Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2014, 19:30   #106
Team-BHP Support

Re: Travelling long distance during the Elections

I drove from Manipal to Bangalore yesterday, that is about 400kms. Although I drove through many checkpoints, only when I was about enter Bangalore they stopped me for checking. However, he only asked where I was coming from, and upon answering he just asked me to move on.
Old 14th April 2014, 23:12   #107
BHPian

Planning to travel to coorg via mysore on 16th April evening in my XUV, need advice if it's fine to take the vehicle in view of the elections on 17th. I will be travelling with family.
Old 15th April 2014, 05:40   #108
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
I have a wedding to attend in Jaipur, want to drive there from Mumbai and back. Always wanted to drive through Rajasthan. Plan is to leave with the BMW on 16th early morning and run through MH and GJ to reach Udaipur that night. And cover the remaining 400 km through RJ on 17th with an early start. It's doable.

Almost all of Rajasthan has elections on 17th. Advisable? Or am I on a suicide mission? I don't mind regular police checks, they'll easily see I'm a tourist, I have the wedding invite, MH plates, one small bag and stepney in the boot, thats all.

Not the best time for driving. Why not fly this time and do the drive another time?
Old 15th April 2014, 08:25   #109
BHPian

Travel Restrictions Due to Polling - Karnataka

Hi All

I am planning to travel to Madikeri, Coorg from Bangalore on 17th April immediately after casting my Vote.

I believe lot others also have plans to travel out of Bangalore considering its a very long week end due to Good Friday and Easter.

Since during the elections there will be lot of restrictions on vehicles moving near the polling stations, what are the things I should watch out for.

I really don't want to get stuck in every town and waste my day.

I know some might ask why travel at all during voting, its compulsion and I have to travel but only after Voting

Regards
Old 15th April 2014, 10:02   #110
Team-BHP Support

Re: Travel Restrictions Due to Polling - Karnataka

I don't think there is any travel restrictions. Just that they have extra check points, where they stop vehicles at random.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 11:28   #111
Senior - BHPian

I was traveling from Tirunelveli to Madurai last week.
The cops checked the bags.
But they didn't even check the license and registration papers.
Old 15th April 2014, 13:51   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I don't think there is any travel restrictions. Just that they have extra check points, where they stop vehicles at random.
These checking by the election commission representatives would be there till the poll day evening only.
Old 15th April 2014, 14:04   #113
BHPian

I do not think there are any restrictions as such. I am also travelling to Coorg however on the morning of 19th and return on the 21st evening.

Maximum there might be some checks, better to be equipped with some ID's.
Old 16th April 2014, 08:28   #114
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to do a day ride tomorrow(Election day in KA) probably towards Chamrajnagar side. Should I be worried about anything?
Will be riding , so I am guessing there is no hassle.

I will be voting and then leaving, for sure.
Old 16th April 2014, 09:09   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

@Tharian, should be fine.
Suggest to check news before you leave. Have some one check news during your travel time & update you in case of any problems. With the kind of control these days, problems may not happen.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2014, 12:08   #116
Senior - BHPian

Just drove to Goa and back. Took Kolhapur Sankeshwar Gadhinglaj route. At Gadhinglaj there was a check for cash but at both times the cops didn't bother to actually go through the bags. Seeing a lady inside the car also helped methinks. While exiting Goa there was a check which was more thorough but again they didn't actually open the bags. The cop did feel the bags by hand. Also please keep all your papers such as driving license, registration and insurance and PUC in order and in original with you. Needless to say don't carry liquor and obscene amounts of cash.

Do check the route carefully. I stuck to the highway both times, avoiding the Mumbai Goa route and it was a wise decision considering the political tension brewing in the Sindhudurg region.

Last edited by honeybee : 16th April 2014 at 12:11.
Old 16th April 2014, 16:31   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I am planning to do a day ride tomorrow(Election day in KA) probably towards Chamrajnagar side. Should I be worried about anything?
Will be riding , so I am guessing there is no hassle.

I will be voting and then leaving, for sure.
Returned from Chennai - Wayanad trip on 14th and there was no checks whatsoever.

Me and 3 friends rode bike to wayanad and we took Chennai - Bangalore - Kanakapura - Kollegal - Gudulpet - Sultan battery route.

My friends were stopped somewhere between Kollegal and Charmarajanagar. Cops stopped them to ask few questions and there was no checking.
Old 16th April 2014, 23:05   #118
BHPian

I did a trip from Goa to Vellore on the 12th April, the very day that voting was scheduled in Goa. We left at 4.45 a.m. and were not checked even once anywhere along the way. At checkposts, most police would peer into the car and see my wife at my side and a 12 year old behind on a video game, and we were waved through.
Old 16th April 2014, 23:56   #119
Senior - BHPian

Drove Mumbai to Udaipur, a total distance of 770 km today. Only one check on the GJ-RJ border. Registration noted, start and end destination, bags felt, nothing else. Roads have been a revelation. Truly remarkable! Awesome drive all the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Travelling long distance during the Elections-1397673076706.jpg  

FlyingSpur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 11:04   #120
Senior - BHPian

I am all set to leave for JH from Bangalore on 1st May. I will driving solo in Tata Safari. I am taking all kind of risk to drive to JH. I may plan to change my route little bit to avoid most part of West Bengal. I would be taking Bangalore - Vizag - Bhubneshwar - Balasore - Baripada - Jamshedpur - Dhanbad - Giridih. Still not decided yet. My original plan is to take all GQ road till Gobindpur in Dhanbad. Hope everything goes uneventful apart from usual checking by police/election commission officials.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks