Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2019, 13:09   #166
BHPian

Re: Travelling long distance during the Elections

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingCynical View Post
Guys, Guys,
Need your inputs. I have a planned drive from Pune to Bhubaneswar starting 11th of this month. I/we (Me & Wife) will be travelling via Andhra and Telengana. On 11th I am planning to put up at Vijaywada. And the scariest part - I would be travelling in my Safari. Are there chances of vehicle impounding for election purpose? Need inputs in an urgency.
I travelled from Chennai to Rambha two days back, including the section from Vijayawada to Rambha(~650kms) which you will also be taking during your Pune Bhubaneswar trip. Refer the post preceeding your post. Be prepared for checks as your enter every constituency. Avoid carrying too much cash or jewellery and ensure that all papers are in place. In most cases you will be asked to open your luggage so best not to lock your luggages to save some time. Also strict no-no to carry alcohol and weapons.

By vehicle impounding if you are referring to vehicle requisitioning for election duty, I did not notice this anywhere in my trip to Andhra. I see you are travelling on the election day and the day after through Andhra Pradesh, so I guess you should not be worried much except too many checks.

One niggle that I faced was that the hotel room booked Gannavaram, Vijayawada through Goibibo was not available to me when I reached the hotel as all the rooms had been taken up by EC Officials. The owner refunded me the entire amount so I decided to continue my drive through the night and halted at a petrol pump for few hours of power nap. So check with your hotel in advance about the status of your reservation.
deep_behera is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 13:25   #167
BHPian

Thanks Deep_Behera. I guess 11th is the election day in Andhra while 18th is for Telengana. My first phase drive would mostly be on the Andhra stretch.
Old 8th April 2019, 13:44   #168
BHPian

I too have a Bangalore > Alleppey > Bangalore trip coming up. I am planning to start on 19-Apr (03:00 AM), and return on 22-Apr (04:00 AM) respectively. Since this falls exactly in the middle of election days in Karnataka (18-Apr) and Kerala (23-Apr), just wondering if there would be any potential issues.

I am anyways planning to keep minimal luggage, and all documents handy.
Old 8th April 2019, 18:56   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingCynical View Post
Thanks Deep_Behera. I guess 11th is the election day in Andhra while 18th is for Telengana. My first phase drive would mostly be on the Andhra stretch.
Nope! Both AP and Telangana have it on 11th April. Please see here - https://eci.gov.in/general-election/...lections-2019/
Old 11th April 2019, 13:37   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
I too have a Bangalore > Alleppey > Bangalore trip coming up. I am planning to start on 19-Apr (03:00 AM), and return on 22-Apr (04:00 AM) respectively. Since this falls exactly in the middle of election days in Karnataka (18-Apr) and Kerala (23-Apr), just wondering if there would be any potential issues.

I am anyways planning to keep minimal luggage, and all documents handy.
A slight change in plans.

We are now planning to travel on 18-Apr. Since this is election day in KA and TN, would I be encountering any issues enroute? I mean any blockages at the border?

Also, I guess highway restaurants would be open even though it's election day?

We are planning to start from Bangalore @ 5:30 AM on 18-Apr.
Old 21st May 2019, 16:38   #171
Senior - BHPian

Election time travel - Rights and Advise

Dear all,

I am starting this thread since I could not find any related old threads. Moderators, if there is, please merge.

Just a few days back I was travelling from Pune to WB via MP. As we all know it was the voting time so I had all documents with me within easy reach. Still I was harassed once , I presume for want of moolah!

First Instance :

Near to Maharashtra - Madhya Pradesh border.

A temporary check post with like minded people stops my car and asks for documents. The same is shown and no issues observed. My wife was on the non-driver side and an officer asks to lower the glass so that he can see the interior of the car. My wife decides to come out to which she is asked to remain seated and no non-driver side inspection done. We are then asked to open the boot and a videographer comes. Nothing unacceptable comes out and thankfully not the entire boot had to be checked. I am now again asked for the documents, this time explicitly asking for insurance, registration, PUC etc. An officer in uniform comes and suddenly documents are no longer needed.

There was a red bag with us. Showing this, the first person (who was near the non driver side) tells that red bag means money and hence the checking. Hearing this wife replies red means "lal jhanda" and we are asked to go through, with a warning that checkpoints are there again after few kilometers.

No further check points are encountered post that on the day.

Second Instance :

Uniformed officer with videographer and another person along with police car stopping all vehicles near to Madhya Pradesh - Chhattisgarh border. I was suspecting another round of harassment but once I went up to the officer and shown him the file, the first question was where I am heading to as the roads are not in good question. Hearing my response, he clears me quickly wishing me a safe journey.

Third Instance :

I do not remember the location this time but it was definitely before Ranchi. I was asked to open the boot and the videographer quickly takes a look. I am asked from where I am coming and where heading to. No documents are checked other than the license and I am passed through.

Now my questions are as follows :-

Typically during these sort of inspections, what all documents are supposed to be checked as I understand that the purpose is to know whether I am carrying cash or not?

Also, as an individual, what are my rights to these non RTO personnel. Yes I do understand that complying is the best solution, but still. The first instance was actually was very bad and now I am wondering the risks if these were the questions being asked at night!

I mean what does an election inspection officer got to do knowing about the charges for car's registration and color of bag etc...

Did anyone of you faced such instances in past? Anybody has a similar experience to stretch in this same stretch? How did you react and kept going?
Majumdarda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 18:51   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Election time travel - Rights and Advise

Checking during elections is a very common practice all across our country. However, the protocols and process followed during these checking varies with various checkposts as you have mentioned and there is absolutely no consistency with this.

In the last month alone, I was checked quite a few times wherever I have travelled and they don't spare even if you are with family. The good thing I observed this time is the presence of lady uniformed officers. This in a way ensures temperatures do not flare up arguing or getting into nasty verbal duels .These days even toll booths have employed women staff and invariably this reduces unwanted incidents that we often get to experience at the booths.

Couple of things about these checks and what to do when stopped during these checks:
  • If you are driving Solo with an out of state car, you are more suspicious than any other. No wonder I have been stopped quite a few times during my Bangalore Pune runs during election times few years before

• No matter how hurrilly you want to reach your destination, you must always be aware of the fact that these officers are only doing their duty and you need to be patient and co-operate

• The officers can check complete car if they have received a tip off or are suspicious - Glovebox, Door Pads, Under the seats, Spare wheel area, Set back pockets, Boot and the baggage. Of my recent instances, they have always asked me to open the glovebox first and once finding my car documents folder there they even asked me to open it

• Videographing - This is a very common protocol followed everywhere. Right from the time you lower down the window all the way till you crank and move, they can videograph the entire event. After all, they don't want to be caught on the wrong side later with allegations from the other party that the wrongly framed you. First hand evidence is captured through these DVRs.

• The officers will mostly ask the driver to open the boot - This is because they want you to be there when the checking is done. Only 2 weeks before I was checked near Coimbatore when I was headed to Isha foundation from Kerala and I had loads of baggage in the boot. The officer only felt the baggage content (currencies are heavy), asked me if I was headed to Isha (as the road here led to the obvious destination) and said thank you and I left

• Checking for Documents - Again, you might not be carrying large sums of "Political" money with you but what if you have just transported the same and now on your return journey? It is hence essential for them to check your documents (Ownership and Identity at least), to ensure that there is no foul play!

• Asking your journey details - This is a very common practice even if these are just normal patrolling checkposts. It helps a lot to the cops when they make entries in their log book about the vehicles that passed by and where are they headed to and where they originated from. Subsequently, if there is a crime reported, they can always refer to the log book to join the dots

• Always pull over when asked to, take a deep breath and remain in control, dim your headlights, roll down and turn on your cabin lights - These are some good indicators to the officers that you are traveling with family or you have the intent to cooperate

• Instead of running helter-skelter frantically searching for documents, organize each of them in order and keep it in a folder because you will be asked to produce this at multiple locations and showing them often introduces irritation if you can't find the documents in order and you start panicking

• Smile, respect and converse normally - When I did my first Golden-Quadrilateral drive in May 2012, the state of Andhra was having elections and in my entire 6000 Km journey, my car was checked more than 4-5 times till I got out of the state towards Chennai. I have had some very interesting conversations with them as they noticed the GPS device (quite fancy those days) hung onto the windscreen and they asking me what was that and where I was headed to.

Last edited by paragsachania : 21st May 2019 at 18:54.
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2019, 18:24   #173
Senior - BHPian

So, if I have understood correctly, even during election, inspecting authorities have the liberty to ask for any documents, whether its relevant or not. My understanding was that only License is needed to be inspected along with car (for carrying cash etc.) during election period.
Old 22nd May 2019, 18:38   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
My understanding was that only License is needed to be inspected along with car (for carrying cash etc.) during election period.
For now even if we assume its just the licence that should do, we may be wrong. A licence won't prove the ownership of the said vehicle. It can be a driver on hire driving a car who just transported large sums of money too!

Documents like Registration Certificate will give them more insight into the flow of traffic from A to B. The said vehicle may directly or remotely belong to a politician of that area or his relative. Noting down registration numbers today, trying to solve a case tomorrow is where these checks and inspections help immensely.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 13:27   #175
BHPian

Re-igniting a very old post; considering the Bihar Elections in October to November 2020.

Poll dates are 28th Oct, 3rd Nov and 7th Nov 2020.

I am planned to cross Bihar on 30th October for my onward journey from Delhi to Guwahati.

Apart from highway checking for cash, alcohol, weapons etc, should I be fearful of vehicle requisition in these times? Considering the COVID scenario, are there any chances of such instances?

Could anybody guide on the above.

Thank you.
Old 29th September 2020, 13:47   #176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive Head View Post
Re-igniting a very old post; considering the Bihar Elections in October to November 2020. Poll dates are 28th Oct, 3rd Nov and 7th Nov 2020.

I am planned to cross Bihar on 30th October for my onward journey from Delhi to Guwahati.

Apart from highway checking for cash, alcohol, weapons etc, should I be fearful of vehicle requisition in these times? Considering the COVID scenario, are there any chances of such instances?
Cash over 50K is no no, same for alcohol. Checks are going on.

In Bihar, 4 wheelers are usually exempted from checks, but election time, no one is spared, in whatever car you are traveling and who so ever you are. Please take out any sun-films if you have.

Checks are usually done with STF, a magistrate and other personnel's on duty. If you are traveling on a lower segment SUV [Bolero, Scorpio, Safari etc], vehicle confiscation can not be ruled out completely, rare, but can happen. Had happened with me in last State legislative elections, had to pull some strings to get my SUV out.

Though confiscation happens around 15 days before till election date.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 14:12   #177
BHPian

Thank you @Sheel,

I am contemplating of postponing the travel dates to 8th November to cross Bihar, just to avoid any hassles en-route. Once the elections are over, I can travel with free mind.

Your guidance helped in concreting the idea.
Old 29th September 2020, 14:25   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
...If you are traveling on a lower segment SUV [Bolero, Scorpio, Safari etc], vehicle confiscation can not be ruled out completely, rare, but can happen...
This is ... troubling... Can you please elaborate on this?
Why this confiscation and is this under the government's watch?
What the heck!
Old 1st October 2020, 15:01   #179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Why this confiscation and is this under the government's watch?
Confiscation happens as there is shortage of vehicles to ferry officials / personnels from one election phase to another and conducting elections.

Of course, the Government seizes your vehicle [if this was not clear]. You may be compensated [monetarily] for it, you may not be [of-course, that is not important].

I was stopped by a magistrate and police, vehicle was checked, details were noted, 2 cops in got and asked us to drop them at a police station. Upon arriving, I asked them to get down, to which they replied that my SUV has been seized for electoral duties.

2 calls later, I was exempted but had it happened at a place where I barely know anyone, things may have been different.

Last edited by Sheel : 2nd October 2020 at 08:41.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 12:20   #180
BHPian

Re-igniting an old thread with certain inputs on issue of requisitioning of private vehicles for election duty in states - West Bengal is indeed notorious. My colleague having a white Ertiga was pulled over in one of the last elections in WB, even with women colleagues travelling in his car. Citing the reason of having his ailing mother requiring overnight emergency service if required, helped. With my new white Jeep, I was worried and hence this is my take as to points of arguments in case you face such a situation; given that the police personnel can still overwhelm, nag and 'confiscate' your vehicle during such times -

1. Anirban Ghosh v/s State (may be, electorate) case of 2006 cites that the following vehicles would come under such purview - 'private service vehicles' which are 6-seaters excluding driver and used for any kind of business/ commercial/ hiring purposes. This would 'typically' exclude hatchbacks and sedans, but large SUVs come into focus .. other vehicle types are 'public service vehicles' and 'transport vehicles' which I guess are relatively self-explanatory
For my Jeep, my only argument would be that it is a 4 seater excluding driver; other argument that can be inferred is that, it being my sole car only for personal use, and meeting emergency needs of my mother-in-law who stays with us (hence, good to have her medical document copies in the car)

2. Sachin Halder v/s whoever (representing State/ electorate/ police) case of 2009 cites about violation of the electoral officers w.r.t. a court order asking for returning the sole personal use vehicle, which only got returned after the elections were over; hence, contempt of court. Even a stay order later could not absolve the wrong-doers in this case. This was later followed up with fine and/or imprisonment. But this order is not about if requisition/ confiscation itself was legal. At least the above order is better in covering that.
I would infer that in case in worst case they take your vehicle away, immediately file a case with an advocate. I know this can be pain, but a good fight to fight for your loving car.

(Note - not giving links of court cases as they tend to become inactive after a while; such links from 2014 posts in this thread could not be found now)

3. White cars are favorites anyway, for such officers. Beware of that. It is best to hide your car under cover or in closed / semi-closed space or garage during such times, and if possible postpone travel plans (I know it is sometimes hard to do). Else get creative (lawyer, doctor, innumerable rally stickers or weird painting!), however such stickers come with their own headaches or after-pains removing them if you want.

4. While your vehicle takes rest during such times, immobilize/ geofence it using connectivity features (if feature is present) and/or remove a battery terminal. The joy of making it temporarily (and cognitively) non-functional during those days.

More ideas would be welcome.

Last edited by car-go : 21st June 2022 at 12:23. Reason: addendum

Most Viewed