Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2014, 12:06   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Travelling long distance during the Elections

Man, this sounds scary. I will be travelling to HP (in a Scorpio) between 24-30 April. Elections are scheduled on 07 May there. Any cause to worry or is HP 'safe' from such practices?

Plus some of my friends will be travelling from Delhi to Kanpur on 18 April. In an SUV. Should I ask them to make alternate plans?
Old 7th April 2014, 14:34   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Man, this sounds scary. I will be travelling to HP (in a Scorpio) between 24-30 April. Elections are scheduled on 07 May there. Any cause to worry or is HP 'safe' from such practices?

Plus some of my friends will be travelling from Delhi to Kanpur on 18 April. In an SUV. Should I ask them to make alternate plans?
As long as its a non HP number Scorpio you are safe. That said, never heard of such things in HP. Mostly in the Goodlands as SST said.
As for Kanpur, I would ask them to not take their SUV.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 15:23   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
As long as its a non HP number Scorpio you are safe. That said, never heard of such things in HP. Mostly in the Goodlands as SST said.
Thanks tsk! Yes, I would advise them the same though they may not heed the advice, since they are connected to a senior police official - maybe a false sense of security!
Old 7th April 2014, 16:23   #79
BHPian

Provisions of 'The Representation of The People Act' provide for such requisitioning of private vehicles including "ANIMALS" for performing electoral duties. Sub-section (1) of Section 160 of the said act is reproduced below:

Requisitioning of premises, vehicles, etc., for election purposes.—(1) If it appears to the State Government that in connection with an election held within the State—
(a) any premises are needed or are likely to be needed for the purpose of being used as a polling station or for the storage of ballot boxes after a poll has been taken, or
(b) any vehicle, vessel or animal is needed or is likely to be needed for the purpose of transport of ballot boxes to or from any polling station, or transport of members of the police force for maintaining order during the conduct of such election, or transport of any officer or other person for performance of any duties in connection with such election,
that Government may by order in writing requisition such premises, or such vehicle, vessel or animal, as the case may be, and may make such further orders as may appear to it to be necessary or expedient in connection with the requisitioning:
Provided that no vehicle, vessel or animal which is being lawfully used by a candidate or his agent for any purpose connected with the election of such candidate shall be requisitioned under this sub-section until the completion of the poll at such election.

Hence, it is not only for vehicles but equally applicable for Donkeys, Bullocks, and other such animals which used to carry weights in those good old days. Good that the Act spared human beings from carrying or ferrying!
Old 7th April 2014, 20:18   #80
Senior - BHPian

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/h.../33349914.cms?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 22:08   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Bizarre. In the least. What has time come to. People fearing to take out their vehicles. That too in a democracy!
Old 7th April 2014, 23:22   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Provided that no vehicle, vessel or animal which is being lawfully used by a candidate or his agent for any purpose connected with the election of such candidate shall be requisitioned under this sub-section until the completion of the poll at such election.
So if a candidate or his agent were using a vehicle for poll or election purpose, the same cannot be confiscated. What if we all did just that?
Old 7th April 2014, 23:42   #83
BHPian

I have a question can the government directly requisition cars from the car companies themselves like Tata and Mahindra?.
Old 8th April 2014, 00:04   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra85 View Post
I have a question can the government directly requisition cars from the car companies themselves like Tata and Mahindra?.
Nope. There will be no corporate donations to candidates for elections then. Rules are for the you and me only
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 14:05   #85
Team-BHP Support

I have a road trip coming up in the last week of April.
Will be driving thru the States of AP, TN and Karnataka.

But I doubt anyone will want an unknown petrol car like my Chevy Sail UVA.

During the trip if anyone asks me about mileage I am going to say something like 10 kmpl and curse GM.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 16:13   #86
BHPian

I have planned a road trip to Goa, starting from Trivandrum on 12th April. The elections in Kerala will be over by 10th April. But my concern is, we will be in Goa during April 17th, the Goa election day. And of course, as tourists we will be driving on that day around areas we have no idea of. The car is a Duster. Anything I and my co-travellers be cautios about/prepared for ?
Old 8th April 2014, 20:34   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Was there not a case of our "Resident Road Magellan" HVKumar's Scorpio being confiscated in MP for the same issue? I believe I read it in some old forums and he had to endure some hours in Police Station to get his vehicle back.
Old 8th April 2014, 21:24   #88
Team-BHP Support

I'm planning to travel from Bangalore to Hyderabad this Friday night and return to Bangalore Monday morning, in my white Punto.

Anything I should be worried about? As far as I know- only cabs were being requisitioned in Bangalore. Anything reported against personal cars in AP?
Old 8th April 2014, 21:41   #89
BHPian

Team: I have planned and I am executing my travel to Uttarakhand on 10th. I will update on how it goes. Wish me luck.

Given the discussions and information input available it appears there are no clear answers and 'risk' would vary from state to state. Sedans are generally safe. SUVs carry potential risk. The risk goes up if you happen to be travelling in the badlands.

My take: there is risk for SUVs. Low or no risk for sedans. Safer if you are traveling with family and with kids. Make your own choice. Read up as much as possible on any latest news on this topic. Leverage local contacts if you have any, en route. And, be prepared for a long haul and be willing to drive your vehicle if you become the 'chosen one'.

Happy voting and happy driving. After all 'Live to Drive'!

Bon voyage.

--
Nayak // Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
Traveller Nayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 23:10   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardoop View Post
But my concern is, we will be in Goa during April 17th, the Goa election day.
The date for the two constituencies going to Lok Sabha polls in Goa has been advanced from April 17 to April 12.

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report...tivals-1967671
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks