Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2016, 21:20   #226
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Bekal Fort (Kasargod) - Kabini : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
My question: Is it safe to travel in the night on this route? I will be able to start only by 4PM from BLR along with my wife and 2 kids ( a 4 yr old and 8 yr old). Vehicle is polo GT TSI.
My two bit gyan to you is, never repeat never do a road trip at night in India. There are multiple things that can go wrong. It's not worth taking a chance especially when you are the lone male member driving with family.

Last edited by rednikhil : 1st May 2016 at 21:21.
Old 28th May 2016, 00:45   #227
BHPian

My wife & I are going to Bekal on June 4th. Is the route "Bangalore -> Hassan -> Sakleshpur -> Gundya -> Subramanya -> Sullia -> Bekal still the best route to use? Any idea if the rains have affected the roads again?
Old 28th May 2016, 04:53   #228
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
My wife & I are going to Bekal on June 4th. Is the route "Bangalore -> Hassan -> Sakleshpur -> Gundya -> Subramanya -> Sullia -> Bekal still the best route to use?
Yes that's that is the route to be taken.

Quote:
Any idea if the rains have affected the roads again?
You need to check out on that front. This time it's supposed to be heavy is what I read.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 11:04   #229
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My wife & I are going to Bekal on June 4th. Is the route "Bangalore -> Hassan -> Sakleshpur -> Gundya -> Subramanya -> Sullia -> Bekal still the best route to use? Any idea if the rains have affected the roads again?
Yes this route is good (not sure about current conditions though).
On the return journey, you can do Bekal-Sullia (turn is before Jalsoor)-Madikeri-Somwarpet-Shanivarasanthe-Arkalgud-Holenarasipura-Channarayapatna-NH 48 to Bangalore via Yediyur and Nelamangala-Bangalore. This is what we did on our trip to Bekal, so got a chance to drive on both routes
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 16:05   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
On the return journey, you can do Bekal-Sullia (turn is before Jalsoor)-Madikeri-Somwarpet-Shanivarasanthe-Arkalgud-Holenarasipura-Channarayapatna-NH 48 to Bangalore via Yediyur and Nelamangala-Bangalore. This is what we did on our trip to Bekal, so got a chance to drive on both routes
Would love to do this route too. Is the road quality excellent?
Old 31st May 2016, 16:15   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Roads are excellent all the way, it is scenic with lots of curves. With less traffic till Holenarsipura, it is breeze to drive this stretch. Only thing which I vary of taking Madikeri-Somwarpete-Shanivarsante route are the elephants. This part of the section is notorious for wild elephants and locals suggests to avoid this route post 7 in the evening.
DragonHawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 20:52   #232
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The driver in you will love this, especially the Madikeri-Somwarpet section that goes through estates and is twisty
For that matter even Sullia-Madikeri is nice via Sampaje ghat.
If you don't have seniors or kids with motion sickness traveling with you, do try it on the return leg.
Also look up earlier posts for the alternate route between Holenarsipura and Channarayapatna via Agrahara, good vistas and photo ops with hills and Windmills around!
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 21:02   #233
BHPian

Quote:
The driver in you will love this, especially the Madikeri-Somwarpet section that goes through estates and is twisty
For that matter even Sullia-Madikeri is nice via Sampaje ghat.
If you don't have seniors or kids with motion sickness traveling with you, do try it on the return leg.
Also look up earlier posts for the alternate route between Holenarsipura and Channarayapatna via Agrahara, good vistas and photo ops with hills and Windmills around!
The Madikeri-Somwarpet section would be new to me I have done the Sullia-Madikeri section thrice and loved it. Will try the Madikeri-Somwarpet section this time. Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 09:33   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Madikeri-Somwarpet section would be new to me I have done the Sullia-Madikeri section thrice and loved it. Will try the Madikeri-Somwarpet section this time. Thanks
Do share an update on road conditions between Madikeri - Somwarpet - Shanivarasanthe - Channrayapatna. Need to drive to Madikeri last week of June and will return on Sunday afternoon. Want to avoid the plague that is Mysore road and hence exploring options. If the road conditions are good, might even drive up to Madikeri on this route.

Has anyone tried Kushalnagar - Ramanathapura - Arkalgud route?

Last edited by procrj : 9th June 2016 at 09:34. Reason: grammar
Old 9th June 2016, 10:58   #235
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Do share an update on road conditions between Madikeri - Somwarpet - Shanivarasanthe - Channrayapatna. Need to drive to Madikeri last week of June and will return on Sunday afternoon. Want to avoid the plague that is Mysore road and hence exploring options. If the road conditions are good, might even drive up to Madikeri on this route.

As per last reports here, both these are good but better double check the update on Ramanthapura route again on this thread (I may be wrong on this one).
If you take the Madikeri-Somwarpet route, do try the Holenarasipura-Channarayapatna alternate route via Agrahara, windmills and photo opportunities on that section (look up earlier posts).

Last edited by NPV : 9th June 2016 at 10:59.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 14:16   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ramanthapura route again
Did check and it looks fine. Might end up taking this as I will be travelling with folks who do get sick in the twisties.
Quote:
alternate route via Agrahara, windmills and photo opportunities on that section (look up earlier posts).
Thanks for that heads up. Will take SH121 between Holenarasipura & Channarayapattna
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2016, 13:37   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post

Completed an amazing trip of Bekal. Got a little delayed in updating the status here. Superb roads all throughout. We got back just in time (before the rains). Took the same route both ways since had to return from Puttur on the way back. We were staying at Vivanta by Taj. Google Maps was perfect until the last kilometre where it should the hotel to be on the highway. Its actually 2kms off the highway and a Taj signboard helped us.

The route I followed was:

Bangalore -> Nelmangala -> Hassan -> Sakleshpur -> Gundya -> Subramanya -> Jalsoor -> Adhur -> Bovikanam -> Bekal.

I started from home at 7am and reached the hotel by 3pm. KR Puram was jammed even at this hour on a weekend. I was out of the city by 8am and took one break for breakfast at A2B near Hassan for about 45 mins.

There was a bit of traffic between Sakleshpur and Gundya while going to Bekal but road was pretty clear on the way back. Overtaking the laboriously slow moving tankers is a big pain. Hats off to the patience of the truck drivers.

The best part of the entire route is the drive between Gundya and Subramanya. What am amazing drive Brilliant tarmac and great landscape (forest on both sides). While returning there was light drizzle and we rolled the windows down to the amazingly cool breeze.

Bangalore - Bekal Fort (Kasargod) - Kabini : Route Queries-20160606_165812.jpg
rohanak1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2016, 20:14   #238
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Its actually 2kms off the highway and a Taj signboard helped us.

The route I followed was:

Bangalore -> Nelmangala -> Hassan -> Sakleshpur -> Gundya -> Subramanya -> Jalsoor -> Adhur -> Bovikanam -> Bekal.
I thought Google does show Vivanta off highway? A couple of years back that SH was in shambles (The SH from where you exit to Vivanta/Lalit.)

Also I hope by the route you mean: Jalsoor-Cherkala ?

Quote:
I started from home at 7am and reached the hotel by 3pm. KR Puram was jammed even at this hour on a weekend. I was out of the city by 8am and took one break for breakfast at A2B near Hassan for about 45 mins.
If you can manage a 4AM start, you can be at Sakleshpur for breakfast or you can push till Kukke for a late breakfast. That allows you to be at Bekal for lunch. The last 150km are twisties. Especially the exit roads from Kukke towards Jalsoor.

Last edited by ampere : 11th June 2016 at 20:15.
Old 11th June 2016, 22:47   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I thought Google does show Vivanta off highway? A couple of years back that SH was in shambles (The SH from where you exit to Vivanta/Lalit.)
Surprisingly, google maps shows the correct location now When I was travelling it showed it a little ahead of "Hotel Bekal Palace" and bang on the highway. I actually took a U-turn and came back and saw a boarding saying Vivanta by Taj - 2kms to the left. This road is in excellent condition as of now. It is only a 2 lane road but quite large and large shoulder space (not tarred) where vehicles can park for the shops. Runs parallel to the railway track and fun to drive actually. Says Kochi-Panvel highway but someone would die of frustration driving on an Indian 2-lane highway from Kochi to Panvel.

Quote:
Also I hope by the route you mean: Jalsoor-Cherkala ?
Yeah this route.

Quote:
If you can manage a 4AM start, you can be at Sakleshpur for breakfast or you can push till Kukke for a late breakfast. That allows you to be at Bekal for lunch. The last 150km are twisties. Especially the exit roads from Kukke towards Jalsoor.
Actually after Hassan there don't seem to be any good places for food. A 4AM start will not be approved by my better half
rohanak1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2016, 00:03   #240
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Actually after Hassan there don't seem to be any good places for food. A 4AM start will not be approved by my better half
I also thought the same. There are some decent places in Sakleshpur. Or then one needs to drive all the way to Kukke. But then I guess its too long.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks