Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2014, 18:41   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Travelling long distance during the Elections

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
That's an Old article. As of today, my Aunt's pristine white 1982 Mark 4 Amby has been requisitioned without bothering to take owner's consent. It was being driven back from office by the Chauffeur. Will have to make the car disfunctional on Poll date.
So if your vehicle is not functional on poll date, will it not land you in a soup?
Also is there a rule that vehicle requisitioned should be from the same state.
I,e if a person from Maharashtra is on a trip to Delhi, they will ask him to provide vehicle in Delhi on poll date?
Little confused. What are the exact rules?
Old 1st April 2014, 18:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So if your vehicle is not functional on poll date, will it not land you in a soup?
I,e if a person from Maharashtra is on a trip to Delhi, they will ask him to provide vehicle in Delhi on poll date?
The sections that talk about requisitioning (worse still :- confiscating) does not get into the detail of the state the vehicle is from.

Regarding both your questions above, the answer is, its the call of the owner, which soup does he prefer, his/her favourite car being treated as a mere transportation tool belonging to someone else, or the legal process of the followup to non-presence.
Old 1st April 2014, 19:04   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So how does this work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
No, they take your car papers and give you a requisition slip to produce your car at a particular place on a given date and time, with or without a driver. It's a criminal offence not to comply, and I don't think any one of us is interested to find out the consequences of non-compliance!
Same question - What right do these governments have on private vehicles, for which we have paid the money and the taxes? And how come its a criminal offence to safe-guard our private property?

Or do they provide this 'requisition slip' charging some other offence?
Old 1st April 2014, 19:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

I recently did a Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore drive (March 23-27). There have been no problems whatsoever. I was stopped twice - once after Belgaum towards Bangalore and second around Haveri. Their intent was to find out if I am carrying any "heavy" cash. A PSI asked me this direct question in Kannada and the humor filled answer was, yes to top up fuel tank twice on my Bangalore-Goa trip. They did not even ask me about vehicle papers/ documents of any kind. My car is KA registered.

It's I think only to ensure safety during election times and curb illegal activities related to election season ordinary citizen like me and you need not worry at all.
Old 1st April 2014, 19:47   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
It's I think only to ensure safety during election times and curb illegal activities related to election season ordinary citizen like me and you need not worry at all.
Even I was on a Bangalore - Ooty - Bangalore trip over the last two days, and was checked at multiple places. Cops examined every single bag in the car and video taped the checks too. However, mostly they were very friendly and explained why they wanted to check the car before checking.

I think this thread is for a different issue though (Mostly with states like WB as i see from above posts) where the government takes over your SUVs/ private vehicles for government duty.
Old 1st April 2014, 19:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I think this thread is for a different issue though (Mostly with states like WB as i see from above posts) where the government takes over your SUVs/ private vehicles for government duty.
Yes, you are right. The point I was adding data for is - this is not happening anywhere in south India, MH, MP or GJ at least or neither heard of before!
Old 1st April 2014, 20:28   #22
BHPian

@anujmishra,greetings of the day!

1. Even the administrative and/or police authorities follow the basic sense of practicality, generally.

2. They shall be most likely to refrain from requisitioning such private vehicles which are found to be with families on tour.

3. At the forefront of such requisitioning operations are police personnel.

4. One thing to be really cautious about driving during this period is the heavy movement of Central/State police personnel within/across states in huge convoys as per the election schedule.

5. Polling days should preferably have you stationed somewhere for the entire day. (Do cast your vote, however!)

6. You may have to visualize your tour programme accordingly.

Regards!
Old 1st April 2014, 20:34   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What right do these governments have...
Quote:
...the government takes over your SUVs/ private vehicles for government duty.
It's not the government doing this, it's the Election Commission. There's a law dating back from 1951 which empowers them to do it. No government, central or state, has any control over it.

http://www.one.in/timesofindia-ahmed...c-1469530.html - clearly states
Quote:
...the Election Commission has decided that it would ... spare the owners that own only one vehicle.

...no luxury cars should be requisitioned for election duty, and vehicles like Innova or similar vehicles can be requisitioned for election duty.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 1st April 2014 at 20:38.
Old 1st April 2014, 21:17   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
That's an Old article. As of today, my Aunt's pristine white 1982 Mark 4 Amby has been requisitioned without bothering to take owner's consent. It was being driven back from office by the Chauffeur. Will have to make the car disfunctional on Poll date.
Quote:
Read this article
There are 2 high court rulings which say private cars cannot be requisitioned without consent of owner
http://www.telegraphindia.com/111041...y_13852980.jsp
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post3396098

Quote:
Same question - What right do these governments have on private vehicles, for which we have paid the money and the taxes?
Quote:
It's not the government doing this, it's the Election Commission. There's a law dating back from 1951 which empowers them to do it. No government, central or state, has any control over it.
The 'rationale' goes something like this:
India as a democracy must have its elections. Nothing can stand in the way of that. The Election Commission discharges this duty, and for this it can call on any resource available. Including your car. And if you don't comply, you are not very much better than a terrorist trying to destabilise India!

Quote:
No, they take your car papers and give you a requisition slip to produce your car at a particular place on a given date and time, with or without a driver. It's a criminal offence not to comply, and I don't think any one of us is interested to find out the consequences of non-compliance!

The cops empowered to requisition cars for election duty on behalf of the Election Commission don't read those articles. Their response is, humko apna kaam karne doh, aapko jo kehna hai saabko bolna- let us do our job, whatever you have to say, say it to the saab (usually the DM)
The cops and RTOs are the ones given the task of arranging the vehicles. And they use it for petty personal reasons also.

I have travelled during election time in N. India, and E. India. Believe me, in the East, requisitioning of vehicles for election duty is a nightmare. In the North on the other hand, it is so much of a nonissue that most private car owners are not even aware of it.

Would like to know of the situation in the rest of India.

PS.
Previously, one way out was to get a letter/ certificate from a person/ party contesting the election that that vehicle was necessary for his campaigning. Requisitioning that vehicle meant that one candidate was being put at a disadvantage, and discriminated against. Surprise, surprise, even such a letter has stopped working in the East.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 1st April 2014, 23:37   #25
BHPian

A bit OT but can someone please tell me what does one mean by this requisition?

So as someone has said, the election commission has right to use our beloved car for their use?
And it would be such a pain to obtain the repair-bill money from them after they are done with using or shall I say abusing the vehicle; or they are not liable to pay any such thing?

And SS-Traveller, what does "luxury cars" mean here? Anything upwards of Scoprio/Innova or the Fortuner?

Thank You.

-Bhargav
Old 1st April 2014, 23:48   #26
BHPian

Quote:

I have planned to vote by 7.30 am and then be enroute towards Naukuchiatal on the 10th. I am so hoping that I am not caught in this nightmare. Your point on vehicle being from the same state is a good one. I am hoping a lawyer sticker on the front windshield and a Delhi number should get me to Uttarakhand passing through UP. Will update to the group for sure how it went.

--
Nayak // Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
Old 2nd April 2014, 12:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

Adding to what Sutriptada has said earlier, resources includes manpower also but it is restricted to govt. employees, PSU and Bank employees.

Quote:
The only people empowered to release your car once it has been requisitioned are (1) the District Magistrate and (2) the Electoral Officer of the state. Connections with ministers, MPs, MLAs, politicians, police and sundry other bigwigs don't help. Brandishing such connections during requisitioning makes things a little worse.

If you need to travel during these times, take out the hatchback! No one requisitions those.
The DM/Collector and the State EC would be too busy with other things to care for such petty things. This sort of applications are heard by the District Ellectoral Officer and decided.

Actually many of the powers are delegated to selected people who are requisitioned by the govt. for election duty. Some of the persons who have been requisitioned from my organisation have actually been given the powers of an Executive Magistrate for this period.

Quote:
Even I was on a Bangalore - Ooty - Bangalore trip over the last two days, and was checked at multiple places. Cops examined every single bag in the car and video taped the checks too. However, mostly they were very friendly and explained why they wanted to check the car before checking.

Those videos are submitted daily to the Collectorate and there is a seperate team who scrutinise them.

It is not only WB but BR & JH are also famous for this kind of action.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 16:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

How many people in our country know about this requisitioning of private vehicles ? I came to know about this only on this forum. Maybe they enacted this law when the vehicle population was low. Even the govt has so many vehicles now a days that they should repeal this law. Where ever this rule is used, do they check if the officials themselves could use their own vehicles?

Last edited by srishiva : 2nd April 2014 at 16:20.
Old 2nd April 2014, 16:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

An innocent question: What if someone displays the election symbol of a national political party very prominently on the vehicle during these times plus one of the passengers is a card carrying primary member of said party.
In the interest of free and fair election, would the election commission machinery have the gall to requisition such a vehicle?
Old 2nd April 2014, 16:34   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
In the interest of free and fair election, would the election commission machinery have the gall to requisition such a vehicle?
On the contrary, EC is the only thing political parties are scared to offend.

Most Viewed