Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2014, 09:27   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Bekal Fort (Kasargod) - Kabini : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you want to splurge, there is a Taj in Bekal. You may want to check it out.
There are wants and then there is reality But I think Malabar is a better place to splurge
Old 3rd April 2014, 01:23   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
There are wants and then there is reality But I think Malabar is a better place to splurge
If you don't want to splurge, Nalanda Resorts at Nileshwar is a decent option. Their wooden cottages are pretty good for the price.
Old 9th April 2014, 12:36   #93
BHPian

I'm planning a vacation with family in Kabbini in the 1st week of May in a Swift VDI, We will be staying at The Serai. Need help from fellow BHPians on the road conditions betweem Mysore to Kabbini? I have done umpteen trips between Bangalore and Mysore and aware of the notorious humps :-)
Old 9th April 2014, 12:52   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haque View Post
I'm planning a vacation with family in Kabbini in the 1st week of May in a Swift VDI, We will be staying at The Serai. Need help from fellow BHPians on the road conditions betweem Mysore to Kabbini? I have done umpteen trips between Bangalore and Mysore and aware of the notorious humps :-)
the SH till Handpost and there on to Kabini dam is very good. That last mile would be rough towards the resort. Do confirm on that aspect.
Old 9th April 2014, 13:40   #95
BHPian

Quote:
the SH till Handpost and there on to Kabini dam is very good. That last mile would be rough towards the resort. Do confirm on that aspect.
Thanks Ampere! Will keep that in mind and update on the last mile once I've completed the journey.
Old 7th May 2014, 11:48   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haque View Post
Thanks Ampere! Will keep that in mind and update on the last mile once I've completed the journey.
Just returned after a nice 3 day trip to Kabini. We stayed in Serai Kabini. The roads all the way till Antarasanthe village are very good. Only the last 5-6kms is just mud roads. I saw they are starting to lay tar on the mud roads now. Hopefully this should extend the tar surface for some more distance. I could do Bangalore to the resort in <5 hours.
Old 19th May 2014, 06:56   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
The best route to Bekal now is Bangalore - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Gundya - Kukke - Jalsur - Cherkala - Bekal. Excellent roads all the way upto Bekal.
And really thanks for this suggestion. Beautiful roads. I was on this stretch a couple of weeks back and was absolutely delighted. But the only negative (which I think is nothing new) is indefinitely long winding roads, which make the co-passengers uncomfortable. But apart from that, absolute joy. It was lashing on Hassan 4-lane and the whole of Shiradi/Kukke was green.

The roads are end to end to tarred with not a single pot hole. The only risk one runs is if traffic gets stalled on Shiradi before Gundya. So if one has already driven till that stretch, he is left high and dry without an option. (Bisle cannot be one). But otherwise a belter of a road. Gundya-Kukke is an absolute bliss. (Seeing the Bisle ghat road exit at Kukke churns out new emtions! )

And of course the added advantage is one can visit the temple too!
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 09:40   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But the only negative (which I think is nothing new) is indefinitely long winding roads, which make the co-passengers uncomfortable. But apart from that, absolute joy. It was lashing on Hassan 4-lane and the whole of Shiradi/Kukke was green.
Yes, the roads are too curvy. The stretch between Kukke and Jalsoor was very narrow earlier. Two cars couldn't pass at a single point of time. It was a nightmare to drive on this stretch. Now I'm only worried about the water pools at almost all the curves. This may lead to potholes. There is one more layer of tar yet to be laid and they should take care of it.

Quote:
The only risk one runs is if traffic gets stalled on Shiradi before Gundya. So if one has already driven till that stretch, he is left high and dry without an option. (Bisle cannot be one). But otherwise a belter of a road.
If one drives until Shiradi and find that its blocked, the official diversion will be through Charmadi. But if someone is going towards Kukke, Sullia, the best option is to take the Manjurabad fort road at Sakaleshpur, and then go towards Madikeri through Somawarapete. The stretch between Sakaleshpur - Somawarapete is not that great. Its similar to the Sakaleshpur - Mudigere route. The Sampaje - Sullia stretch will be completed soon.

Quote:
Gundya-Kukke is an absolute bliss. (Seeing the Bisle ghat road exit at Kukke churns out new emtions! )
Yes, the SH-85 green signboard at the exit of Bisle ghat near Kukke always tempts us to take the road. But sometimes I feel that it'll be better if the Bisle ghat road is left as it is. This way the serenity and peaceful atmosphere of the Bisle can be preserved. I can't imagine tourists in yellow boards cooking, washing, bathing and performing all other nonsense acts in Bisle .

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 19th May 2014 at 09:42.
guyfrmblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 10:27   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And really thanks for this suggestion. Beautiful roads. I was on this stretch a couple of weeks back and was absolutely delighted. But the only negative (which I think is nothing new) is indefinitely long winding roads, which make the co-passengers uncomfortable. But apart from that, absolute joy. It was lashing on Hassan 4-lane and the whole of Shiradi/Kukke was green.

The roads are end to end to tarred with not a single pot hole. The only risk one runs is if traffic gets stalled on Shiradi before Gundya. So if one has already driven till that stretch, he is left high and dry without an option. (Bisle cannot be one). But otherwise a belter of a road. Gundya-Kukke is an absolute bliss. (Seeing the Bisle ghat road exit at Kukke churns out new emtions! )

And of course the added advantage is one can visit the temple too!
Quote:
Yes, the roads are too curvy. The stretch between Kukke and Jalsoor was very narrow earlier. Two cars couldn't pass at a single point of time. It was a nightmare to drive on this stretch. Now I'm only worried about the water pools at almost all the curves. This may lead to potholes. There is one more layer of tar yet to be laid and they should take care of it.
I will be driving to Kadamane estate Sakleshpur this weekend. In fact, the orignal plan was to go to Bekal too but dropped it. Does it make sense to drive to Bekal just to enjoy this road?
Old 19th May 2014, 10:38   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Does it make sense to drive to Bekal just to enjoy this road?
If you have free time, then definitely you can drive to Bekal. The roads are a bliss to drive. Before starting from Sakaleshpur, just ensure that the Shiradi is not blocked. Then you are all set to go.

The stretch between Kukke and Jalsoor has lot of twists which can sometimes be more than you expected. Between Jalsoor and Kasargod, there are some blind curves where you can expect some private buses belting down. Be cautious about these two things.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 10:59   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Does it make sense to drive to Bekal just to enjoy this road?

You can do Sakleshpur-Gundya-Kukke. Gundya-Kukke itself is a beauty. So you can stay at Sakleshpur and use a day to drive to Kukke. That way you can also enjoy the drive and also can visit the temple. A drive to Bekal just for the drive, I wont say makes sense.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 11:16   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can do Sakleshpur-Gundya-Kukke. Gundya-Kukke itself is a beauty. So you can stay at Sakleshpur and use a day to drive to Kukke. That way you can also enjoy the drive and also can visit the temple. A drive to Bekal just for the drive, I wont say makes sense.
I need to reach Kadamane at 12:00 Noon as their check in time is 12:00. Can I start at 5:00 AM, drive to Kukke and be back at Kadamane at 12:00 ?
Old 19th May 2014, 11:20   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I need to reach Kadamane at 12:00 Noon as their check in time is 12:00. Can I start at 5:00 AM, drive to Kukke and be back at Kadamane at 12:00 ?
With no blockages at Shiradi, you should be able to make it by 10:30 to Kukke. Give about 30-40 minutes to temple. So if you start back by 11:30, you should be able to make it to Sakleshpur by 1/2PM .
Old 19th May 2014, 11:24   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Before starting from Sakaleshpur, just ensure that the Shiradi is not blocked. Then you are all set to go.
Quote:
With no blockages at Shiradi, you should be able to make it by 10:30 to Kukke. Give about 30-40 minutes to temple. So if you start back by 11:30, you should be able to make it to Sakleshpur by 1/2PM .
Are there frequent blockages in Shiradi? Is there any way to know it in advance (Ask Locals)?

Also, is the Kukke temple worth visiting ( not from a pilgrimage point of view)
Old 19th May 2014, 11:47   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also, is the Kukke temple worth visiting ( not from a pilgrimage point of view)
The Kukke temple is famous only from a pilgrimage point of view. But other than that you dont have a reason to drive to Kukke (apart from the drive of course).
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks