Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2018, 12:14   #136

Re: Mumbai - Ahmedabad : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Hi

I am planning to drive from Mumbai to Bhuj on 14th of November. While doing some research on the route, I came across Ghogha-Dahej Ro-Ro ferry services. Launched on October 27, Ro-Ro ferry services will reduce travel time between south Gujarat and Saurashtra from nearly 12 hours to just 1.5 hours. Voyage Symphony has the capacity to load 60 trucks, five to seven buses, 35 to 40 cars, 40 bikes and a cumulative capacity to carry 525 passengers on board per voyage.
Could anyone confirm this ferry service (RO-RO) for vehicles. I would love to take this option.

My journey starts tomorrow morning Nov 3, 2018 at 4 AM.

Thanks to the inputs from paragsachania, mpksuhas, abhikb & zalaps. For the time being I am ready for complete road trip but just in case the RORO service is available, I would love ti take it while going and on my way back I will take the road and break at Ahmedabad. I shall document it as the journey goes on.

Edit - Just called the RORO DG Sea Connect team. The Start time from Dahej to Ghogha is 3.30 AM and 7 PM which is quite odd. The travel time is 1.15 to 1.30 hours. There is a loading time and for 3.30 AM ride I need to be there by 1.30 AM as "loading takes time". This is the ferry part. So in all 3-3.5 hours.

Bottomline -
Thane to Dahej - 6.27 hours
Dahej to Ghogha - 3.5 hours
Ghogha to Bhuj - 8 hours
Total - 18 hours (the timings are as per google map 12.30 pm on 02.11.2018 and input from the DG Sea Connect team.

Thane to Bhuj - 14.11 hours (the timings are as per google map 12.33 pm on 02.11.2018)

So my take is road. I shall proceed by road.

Last edited by profcalculux : 2nd November 2018 at 12:40. Reason: More information
profcalculux is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 12:49   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by profcalculux View Post

My journey starts tomorrow morning Nov 3, 2018 at 4 AM.

I shall document it as the journey goes on.

Thane to Bhuj - 14.11 hours (the timings are as per google map 12.33 pm on 02.11.2018)

So my take is road. I shall proceed by road.
Hey Buddy,

How is your journey been to Bhuj? Which route did you take and how much time did it take?

Also update on road conditions.

I will be driving to Bhuj for first time from Mumbai next week. Is the rule of yellow strip on headlamp still there in Gujarat?

Your valuable input will be very helpful. Any important tips?

Cheers!
Old 10th November 2018, 11:32   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Dahej( starting point of Ro-Ro ferry) to Ahmedabad and Ahmedabad to Bhuj(Ahmedabad-> Viramgam-> Dhangdhra-> Maliya-> Bhachau-> Bhuj ) are excellent roads. Ghogha to Bhuj is not that well maintained and you'll have to cross entire Saurashtra region including major cities like Rajkot and Morbi.

Have a look. (Gujarat's Ro-Ro ferry to cut down 6.5 hour trip to 90 minutes)
Hi

Is it necessary to have yellow tape on headlamp while travelling in Gujarat? I mean for MH registered cars?
Old 10th November 2018, 11:43   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi
Is it necessary to have yellow tape on headlamp while travelling in Gujarat? I mean for MH registered cars?
The yellow strip rule is abolished from March 2015. However, we still keep that yellow strip on the headlight, to avoid the encounter with greedy cops.
SJM1214 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 11:47   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi

The rule was abolished 2 years before but better to paste an yellow insulation tape as there have been cases of cars stopped for the lack of it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Here's the translation of the Article HVK Posted above -

"Due to the brightness emitted from the headlamps of Cars, drivers inside cars from the opposite direction would get blinded resulting in increase in the number of accidents.
To reduce the accident rate due to this Gujarat Govt had introduced compulsory Yellow Sticker and Black Dot rule on headlamps way back in 1989.A fine of Rs 200 for not abiding by this rule and almost 1 Lac offences would have made the RTOs wallet heavier than you imagined.
Around 2 Crores is what the RTO would make but off late newer cars are using latest technology for Automotive lighting making this rule illogical. As well, many cars started to come with Cap over the headlight bulbs. Hence the transport commissioner decided to get rid of this rule and effective March the rule is no longer in place"
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 12:30   #141
BHPian

I have been driving around Ahmedabad in my UP registered car without the 'yellow tape' on the headlamp. So far so good but for a short trip there's no harm in pasting one.
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 10:31   #142

Sorry buddy for the delayed reply
some quick notes before I give details

-yellow sticker was not an issue but to be on a safer side buy a yellow insulation tape and put two strips adjacent to each other on the front right headlamp
-keep 20-30 minutes spare for White Rann ticketing
-road are good but be careful of over speeding on Bhuj-Dhorodo, Bhuj-Lakpath/Koteshwar, Bhuj-Dholavira on the state highways. Lots of cattles on the road or they just appear from begind the bushes.
-epecial caution on the Dhordo to Bhuj after seeing the sunset at White Rann. Buffaloes may be on the road, so be careful on the speed as during night they arent visible at all till 10-15 meters
-carry water bottles as some streches are bereft of any humans.
-if you are non vegetarian then you can fulfill your craving at Bhuj, old town in Noorani Retaurant. (Google Map Link - https://goo.gl/maps/eEPMdiwbDkT2)
-To enjoy White Rann keep some time for Dholavira. There is a 10km stretch that has white Rann on both side.
-You may try avoiding NE1 as I found some insane drivers driving at 60kmph with L sticker and chatting among them to people with mobile phone while driving to young Johnnies driving like playing Live need for speed. The Anand Old route is too good to drive,
-may skip Bhujodi, nothing exciting
-take SP (Sardar Patel Bypass) to avoid Ahmedabad
-plan a separate visit to Statue of unity as its is chaotic there at this time.

Details with picture later

Total KMS Driven 2823.5 kms
(Thane-Bhuj-Bhuj Local-Mata Nu Math-Lakpath-Koteshwar-Bhuj-Mandvi-Bhuj-Dhordo-Bhuj-Dholavira-Gandhidham-Bhuj-Bhuj Local-Thane)
(Bhuj-Dhordo-Bhuj was in my friends vehicle so you may add the distance.)
Fuel Eco - 12.3 km/L
Vehicle - Toyota Crysta Diesel 2.8 G Auto
Overall Avg Speed 61km/h
Driving Mode - Eco (applied power mode to overtake at some places on NHs)

Thane Kapurwadi Jn to Bhuj
Start 5.30 AM End 7.45pm
Two refuelling - total 15 mins (bio break included)
Two food break - total 50 minutes (bio break included)
Powernap - 30 minutes (bio break included)
Total Driving time less breaks - 12 hours 40 mins

Bhuj to Thane Kapurwadi Jn
Start 7.00 AM End 7.25 Fountain Signal & 8.28 PM Thane
Two food break - total 45 minutes (bio break included)
Powernap - 20 minutes (bio break included)
Total Driving time less breaks - 11 hours 05 mins till Fountain and then almost an hour from Fountain Signal on AMD Hway to Kapurwadi Jn

Quote:
Hey Buddy,

How is your journey been to Bhuj? Which route did you take and how much time did it take?

Also update on road conditions.

I will be driving to Bhuj for first time from Mumbai next week. Is the rule of yellow strip on headlamp still there in Gujarat?

Your valuable input will be very helpful. Any important tips?

Cheers!
profcalculux is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 11:08   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Did you encounter any traffic jam at Ghodbunder bridge while returning to Thane? How much time was lost here?
Old 13th December 2018, 19:57   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry buddy for the delayed reply
some quick notes before I give details

-yellow sticker was not an issue but to be on a safer side buy a yellow insulation tape and put two strips adjacent to each other on the front right headlamp
-keep 20-30 minutes spare for White Rann ticketing
-road are good but be careful of over speeding on Bhuj-Dhorodo, Bhuj-Lakpath/Koteshwar, Bhuj-Dholavira on the state highways. Lots of cattles on the road or they just appear from begind the bushes.
-epecial caution on the Dhordo to Bhuj after seeing the sunset at White Rann. Buffaloes may be on the road, so be careful on the speed as during night they arent visible at all till 10-15 meters
-carry water bottles as some streches are bereft of any humans.
-if you are non vegetarian then you can fulfill your craving at Bhuj, old town in Noorani Retaurant. (Google Map Link - https://goo.gl/maps/eEPMdiwbDkT2)
-To enjoy White Rann keep some time for Dholavira. There is a 10km stretch that has white Rann on both side.
-You may try avoiding NE1 as I found some insane drivers driving at 60kmph with L sticker and chatting among them to people with mobile phone while driving to young Johnnies driving like playing Live need for speed. The Anand Old route is too good to drive,
-may skip Bhujodi, nothing exciting
-take SP (Sardar Patel Bypass) to avoid Ahmedabad
-plan a separate visit to Statue of unity as its is chaotic there at this time.

Details with picture later

Total KMS Driven 2823.5 kms
(Thane-Bhuj-Bhuj Local-Mata Nu Math-Lakpath-Koteshwar-Bhuj-Mandvi-Bhuj-Dhordo-Bhuj-Dholavira-Gandhidham-Bhuj-Bhuj Local-Thane)
(Bhuj-Dhordo-Bhuj was in my friends vehicle so you may add the distance.)
Fuel Eco - 12.3 km/L
Vehicle - Toyota Crysta Diesel 2.8 G Auto
Overall Avg Speed 61km/h
Driving Mode - Eco (applied power mode to overtake at some places on NHs)

Thane Kapurwadi Jn to Bhuj
Start 5.30 AM End 7.45pm
Two food break - total 50 minutes (bio break included)
Powernap - 30 minutes (bio break included)
Total Driving time less breaks - 12 hours 40 mins

Two food break - total 45 minutes (bio break included)
Powernap - 20 minutes (bio break included)
Total Driving time less breaks - 11 hours 05 mins till Fountain and then almost an hour from Fountain Signal on AMD Hway to Kapurwadi Jn

Hello,

Some good inputs there. We are planning to visit Kutch on the 26th of Dec, but have only 2 full days to stay. Can the most interesting spots be covered? And yes,we are staying with a friend in Gandhidham, not Bhuj, is that advisable ? Also starting from Vadodara or Ahmedabad, how is the road leading towards Gandhidham or Bhuj, how much time can i expect to cover it? Traveling with family, so any more required inputs appreciated.

Regards,
Devyaani
Old 19th May 2019, 13:09   #145
NKN
BHPian

Hello, I am driving from Pune to Gir- somnath-Dwarka later in the week, Plan is to start from Pune @ 3 am to reach Ahmedabad around 2pm and stay overnight before proceeding onwards. Any suggestions for places of stay in Ahmdebad will be welcome as we are looking forward to visit Gandhi Ashram, riverfront, Old city etc as time permits.
Old 19th May 2019, 22:01   #146
BHPian

Best to stay At hotels in SG Highway (Prahladnagar to Thaltej stretch). The places you mentioned for visiting in Ahmedabad will be 30 minutes drive. Further, while starting your onward journey to gir you will not have to worry much about the city traffic.
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 14:30   #147
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai ->Ahmedabad ->Udaipur current conditions

I'm planning a road trip to Udaipur leaving this Monday. Will be stopping over at Ahmedabad as the halfway point overnight. How are the roads along the complete route currently ? Also has Ahmedabad recovered from the recent bad weather ?

On the way back we will have an overnight halt at Baroda instead of Ahmedabad.

Also after Udaipur I would like to spend one more night in another place either close to it or preferably towards the route back to Mumbai.
Any recommendations would be appreciated
Old 8th August 2019, 14:37   #148
BHPian

Re: Mumbai ->Ahmedabad ->Udaipur current conditions

Better option would be Mumbai - Baroda-- Halol -- Godhra -- Udaipur route.
Old 9th August 2019, 14:06   #149
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai ->Ahmedabad ->Udaipur current conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who_are_you View Post
Better option would be Mumbai - Baroda-- Halol -- Godhra -- Udaipur route.
I was keeping Baroda for the return trip since it's closer to Mumbai so ideally a bit of an easier drive before I hit the chaos of Mumbai
Old 2nd December 2019, 15:45   #150
BHPian

Hello folks,
I'm driving to Bharuch from Pune next weekend (Dec 14)
Plan to do this in a single day since total distance is equal to Pune-Goa, sans any ghats.
I plan to start at 5 AM from Wakad, PCMC Pune.
My plan is to break at Fountain Inn at Mira Bhayandar just before the bridge for breakfast and continue towards Bharuch shortly after.

Wakad - Fountain Inn - 5 AM to 8 AM
Fountain Inn - Bharuch - 9 AM to 2 PM

Does this look doable? Experienced folks may comment.

A few questions:
  1. Is the yellow tape on right headlamp still needed?
  2. Good eateries for breakfast around Mira Bhayandar? I know of a "Fountain Inn" But i'd like to know if there are any other better on the highway
  3. Lunch options in and on the way to Bharuch - I expect to be in Bharuch by 2 PM - meeting folks who're on Narmada Parikrama. So would like to have lunch together with them - but if not, I'd like to be well fed when hungry

Also, I have Dec 15 and 16 to spare. Are there any good tourist spots around Bharuch that I can cover? I need to be back home on Dec 17.
Not so sure of Statue of Unity. Wife says not very "anniversary" type place

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks