post and car documents and Driving License checked by police. While going to Shirdi from Hyderabad was stopped by police somewhere in Omerga and they checked car's boot and glove box. I was travelling with my wife in a hatchback. Nowhere during the check they mentioned about requisitioning of car. They were only checking for cash and recording the entire checking process on camera.

While going to Shani Shignapur from Shirdi as I took left turn from highway towards Shignapur was stopped by a person in civil dress. He demanded me to show him my driving license and car's papers which I refused and asked him his identity on which he said that he was a cop. I asked him can you please show me your Id to which he went away and called a cop who was in police uniform. He asked me whether all documents are place and after confirming he let me go without any drama.
Prav_Panther is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 18:09   #162
BHPian

Last sunday my Brother-in-Law and Sister were driving back to pondicherry from Bangalore with their kid in Honda City.

Apparently they were stopped 3 times and each time their bags were thoroughly checked at election check posts.

Guess each constituency border will have such check posts.

So people planning traveling in their own cars, be ready for your car to be searched. Do carry proper documentation if you are carrying good amount of cash.

Last edited by ant_vas : 4th April 2019 at 18:09. Reason: spacing
ant_vas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 21:07   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
Three things to be mindful - Cash-Jewels, Weapons, Documents. Be sure you avoid first two and the third one update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
There will be checks at a lot of places of course and it will be irritating. But we have to cooperate. Generally on highways these checks are kept to a minimum as police keep track of vehicles that have crossed the last check-post.
Quote:
I travelled over the weekend from Chennai to Rambha, Odisha. The entire stretch was on NH16, wherein I covered a total distance of close to 1200Kms.
Route taken was as follows: Chennai -> Nellore -> Vijayawada -> Rajahmundry -> Ankapalle -> Vizianagaram -> Srikakulam -> Berhampur - Rambha.

During this trip, I was checked at the following places: Tamilnadu/Andhra Pradesh Border Checkpost, Nellore, Rajahmundry, Vizianagaram, Srikakulam, Palasa, Ichapuram. All the checks were in Andhra Pradesh. No checks in Tamilnadu or Odisha. Also no checks between Vijayawada and Rajahmundry because I drove through that stretch after midnight between 12.00AM and 3.00AM (I did notice checkposts but the officials seemed to have been too tired or retired for the night to check passing vehicles).

The checkposts have EC officials accompanied by Men in Khakee and they were looking for cash, jewellery, alcohol and weapons. They are generally friendly and well behaved and the only question I was asked was the source and destination of my trip. In many places the checks were very thorough wherein they checked everything including glovebox, underseats, and every bag in the boot. If you want to save some time, please do not lock your luggages!!!

They were not letting off any cars including those with families, senior citizens and those with political party flags as well. So party flag trick does not work atleast from what I noticed during the trip.

Nothing to worry about any form of vehicle requisitioning for election duty.
Old 8th April 2019, 12:36   #164
BHPian

Guys, Guys,

Need your inputs. I have a planned drive from Pune to Bhubaneswar starting 11th of this month.

I/we (Me & Wife) will be travelling via Andhra and Telengana. On 11th I am planning to put up at Vijaywada. And the scariest part - I would be travelling in my Safari.

Are there chances of vehicle impounding for election purpose? Need inputs in an urgency.
Old 8th April 2019, 13:06   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingCynical View Post
Guys, Guys,

Need your inputs. I have a planned drive from Pune to Bhubaneswar starting 11th of this month.

I/we (Me & Wife) will be travelling via Andhra and Telengana. On 11th I am planning to put up at Vijaywada. And the scariest part - I would be travelling in my Safari.

Are there chances of vehicle impounding for election purpose? Need inputs in an urgency.
Hi. Voting is scheduled on 11th of April here in Hyderabad(Telangana). Some traffic diversions/closures might be there. But I don't think you will have any problem regarding vehicle impounding as I have not seen here any private vehicle being impounded for election duty. And again if any that activity would have been over by now. I don't think you need to worry.

Regards,
Praveen

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks