Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2014, 11:04   #136
BHPian

Sorry, Hotel Mythri @ Sakleshpur not Mayura @ Hassan.
Old 23rd September 2014, 11:37   #137
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore - Bekal Fort (Kasargod) - Kabini : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
Planning to do Taj, Bekal this weekend. Hoping to drive the scenic Hassan - Sakleshpur - Gundya - KukkeSubr route. Thanks guys for the frequent updates. Google shows a turn-off before Shiradi, so I'm assuming the last comment on this stretch does not apply to the above route.
You do go through Shiradi till Gundya. At Gundya, you turn left to Kukke. Surely scenic, esp the the Jalsoor-Cherkala stretch. Smooth road running parallel to a river.

Quote:
Was wondering if there are any recos for lunch enroute. With kids would prefer to stop @ a Kamat Upachaar or A2B types for a quick SIndian break. I see only one Mayura @ Hassan.
Start by 4/5AM you should be at Taj for a late lunch. You should have crossed Kukke by 9/10AM. You can break Kamat Chanarayapatna or Swathi or CCD for breakfast before Hassan.
Old 24th September 2014, 05:31   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You do go through Shiradi till Gundya. At Gundya, you turn left to Kukke. Surely scenic, esp the the Jalsoor-Cherkala stretch. Smooth road running parallel to a river.

Start by 4/5AM you should be at Taj for a late lunch. You should have crossed Kukke by 9/10AM. You can break Kamat Chanarayapatna or Swathi or CCD for breakfast before Hassan.
Wow!! Ampere, that was quick and most helpful. I see that lovely winding Cherkala stretch you mean. Hope to have an update soon.

Few meals compare with a Ella sadhya @ Bekal, but we have to be prepared for the boys. Given the prospect of delays in that ghat section, your breaka suggestions are more than welcome.

4AM start with kids, seems ambitious and tough (on the parents nerves, I mean). Thanks again and have a fun weekend.
Old 24th September 2014, 06:40   #139
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
4AM start with kids, seems ambitious and tough (on the parents nerves, I mean). Thanks again and have a fun weekend.
That is true, but it also helps a lot, as you can cover a big distance, while they are sleeping in the car. Another point to note, there are any places to break after Kukke.

May be a tea shop on the way (which actually is good) or some where near the Adoor temple exit. But no decent restaurants/toilets.
Old 24th September 2014, 09:53   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4AM start with kids, seems ambitious and tough
Quote:
May be a tea shop on the way (which actually is good) or some where near the Adoor temple exit.
There is a small hotel at a place called Doddathotha between Kukke and Jalsoor. The guy there prepares very tasty Mangalore buns and other Malnad items. He prepares only one type of item per day. I don't know the name of the hotel but one can ask anyone over there for the Mangalore buns hotel.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 24th September 2014 at 09:55.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2014, 23:04   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
There is a small hotel at a place called Doddathotha between Kukke and Jalsoor. The guy there prepares very tasty Mangalore buns and other Malnad items. He prepares only one type of item per day. I don't know the name of the hotel but one can ask anyone over there for the Mangalore buns hotel.
Update from Bekal.The Shiradi ghat section between Sakleshpur and Gundya is a disaster!! I can't believe this is a popular pilgrimage route, and to add to our woes, are the constant flow of oil tankers!! The turn off from Mangalore road sees a fantastic improvement in the road surface, though the drive itself was too twisty to be pleasant for anyone except the driver.

We did stop at Kamat Upahaar, and tried that little bakery @ Doddathotta (next to Vijaya Bank), though he didn't have anything particularly interesting.

But thanks, guyfmblr for the hat tip. We will chk on him again on our return Sunday. A long while later, near the turnoff from Jalasoor we encountered a solitary Bangalore Iyengar bakery, and that was it for miles on end.

But the Taj, Bekal makes those nine hours completely worth it, with their superb splash pool villas!!! If anyone is coming from Mangalore, factor in plenty of time, as lots of road laying seems to be on this season.
Old 25th September 2014, 23:47   #142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We did stop at Kamat Upahaar, and tried that little bakery @ Doddathotta (next to Vijaya Bank), though he didn't have anything particularly interesting.
I remember break at one bakery. Dont know if its the same.

Quote:
A long while later, near the turnoff from Jalasoor we encountered a solitary Bangalore Iyengar bakery, and that was it for miles on end.
The other option, take a breather at Kukke.
Old 29th September 2014, 23:03   #143
BHPian

Quote:
I remember break at one bakery. Dont know if its the same.

The other option, take a breather at Kukke.
Just back from Bekal, and there is a newish large Comfort Inn, at Kukke with an excellent restaurant on your right from the lobby. Pleasant staff, clean toilets and what looked to be extended service hours as we got there around 4pm. Only recommend if u can keep your food down through the ghat section.

Sakleshpur is still a disaster, and the rains yesterday were constant from Gundiya all the way to Bangalore. Hell has a special place for the guys who switch on hazard lights while traveling on the fastest lane at 100+. Thanks again, guys for your help.
Old 29th September 2014, 23:46   #144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just back from Bekal, and there is a newish large Comfort Inn, at Kukke with an excellent restaurant on your right from the lobby. Pleasant staff, clean toilets and what looked to be extended service hours as we got there around 4pm. Only recommend if u can keep your food down through the ghat section.
The day I was driving back, I just saw the hotel being opened up. They said the next weekend the restaurant would be functional.

It seemed a fairly big and comfortable hotel for stay in Kukke.
Old 3rd October 2014, 20:03   #145
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning a quick trip, will take Bangalore-Gundya-Kukke-Jalsoor-Cherkala-Bekal route.

Going towards Kukke for first time, have been to Mangalore earlier via Shiradi. Hope I won't be constrained by lack of a GPS Navigation device.

Please let me know if this route summary is correct:
Gundya-Turn left onto SH114 & go upto Kukke temple cross (almost like a dead end, left goes towards temple)
Turn right towards Jalsoor (SH85)
At Jalsoor turn left towards Cherkala/Chengala (SH55)
At Cherkala, turn left towards Chattanchal
At Chattanchal, turn right onto Kalanad Road
Merge onto NH17 & turn left towards Bekal

@ampere - Thanks for the route map. Hope the above summary is the correct interpretation from the map. Please let me know if anything is incorrect/missing.

Are there any places where it can be confusing and any landmarks there ?

Also, any recommended fuel stations beyond Sakleshpur ?
Old 3rd October 2014, 20:22   #146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
@ampere - Thanks for the route map. Hope the above summary is the correct interpretation from the map. Please let me know if anything is incorrect/missing.
Yes that is correct.

Quote:
Are there any places where it can be confusing and any landmarks there ?
Only the last mile is confusing.You need to be vigilant to spot exits beyond Cherkala. A GPS definitely helps. If Google works nothing like it.

Quote:
Also, any recommended fuel stations beyond Sakleshpur ?[/b]
You have at Kukke. On the way back you can also fill at Bekal itself. There are more than one.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 20:14   #147
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Back from a trip to Bekal, Got perfect directions from these folks and managed 2 different routes without a GPS device - so first a big shout out to @ampere and @guyfromblr for the invaluable inputs on route / road conditions!

Onward journey:
Bangalore-Nelamangala-NH 48-Kunigal-CR Patna-Hassan-Sakleshpura-Gundya-Kukke-Jalsoor-Cherkala-Chengala-Chattanchal-NH 17-Bekal
Excellent roads upto Hassan. After the Peenya elevated road toll of Rs.20, on NH 48 there are 3 tolls of Rs.41, Rs.41 and Rs.35, the last one seems unfair since there is construction activity and bad stretches and the 2 laned CR Patna bypass, why pay toll for this ?

Road condition slowly deteriorates after Hassan and the entry into Sakleshpura all the way till you exit the town and upto Shiradi ghat is simply PATHETIC, resembles a war zone!
In fact the rest of Shiradi is manageable (I went only upto Gundya) if you're in a low traffic period and is much better compared to the Sakleshpura stretch!

Gundya-Kukke is excellent and green/scenic.

At Kukke go up to the dead-end, turn right at the "T" junction towards Sullia/Jalsoor (left goes to the Kukke temple).

Kukke-Jalsoor is very nice but twisty, if you do it at slower speeds and less braking you will not have any problems and also enjoy the greenery around.

Nearnig Jalsoor (at Doddathota I think) there is a Y-fork with the left leading towards the Sullia-Madikeri route and right towards Jalsoor. This stretch is slightly narrow going through estates.

At Jalsoor there is an X-shaped junction and you need to go on the diagonal straight segment (criss-cross) towards Cherkala.

The road to Cherkala is excellent, beautiful forest road with lots of trees all around and is very well marked 2 lane roads wide enough for 2 big cars. This section also has some winding mini-ghat roads as well. On this section you will pass via Adoor which has a famous temple as well. At Pooadka I also saw a Maha Vishnu temple and another Vishnu temple somewhere else, don't remember now. Seems to be a good sector for the temple goers.

At Chengala go upto the dead-end and turn left at the "T" junction, this a wide road and in good condition, there is a small ghat section as well (this is most likely SH 69). Go on this road upto a small town where there is a mosque and many shops, this is Chattanchal.

Take the first right turn near these shops onto another wide road Kalanad Road. Go to the dead-end and turn left at the "T" junction. This is NH 17 (wow, this is really a NH?). Next 6Km or so is a construction zone with road widening work in progress.After this, road is patched and narrower but condition is good leading upto Bekal fort in the next 3-4 Km.

Journey Stats (Trip meter):
Gundya - 265Km, 8am to 8:15am, tea break
Kukke - 285Km, 8:30 to 9am, breakfast at Vijay Comforts, neat and good place, food was decent
Sullia-Jalsoor Y fork - 322Km
Jalsoor - 329Km, 10:30am
Cherkala - 370Km, 11:30am
Chattanchal (Kalanad Road jucntion) - 375Km, 11:40am
NH 17 junction - 381Km, 11:50am
Kappil Beach road junction - 384Km, 12pm

Return journey
Wanted to try the alternate route via Sullia-Sampaje, so took this (wanted to avoid Mysore-Bangalore in the evening):
Bekal-Chattanchal-Chengala-Cherkala-Jalsoor-Sullia-Madikeri-Somwarpet-Shanivarasanthe-Arkalgud-Holenarasipura-CR Patna-Kunigal-Nelamangala

Bekal to Jalsoor - detailed in onward journey.

Sullia-Madikeri - first 10Km or so there is road widening construction work in progress, definitely manageable and no way comparable to Sakleshpur (my benchmark for roads now ) and after that road is excellent. 2 bridges on the way being constructed so some deviations there on short muddy stretches but not alarming, easily manageable. The Sampaje ghats are good to drive on, the mantra is to maintain slower speeds with less braking. Of course there were some morons here as well who would speed and overtake only to stop every 5-10Km for their passengers to throw up by the roadside! But this would not deter them from repeating the same again after restarting, kudos to their die-hard spirit!

At Madikeri circle turn right (look for Mysore directions).
At the next circle turn left onto SH 88 towards Kushalnagar. 2-3 Km ahead you will see a turn off to left towards Abbey Falls/Somwarpet.
At the next circle turn right towards Somwarpet (Straight goes to the falls). This road is slightly narrow but in excellent condition, and winding through estates, no traffic.

At Somwarpet, turn right towards Shanivarasanthe, again road is excellent and goes through estates.

At Shanivarasanthe, turn right towards Arkalgud (did not see any signage here), newly laid road and is good. Nearing Arkalgud, 1 or 1 short bad patches, due to the monsoons, otherwise fine.

After Mallipatna, there are some stretches that are concreted and good, few speed breakers but big, gradual ones can be easily negotiated.

At Holenarasipura turn right, cross the railway track and then your're on the moon/mars for 2Km only mud and gravel bumpy ride till the Government Polytechnic. From here the surface magically improves.

At CR Patna turn right onto the NH 48 towards Kunigal/Bangalore, which is excellent.

Journey Stats (Trip meter):
Bekal - 400Km, 12pm
Jalsoor-Sullia Y fork - 462Km, 1:15pm
Merge with Sullia-Madikeri highway, turn left - 465Km, 1:30pm
Madikeri - 518Km, 2:45 to 3:30pm, break for lunch at Coorg Regency/Coorg Sahara restaurant, just ok.
Left turn towards Somwarpet - 521Km, 3:40pm
Somwarpet - 558Km, 4:30pm
Shanivarasanthe - 578Km, 4:55pm
CR Patna - 644Km, 6:15pm, heavy rain from here so slower speeds from here to Kunigal
Stopped at Swathi Delicacy near Yediyur from 7:30 to 8pm for a coffee break.
The toll booths on NH48 were choked and each took at least 15 minutes to cross.
There was a 2Km traffic jam near the NH 4 junction and finally reached home at 10:45pm via Yeshwanthpur-Mekhri Circle-Ulsoor lake
Home - 800km, 10:45pm

Last edited by Eddy : 7th October 2014 at 00:23. Reason: As requested
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 14:14   #148
BHPian

In late Dec, I am planning a trip from Bangalore - Bekal - Kakkabe - Bangalore, with 2 nights stay at Bekal and 1 night stay at Kakkabe (to get a mix of both beach as well as mountain :-)).

If another family comes along, I am thinking of renting a self-drive XUV. Else we'll be in my SX4.

What route would you suggest? Any other tips appreciated.
Old 8th October 2014, 14:40   #149
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
At Holenarasipura turn right, cross the railway track and then your're on the moon/mars for 2Km only mud and gravel bumpy ride till the Government Polytechnic.
Spoke to a friend today who is familiar with routes around these places. He mentioned that there is an alternate route via Agrahara that one can take to avoid this horrendous 2 Km stretch at Holenarasipura, so yes there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Anyone knows this route ?
Old 8th October 2014, 19:57   #150
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's how NH 17 looks near Uduma, just before you reach Kappil beach & Bekal.
This construction zone is till you reach about 2-3 Km near Bekal fort.
Bangalore - Bekal Fort (Kasargod) - Kabini : Route Queries-nh17.jpg

EDIT: This is SH 57 - the state highway connecting the towns of Kasaragod and Kanhangad.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th October 2014 at 12:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks